2012-2013 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Sorry to disrupt the serious talk about admissions, but I was wondering how many people from California are attending (or planning to attend) RFUMS in the Fall?

I just want to know how awesome Chicago will be with my fellow Californians =0.

I'm from Cali here and am attending RFU in the fall. I went to visit last week. The campus and surrounding areas (Lake Bluff & Lake Forest) were really nice but it is definitely NOT Chicago at all, it is complete suburbia. From what I saw when I was there, it looks to me that the area immediately south of the school is very upscale and high income, and the area north of the school is kind of the opposite and more rural. I didn't get that much of a chance to explore there, but at least the school isn't completely in the boonies. Campus looks nice.

I was very impressed by the city of Chicago and am really looking forward to exploring when I get the chance. It reminds me a lot of a flat San Francisco. It is a solid 40-45 minute drive from RFU though.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything recently? The thread went cold. Still maintaining up.

I called and Audrey said people have gotten in off the waitlist ... I guess they are people who don't post on SDN? I think the waitlists go through cycles ---some years lots of people get in off them, and some years very few.. I am assuming we are just an off year. I've basically given up hope. In previous years most movements was between the end of May and Mid June ....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Cali here and am attending RFU in the fall. I went to visit last week. The campus and surrounding areas (Lake Bluff & Lake Forest) were really nice but it is definitely NOT Chicago at all, it is complete suburbia. From what I saw when I was there, it looks to me that the area immediately south of the school is very upscale and high income, and the area north of the school is kind of the opposite and more rural. I didn't get that much of a chance to explore there, but at least the school isn't completely in the boonies. Campus looks nice.

I was very impressed by the city of Chicago and am really looking forward to exploring when I get the chance. It reminds me a lot of a flat San Francisco. It is a solid 40-45 minute drive from RFU though.

I think of Chicago as more like LA. There's a lot of slummy and dangerous territory, and the traffic is awful, but if you know where to go, there are some hidden gems. It's far more spread out than San Francisco, and the train coverage, at least in the southern portions, is reasonably abysmal.

There are, however, some wonderful areas that you'd have to be crazy not to love, and many of the suburbs have a lot to offer. Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Libertyville and Glenview are all pretty good options for fun in the first two years. The Beer Market, in particular, is a great BYOF establishment.

I think of Chicago as more like LA. There's a lot of slummy and dangerous territory, and the traffic is awful, but if you know where to go, there are some hidden gems. It's far more spread out than San Francisco, and the train coverage, at least in the southern portions, is reasonably abysmal.

There are, however, some wonderful areas that you'd have to be crazy not to love, and many of the suburbs have a lot to offer. Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Libertyville and Glenview are all pretty good options for fun in the first two years. The Beer Market, in particular, is a great BYOF establishment.

I would have to disagree. In my opinion, most of the city is great - filled with vibrant culture, great restaurants, and friendly people. Obviously there are dangerous areas, but by no means is this the majority of the city. Although there are not many train lines that serve the south, the train service downtown and to the north of the city is great. I would not suggest spending much time south of downtown anyway, as that is where most of the crime is located. The city is a 45-60 minute Metra ride away from the campus, and I think it would be a mistake not to explore the beaches, nightlife, and entertainment Chicago has to offer. Yes, some of the suburbs are very nice - there is no denying that. But, like every suburb, they are mostly quiet, family-oriented neighborhoods. In no way am I bashing the burbs, but it's hard to compare them to the city.

just got accepted this morning (OOS)!

haven't done any housing research yet, but if anyone's looking for a roommate PM me

I'm excited for the California people. Unfortunately, California schools are the best in the nation so it isn't always easy getting in. I'm glad we've seen some success at these midwest schools- the safehaven for us california folk.

Orientation starts in a week. Officially giving up hope. It really frustrates me that schools are allowed to interview as late as this place does and then basically stick everyone who they don't give an outright acceptance to on a waitlist. Either end your ibterview season earlier or actually reject people post interview in a timely fashion...so those who are on a waitlist know they are in a somewhat smaller group of people. This entire mentality schools have of waitlisting most people post interview rather than sending out more post interview rejections is ridiculously unfair and unnecessarily stressful for the applicant. Especially those of us who are older non trads and cant afford to risk not getting in the next cycle due to a late app. I know this rant doesnt change anything but I really needed to vent. Serious congrats to all those who got a spot. You totally deserve it and are truly blessed! For those of you who didnt end up getting in anywhere this cycle ... I feel your pain...mentally...emotionally and financially hah!

Orientation starts in a week. Officially giving up hope. It really frustrates me that schools are allowed to interview as late as this place does and then basically stick everyone who they don't give an outright acceptance to on a waitlist. Either end your ibterview season earlier or actually reject people post interview in a timely fashion...so those who are on a waitlist know they are in a somewhat smaller group of people. This entire mentality schools have of waitlisting most people post interview rather than sending out more post interview rejections is ridiculously unfair and unnecessarily stressful for the applicant. Especially those of us who are older non trads and cant afford to risk not getting in the next cycle due to a late app. I know this rant doesnt change anything but I really needed to vent. Serious congrats to all those who got a spot. You totally deserve it and are truly blessed! For those of you who didnt end up getting in anywhere this cycle ... I feel your pain...mentally...emotionally and financially hah!

It really sucks to hear that. I understand your frustration, but if you were able to get this far in the application process, then I have no doubt you will eventually get in should you choose to not give up. If somehow I ever become involved in any med school admissions process in the far future, I'll be sure to remember this as well as many other people's frustrations.:(

Keep in mind this is a two way street. Most matriculants apply to 15+ schools and will end up with a couple of acceptances. Med schools know this and can't afford to be accepting hundreds more people than they can take so they rely on the waitlist to determine who will actually attend should they be accepted. They use the waitlist so that the students that really want to attend will express their interest via calls, letters, emails etc. That said, don't lose hope if you were late and got that far in the process. The same thing happened to me two years ago and now I'll be starting at CMS next week. If you can apply again with an early app, you'll be in such a better position. If you think about it, your app in September will be competing for spots against 1000 applicants (for example) versus in December against 5000. Keep your chin up, and try and get some meaningful employment. I can say the forced year off (due to rejection) was definitely a blessing in disguise, while it didn't seem to be at the time. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard back from CMS? Do you know when they start sending out II?

Status
Not open for further replies.