2012-2013 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great!!! congra!!! did u apply to other schools?? and how long did it take after ur application was accepted by WV SOM?

Members don't see this ad.

great!!! congra!!! did u apply to other schools?? and how long did it take after ur application was accepted by WV SOM?

i've also applied to marshall and have an interview there in november.

i sent in my application several weeks ago but had a pending mcat score which came out yesterday. wvu sent an email last week indicating they had received my app but were holding it until my latest score was released. i figured i would hear something in the next couple weeks, but heard, surprisingly, today.

i've also applied to marshall and have an interview there in november.

i sent in my application several weeks ago but had a pending mcat score which came out yesterday. wvu sent an email last week indicating they had received my app but were holding it until my latest score was released. i figured i would hear something in the next couple weeks, but heard, surprisingly, today.

Congrats!

Are you in state?

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is Dec 3rd...does anyone know how receptive WVU is to rescheduling interview dates for potentially earlier, given-up dates?

My interview is Dec 3rd...does anyone know how receptive WVU is to rescheduling interview dates for potentially earlier, given-up dates?

Well, you don't have anyting to lose by calling and asking. I personally saw groups of interviewees anywhere from 4 to 9 people. So, my guess would be - they don't have a set number of applicants for each day and should be pretty flexible accomodating an extra one.

I'm from Virginia, and i got a secondary...does this mean i'll be getting an interview?

what if i have 2 biology letters of recommendation, and i'm a biology student?

I had the problem too before I saw the requirement. I asked a current student and they said the admissions committee is pretty strict on LORs so I had to get another letter. I sent then both biology letters though, just in addition to another.

You could always call and check, they may know better than a student.

it doesnt read like that would be a problem:

"You will need to obtain at least three (3) recommendation letters as part of your application.
-Two of these letters should come from an instructor in a science course, preferably in areas such as Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, etc.
-If you are a non-science major, a letter from a primary instructor in your major would also be helpful.
-One of your three letters must be a communication skills evaluation recommendation. This should be from someone who knows you well. This could be a professor, but we encourage you to consider someone you have worked with in a job (supervisor/employer), helped supervise or coordinate a volunteer or community service activity, a physician which has permitted your participation in a shadowing experience, or a research mentor."

Members don't see this ad :)

"You will need to obtain at least three (3) recommendation letters as part of your application.
-Two of these letters should come from an instructor in a science course, preferably in areas such as Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, etc.
-If you are a non-science major, a letter from a primary instructor in your major would also be helpful.
-One of your three letters must be a communication skills evaluation recommendation. This should be from someone who knows you well. This could be a professor, but we encourage you to consider someone you have worked with in a job (supervisor/employer), helped supervise or coordinate a volunteer or community service activity, a physician which has permitted your participation in a shadowing experience, or a research mentor."

hey thanks. Can i get the source as well?

Are you sure? I'm from VA and I got a secondary but have been waiting for an II for about 3-4 weeks nows...

30R c3.54 s3.63

it says if you don't hear from them within a month you should call and ask for some person. check on your secondary

Ok, thanks. I'll call today.

it says if you don't hear from them within a month you should call and ask for some person. check on your secondary

The secondary states that a you can replace the two science letters with a pre-med advisor letter. Do we still have to turn in the communication skills evaluation recommendation? I submitted the premed letter and a LOR from a professor which was used in the premed committee letter- will that count?

nvm

"If your school offers a committee letter or letter writing service we will accept those in place of individual letters. We highly encourage use of the AMCAS letter service to submit recommendation letters, including the Communication Skills letter."

From their secondary application

Is anyone else having trouble getting ahold of admissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone gotten any post-interview good news in the mail this week?

I haven't received any news yet.

Woah, they must have changed it! It used to be that science majors needed one letter from a science professor in their major and one from a science professor not in their major. This is still on the website in the FAQs:

You will need to obtain three (3) recommendation letters for your application: a) primary instructor in your academic degree major, b) a science instructor other than one in your major, and c) a communication/interpersonal skills recommendation from someone who knows you well and can comment on your communication skills with customers, co-workers, fellow students, etc.

I would still suggest calling just to make sure. You wouldn't want to not get accepted because of a stupid LOR discrepancy.

I just called and Beth Ann checked to see if my secondary was complete. Apparently it was and is still being processed and that I was granted an II and will be receiving the letter regarding the II in the mail soon! She just has to get the papers from the committee I think. Wow.

Has anyone gotten any post-interview good news in the mail this week?

I completely forgot you guys will hearing back soon! Good luck everybody!!

I believe in last year's thread general admissions people started hearing around October 19th, which was the first Wednesday after the 15th. So maybe today is the day!

I haven't received any news yet.

Me either and I interviewed early in early september. I'm so impatient haha, I need to try to relax this week.

I just called and Beth Ann checked to see if my secondary was complete. Apparently it was and is still being processed and that I was granted an II and will be receiving the letter regarding the II in the mail soon! She just has to get the papers from the committee I think. Wow.

Congrats!

I called. She wouldn't tell me if I was accepted, but she said letters were sent out Monday.

I called. She wouldn't tell me if I was accepted, but she said letters were sent out Monday.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was told at my interview, but you never know what schools are going to do. I hope we both get some good news :xf:

Anybody interviewing on November 14th? I just changed my date.

I haven't been able to get to my mailbox all day, and I'm anxious. Anyone get a letter?

I got a letter today saying my interview went favorably and that I'm now on the waitlist. From what I know, almost everyone (90%) who is out of state (I'm from VA) gets waitlisted.

I got a letter today saying my interview went favorably and that I'm now on the waitlist. From what I know, almost everyone (90%) who is out of state (I'm from VA) gets waitlisted.
Yeah, I've heard that too. I wonder what the logic behind that is, because it sounds like a decent percentage of their class ends up coming from OOS

Sorry to hear that you were put on hold. I was at another school just this morning, but I was accepted to WVU.

I'm in-state.

Same here. OOS also. Any idea when WL movement usually starts?

They may accept a few OOS people from time to time through the fall and winter, but sigificant WL movement doesn't really start until spring/early summer. Sorry guys. I was on WVU WL for 8 months.

Sorry to hear that you were put on hold. I was at another school just this morning, but I was accepted to WVU.

I'm in-state.

No need to apologize :) I was told that virtually everyone who is out of state gets waitlisted because they have a policy (some say law) that they first accept in state students and then later on begin to accept out of state students.

I've already been accepted to my top choice though so I'm not stressing. Anyhow, congrats on the acceptance!

I was put on hold by one of my top choices besides WVU, so I know how it feels. Hopefully, you guys will hear back soon.

+1 for the waitlist and also OOS. Bummer. Students at the interview told me that most OOS students get waitlist at first so I shouldn't be surprised. Can any current comment on what we should do to get off the waitlist? Does WVU accept/read letters of interest or is it just a waiting game at this point?

+1 for the waitlist and also OOS. Bummer. Students at the interview told me that most OOS students get waitlist at first so I shouldn't be surprised. Can any current comment on what we should do to get off the waitlist? Does WVU accept/read letters of interest or is it just a waiting game at this point?
yes I would like to know this also!

Just withdrew my application. My interview date is 10/29 hopefully someone deserving gets a phone call! Good luck all!

We can definitely spend more time talking about it, but it was discussed pretty extensively last year. Look at that thread.

For anyone who has interviewed lately, how did everything go?

It's a very relaxing interview day. They'll simply ask you to elaborate on some of your activities and things written in your application, what you like to do, why you chose WVU, etc. No difficult questions or anything.

i've got a few hoops to jump through as i have just recently moved to WV before they will process my app as in state...

I'm a current MS1 from OOS. I got accepted off of the WL around May 15 or 16. They will accept letters of interest (I even wrote letters of intent) - Beth Ann said you could send up to 1 per mth to show your continued interested.

I'd be careful with this, however, because they really look at your state-status. IF you've already been accepted IN-STATE, you probably will not get off the WL here. (which I guess makes sense -- as they figure why would someone want to go to an OOS public school when they can go to an IS school)? For me, there were personal reasons why I was WVU or bust - after speaking with Beth Ann, despite my many letters of intent, it seemed I was in the "already accepted somewhere else pile" and so I don't think any of the letters got read. Once I explained my intention to attend, I was accepted almost immediately.

So my advice -- if you're banking on WV because its the only place you got an interview and/or its the only place in the running, keep sending updates. If you're already accepted somewhere else, but you REALLY want to go to WV - make sure you a) send a letter saying so and then b) call Beth Ann and make sure the admissions committee knows. If I hadn't called, I probably would have slipped through the cracks.

Despite the numbers you may see from past years -- WV is getting REALLY competitive for OOS students. Previous year's threads may show people getting off the WL late into the summer, but no one got in off the WL after June 1 for my class, I believe (this is what we were told at orientation). I guess its working as our classes exam averages have all been higher than previous years.

IF anyone has any questions, feel free to send me a message.

I know this has been answered before but can someone clear this up for me - if you are given a secondary will you automatically be invited to interview? I'm OOS and I submitted my secondary a couple weeks ago. In the email I was sent after submitting the online portion of the secondary it said give her 3-4 weeks and my "confirmation" will come in the form of an interview letter. So... does that mean a decision on an interview will come or an interview invite?

I know this has been answered before but can someone clear this up for me - if you are given a secondary will you automatically be invited to interview? I'm OOS and I submitted my secondary a couple weeks ago. In the email I was sent after submitting the online portion of the secondary it said give her 3-4 weeks and my "confirmation" will come in the form of an interview letter. So... does that mean a decision on an interview will come or an interview invite?

heres the exact verbiage from the email i received:

"Once your secondary application materials are complete, they will be reviewed to determine if your application will progress to the interview stage. If your secondary application is successful, you will be scheduled for an interview. Please allow 3-4 weeks after receipt of your mailed secondary application materials before contacting me regarding your status. We look forward to hearing from you."

reads to me as though an interview is NOT automatic.

has anyone scheduled an interview in the past couple days? My II is in the mail apparently and I was curious to see when the earliest available slots are.

Did you guys fill out your banner application by hand or type it?

Status
Not open for further replies.