2012-2013 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^

I know that in-state students get that $5k in-state grant. So that's probably where the 58% comes from, though I can't be sure.

Members don't see this ad.

^

I know that in-state students get that $5k in-state grant. So that's probably where the 58% comes from, though I can't be sure.

I think you might be right. 39% of their class last year was in-state.

Last edited:
I thought that as well but I saw online that 58% of students get scholarships or grants. Are they just so small that it is irrelevant? Or is that Wisconsin Scholarship for in-state students driving their numbers up?
In general, you're more likely to get them in future years than as incoming students. As I understand it, parental income and in-state residence are major criteria for most of them though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, at the social before my interview, I'm pretty sure I heard a student say that there is very little money available for 1st and 2nd years, but they try to hook up some of the 3rd and 4th years. I can't recall what criteria was given, but since I'm IS I'm hoping that is one of them.

Hey Guys,
I have some financial aid questions. I will call the financial aid office as well but I'd like to hear from you guys. So I am going to Medical College of Wisconsin in the Fall and the only thing I am worried about is their estimated living expenses. I believe they estimate about 12,000 a year for living expenses. I am married and my husband is going to be a full time student so he will not be working the first 2 years of my medical school. Is it correct that we cannot borrow more than the estimated expenses? Or can we borrow over the estimated expenses in private loans? If anyone has any insight on this, or if there are any current married student that have any suggestions please let me know! I think we will have to end up taking out the max amount in my loans and in his loans in order to have enough in living expenses. But I just want to understand clearly, can you only borrow private loans up to the max estimated amount of attendance? Thanks for any help!

Hey Guys,
I have some financial aid questions. I will call the financial aid office as well but I'd like to hear from you guys. So I am going to Medical College of Wisconsin in the Fall and the only thing I am worried about is their estimated living expenses. I believe they estimate about 12,000 a year for living expenses. I am married and my husband is going to be a full time student so he will not be working the first 2 years of my medical school. Is it correct that we cannot borrow more than the estimated expenses? Or can we borrow over the estimated expenses in private loans? If anyone has any insight on this, or if there are any current married student that have any suggestions please let me know! I think we will have to end up taking out the max amount in my loans and in his loans in order to have enough in living expenses. But I just want to understand clearly, can you only borrow private loans up to the max estimated amount of attendance? Thanks for any help!

I also share this concern and it would be great if a current student could comment on this, I started looking at housing, utilities, and the cost of living near MCW, there seems to be very little wiggle room for unexpected expenses. Do a lot of students get outside help?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Definitely a concern of mine as well. I have been looking into this topic for a few weeks. In years past there were things that were called non-verified student loans but I assume they were done away with in recent years. It was student loan money which could be borrowed over the cost of attendance and not requiring the schools consent. That would be a great solution for those of us who needed the extra loan money to get by now, but I don't think that is an option anymore. Private loans or government loans will both be verified through your school and deducted from your need as a student.. up to the cost of attendance, above that you cannot take more financial aid. From what I can tell, every school now must draft a general budget that should work for every student... when they add those expenses to tuition and fees that equals your cost of attendance and from what I get out of it you can't take a penny more unless it is an emergency which you can prove such as you have already spend X amount of dollars allotted for your car maintenance and now one of your tires blew up or something. Sounds like most schools are very strict with this, I will be interested to see what MCW has to say please post back if you call on this. I am not married but I am a non-traditional student which has a modest car payment and consumer debt which I will remain responsible for when medical school starts. With that said I don't know if I can make ends meet given then current budget. For married students I think the only extra thing they can add to your budget is for child care if you have children who attend daycare. I find it crazy that they don't allot more money for food, clothing, or anything else to those with families. This subject has caused me a lot of sleepless / restless nights in the last month or so.

Last edited:
The best thing to do with the financial aid stuff is call or email the Financial Aid office. In my experience they have been exceptionally helpful, especially Linda Paschal.

Hey everyone, did you guys get a confirmation that the admissions office got your credit report?

Hey everyone, did you guys get a confirmation that the admissions office got your credit report?

I emailed the office a copy of my credit report and asked them to verify that it was okay. I received a warm reply and confirmation about a week later. I think unless you specifically ask for a reply back that they might just add it to your file without notification. If you're curious, definitely give them a call and I'm sure they'd let you know right away.

Hey everyone!

So for the life of me, I cannot find clinical clerkship information for M3 & M4 years on their website. I was just trying to find out how the rotations are broken up/how many weeks per rotation etc. Anyone know where this information is located?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

So for the life of me, I cannot find clinical clerkship information for M3 & M4 years on their website. I was just trying to find out how the rotations are broken up/how many weeks per rotation etc. Anyone know where this information is located?

Thanks!

Check out the 2nd page of this pdf: http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/ddenzin/M1M4AcademicPeriods20122013Jul1.pdf

Since incoming students will be on the Discovery Curriculum, the change for M3-M4 years will be some sort of revisit on basic science topics because M1-M2 will have a lot of dedicated clinical exposure time. They are still not sure how to implement this, but probably via some sort of periodic case-based learning session.

From the website:
" Vision for the M3-M4 Years in the Discovery Curriculum

As in the traditional curriculum, in the M3 year, students rotate through six clerkships with an option to take a one month elective or vacation. Students have the option to continue with dedicated time for Pathway activities in the M3 year. In the M4 year, students participate in sub- internships (Sub-I), Integrative Selectives and vacation time. In the Discovery Curriculum, as time spent in direct patient care and other clinical exposure increases in the M1-M2 years, core basic science topics will be integrated into the M3-M4 years. This venue will not be one in which to teach topics that have not been covered previously in the curriculum; rather, it will provide an opportunity to revisit core concepts with clinical applications in the context of providing patient care. The clerkship directors and basic science faculty are currently working to determine content and design the delivery system. Multiple formats – such as case-based active learning sessions – will be considered in order to best integrate with each clinical rotation and engage students with different learning styles."

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

The new curriculum's M3 & M4 years are not finished yet. The current M1's are the first class in the new curriculum and so they are currently still working out what 3rd and 4th years will look like. I believe the final design is supposed to be released late spring/early summer.

Generally, I've heard that the goal is to group "like" clerkships together into 3 sets, so surgery/OB/Gyn would be in one block, Family Med/Peds/Psych in another, and Medicine/Neurology in a third. I think there are 10-ish weeks of electives.

Thanks for the info, PostHaste. Do you know if it's possible for M4 students to swap when they take med/peds/FM sub-I (in July) to January and instead elect to take the surgery sub-I in July instead?

I ask because some students may declare a certain specialty and therefore want to take the associated sub-I before applying through ERAS.

Thanks for the info, PostHaste. Do you know if it's possible for M4 students to swap when they take med/peds/FM sub-I (in July) to January and instead elect to take the surgery sub-I in July instead?

I ask because some students may declare a certain specialty and therefore want to take the associated sub-I before applying through ERAS.

That's only an example of what it *could* look like under the current system. The fourth year is 10.5 months long, and you can take your required subis during any of the first 10 months. Most students take a subi or two in their field of interest in July/August of their fourth year, and leave the one they're not as directly interested in for later. (For example, a couple of my good friends are taking their medicine subi in March, so just started today)

Definitely call and make sure they have ALL your stuff. I sent my credit report back in October and when I called last week they said it was not in my file and the office worker had to go "look in the back room" to find it. So just call before assuming they have your file all put together. They do not email you confirmation about what you've sent them.

Anyone know if they are still sending out II for waitlist? I've been sitting in small pool forever and still haven't gotten a final word that all interviews concluded... hoping they are still sending some invites out.

anyone know if they are still sending out ii for waitlist? I've been sitting in small pool forever and still haven't gotten a final word that all interviews concluded... Hoping they are still sending some invites out.

+1

I was just invited to interview for the waitlist

I had already started studying to retake the MCAT, I don't know if it is worth it to fly out there for a chance to get waitlisted. What do you all think?

Withdrew my acceptance here today. Hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you guys! Good luck! :thumbup: :luck:

I had already started studying to retake the MCAT, I don't know if it is worth it to fly out there for a chance to get waitlisted. What do you all think?

What do you have to lose? Prepare for the interview well. Attend the interview and impress. Study for the MCAT after the interview, while waiting for decisions/continuing to improve your app for next cycle. I wouldn't be so dismissive of this cycle yet.

I'd go. You never know!

Kick some ass at interview. Tell them how serious you are about everything and they let you know on interview day that top 40 people (ish) get into school due to that many withdrawls. I mean they interview a lot but if you got one they obviously like your application enough to get an interview! :) I say go. What's another 300$ for the chance to attend next year as well as avoid the cost of another application cycle!?

Best of luck!

Does anyone have any idea of how much the waitlist moves for this school?

Kick some ass at interview. Tell them how serious you are about everything and they let you know on interview day that top 40 people (ish) get into school due to that many withdrawls. I mean they interview a lot but if you got one they obviously like your application enough to get an interview! :) I say go. What's another 300$ for the chance to attend next year as well as avoid the cost of another application cycle!?

Best of luck!

Honestly? Read the last post DIRECTLY above you. Its the top 25% of waitlist..about 40-60

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the waitlist...movement...non-movement...lateral movement?...retrograde?...

Anyone?

Haha I can sense the sarcasm when I see it. Wasn't falling for that one! :) merp

Didn't mean to get "rises" out of anyone, my skimming skills fail me sometimes and this was one of the times. :) Sorry for the inconvenience.

Didn't mean to get "rises" out of anyone, my skimming skills fail me sometimes and this was one of the times. :) Sorry for the inconvenience.

Oh no no, no worries. Was just like a uhhh really? Its right there! Haha like one of those kids who asks a question right after the professor gave them a direct answer to that exact question :p

Is it weird to come to second look alone?

I'm not going but if I were I'd be going solo, so in my opinion not weird at all.
I hadn't even thought about it until I just RSVPed and it asked you to add guests

Withdrew my II for March 22nd for a spot on the wait-list. I was very fond of this school when choosing schools to apply to but I have been accepted into a couple schools and don't want to spend the money. My decision has nothing to do with the school itself just the timing so dont want to discourage or alter anyone's perception of the school.

Is it weird to come to second look alone?

You can take me. :thumbup:

Honestly hadn't even thought about...but then again...I didn't think about it when I went to prom by myself either...soooo...

You can take me. :thumbup:

Honestly hadn't even thought about...but then again...I didn't think about it when I went to prom by myself either...soooo...

Haha what a loser!

^^ :) maybe I can get a rise outta you? Hahaha.

Do you know everyone's real life identity? I thought I was special! :(

Only the fortunate...but I also suspect a co-worker may be a super hero...stay tuned...

...also fb friend me...

Wait, people RSVP'ed for second look? I still have yet to get an email about second look, nothing in my spam either...

Wait, people RSVP'ed for second look? I still have yet to get an email about second look, nothing in my spam either...

Ha, weird. I just got my second one. They invited me twice. Just RSVPed. Goin' solo as well! Its a friday....

Any current students mind posting how much you are paying as an individual to say in a cheap place at MCW... per person with utilities and everything. Say with 1-2 roomates?

Wouldn't most people be going solo? I mean unless you live in Wisconsin or close by, it would be kind of ridiculous to fly out a significant other (or I guess parent?) to look at the school and meet students. But maybe I'm just saying that because I'm single. Anyway, excited to meet some of you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.