2012-2013 Louisiana State University - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also interviewed on the 22nd, and haven't heard anything yet either....however, I did get an email today from certiphi asking for a consent to the AAMC background check...??? Anybody else who interviewed last month get one too?

Members don't see this ad.

Update here: I received a letter today saying I am in the Acceptable List. (IS)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 22nd of January. Today, I received an email of from certiphi and an acceptance letter (finally)!

I interviewed on the 22nd of January. Today, I received an email of from certiphi and an acceptance letter (finally)!
Did you get a call from Dr. Kennedy before your letter came?

and congrats!!! :)

Shreveport is considered a safety school by many students in south Louisiana and I'm sure many of them will choose NOLA over S'port if they are accepted to both.

On the MSAR, Shreve actually has a slightly higher GPA (for both overall and science) in its tenth percentile and its median for acceptances...but N.O.'s median MCAT is one point higher. So the stats are basically equal for both schools. I guess people think LSU-S is a safety school because of the location? Though I personally know 3 people from South LA who chose LSU-S over LSU-NO last cycle after being accepted to both. It'd be a hard decision for me, but I think LSU-S does have a lot of acceptable list movement because of people choosing to live in New Orleans over Shreveport.

I'm also from South LA and I chose Shreveport, and I know of several others this cycle who have made the same choice. I think it just depends on what kind of atmosphere you want for med school, really.

Does anyone know of an II that went out recently? I'm still waiting on Shreveport...

Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless plug...

Just a reminder that I've created a Facebook group for all of us to get to know one another a little bit better. There are about 12 of us in it now. PM me if you'd like to be added to it as well.

Has anybody that was put on the "acceptable list" heard back since then with acceptance/otherwise. I was put on this list way back in October. I know that it says something about most people on the acceptable list will eventually be accepted, but when should we expect to hear back?

Has anyone else w?ho interviewed January 8th been accepted off of the acceptables list? Still waiting :/. When is the last day for people to say yes or no to Shreveport without losing their deposit? Is it in April or May? I've heard both.

Has anyone else w?ho interviewed January 8th been accepted off of the acceptables list? Still waiting :/. When is the last day for people to say yes or no to Shreveport without losing their deposit? Is it in April or May? I've heard both.

You can't hold a spot at Shreveport + another school past April 15. But deposits aren't due til May 15.

The double-hold deadline for most schools is in May, but for Shreveport it is April since classes start in July.

Hey I am still waiting on Shreveport, and I was wondering how they send their II. Do they send them via E-Mail or what? I have received the E-Mail updating me on my application status, but every time I see it my heart skips a little, because I'm not sure if its an II!
Thanks y'all!

Hey I am still waiting on Shreveport, and I was wondering how they send their II. Do they send them via E-Mail or what? I have received the E-Mail updating me on my application status, but every time I see it my heart skips a little, because I'm not sure if its an II!
Thanks y'all!

It's via e-mail.

ThrdtimesCharm, when were you complete? I know they've sent out at least two rounds of invites, but they will continue to invite people through March. Last cycle the interviews concluded on 3/27.

Last edited:
It's via e-mail.

ThrdtimesCharm, when were you complete? I know they've sent out at least two rounds of invites, but they will continue to invite people through March. Last cycle the interviews concluded on 3/27.
I got the first completed email around the middle of September I think. Thanks for the info!

Holy schnikes, yes. I got an email from them today and thought I was going to lose bladder control. Turns out it was just an invite to follow them on Twitter.
I know! I can't stand that. Especially checking it on my phone. I keep seeing application update emails, but it cuts off, so all I see is "Shreveport School of Med..." And I get all excited for nothing.

Hey has anyone received a status update recently?

+1

Has anyone heard when they are going to put out the cost of attendance for 2013-2014?

No but I'll pay it regardless. Just put it on the huge tab we'll be running up over the next 4 years...

Do you think it would send the wrong message to call Dr. Kennedy up and ask point blank if there's anything I can do/ he needs from me to get an interview? I don't want to apply again for a 4th year. If there's any chance of an interview, I want to do whatever I need to get it. I've been told that they actually interview people until July for the Fall class. So I feel like there's a very small chance but still a chance even this late in the year.

I know that last year, I had received an official rejection letter by this time of year. I haven't received one yet for this year. I'm doing the Mississippi College SMP so I wonder if they're waiting on Spring grades or something to make the final disposition.

I say go for it, Smurfette. How else are you going to know where you stand, if there's a chance for an interview, or if they're waiting for your spring grades, if you don't call?
I don't know how accessible Dr. Kennedy himself is, or if you'll get straight answers from anyone, but I think you should definitely call the office. Best to get a handle on your situation as early as possible so you can plan accordingly and maybe get some anxiety relief.
I really hope you can score an interview! And if there are a few left, calling shows your sincere interest.

Aren't a bunch of people about to be taken off the acceptable list? Does the admissions committee meet right after April 15?

Aren't a bunch of people about to be taken off the acceptable list? Does the admissions committee meet right after April 15?
I'm pretty sure that's true. Hopefully a lot of us on the Acceptables list will know more the week after next.

The last "group" interview was March 26th. but he said he will still have interviews just no more grouped ones only individual. I am also from MC!!!!! i would def call he may be waiting on ur grades!!! good luck!!

Yes. On April 15th all of the students that are holding more than one school will be automatically rejected from Shreveport and therefore this will cause more openings for people on the acceptable list to be accepted!!!

Yes. On April 15th all of the students that are holding more than one school will be automatically rejected from Shreveport and therefore this will cause more openings for people on the acceptable list to be accepted!!!
So does that mean that, if accepted after April 15 because of other people leaving their spots at Shreveport, we would be hearing back by the end of this week (Friday/Saturday)? Or would it most likely be next week?

So does that mean that, if accepted after April 15 because of other people leaving their spots at Shreveport, we would be hearing back by the end of this week (Friday/Saturday)? Or would it most likely be next week?
You may have to call in to figure that one out. I know they have the meetings Thursday at 4, so my guess would be this thursday/friday, but this is LSU so they may take their time sending out offers.

Unless they got permission to hold for a few more weeks. But I am assuming that there will be a lot more people being accepted soon.

I was looking over the pre-mat documents and saw that we're required to purchase a computer from the school on the first day of orientation. I know they use Macs, and I already have one that's a few years old. Anyone know what the software/hardware requirements are to get your own laptop approved? I've heard of people bypassing this...and I'd rather not tack the price of a new Mac onto my student loan tab.

Edit: received a reply from the school saying that my 4 year old Mac would not suffice. Gotta get the new one. =/

Last edited:

I had four friends get a call earlier today ( april 16th)!! therefore they have started to call!! I do believe they meet thursday. So, we must just wait and hope we get a call soon! :xf::xf::xf:

Is it worth calling Admissions for a status update? Or should we all just sit tight?

Is it worth calling Admissions for a status update? Or should we all just sit tight?

idk if it will help to call bc they can't tell you where you are on the acceptable list. Therefore, I don't know what you would be able to find out :/

Would an RN with a 27 mcat and a gpa between 3.6-4.0 have a shot at an interview next year?

Would an RN with a 27 mcat and a gpa between 3.6-4.0 have a shot at an interview next year?
I think so. They definitely take your experiences into account, and more and more applicants are non-traditional - I myself have been working in research for the past two years. Your GPA is good (better than mine), and your MCAT was about where mine was (I had a 28), and I got an II in early December. I'd say you have a shot, so go for it.

Has anyone heard anything yet? Or are they just at a standstill with the waitlist?

I'be been waitin too. If its anything like last year, shreve will add to their class up until mid July. Also I've heard that there is a Facebook group made of people accepted this year, and that it already has over 100 people in it, so there can't be too many spots remaining.

I'be been waitin too. If its anything like last year, shreve will add to their class up until mid July. Also I've heard that there is a Facebook group made of people accepted this year, and that it already has over 100 people in it, so there can't be too many spots remaining.

Yes, it's a private group (I'm in it). It has 104 people in it but I know a few of these are upperclassmen that made the group and are posting real estate listings and such.
According to the MSAR, last year's entering class was 119 people so it seems like there will be some more acceptances eventually. But I don't know how many incoming first years either don't have facebook or aren't in the group.

Yes, it's a private group (I'm in it). It has 104 people in it but I know a few of these are upperclassmen that made the group and are posting real estate listings and such.
According to the MSAR, last year's entering class was 119 people so it seems like there will be some more acceptances eventually. But I don't know how many incoming first years either don't have facebook or aren't in the group.
Well, that's a little reassuring. I guess at this point the best approach is to start applying again :/.

I've been a part of the class since October and don't have a Facebook; I'd imagine some other people are doing the same.

I have heard of two ppl getting the call last week! but im still waiting also! so they are still calling and accepting ppl. Just hoping to get a call soon!

Is there anyone else that has applied, not received an interview and still not officially rejected?

What about how many still on the acceptable list but no acceptance? That has no other acceptance or would attend Shreveport if given the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.