2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got that phone call (and by 'just' I mean this morning). Interviewed 2/13

Woot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

This is my first post on SDN, so I'm not exactly sure how everything works. Just wanted to say that I got accepted to Stanford today. I'm super excited and it's a dream come true for me. Dr. Garcia called me on the phone.

Just to give some perspective, my medical school process has been pretty tough. Got denied by Hopkins and Michigan after interviews. Also got waitlisted by Chicago (continued to be specific) and Wisconsin (which was my home state school). I was starting to feel pretty hopeless like I'm sure many of you have felt. I just wanted to say that I'm sure things are going to work out well for all of you. Just have to wait it out and pray for the best.

Now, down to business. Here are my stats:

MCAT=35: BS=13, PS=11, and Reading=11

GPA: 3.80 sGPA=3.82 nsGPA=3.78

Undergraduate School: Stanford University

Extracurriculars: Habitat Restoration, Debate Society, and two years of research at a developmental neurobiology lab. There are more, but those are the main ones.

Major: Biology (neurobiology focus)

Minor: Economics

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

This is my first post on SDN, so I'm not exactly sure how everything works. Just wanted to say that I got accepted to Stanford today. I'm super excited and it's a dream come true for me. Dr. Garcia called me on the phone.

Just to give some perspective, my medical school process has been pretty tough. Got denied by Hopkins and Michigan after interviews. Also got waitlisted by Chicago (continued to be specific) and Wisconsin (which was my home state school). I was starting to feel pretty hopeless like I'm sure many of you have felt. I just wanted to say that I'm sure things are going to work out well for all of you. Just have to wait it out and pray for the best.

Now, down to business. Here are my stats:

MCAT=35: BS=13, PS=11, and Reading=11

GPA: 3.80 sGPA=3.82 nsGPA=3.78

Undergraduate School: Stanford University

Extracurriculars: Habitat Restoration, Debate Society, and two years of research at a developmental neurobiology lab. There are more, but those are the main ones.

Major: Biology (neurobiology focus)

Minor: Economics

Welcome to SDN, and most of all, congrats!!! I had a very similar rough cycle as you did, so I completely empathize. I began my cycle with a rejection, and it made me feel hopeless. I'm glad things have worked out well for both of us, and I hope things work out well for others who are in those shoes!

Anyone know if interview invites are really closed now? I haven't heard anything at all since I submitted my secondary... are post-secondary rejections sent by e-mail or mail?

really sorry to hear that. do you guys mind sharing the date you interviewed? im out of town for a week and im really curious whether they made a decision on my day which was the 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how receptive Stanford is to matching merit scholarships, such as from schools like Penn?

anyone know how receptive Stanford is to matching merit scholarships, such as from schools like Penn?

No merit scholarships. It's 100% based off of demonstrated need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

so I also interviewed on 02/06 and have not heard anything back. Should i assume that they did not accept me? The dean would most likely inform all the acceptees on the same day, right? This one probably hurts the most so far this cycle...
I also interviewed 02/06 and got my acceptance call 02/28.

I also interviewed 02/06 and got my acceptance call 02/28.

Interviewed also on 02/06, but got my phone call on the 15th, almost 2 weeks earlier. So did the other guy.

My guess is that invites are indeed done, but I can't confirm because I don't actually know when the last date is. So there may be hope, albeit a bit small!

And multiple people have posted that rejections come through snail mail. In fact, I think all decisions do.

They are "wrapping up" the interview season. Last week they sent out a bunch of rejections to people that had been complete for months and months. Its not over till its over! (Unless USPS lost your mail, and it IS over, but you don't know it yet, and I only mention this bc am pretty sure its happened to me!)

They are "wrapping up" the interview season. Last week they sent out a bunch of rejections to people that had been complete for months and months. Its not over till its over! (Unless USPS lost your mail, and it IS over, but you don't know it yet, and I only mention this bc am pretty sure its happened to me!)

That makes two of us :( Complete since mid August, heard nothing since.

Yeah I e-mailed Stanford a week or so ago asking if they'd attempted contact because we've had problems with our snail mail. Haven't heard anything yet from them at ALL.

Yeah I e-mailed Stanford a week or so ago asking if they'd attempted contact because we've had problems with our snail mail. Haven't heard anything yet from them at ALL.

Maybe a phone call is in order. Or at least by mid March!

Does it seem like the phone calls are made on particular days? So nervous and excited right now...the next 8-9 days are going to be tough to get through! Good luck everyone!

Does it seem like the phone calls are made on particular days? So nervous and excited right now...the next 8-9 days are going to be tough to get through! Good luck everyone!

historically this year on SDN, the phone calls were made either on Wed, Fri, or Sun, Friday being the most common. And it seems like people who interviewed on Feb 13th heard back, so the Feb 15th interviewees will be next on the line including myself. Keeping my fingers crossed :laugh:

When I had my interview, Dean Garcia said that they met every Thursday to review applications and made decisions, and that he generally made the calls after that meeting. So Thursday night or Friday, if he didn't get to all of them the night before.

That being said, last week it seems like some calls were made on Wednesday, and some people aren't called at all, so take that with a grain of salt! Still hoping for a call tomorrow though :p
Thanks for the input! Once again, good luck everyone!!

historically this year on SDN, the phone calls were made either on Wed, Fri, or Sun, Friday being the most common. And it seems like people who interviewed on Feb 13th heard back, so the Feb 15th interviewees will be next on the line including myself. Keeping my fingers crossed :laugh:
I interviewed 2/15 too! Good luck!

Hey guys, don't get your hopes up. I have a friend who interviewed on 2/15 who already received a call last week. Good luck tho!

That said, acceptances for the 2/6 interview came out on three separate Fridays and the letters follow about a week after that.

Anyone hear back last night? Hope it was good news if you did!

Heyo, when you do MMI, do you do situations in groups? Or will it be just me and the raters in a room? I'm confused by the description on the web, though I know they'll explain it in detail tomorrow. I cannot believe I am still interviewing for schools. I want this to be over NOW.

just got a "waitlist" letter...i'm very happy i wasn't rejected, but i've heard there isn't much movement on stanford's waitlist. i interviewed 2/15.

Yea! I'm unsure right now since they are such great schools! I can't make it to the revisits. I have to talk to some of my friends who have gone through both programs some more first. Ucsf's clinical clerkship is unbeatable but Stanford treats their kids so well and I view it as the hst of the west. It's a tough one. If you take away home hospitals, both match lists are identical. I'd live in sf for sure though matter what. I hope you have the option!! I'm really just waiting for financial aid packages and I think that will make the decision for me.

Waitlist letter came in the mail today. Interviewed 2/15. I'm actually semi-relieved, since choosing between Stanford and my dream school would have been really, really tough.

Heyo, when you do MMI, do you do situations in groups? Or will it be just me and the raters in a room? I'm confused by the description on the web, though I know they'll explain it in detail tomorrow. I cannot believe I am still interviewing for schools. I want this to be over NOW.

I provided a pretty in-depth description many pages back.... read a little more of this thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the incoming class?

For current students, can someone speak to the perceived lack of patient diversity and clinical exposure, especially considering the affluent location of Stanford's medical center? I know this question must get asked a lot, but I would really appreciate a thorough answer. Thank you!

For current students, can someone speak to the perceived lack of patient diversity and clinical exposure, especially considering the affluent location of Stanford's medical center? I know this question must get asked a lot, but I would really appreciate a thorough answer. Thank you!

I'd love to hear more about this, too. Is the clinical training at Stanford really as poor as some people have been saying on SDN? That has really been making me concerned.

I'd love to hear more about this, too. Is the clinical training at Stanford really as poor as some people have been saying on SDN? That has really been making me concerned.

according to the student tour guide at stanford when i interviewed, it isnt something to worry about too much! stanford is a tertiary center so it receives complex and advanced cases although i guess it does face some competition from ucsf

but stanford also has rotations at the santa barbara county hospital, the va, and a partnership with kaiser that should give students exposure to a wide variety of cases. im sure there are more than enough patients in the bay area for hospitals to take care of! one thin the tour guide said though was u really do need a car during clinical year as the county and va hospitals are not exactly near stanford...

I was worried About this as well initially since ucsf's program is much stronger, but at the end of the day. You really aren't going to learn that much in a one month rotation anywhere. Now if you are certain you want to do specialty x then it may be beneficial to go where that place has the strongest specialty. Stanford has santa Clara valley county and the va, both you would elect to see a greater diversity. I did see mostly fancy cars in the Stanford hospital parking wait circle, but also a few old beat up cars, if that's any indication of the patient population. Additionally I talked to my friend who graduated Stanford and is nowadays resident at ucsf, and he says that he had better training at Stanford than what he sees at ucsf bc the doctors have more time with the students? Anecdotal, but food for thought. At the end of the day, your residency is what matters for training, any top school provides a stepping stone to get you there. To be brutally honest, Med school is equivalent to pre-k all over again. Pick the school, city, and student body you vibe the most with.

I was worried About this as well initially since ucsf's program is much stronger, but at the end of the day. You really aren't going to learn that much in a one month rotation anywhere. Now if you are certain you want to do specialty x then it may be beneficial to go where that place has the strongest specialty. Stanford has santa Clara valley county and the va, both you would elect to see a greater diversity. I did see mostly fancy cars in the Stanford hospital parking wait circle, but also a few old beat up cars, if that's any indication of the patient population. Additionally I talked to my friend who graduated Stanford and is nowadays resident at ucsf, and he says that he had better training at Stanford than what he sees at ucsf bc the doctors have more time with the students? Anecdotal, but food for thought. At the end of the day, your residency is what matters for training, any top school provides a stepping stone to get you there. To be brutally honest, Med school is equivalent to pre-k all over again. Pick the school, city, and student body you vibe the most with.

I think this is a great point. The medical school curriculum is the same at most medical schools. And at the top schools, the match lists and board scores are about the same. I think it is important to go to a school you can be happy and comfortable at. Having said that, stanford is number 1 for me :luck:

according to the student tour guide at stanford when i interviewed, it isnt something to worry about too much! stanford is a tertiary center so it receives complex and advanced cases although i guess it does face some competition from ucsf

but stanford also has rotations at the santa barbara county hospital, the va, and a partnership with kaiser that should give students exposure to a wide variety of cases. im sure there are more than enough patients in the bay area for hospitals to take care of! one thin the tour guide said though was u really do need a car during clinical year as the county and va hospitals are not exactly near stanford...

Thanks! This is all good stuff to know!

complete 11/1 but haven't heard anything yet, is that normal? or should I just consider it rejection.

Thanks

-Maged

complete 11/1 but haven't heard anything yet, is that normal? or should I just consider it rejection.

Thanks

-Maged

Their second-look weekend starts April 4, so I assume they have already completed interviews this season and will be releasing everybody else :( Sorry to bring bad news, but I hope you've found a home next year in another wonderful institution! :)

Their second-look weekend starts April 4, so I assume they have already completed interviews this season and will be releasing everybody else :( Sorry to bring bad news, but I hope you've found a home next year in another wonderful institution! :)

Indeed, today was the last interview day.

Status
Not open for further replies.