2012-2013 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't most people be going solo? I mean unless you live in Wisconsin or close by, it would be kind of ridiculous to fly out a significant other (or I guess parent?) to look at the school and meet students. But maybe I'm just saying that because I'm single. Anyway, excited to meet some of you all.

I was considering driving 8 hours, but realized that it'll probably be more expensive than flying for one with gas/maintenance both ways. Asking my girlfriend to skip studying/social life and buy a plane ticket seems a little over the top. I understand other people (especially married ones) might feel differently though.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students tell me how long MCW gives you to study for Step 1?

dgsilvervid: I can answer this. Not a current student, but live in the area. Prices for rentals vary a lot on location as is true anywhere. However, in the Wauwatosa area you can expect to find a 2-3 bedroom from $700-1,000 a month. Can get higher, of course, too, but a duplex not too far from campus, for example would likely be $700-1,000 ish. $1,000 is really the upper end. I am sure if you go a bit further from campus you could find a duplex even cheaper than $700, but you have to be careful what area of town you are in. West of campus is generally more expensive and more suburban. East and North of campus less expensive and more urban with pockets of bad areas to avoid. If you want to live in downtown Milwaukee (far east of campus) prices are all over the map. You can pay a heck of a lot more right in the city. There are areas of the east side/Riverwest (both of which are just north of downtown Milwaukee, and east/north of MCW) that can be pretty affordable and if you like nightlife or want to have more of an urban scene to live in then this a decent option. UW-Milwaukee campus is on the east side so there are plenty of affordable rentals aimed toward students. Depending on traffic you can get to MCW from the Riverwest/East side in 20-45 minutes. (Depends on traffic and the route you take). I lived on the east side once and worked in Tosa and took North Ave all the way west and got to work usually in about 30min with stop and go lights. This route takes you through less nice parts of town, but not horrible during the day. Tosa is more "happening" now more than ever. There are lots of great places to eat, close proximity to shopping (from grocery stores to a large and nice mall near campus), nice parks, etc. It's a good place to live. However, because of this you may find rentals on the upper end. Just south of campus near the zoo (Bluemound Rd area) could get you some affordable duplex's or 2 bedroom apartments with a Milwaukee address but still within minutes of Tosa/campus. I personally pay $800/month for a huge 3 bedroom, 11/2 bath townhouse with full basement, separate entrance, central air, full kitchen with dishwasher, and two parking spaces. I live probably too far from campus for anyone from out of town to want to move to, but certainly close enough to commute. So, that is the scoop. Sorry to be so long winded, but if you are not from the area, you need to know what to expect and where and where not to go. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional details. The local paper (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) is not the best for rentals, but it can give you a good idea of what is out there. Check out their website jsonline.com. There is a link on the top for rentals classifieds. Look at West/Wauwatosa listings if you want to stay close to campus. Plus, there are lots of little local papers with listings and numerous postings on campus. MCW should have a student life section online with additional info on finding housing with links, etc. Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
dgsilvervid: I can answer this. Not a current student, but live in the area. Prices for rentals vary a lot on location as is true anywhere. However, in the Wauwatosa area you can expect to find a 2-3 bedroom from $700-1,000 a month. Can get higher, of course, too, but a duplex not too far from campus, for example would likely be $700-1,000 ish. $1,000 is really the upper end. I am sure if you go a bit further from campus you could find a duplex even cheaper than $700, but you have to be careful what area of town you are in. West of campus is generally more expensive and more suburban. East and North of campus less expensive and more urban with pockets of bad areas to avoid. If you want to live in downtown Milwaukee (far east of campus) prices are all over the map. You can pay a heck of a lot more right in the city. There are areas of the east side/Riverwest (both of which are just north of downtown Milwaukee, and east/north of MCW) that can be pretty affordable and if you like nightlife or want to have more of an urban scene to live in then this a decent option. UW-Milwaukee campus is on the east side so there are plenty of affordable rentals aimed toward students. Depending on traffic you can get to MCW from the Riverwest/East side in 20-45 minutes. (Depends on traffic and the route you take). I lived on the east side once and worked in Tosa and took North Ave all the way west and got to work usually in about 30min with stop and go lights. This route takes you through less nice parts of town, but not horrible during the day. Tosa is more "happening" now more than ever. There are lots of great places to eat, close proximity to shopping (from grocery stores to a large and nice mall near campus), nice parks, etc. It's a good place to live. However, because of this you may find rentals on the upper end. Just south of campus near the zoo (Bluemound Rd area) could get you some affordable duplex's or 2 bedroom apartments with a Milwaukee address but still within minutes of Tosa/campus. I personally pay $800/month for a huge 3 bedroom, 11/2 bath townhouse with full basement, separate entrance, central air, full kitchen with dishwasher, and two parking spaces. I live probably too far from campus for anyone from out of town to want to move to, but certainly close enough to commute. So, that is the scoop. Sorry to be so long winded, but if you are not from the area, you need to know what to expect and where and where not to go. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional details. The local paper (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) is not the best for rentals, but it can give you a good idea of what is out there. Check out their website jsonline.com. There is a link on the top for rentals classifieds. Look at West/Wauwatosa listings if you want to stay close to campus. Plus, there are lots of little local papers with listings and numerous postings on campus. MCW should have a student life section online with additional info on finding housing with links, etc. Best of Luck!

You truly are a ( gentleman / lady ) and a scholar. Thank you so much for all of that. :thumbup:

Does anyone know how long MCW takes to send out financial aid awards once you've sent in all required docs?

Does anyone know how long MCW takes to send out financial aid awards once you've sent in all required docs?

My stuff is all in and complete. They said it would be the end of next month.

Good morning, dgsilvervid:

Thank you for your e-mail. I'm writing to confirm for you that we have received all the information from you to consider your application for financial aid complete. In late April you will receive information regarding your award. You will be instructed to complete a few additional steps however in the meantime there isn't anything additional you need to do. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Linda DiCesare

Any current students mind talking about their financial aid packages? Is it as grim as it seemed during the financial aid presentation on interview day?

Any current students mind talking about their financial aid packages? Is it as grim as it seemed during the financial aid presentation on interview day?

+1 really would appreciate hearing more on this too

The official story is that M1s don't get much in the form of grants or scholarships, excepting the ~$5000 WI resident credit that all WI residents get. You should not have any problem getting enough loans to cover the full cost of attendance. For your M2+ years you can apply for Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation scholarships, these are in the couple-few thousand range. I was told by Fin Aid that the institutional scholarships and grants are somewhat more common in M3-M4 years.

Personally, I was offered no "free" money from MCW. I'm probably average stats overall for the class, not a URM, from a pretty average family (nurses for parents) in a rural area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to help, dgsilvervid! I hope to be an MCW student myself entering in 2014. Fingers crossed!

This has probably been answered already but I couldn't find it--does MCW have a lecture recording system so that we can review them later at home?

This has probably been answered already but I couldn't find it--does MCW have a lecture recording system so that we can review them later at home?

Yes they do. My current m4 cousin told me it was one of his favorite parts about m1 year before they mandated the participation part people would skip lecture all the time and watch it at their convince at any time during the day/night to fit their own best learning. Now you're required to go more often but I'm almost positive its still recorded both audio and video. Not 100% but confident. Anyone else verify?

Yes they do. My current m4 cousin told me it was one of his favorite parts about m1 year before they mandated the participation part people would skip lecture all the time and watch it at their convince at any time during the day/night to fit their own best learning. Now you're required to go more often but I'm almost positive its still recorded both audio and video. Not 100% but confident. Anyone else verify?
Woah woah woah .. can someone elaborate on the mandatory participation thing? I must have missed this

The red challenge flag is on the field...

I'm familiar w/ a few attendance requirements but for things like the pathways and discovery room lessons, not the general lectures in the big auditoria. I'm sure an M1 will clarify for us.

Woah woah woah .. can someone elaborate on the mandatory participation thing? I must have missed this

...and why the hell are you two up so early on Sunday???

Its the group stuff. The weekly learning is the stuff they call mandatory I guess. It's the polls they take on the iPad that show graphs on the tvs they have in that room I'm sure you remember. You don't remember them talking about the group polls? Almost like clicker questions, if you will.

The red challenge flag is on the field...

I'm familiar w/ a few attendance requirements but for things like the pathways and discovery room lessons, not the general lectures in the big auditoria. I'm sure an M1 will clarify for us.

...and why the hell are you two up so early on Sunday???
Working... woof.

Its the group stuff. The weekly learning is the stuff they call mandatory I guess. It's the polls they take on the iPad that show graphs on the tvs they have in that room I'm sure you remember. You don't remember them talking about the group polls? Almost like clicker questions, if you will.
Nah tbh I was so nervous on my interview day that alot of info didn't quite make it in. Okay thanks!

There are 4 hours most every week that are required - the Foundations of Clinical Medicine and Bench to Bedside classes. These are the pseudo-TBL classes where we use our iPads the most. Mandatory Pathways are one Thursday per month-ish. Some of the other classes will have mandatory-attendance 2-hour classes a couple times a semester as well, but it's not very common. There is only lecture capture, not live streaming, but the tech department is pretty good about getting things posted within a couple hours.

There are 4 hours most every week that are required - the Foundations of Clinical Medicine and Bench to Bedside classes. These are the pseudo-TBL classes where we use our iPads the most. Mandatory Pathways are one Thursday per month-ish. Some of the other classes will have mandatory-attendance 2-hour classes a couple times a semester as well, but it's not very common. There is only lecture capture, not live streaming, but the tech department is pretty good about getting things posted within a couple hours.

Thanks for the written confirmation! Helpful!

Hey guys. I just withdrew from this school. I hope that will help with the waitlist movement. MCW was my first acceptance, and I have really fond memories of my interview day there. It really seems like a great community.. and I hope my spot goes to someone who genuinely wants itt. Good luck guys.

This may be a dumb question, but why do we have to submit transcripts after already doing so for AMCAS? If it's to check this semester's grades, do they ever give exemptions if you're not in school this year? It may be a lame motivation, but I've got like 7 schools--would really prefer not to do that all over again.

This may be a dumb question, but why do we have to submit transcripts after already doing so for AMCAS? If it's to check this semester's grades, do they ever give exemptions if you're not in school this year? It may be a lame motivation, but I've got like 7 schools--would really prefer not to do that all over again.

Not a dumb question. I had the same because I too was Not enrolled this year and everything is the same as aproved AMCAS but since this is the only school for me I just did it instead of asking....

I've found that most of the deadlines are not coming up for a while so I'm just going to wait until after May 15th when I've made a decision rather than have to send transcripts to multiple schools.

I've found that most of the deadlines are not coming up for a while so I'm just going to wait until after May 15th when I've made a decision rather than have to send transcripts to multiple schools.
I think errant meant he attended 7 schools so would have that many transcripts to forward.

I'm wondering about this too..

I think errant meant he attended 7 schools so would have that many transcripts to forward.

I'm wondering about this too..

Oops--this is def the right interpretation. Otherwise I would have expected some ridicule for such douche baggery.

Yeah, back in the day it sounded like such a good idea to take a class here or there while working in the summer. Such little foresight...

Oops--this is def the right interpretation. Otherwise I would have expected some ridicule for such douche baggery.

Yeah, back in the day it sounded like such a good idea to take a class here or there while working in the summer. Such little foresight...

Oh yeah, my b. probably just didn't read correctly. I've also attended five or six schools

Re: transcripts.

I was told that all the transcripts sent to AMCAS are not forwarded to schools. I can only assume that the whole point of that process, then, was GPA calculation. So at the end of the day, yes, even we working stiffs have to request all transcripts for MCW.

Cheers gang.

Perhaps odd question, mainly for M3/M4's who are currently students:

I noticed that the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center is basically run by 6 different groups, one of them being MCW. Have you found a lack of cohesion compared to medical centers with one operating body, like some other schools have, has affected your rotations at all? Specifically in terms of red tape, or lack of consistency in what is expected of students at the different facilities.

Secondly, is Froedert/CHW the main "community" hospital for Milwaukee? I have a strong interest in emergency medicine and I'm curious as to the number of ED visits at MCW's affiliates. I mainly ask this because I know MCW is some distance away from downtown/other parts of Milwaukee, and something makes me think that a lot of the emergencies in those areas are going to another closer hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
question for current med students:
so let me preface this by saying that I understand that being in medical school means I will need to make sacrifices when it comes to time with family and friends, but I was wondering if it's totally unreasonable to think that I can miss a day of two of classes during the first week back after winter break? I know it's still a ways away and our schedule could always be different than what yours was this year, but did you have required events this week? my family goes on a trip every year around that time and while I wouldn't try to miss the entire week, I was thinking I could catch up with them Thurs-Fri. I know it prob seems presumptuous to be talking about skipping class before I've even started, but knowing that lectures are taped and considering it's the first week back after break I thought it might be possible. Again I hope this doesn't come across like I'm not serious about medical school or the sacrifices I know I will need to make, but just curious how quickly things pick up after break

Perhaps odd question, mainly for M3/M4's who are currently students:

I noticed that the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center is basically run by 6 different groups, one of them being MCW. Have you found a lack of cohesion compared to medical centers with one operating body, like some other schools have, has affected your rotations at all? Specifically in terms of red tape, or lack of consistency in what is expected of students at the different facilities.

Secondly, is Froedert/CHW the main "community" hospital for Milwaukee? I have a strong interest in emergency medicine and I'm curious as to the number of ED visits at MCW's affiliates. I mainly ask this because I know MCW is some distance away from downtown/other parts of Milwaukee, and something makes me think that a lot of the emergencies in those areas are going to another closer hospital.

Regarding the hospitals being in different groups, that's not really something that will affect you at all. Even Froedtert and Childrens, which have minimal to no coordination at the actual hospital level are pretty good about students for rotations. The actual academic departments (i.e. surgery, urology, etc) are shared between hospitals that you rotate through and coordinate things when you'll be in more than one. You're graded through a course director/coordinator that reports to the medical college and they all use a common form.

That said, we do also rotate in a number of other hospitals in the region, including Wheaton Franciscan St Josephs, Aurora St Lukes, Columbia St Marys, and a number of smaller clinics for FM. Consistency of what is expected of students in those hospitals does vary, especially compared to Froedtert, but the course directors do their best to minimize it. The environment is a different one though, with Froedtert being the more academic center. FMLH is a tertiary care center that gets referrals from all the way up at the upper peninsula of Michigan to parts of Northern Illinois, and has specialists that can do just about anything.

Regarding the ED, we definitely have a very busy one. Between Froedtert and Childrens, there's >100,000 visits/year (not sure what the breakdown is adult/kids, but I've been in both and they're *busy*). We're also the only level 1 trauma center in southeast WI and trust me, they bring patients in from all over the heck.

question for current med students:
so let me preface this by saying that I understand that being in medical school means I will need to make sacrifices when it comes to time with family and friends, but I was wondering if it's totally unreasonable to think that I can miss a day of two of classes during the first week back after winter break? I know it's still a ways away and our schedule could always be different than what yours was this year, but did you have required events this week? my family goes on a trip every year around that time and while I wouldn't try to miss the entire week, I was thinking I could catch up with them Thurs-Fri. I know it prob seems presumptuous to be talking about skipping class before I've even started, but knowing that lectures are taped and considering it's the first week back after break I thought it might be possible. Again I hope this doesn't come across like I'm not serious about medical school or the sacrifices I know I will need to make, but just curious how quickly things pick up after break

The biggest issues I can see is that you'll be missing lab and your mandatory attendance class. So the questions become 1) How much do you want to piss off your lab mates? 2) Do you want to take the hit on your grade for not attending class?

In the end you're an adult, so you'll need to make the decision and live with the consequences.

Just withdrew my acceptance - will be attending my state school. Hope I make one of your days/lives! :)

The biggest issues I can see is that you'll be missing lab and your mandatory attendance class. So the questions become 1) How much do you want to piss off your lab mates? 2) Do you want to take the hit on your grade for not attending class?

In the end you're an adult, so you'll need to make the decision and live with the consequences.

How much of the curriculum requires mandatory attendance?

How much of the curriculum requires mandatory attendance?

The occasional pathways core-session during both spring and fall semesters. In addition the following once a week classes:

Fall M1 - Foundations of Clinical Medicine
Spring M1 - Bench to Bedside & Clinical Apprenticeship (individual days may vary for CA)
Fall M2 - I assume it will continue to be Bench to Bedside & Clinical Apprenticeship
Spring M2 - No clue

The occasional pathways core-session during both spring and fall semesters. In addition the following once a week classes:

Fall M1 - Foundations of Clinical Medicine
Spring M1 - Bench to Bedside & Clinical Apprenticeship (individual days may vary for CA)
Fall M2 - I assume it will continue to be Bench to Bedside & Clinical Apprenticeship
Spring M2 - No clue

Hahaha. Aaahhhh. "Bench to Bedside: Teaching MD/PhD students how to interact w/ the opposite sex for 30 years..."

...sorry...was a quiet day...#inappropriateinnermonologues

Please let us know if y'all learned anything new or interesting at Second Look!!

Scrumtrelescence of the school was only amplified by the solid group of future classmates. As for specifics, I was piqued by the initiation of zombie anatomy for those who desire a survival element to the traditional course...

...also the announcement of giving each other pelvic exams was a little shocking, but you do get to pick your partner, so, it could work out for some...

Scrumtrelescence of the school was only amplified by the solid group of future classmates. As for specifics, I was piqued by the initiation of zombie anatomy for those who desire a survival element to the traditional course...

...also the announcement of giving each other pelvic exams was a little shocking, but you do get to pick your partner, so, it could work out for some...

:laugh::laugh:

+1 for using the slang word scrumtrulescent. Excellent description!

Status
Not open for further replies.