2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their second-look weekend starts April 4, so I assume they have already completed interviews this season and will be releasing everybody else :( Sorry to bring bad news, but I hope you've found a home next year in another wonderful institution! :)

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I was very confused by the fact that they said August to Feb. interviews or rejection. 4 months to process an application is simply ridiculous.

I got accepted to SGU and would start this fall but of course Stanford is more awesome :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a facebook group or anything like that for accepted students? I think I'm pretty much decided on Stanford (it was my favorite school even before I got in) but I'm not sure, and I'd love to get in touch with other future classmates talk (and figure out housing if I do decide to go)

Speaking of which, is everyone planning on living on-campus? Do you know how hard it is to get the cheapest rooms even with a bad lottery number, or do the cheaper rooms go first so people with bad numbers are stuck with nice and incredibly expensive on-campus housing?

Also, quick question to current students - is it necessary to have a car first and second years? And what do you guys do for fun other than go in SF? Is there any night-life in Palo Alto or do you have to go to the city?

Sorry this is such a scatterbrained post. I just have a lot of questions and want to be sure I'm not making the wrong decision!

pre-interview rejection letter in the mail today (no surprise at this point)
letter was dated 2/20, envelope postmarked 3/8- i guess they took their time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook group or anything like that for accepted students? I think I'm pretty much decided on Stanford (it was my favorite school even before I got in) but I'm not sure, and I'd love to get in touch with other future classmates talk (and figure out housing if I do decide to go)

You should go to Stanford and you should start a Facebook group yourself.

Speaking of which, is everyone planning on living on-campus? Do you know how hard it is to get the cheapest rooms even with a bad lottery number, or do the cheaper rooms go first so people with bad numbers are stuck with nice and incredibly expensive on-campus housing?

A lot of times the very expensive housing (like Munger) is still really popular because it so nice, and the law students and business students like to live it up. Lyman is near the medical school, and it is actually quite fine, but not super fancy, so there is sometimes less competition for it, as it is not really close to the other graduate housing and thus not known for being super social. If you come to admit weekend you should be able to visit some different on campus housing situations.

Also, quick question to current students - is it necessary to have a car first and second years? And what do you guys do for fun other than go in SF? Is there any night-life in Palo Alto or do you have to go to the city?

Not at all. A sizable portion of current med students don't have cars. Stanford is considered the best campus for bicycling: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/stanford-university-tops-in-bike-friendliness--29682/
It is the only "platinum" rated school.

There is a little bit of nightlife, and they will probably take you out on admit weekend to a little bar/club place on University Ave. However, there is a huge graduate community at Stanford, because it is huge university, and the campus is vast, sort of like it's own town, so there are a lot of internal activities and parties. Lots of opportunities to make friends in other parts of the university to hang out with or date (law school, business school, science or humanities grad school, engineering school, etc.). It's also usually nice weather, so you can have get togethers outside, and there are bbq areas and stuff near all the grad housing, so on a nice evening, people will do some grilling and drink beer and play frisbee or throw a football around or something if that is the kind of thing they like to do.

There are a lot of sports at Stanford, so if you're into football or basketball, there are always huge parties and tailgates (the med school alumni association hosts at least one) associated with home football games.

There are also usually a few giant med school parties each year, including a formal. This year it was at the San Francisco Aquarium (open top shelf bar).

Different people like to do different things on the weekends, from rock climbing to going wine tasting up in Napa/Sonoma, or shucking oysters at Hog Island. The beach is also pretty close (Half Moon Bay), so some people surf occasionally, and in the winter Tahoe is only a few hours drive, so you can ski or snowboard. The driving range right near the medical school, and a very fancy golf course (the one Tiger Woods played on), as well as horse barns, etc. so you can take horseback riding lessons, judo lessons, tennis lessons, squash lessons (Mark Talbott, basically the Michael Jordan of squash is the squash coach), or whatever. Some people do music, and there is even some med school specific scholarships so med school students can take free one on one music lessons. Some people are in dance groups. One guy plays a lot of ice hockey (you have to that off campus). Another guy is really into Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Honestly though, most people in med school are pretty chill, and they do have to study and work a lot, so mostly people just get together with a few friends and make food or go out to dinner and just hang out, watch movies, or whatever. Go get frozen yogurt or boba tea. Go get tea or coffee at one of the cafes with outside seating. Basically just hanging out with your friends, and everyone usually finds a good group of friends very quickly. Lots of spots around where you can go to happy hour and just chill out.

There is no end of the stuff you can do. It's a little bit like being at an all inclusive resort sometimes. There are always activities and events, often with free food.

But you can also dedicate a lot of your time to research, doing clinical things, etc. Right away you can start volunteering at the free clinics, and if you are interested in any area of medicine, you can go hang out with the people doing it and jump right in. It's not like in pre-med where it sometimes hard to find shadowing opportunities. If you start showing up at things and you learn what is going on, you can start helping out. You can start working with patients basically right away if you want to and have time. They are also always running different special interest sessions and groups for this and that, from something on physician filmmakers to a luncheon with pediatric surgeons talking about work-life balance.

Basically, it is impossible to be bored. My email inbox is constantly full of invitations to events and activities. It's more a matter of picking and choosing rather than not having enough to do. Also, if you start to get stressed or upset, they have all these quality of life and student health people checking up on you. They even have someone whose job it is to help you study if you have difficulty and need new learning strategies: http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/frdActionServlet?choiceId=facProfile&fid=26746

Finally rejected. Really sad about this one because this school likely would have been my top choice, but I'm sure there are a lot of others out there who would say the same. At least their rejection was incredibly kind and even a bit uplifting:

As it is for many other medical schools in the United States, we unfortunately have had to decline many bright, promising medical school candidates. We hope this does not dissuade you from a rewarding career in medicine. I am confident that you will find a medical school where your needs can be met and you can work towards a successful career in medicine.

Incredibly nice of them. Takes away a bit of the hurt. Best of luck to everyone else still being considered!

No pre-interview rejection received here; just called them to ask if they have attempted contact (because of mail thefts in the area), and they said "no".

Weird.

Edit: I should add, I'm only a county or two over from Stanford, so a mail delay seems kinda weird.

So no one from 2/22 on here has heard back? I hope no one's heard back rather than acceptances weren't posted and the rest of us are waiting for small letters in the mail!

I don't think so, well not on this forum anyway. I think the most recent group to hear was 2/15.

I too am anxious to hear back. Good luck!

I am a little confused by the quarter system at Stanford and could use some clarification if anyone knows more. In particular, I'm worried by the cost of attendance for "four quarter" years:

http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/student_budget.html

According to the 2012-2013 budget, the cost of attendance would be $100,000 for just one year! Absolutely insane, especially compared to other schools.

Before I can make a decision, though, does anyone know if financial aid is especially generous to make up for this difference? How many years have three quarters and how many years have four quarters?

I am a little confused by the quarter system at Stanford and could use some clarification if anyone knows more. In particular, I'm worried by the cost of attendance for "four quarter" years:

http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/student_budget.html

According to the 2012-2013 budget, the cost of attendance would be $100,000 for just one year! Absolutely insane, especially compared to other schools.

Before I can make a decision, though, does anyone know if financial aid is especially generous to make up for this difference? How many years have three quarters and how many years have four quarters?

I know that you need at least 13 quarters to get the MD degree (12 I believe if doing a dual degree) so I'd just take 13 * (CoA) and that would give you the total cost of the whole thing.

What I dont quite understand is, on the FA website, it says that the max grant is like 11k (per quarter) which in comparison to most other schools, isnt a lot. Yale for example, the total cost for one year is 73k, but their unit loan is 25k so they cover about 2/3 of that total cost in grants (if you qualify for full FA that is).

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that you need at least 13 quarters to get the MD degree (12 I believe if doing a dual degree) so I'd just take 13 * (CoA) and that would give you the total cost of the whole thing.

What I dont quite understand is, on the FA website, it says that the max grant is like 11k (per quarter) which in comparison to most other schools, isnt a lot. Yale for example, the total cost for one year is 73k, but their unit loan is 25k so they cover about 2/3 of that total cost in grants (if you qualify for full FA that is).

Yeah, I came away with the same impression. At the interview, they even spent about fifteen minutes telling us how they would trick our parents into paying for our medical school. Well, guess what, my parents simply cannot and will not pay for anything no matter what I or Stanford does. Even if they did, I still bear some responsibility for spending my parents' money (which again, WILL NOT happen).

It's too bad because I think Stanford is a great fit for me and I believe I'd do really well there. I guess they just don't care about students who can't afford to pay their outrageous cost of attendance.

Yeah, I came away with the same impression. At the interview, they even spent about fifteen minutes telling us how they would trick our parents into paying for our medical school. Well, guess what, my parents simply cannot and will not pay for anything no matter what I or Stanford does. Even if they did, I still bear some responsibility for spending my parents' money (which again, WILL NOT happen).

It's too bad because I think Stanford is a great fit for me and I believe I'd do really well there. I guess they just don't care about students who can't afford to pay their outrageous cost of attendance.

I think the point they were making is that parents that can afford the tuition generally pay for it. Parents that are lower income (<$150K/Yr) get covered by grants and generous works study and such. But in the middle there are parents that are reluctant to pay but could. The matching grants are built to address this group. I got the impression Stanford is very progressive in creating financial aid tools to help their students.

Here is hoping the $1,000,000,000 they raised last year makes a dent in cost to train here.

I think the point they were making is that parents that can afford the tuition generally pay for it. Parents that are lower income (<$150K/Yr) get covered by grants and generous works study and such. But in the middle there are parents that are reluctant to pay but could. The matching grants are built to address this group. I got the impression Stanford is very progressive in creating financial aid tools to help their students.

Here is hoping the $1,000,000,000 they raised last year makes a dent in cost to train here.

Cheers to that! I guess my post was a little dramatic when I haven't even seen my financial aid package yet.

I came away with the opposite impression! I mean 11k tuition grant/quarter for 3 quarters means 33k / 49.9k covered with grant - It's no full ride but it is also nothing to scoff at! I know they made a big deal about parental assistance but I thought it was cool that they had the matching grant option. My parents provide no financial support but I appreciate that they put that in place for others.

I came away with the opposite impression! I mean 11k tuition grant/quarter for 3 quarters means 33k / 49.9k covered with grant - It's no full ride but it is also nothing to scoff at! I know they made a big deal about parental assistance but I thought it was cool that they had the matching grant option. My parents provide no financial support but I appreciate that they put that in place for others.

I guess Im thinking since the CoA is 24k, they are covering at max 45% in grants whereas for other schools, they are covering 60-70% in grants. And for a school as wealthy as Stanford, I would think it would be similar as well.

I guess Im thinking since the CoA is 24k, they are covering at max 45% in grants whereas for other schools, they are covering 60-70% in grants. And for a school as wealthy as Stanford, I would think it would be similar as well.

Yeah... wow.

13 (estimated number of quarters) * $25,230 (estimated cost of attendance per quarter) - 13 * $11,000 = $327990 - $143,000 = $184,990 worth of debt!

I wonder why their financial aid is so weak. How can I justify attending Stanford when I could matriculate to another top 10 school for much less?

Edit: and the Med Scholars program they touted as helping to fill in the gap DEQUALIFIES you from grant-based financial aid! The hell!?

Hmm I'm confused. Elsewhere I had heard that Stanford has some of the lowest indebtedness in the nation, and I've often heard that students choose it over other schools based on their aid package!

I'm really curious to see how all of the different schools stack up. I'm just going to sit right and see how the cookie crumbles!

Their low average indebtedness has little to do with their grant-based financial aid.

They set up the middle income grant program in order to coerce parents into paying more than they otherwise would. Ingenious in that it lowers med school debt because through the program parents will contribute an extra $5,500 per quarter ($71,500 over 13 quarters) when they otherwise would contribute nothing at all. Naturally, this coercion lowers the average indebtedness of the class.

So basically, Stanford's low average indebtedness is a trick of their system. They provide vastly inferior grant-based financial aid than their peer institutions, but "make up for it" in their statistics through the creation of programs which are designed to convince parents to pay more.

If your parents are planning to pay for your education, then great. But if you're like me, then this average indebtedness figure does not apply.

TLDR: Stanford's low average indebtedness is not due to better grant-based financial aid. On the contrary, it's due to the fact that they have instituted policies to coerce parents into paying them more money. Stanford medical students have low debt because their parents paid for their medical education.

Hmm I'm confused. Elsewhere I had heard that Stanford has some of the lowest indebtedness in the nation, and I've often heard that students choose it over other schools based on their aid package!

I'm really curious to see how all of the different schools stack up. I'm just going to sit right and see how the cookie crumbles!

Also, while interviewing, the students talked about getting TA positions for 70/hour. one guy said he made 17k in one quarter.

So students might also be hussling to make money (but people stressed working wasn't stressful).

Also, I went through Stanford undergrad and remember their financial aid being very generous.

I just got off the phone with the financial aid office. The online app should be available on Friday. If it is not we'll at least get an update to let us know when to expect it.

Also, while interviewing, the students talked about getting TA positions for 70/hour. one guy said he made 17k in one quarter.

So students might also be hussling to make money (but people stressed working wasn't stressful).

Also, I went through Stanford undergrad and remember their financial aid being very generous.

I heard you can only be a TA during you second year because you are a) too inexperienced to TA a class as a first year and b) too busy with an inflexible schedule during clinical third and fourth years.

A student also told me that it's difficult to find 50% effort TAships for more than one quarter. Realistically, you will likely only be able to find a TAship for one or two quarters max.

http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/files/2012-13 RA-TAship Rates (New Tuition).pdf

According to this document, ~17k a quarter is definitely possible. However, most of that money will go to tuition it looks like (I am having some trouble understanding the distinction between departmental and school tuition credits) whereas only 8k goes to your salary. Again--this is assuming you will be able to find a 50% effort TAship (which are rare). As the tuition credit can ONLY be used for the -current- quarter's tuition, if you receive need-based grant aid, this will likely only cut into your grant and reduce tuition down to 0 for that single quarter.** Unfortunately, the program sounds much better than it actually is.

**Assuming tuition of $15,780 per quarter, the full grant of $11,000 per quarter, and with a tuition allowance of $10,260 per quarter from the TAship (at the maximum unrealistic percent effort), then:

$15,780 - $11,000 = $4,780
$10,260 - $4780 = $5,480 of lost money that you will never see, receive, or be able to use towards your tuition at any point in the present or future

Last edited:
Their low average indebtedness has little to do with their grant-based financial aid.

They set up the middle income grant program in order to coerce parents into paying more than they otherwise would. Ingenious in that it lowers med school debt because through the program parents will contribute an extra $5,500 per quarter ($71,500 over 13 quarters) when they otherwise would contribute nothing at all. Naturally, this coercion lowers the average indebtedness of the class.

So basically, Stanford's low average indebtedness is a trick of their system. They provide vastly inferior grant-based financial aid than their peer institutions, but "make up for it" in their statistics through the creation of programs which are designed to convince parents to pay more.

If your parents are planning to pay for your education, then great. But if you're like me, then this average indebtedness figure does not apply.

TLDR: Stanford's low average indebtedness is not due to better grant-based financial aid. On the contrary, it's due to the fact that they have instituted policies to coerce parents into paying them more money. Stanford medical students have low debt because their parents paid for their medical education.

Another program which lowers debt is the Med Scholars program where they pay you about $12,000 per quarter to do research. Anyone can apply and be approved, but in doing so you forfeit your need-based grants. This lowers the average indebtedness because students from high-income families can now lower their tuition, but it also means that low and middle-income students simply do not receive as much aid as they would from other schools of medicine.

http://medscholars.stanford.edu/

Ugh, the more I read, the more depressed about the feasibility of Stanford I get. This is after about a month of being ecstatic about the prospect of attending.

Last edited:

To quote the website regarding the middle income assistance program: "Students can receive a maximum of $5,500 in SU grant funding during the quarters you are paying full tuition" (meaning that parents can have their contributions matched cent for cent up to $5,500 per year).

Yeah... the reason why Stanford graduates students with <$110k of debt (much lower than most private schools) is because it strong-arms parents into paying for the students medical education to the tune of $5500/year. :rolleyes:

If I had the opportunity to take out $11,000 in additional loans or have my parent (who is a public servant) pay $5500 to have their contribution MATCHED in order to avoid a little more debt down the line, I'd probably choose the later scenario. They aren't making parents pay this. You are going to have loans at any school. This is a novel way to proactively lower them a small amount with a somewhat nominal contribution. Stop whining, wait for your packages to arrive.

To quote the website regarding the middle income assistance program: "Students can receive a maximum of $5,500 in SU grant funding during the quarters you are paying full tuition" (meaning that parents can have their contributions matched cent for cent up to $5,500 per year).

Yeah... the reason why Stanford graduates students with <$110k of debt (much lower than most private schools) is because it strong-arms parents into paying for the students medical education to the tune of $5500/year. :rolleyes:

Per quarter. $16,500 per year during a 3 quarter year and $22,000 per year during a 4 quarter year. If we assume 13 quarters until graduation, then $71,500 total. To me that seems significant and likely to greatly lower average indebtedness.

ugh, that is whack about medscholars taking away from need-based grants!!!! I knew that the indebtness was false due to the amount of wealthier kids there, but my friend also told me that the number is also misleading since they have a high number of MD/PhDs (free due to the MSTP) and a lower number of total students which also falsely construes the total indebtness.

hopefully that 1B fundraising trickles down the totem pole to us.

edit: Wait where did you read that need-based grants and med scholars cannot be added together? I didn't see this on their website...

Last edited:
I heard you can only be a TA during you second year because you are a) too inexperienced to TA a class as a first year and b) too busy with an inflexible schedule during clinical third and fourth years.

A student also told me that it's difficult to find 50% effort TAships for more than one quarter. Realistically, you will likely only be able to find a TAship for one or two quarters max.

http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/files/2012-13 RA-TAship Rates (New Tuition).pdf

According to this document, ~17k a quarter is definitely possible. However, most of that money will go to tuition it looks like (I am having some trouble understanding the distinction between departmental and school tuition credits) whereas only 8k goes to your salary. Again--this is assuming you will be able to find a 50% effort TAship (which are rare). As the tuition credit can ONLY be used for the -current- quarter's tuition, if you receive need-based grant aid, this will likely only cut into your grant and reduce tuition down to 0 for that single quarter.** Unfortunately, the program sounds much better than it actually is.

**Assuming tuition of $15,780 per quarter, the full grant of $11,000 per quarter, and with a tuition allowance of $10,260 per quarter from the TAship (at the maximum unrealistic percent effort), then:

$15,780 - $11,000 = $4,780
$10,260 - $4780 = $5,480 of lost money that you will never see, receive, or be able to use towards your tuition at any point in the present or future

Being very very generous, let's say someone with maximum need-based grants manages to find a 50% effort TAship for two quarters (very unlikely but not impossible). Even then, they only save the following extra amount:

$4,780 * 2 = $9,560
$8,327 * 2 = $16,654
___________$26,214

So, if you work an extra 20 hours per week while taking a full load of courses and preparing for the Step 1, your indebtedness will decrease to $185,000 - $26,250 = $158,750 and only if your EFC is the lowest it can possibly be. Not too much of an improvement.

Last edited:
Being very very generous, let's say someone with maximum need-based grants manages to find a 50% effort TAship for two quarters (very unlikely but not impossible). Even then, they only save the following extra amount:

$4,780 * 2 = $9,560
$8,327 * 2 = $16,654
___________$26,214

So, if you work an extra 20 hours per week while taking a full load of courses and preparing for the Step 1, your indebtedness will decrease to $185,000 - $26,250 = $158,750. Not too much of an improvement.

Compare this to Harvard, where the maximum in loans with $0 in expected family contribution is $28,500.

http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/...out-financial-aid-hms/financial-aid-packaging

Meaning, in the same scenario, without working 20 hours a week instead of studying or doing research, the same person would graduate with $28,500 * 4 = $114,000 worth of debt.

Please, someone demonstrate to me that I'm wrong about Stanford's financial aid.

Also, I'm assuming that one cannot be a TA or do research during 3rd and 4th year since clinical years are very busy. So even if one works during the first two years and get some tuition reduction, I'm assuming you won't get that benefit for the last 2 years?

Also, I'm assuming that one cannot be a TA or do research during 3rd and 4th year since clinical years are very busy. So even if one works during the first two years and get some tuition reduction, I'm assuming you won't get that benefit for the last 2 years?

Worse--you cannot be a TA first year except in very special circumstances (where you would find a TAship for an undergraduate class whose subject you have a PhD in or something equivalent; and then you would be competing with PhD candidates). The TAships offered through the medical school are for 1st year classes. Understandably, you cannot TA for a class which you have not taken and for which you are currently enrolled.

In case you missed it, the med scholars program replaces all grant-based financial aid. For middle-high income students, this may be a plus; for everyone else, a big negative.

If I had the opportunity to take out $11,000 in additional loans or have my parent (who is a public servant) pay $5500 to have their contribution MATCHED in order to avoid a little more debt down the line, I'd probably choose the later scenario. They aren't making parents pay this. You are going to have loans at any school. This is a novel way to proactively lower them a small amount with a somewhat nominal contribution. Stop whining, wait for your packages to arrive.

With all due respect, I would be inclined to wait for my financial package except I am basing these numbers on the maximum amount of grant-based aid per quarter. Like most people, I likely will not even receive this maximum amount. As for "whining," figuring out finances when comparing schools is hardly a useless endeavor. The amount of debt I graduate with is very important to me because I want to enter a low-paying specialty if not work abroad in the interest of global health (ie, extremely low paying). I assume others would be interested to know this information, especially because of the deceptively low average indebtedness Stanford publishes.

fyi, I just called the financial office, and med scholars does stack up on need based grants during the semester (ie 50% medscholars). It does not discredit the need based grant. It's only when you are working fulltime and paying for the semester do they take away the need based grant. In the summer if you do med scholars and do NOT pay for the quarter, they give you $7K for living stipend...

fyi, I just called the financial office, and med scholars does stack up on need based grants during the semester (ie 50% medscholars). It does not discredit the need based grant. It's only when you are working fulltime and paying for the semester do they take away the need based grant. In the summer if you do med scholars and do NOT pay for the quarter, they give you $7K for living stipend...

That's great news! Thanks for calling!

From the financial aid website:

"Basic Stanford (SU) Grant

Returning Students (matriculated autumn 2009-2010 or earlier):

The maximum Stanford Grant for 2012-2013 is $11,000 per quarter for students paying full tuition (under old tuition structure), and $2,496 per quarter for students paying tuition at the TMR (reduced tuition) rate.

New Students (matriculating autumn 2010-2011 or later):

The maximum Stanford Grant for 2012-2013 is $11,000 per quarter for students paying full tuition under the new tuition structure.

Students paying the research rate (i.e. completing a Medical Scholars Project) are ineligible for SU Grant funding."

http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/meeting_need_institutional.html

They should edit the website to clarify that sentence.

Do you know how many semesters people can usually do med scholars for? I imagine 20 hours/week would be hard to keep up for most of medical school, and a more realistic percentage would be 25% or 10 hours/week (especially we'd plan to TA). If 13 quarters, then 25%*12,000*13 = $39,000, which would definitely help and reduce indebtedness (assuming 2 quarters of 50% TAships and maximum grant-based aid) to $158,750 - $39.000 = $119,750. It all depends on how well research/TAships can be balanced with preclinical and clinical curricula; but MUCH better than before, especially because I would want to do research regardless.

Last edited:
So, what has been the quickest post interview rejection? Called today because I will be away from my address, was told I should receive information within 7 days, interviewed March 1st, should I just write it off as a rejection :)

Yeah... wow.

13 (estimated number of quarters) * $25,230 (estimated cost of attendance per quarter) - 13 * $11,000 = $327990 - $143,000 = $184,990 worth of debt!

I wonder why their financial aid is so weak. How can I justify attending Stanford when I could matriculate to another top 10 school for much less?

Edit: and the Med Scholars program they touted as helping to fill in the gap DEQUALIFIES you from grant-based financial aid! The hell!?

i was soooooooo confused during the fin aid presentation at my stanford interview...i was like doesn't stanford have tons of money?? and their ridiculously low debt averages back then (now it's around 100k)....

i really do hope stanfords fin aid becomes more generous. i think the 25k unit loan and everything else covered by grants sounds reasonable....but damn COA of 100k during third year, imagine all the ben and jerrys u could buy!!!

With all due respect, I would be inclined to wait for my financial package except I am basing these numbers on the maximum amount of grant-based aid per quarter. Like most people, I likely will not even receive this maximum amount. As for "whining," figuring out finances when comparing schools is hardly a useless endeavor. The amount of debt I graduate with is very important to me because I want to enter a low-paying specialty if not work abroad in the interest of global health (ie, extremely low paying). I assume others would be interested to know this information, especially because of the deceptively low average indebtedness Stanford publishes.

No one is asking you to make a decision before finaid packages come out. You have ~2 months to decide. All your numbers are speculation (a recent poster just cleared up some misconception in fact by calling the finaid office-- something proactive that you can do as well).

Chill out, enjoy your acceptance, and be patient. Everything will work out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do you know how many semesters people can usually do med scholars for? I imagine 20 hours/week would be hard to keep up for most of medical school, and a more realistic percentage would be 25% or 10 hours/week (especially we'd plan to TA). If 13 quarters, then 25%*12,000*13 = $39,000, which would definitely help and reduce indebtedness (assuming 2 quarters of 50% TAships and maximum grant-based aid) to $158,750 - $39.000 = $119,750. It all depends on how well research/TAships can be balanced with preclinical and clinical curricula; but MUCH better than before, especially because I would want to do research regardless.

Online it said maximum FQE (fulltime) of 5 quarters, meaning around $50,000 potentially. I doubt anyone hits that unless they take a 5th year. Additionally, I doubt you can research for 13 quarters (without a 5th year) since you aren't allowed to TA and research during your clinicals, which is at minimum 5-6 quarters.

What I learned from talking to the financial aid dude today:
For 3 quarters:
Maximum need based grant $33K
Stanford loan 0% interest (up to 10 years after graduation?) $6K (for 4 quarters $8K)
Perkins loans 0% during, 5% after: $8K (max for a year)
The rest is unsubsidized loans.

They clarify things pretty well, so if you have any questions, call them.

Last edited:
Why would you have cause to do that? I think it has just as good of a chance of being a favorable decision - maybe they're just planning on reviewing all of the files by this week. Also, there have been plenty of two week turnaround acceptances reported here.

Good luck!
Thanks, I was just hoping to make a statistical prediction based on wether they have been quicker with post interview rejections or acceptances... so I could have some peace of mind

Well I think that acceptances are usually quicker in the sense that many people get phone calls shortly after the committee meeting, and waitlists/rejections are sent via mail only. That being said there have been people accepted without a phone calls. So who knoooowssss I'm waiting too haha it's a crapshoot
hey thanks for the reply. good luck to you too! :)

Online it said maximum FQE (fulltime) of 5 quarters, meaning around $50,000 potentially. I doubt anyone hits that unless they take a 5th year. Additionally, I doubt you can research for 13 quarters (without a 5th year) since you aren't allowed to TA and research during your clinicals, which is at minimum 5-6 quarters.

What I learned from talking to the financial aid dude today:
For 3 quarters:
Maximum need based grant $33K
Stanford loan 0% interest (up to 10 years after graduation?) $6K (for 4 quarters $8K)
Perkins loans 0% during, 5% after: $8K (max for a year)
The rest is unsubsidized loans.

They clarify things pretty well, so if you have any questions, call them.

That still seems like an awful lot of loans in comparison to the other schools...

Wait listed via snail mail. Interviewed 2/22.

And sorry to hear that, waitlists are such a bummer :( I feel more comin'!

Waitlist are a bummer but it's all good. Good thing they told us that no one has gotten off in the past two years.

Good luck to you!

Wait listed via snail mail. Interviewed 2/22.
things will turn out well eventually. Do you mind letting us know the day the snail mail was dated?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.