2012-2013 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected pre-secondary, OOS, 34 MCAT, 3.2 GPA.

Just sharing =) Not that upset, but thought I was competitive with my shiny new MCAT, lol

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected pre-secondary, OOS, 34 MCAT, 3.2 GPA.

Just sharing =) Not that upset, but thought I was competitive with my shiny new MCAT, lol

where from OOS? any WV ties?

where from OOS? any WV ties?
No REAL ties, but I do have a cousin who lives there, and went to graduate school in DC...

I'm applying broadly, 23 schools and counting, but only schools where my stats make it seems reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Also stats were 27
cgpa 3.5 and Florida resident incase someone was going to ask

heres the exact verbiage from the email i received:

"Once your secondary application materials are complete, they will be reviewed to determine if your application will progress to the interview stage. If your secondary application is successful, you will be scheduled for an interview. Please allow 3-4 weeks after receipt of your mailed secondary application materials before contacting me regarding your status. We look forward to hearing from you."

reads to me as though an interview is NOT automatic.

Your email verbage was different from mine:
"Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your only confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter. "

OOPS: looks like they have 2 emails. Your quote was the one sent out 1st and mine was the email they send out 2nd (to confirm online app).
2nd is not as clear as 1st.

Last edited:
No ties whatsoever
Did you get a rejection and then respond for reconsideration? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if I should do the same... lol

Major congrats, of course!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jay4188- Did you get waitlisted at all? Or was it a directed acceptance? Also how did you hear...mail, phone?

It was a direct acceptance and it was through the mail

You can message me directly and I can go into details on my interview experience

"Your online secondary application information has been received. Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your only confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter. "

So if I don't get an Interview invite, then there will be no conformation? Or, does it mean they will confirm they have received all my stuff, by also sending me an interview invite?

Just got my II in the mail today. I will be interviewing on Dec. 17th. 2 days after another interview that i have on the 14th. The first one is in PA and this one is in WV and I'm all the way in VA...oh let me also add that it is finals week. It's like the admissions people for these schools want to kill me.

Just got my II in the mail today. I will be interviewing on Dec. 17th. 2 days after another interview that i have on the 14th. The first one is in PA and this one is in WV and I'm all the way in VA...oh let me also add that it is finals week. It's like the admissions people for these schools want to kill me.

I flew from California to WVU in November and to VCU in February. I was ecstatic about another opportunity to interview, and I didn't even think to whine. If it is so hard to take finals and interview at the same time, reschedule interviews, take finals earlier/later or apply next year. Med schools are not trying to kill you; they are giving you a chance, which you asked for.

i interview in a week's time; if anyone has any interview experiences / tips to share, feel free to post em up here or send me a message.

thanks in advance, i'm extremely excited about the opportunity!

Sorry to be repetitive. I thought the first response was from someone else. lol My bad
its no problem at all

That awkward moment when you realize that you haven't completed all the "required coursework" and won't be able to prior to January 1st of 2013.

http://medicine.hsc.wvu.edu/Students/About-SoM/Admission-Process/Admission-Requirements

I'm interviewing there on Monday for no reason. ****.

oh, thats no good at all. what are you missing?

All the "social and/or behavioral " stuff - i didn't realize / read that theology / philosophy / languages don't count. So there's literally no way I can take them before January. Hahaha!

All the "social and/or behavioral " stuff - i didn't realize / read that theology / philosophy / languages don't count. So there's literally no way I can take them before January. Hahaha!

I would call them and see. I don't think they would offer you and interview if you didn't have the prereqs especially without telling you. Not many of my classes fit under those listed and they counted them so maybe that's what happen with you?

My interview is Monday, I'm leaving tomorrow. I guess I'll bring it up on the day of interview...in either case, time to review all the things I like about WVU.

PS; congratulations. I read your MDapps.

My interview is Monday, I'm leaving tomorrow. I guess I'll bring it up on the day of interview...in either case, time to review all the things I like about WVU.

PS; congratulations. I read your MDapps.

You spend a lot of time with one of the admissions coordinators so I'm sure she can answer it for you.

Thanks! Good luck on Monday!

My flight's cancelled, oh boy! MD/PhD

Last edited:
Any advice/info on interview day??? Thanks in advance.

Just relax and have fun! The day isn't scary until around 1 when the interviews start so you can relax and just take in everything they tell you. The interview really isn't stressful at all. Most of the questions will probably be from your app about various activities and classes. Just know your app and you'll be golden. Good luck!

For anyone who isn't familiar with the WVU health science building I would suggest going a bit early. That building is a maze and the admission office is not easy to find. There should plenty of people around to help you though.

Any advice/info on interview day??? Thanks in advance.

If you're like me, bring a snack and feel free to grab something to eat while waiting to interview. I eat about 6 meals a day (so every 2.5 - 3.5 hours) so I usually eat a smaller meal. I didn't get to interview till the very end (like 3:30). I was STARVING by the time I interviewed. Otherwise, relax and have fun. They are very nice.

Wow...rejected pre-secondary.

OOS 3.79 GPA from UCLA with 32M MCAT

I also have STRONG ties to West Virginia and WVU as I spent 2 months there last summer and did research/shadowing, not to mention my uncle is a physician there. Guess maybe I'm too late in the game or something?

Has anyone prtoested yet? And if so, how? It says you can protest in writing, does that mean I should just reply to the rejection e-mail pleading my case or do I have to snail mail it in?

Thanks.

I also have STRONG ties to West Virginia and WVU as I spent 2 months there last summer and did research/shadowing, not to mention my uncle is a physician there. Guess maybe I'm too late in the game or something?

Has anyone prtoested yet? And if so, how? It says you can protest in writing, does that mean I should just reply to the rejection e-mail pleading my case or do I have to snail mail it in?

Thanks.
i'd send a letter via email to beth ann mccormick

Thanks.

Wow, great stats! It is a little late and I don't know if 2 months in West Virginia would be considered super strong ties. The physician uncle is pretty solid though. Were these two ties mentioned anywhere in your primary? I'm guessing they weren't or at least weren't elaborated on so I think you have a good chance at getting it reversed if you explain yourself and show a lot of interest in training and practicing in WV.

Wow, great stats! It is a little late and I don't know if 2 months in West Virginia would be considered super strong ties. The physician uncle is pretty solid though. Were these two ties mentioned anywhere in your primary? I'm guessing they weren't or at least weren't elaborated on so I think you have a good chance at getting it reversed if you explain yourself and show a lot of interest in training and practicing in WV.

Well I've also been there several times before since I have lots of family living in Morgantown (five cousins and two sets of aunts/uncles). And yes they were included and elaborated on in my primary. The crazy thing is I even mentioned that trip to WVU in my personal statement as the event that most helped to solidify my decision to become a doctor.

So I'm just a little confused and disappointed at this point. :( Thanks for the reply, definitely hope the protest does something.

Well I've also been there several times before since I have lots of family living in Morgantown (five cousins and two sets of aunts/uncles). And yes they were included and elaborated on in my primary. The crazy thing is I even mentioned that trip to WVU in my personal statement as the event that most helped to solidify my decision to become a doctor.

So I'm just a little confused and disappointed at this point. :( Thanks for the reply, definitely hope the protest does something.

That definitely sounds like good ties to me. Someone earlier in this thread protested and was successful maybe PM them and ask what they did? Good luck!

Walked out of interview to find out flight had been cancelled. Hopped in the rental car and drove 1000 miles to get to work this morning. Great little adventure. Great School.

When your in a crunch... Nothing works like redline.

Walked out of interview to find out flight had been cancelled. Hopped in the rental car and drove 1000 miles to get to work this morning. Great little adventure. Great School.

When your in a crunch... Nothing works like redline.

tell us more about your interview, some of us have an interview later this week! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.