2012-2013 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A representative of Rosalind Franklin came to my school last semester and has really sold me on applying here. I hope I get accepted. :)

Last edited:
I have heard they are changing to P/F?
I don't know if that's entirely accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard they are changing to P/F?
I don't know if that's entirely accurate
They will be switching to P/F in 2013/2014. This will affect the class of 2017 and beyond (so this means you guys!). Unfortunately, this will not affect me as I am in the class of 2016--oh well ;)

They will be switching to P/F in 2013/2014. This will affect the class of 2017 and beyond (so this means you guys!). Unfortunately, this will not affect me as I am in the class of 2016--oh well ;)

Excuse my ignorance but what is P/F ?

A representative of Rosalind Franklin came to my school last semester and has really sold me on applying here. I hope I get accepted. :)

You're in most the threads for schools im applying to! lol Applying here as well

Good luck!

Of course ! Anyone has information on the campus neighborhood

My SO's older brother is going to be graduating from RFU next year. He absolutely loves it. The campus is supposed to be really nice. He lives in an apartment on a lake in a really nice area, lots to do around town. Not sure if you are a bar-hopper or not but I know he goes out to the bars a lot and has a good time. Seems like everyone is pretty supportive too which is nice.

Anyone have info on secondaries?

I was also wondering if anyone knows when RF sends out secondaries?

just got the secondary. you have to pay the fee first before they send you the secondary app link. haven't had the chance to pay yet, so im not sure if the prompts are different from previous years

just got the secondary. you have to pay the fee first before they send you the secondary app link. haven't had the chance to pay yet, so im not sure if the prompts are different from previous years

Same here. I applied to schools last year and out of a bunch of secondaries, I've never had to pay first before even seeing the prompts. :confused: Interesting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I applied to schools last year and out of a bunch of secondaries, I've never had to pay first before even seeing the prompts. :confused: Interesting...

You guys can click on the link that says "see the application in advance" without paying for it.

Here are the prompts for this year...

A. Short Essays
Please use the space provided below.

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

Same three questions as 2 years ago when I applied....Good luck guys.

Wait, you have to pay before they give their secondary? How would you even know to do that if they don't send you an e-mail telling you so?

Wait, you have to pay before they give their secondary? How would you even know to do that if they don't send you an e-mail telling you so?

:mad: you don't have to pay to see it. Did nobody read my post? :(

are there word/character limits?

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but the sample 2013 app is a PDF file and it literally has an empty white box where you're supposed to write your response - no lines or anything. Are we really supposed to print this and fill it out by hand?!?

I'm hoping the real one is a PDF form we can type in, but still. Not much space for any of the questions. Looks like you could do a paragraph or two for the first two questions, and only a few lines for the 3rd.

Also $105, ouch. Forgot this was one of the more expensive ones.

Here are the prompts for this year...

A. Short Essays
Please use the space provided below.

Same three questions as 2 years ago when I applied....Good luck guys.

Thanks! that is very helpful!

Does anybody know what an "inter professional environment" means?

means there aren't just med students. you'll be interacting with PT/OT/pharm/grad etc students

I'm finding it very difficult to write an essay without knowing how long it's supposed to be. Have any of you guys started writing your essays and if so how long are you making them?

I'm finding it very difficult to write an essay without knowing how long it's supposed to be. Have any of you guys started writing your essays and if so how long are you making them?

Just FYI, I applied 2 cycles ago as well, and then I believe the application was a hard paper copy with some sort of space limit. This year I kept my answers about as long as last year, about a paragraph or two. I don't know what they expect, but figured I would keep it around the same as last time.

Just FYI, I applied 2 cycles ago as well, and then I believe the application was a hard paper copy with some sort of space limit. This year I kept my answers about as long as last year, about a paragraph or two. I don't know what they expect, but figured I would keep it around the same as last time.

Yeah it's a PDF file that you print off and there's a blank white box where you write your answers. Definitely not much space - a paragraph or two sounds about right.

Yeah it's a PDF file that you print off and there's a blank white box where you write your answers. Definitely not much space - a paragraph or two sounds about right.

Well this year's is a online form to fill in and submit online, and I tried copy and pasting large amounts of text into the boxes to see how much it would let into the box and it never gave me an error message or limit. Hmm. I guess I will write an amount corresponding to how much they would have expected if the boxes were fixed and in pdf form.

Does anyone else think the "How did you hear about RF" question a little weird? I mean I just saw it on the MSAR and looked at their website. How long is this supposed to be?

Does anyone else think the "How did you hear about RF" question a little weird? I mean I just saw it on the MSAR and looked at their website. How long is this supposed to be?

Yes it's very awkward for me...are we supposed to lie and come up with something cheesy like "oh we love it so much it has always been our favorite" or just be honest and say "Yeah just saw it on MSAR, dawg"

Also, I've been writing like 4-5 paragraphs for the other two. ~500ish words for each. There's no way they would fit in the little boxes on the pdf, but they fit in the online text boxes...I'm worried :p

Has anyone else paid the fee from the link from the first email and have not yet received a second email? I just want to know if it's worth emailing them about it because I was supposed to receive an automated email right after paying, or if they send a real email and it's just the weekend so I'm not getting it until Monday.

Has anyone else paid the fee from the link from the first email and have not yet received a second email? I just want to know if it's worth emailing them about it because I was supposed to receive an automated email right after paying, or if they send a real email and it's just the weekend so I'm not getting it until Monday.

Hm I got one within a minute after paying, and it was on a Saturday. Did you get a confirmation page after paying?

Hm I got one within a minute after paying, and it was on a Saturday. Did you get a confirmation page after paying?

I also got a confirmation email minutes after paying. (on Friday)

Paying what? They didn't send out the secondary invites yet...?

Paying what? They didn't send out the secondary invites yet...?

I got a secondary. They definitely sent at least one batch out.

I submitted my AMCAS the morning it opened, if that helps. Maybe they just haven't sento ut the next batch yet.

Didn't get a secondary although I was verified 6/6

Not sure... I had 29Q, 3.35 BCPM and 3.56 total cum, both from undergrad. My graduate BCPM and total are both 3.59.

Well I have a 33Q MCAT, but only a 3.14 GPA. Only reason I have a chance at MD is because I'm a URM. Perhaps they screen out everyone <3.5 though.

They don't screen, everyone gets one. Just be patient. I haven't gotten a secondary at other schools that send one to everyone, so I'm sure they'll get to you soon :)

On another note, I got this email after submitting: "Thank you for your submitting your supplemental application and fee to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Your complete supplemental application is necessary for further consideration of your application. The final deadline for the supplemental application letters of evaluation and MCAT scores is December 1, 2012. Deadline extensions will not be permitted. We recommend you complete your application as soon as possible to be given the earliest consideration."

It should be complete, why would we submit without completing it? Is there something else we need to do?

Didn't get any email like that one either.

Didn't get any email like that one either.

Yes I know, that's the email you get after you submit your secondary.

Another question from me (sorry for the noobiness) what is the recommended letter policy here? They say 3 from faculty, but they weren't specific as to if those are supposed to be science or non-science. I am having a nightmare trying to find it on their website.

Yes I know, that's the email you get after you submit your secondary.

Another question from me (sorry for the noobiness) what is the recommended letter policy here? They say 3 from faculty, but they weren't specific as to if those are supposed to be science or non-science. I am having a nightmare trying to find it on their website.

Oh I thought you meant after you submitted the primary. Send them an email asking about what faculty they want it from

I had the same problem, so I came on here to see if I was in good company. Sounds like it's only us...but we were the only Sunday people, so I'm going to give it until tomorrow afternoon. (That doesn't really make sense considering Saturday got an auto response, but still....)

I submitted payment 10 or so hours ago, so it's not that I'm jumping the gun.

Well I have a 33Q MCAT, but only a 3.14 GPA. Only reason I have a chance at MD is because I'm a URM. Perhaps they screen out everyone <3.5 though.
..... no. this school has one of the lowest average gpa/mcat, I highly doubt you were screened out. It's a weekend people. adcoms have lives and their secondary email may not be automatically sent out by the computer. Just relax everybody.

..... no. this school has one of the lowest average gpa/mcat, I highly doubt you were screened out. It's a weekend people. adcoms have lives and their secondary email may not be automatically sent out by the computer. Just relax everybody.

Idk, I'm sure ADCOMs have indentured servants who send out secondray invites.

Status
Not open for further replies.