2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else struggling to write more than 3-4 sentences for the second prompt? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, the secondary is tiny this year! It literally only asks for your name, AMCAS ID, email address, dropdown box for "how did you hear about Chicago Medical School" and those two essay prompts. Not even an "additional comments" section.

great! do you think we have to reach the 1 pg length for our secondary answers? I dont think I have that much "juice" left in my tank

great! do you think we have to reach the 1 pg length for our secondary answers? I dont think I have that much "juice" left in my tank
Mine are hitting about 0.75 of a page each right now, which I think I'm going to call good for the "approximately" one page suggestion that the secondary gives. I'm hoping that describing two or three solid ideas/experiences will be more impressive than a 1.5 page essay that doesn't say much! Or maybe they'll be impressed by concise prose? :)

Staring at the word document with only the prompts dreading writing a whole page. No juice here either.

Staring at the word document with only the prompts dreading writing a whole page. No juice here either.

I feel your pain...ive been good about finishing secondaries at a steady rate, but for some reason I have hit a wall.

I feel your pain...ive been good about finishing secondaries at a steady rate, but for some reason I have hit a wall.

Same! I have done 20 and was killing it the first two weeks they were coming in. Now I am just stuck with even the most basic questions. I mostly only have UCs left too, which seem to have nasty secondaries. Eeeep.

Secondary finally submitted! Took me 7 hours :eek: Wrote 1 page per question.

Good luck guys...and happy birthday Rosalind E. Franklin :rolleyes:

Secondary finally submitted! Took me 7 hours :eek: Wrote 1 page per question.

Good luck guys...and happy birthday Rosalind E. Franklin :rolleyes:

Got the secondary today. Everyone go look at google before it's gone. Happy birthday.

Are the secondaries 1 page single or double spaced?

Members don't see this ad :)
leave it to my very last secondary to be the biggest bitch of them all

Still waiting on this one. My last of 32!

This one and Drexel are still outstanding for me. From past threads it seems like I will be waiting even longer for Drexel potentially.

I dont understand the following question:

Describe your unique characteristics, a significant difficulty you have overcome or a major accomplishment you have achieved that will help to shape you into a physician who will pursue the CMS Admissions Vision. *

^ What is this question asking us? Are we supposed to pick 1 of the 3 questions? Or answer the unique part, and pick one of the next two? Any help is appreciated

This one doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure you've addressed the first prompt in other essays. However, the second one is harder because it's not so open ended or personal, making it much harder to stand out. I feel like few applicants have experience with interprofessional healthcare teams unless they worked in community clinics. As such, most essays for the second prompt are going to be pretty similar and based on knowledge gleaned from the first page of the Google search. Am I interpreting this wrong? What do you guys think? In addition to shortening the secondary, it seems like little beyond numbers is going to differentiate applicants here.

I think those three things are usually connected so it wouldn't be unreasonable to write something containing all three (especially in 2 pages single spaced :/) but they give you the freedom to choose, which is nice. To answer your question though, it seems like they missed a comma and are considering all three equal. Don't quote me on that though.

So has it been decided whether RF screens or not? If not, I better start on these seemingly laborious essays.

I think those three things are usually connected so it wouldn't be unreasonable to write something containing all three (especially in 2 pages single spaced :/) but they give you the freedom to choose, which is nice. To answer your question though, it seems like they missed a comma and are considering all three equal. Don't quote me on that though.

So you're saying they want us to only write about 1 of the 3? That makes sense to me, but I want to confirm with everyone here too. What did you all do?

Describe your unique characteristics, a significant difficulty you have overcome or a major accomplishment you have achieved that will help to shape you into a physician who will pursue the CMS Admissions Vision. *

^ What is this question asking us? Are we supposed to pick 1 of the 3 questions? Or answer the unique part, and pick one of the next two? Any help is appreciated
I don't know if it is right, but I sort of intertwined unique characteristics and a significant difficulty I have overcome. I feel like this prompt is an expanded diversity essay.

I just interpreted as a diversity essay. Like, these are X things I've done and Y things that have challenged me, and this will make me a good fit for CMS and medical practice because of Z.

do you think writing 1/2 page for the second question looks bad?

I dont know how to answer this question in a page without drifting off to another topic that doesnt answer the question lol

is it just me or do you see 2 different "visions" at CMS

1 page single

1 page single for each is brutal! You guys think it's okay to repeat information from the personal statement? I kind of wrote my most significant difficulty in my PS.

1 page single for each is brutal! You guys think it's okay to repeat information from the personal statement? I kind of wrote my most significant difficulty in my PS.

Think about it this way: if you don't write anything new, you're putting time into writing nothing at all. It is definitely difficult not to overlap with your PS but I'm sure you can think of something. Something different, no matter how insignificant you think it might be, is going to contribute more to your application than repeating yourself.

For the 1st essay, I did something similar to one of the previous posters and kind of did a sequential story intertwining all three. It definitely touched on my PS a bit but for the most part, it was new material.

This 2nd one though... still not sure about how to make it stand out or if my goal should just be not to mess it up.

Just submitted.

The second prompt was quite tough.

Oh my gosh this secondary is such a pain in the butt. Finally submitted, I can't say I'm really happy with my "role within interprofessional health care team" answer. I feel like I definitely didn't need an entire page to elaborate.

Added this school on Friday, so likely won't have the secondary til Monday at the earliest. Sucks cause I was able to punch out the essays in a day ... :( Although Monday isn't late at all ... xD

Damnit, I prewrte last years secondary essay. Ugh I hate writing :/

do you think writing 1/2 page for the second question looks bad?

I dont know how to answer this question in a page without drifting off to another topic that doesnt answer the question lol

I can come up w/ 3/4 a page tops. I think I'm going to submit this length rather than adding unnecessary info. Not too thrilled about this essay.

Submitted last night. Put me in the 1/2 page club for essay #2. I tried to write more, but it just seemed forced and I didn't like it. Personally, I believe if I am able to make my point in half a page, then half a page is all it needs to be. Better to make your point eloquently in a short space, then ramble on with forced ideas, but that's just me.

They say we need to send MCAT scores for our application to be complete. Do we have to actually send them? Aren't they already on our AMCAS application?

They recommend about a page for the essays*

Also they request three letters of recommendation but can we submit more if we want to?

Also they request three letters of recommendation but can we submit more if we want to?

Ya you can submit more just make sure they are all good, because you dont want mediocre letters to buffer out your great letters.

Submitted last night. Put me in the 1/2 page club for essay #2. I tried to write more, but it just seemed forced and I didn't like it. Personally, I believe if I am able to make my point in half a page, then half a page is all it needs to be. Better to make your point eloquently in a short space, then ramble on with forced ideas, but that's just me.

JW half page single or double spaced?

I emailed the school about the first question. Their response: You are not required to answer only one question. You are more than welcome to write about your unique characteristics and then describe a significant difficulty as well.

For anyone other than me wondering :p

Yay, finally got this secondary today, but still can't write all that much for the second prompt

Yay, finally got this secondary today, but still can't write all that much for the second prompt

I finally got mine today as well! To answer the second question, I actually looked at various organizations who actual put the interprofessional team in place and their take on it. Also, I took a pros/cons approach and found I had a lot more to write about... Alas, just my two cents.

Okay.. I filled out the secondary and clicked "submit". Once I did that, it took me to a window that said "payment is not currently available"... does that mean it didnt get submitted? anyone else have this issue?

Okay.. I filled out the secondary and clicked "submit". Once I did that, it took me to a window that said "payment is not currently available"... does that mean it didnt get submitted? anyone else have this issue?

I submitted and paid about an hour ago, all went well...

I submitted and paid about an hour ago, all went well...

Once you clicked the submit button, it took you to the payment screen right away?

Also, did u get an email to confirm your payment / submission?

I emailed them to ask about this.. >.<

Once you clicked the submit button, it took you to the payment screen right away?

Also, did u get an email to confirm your payment / submission?

I emailed them to ask about this.. >.<

I got two emails. One immediately after hitting submit (like lightning fast), then another about two minutes after paying. Neither said I was complete, just mentioned that I finished those two parts. Hope that helps.

I got two emails. One immediately after hitting submit (like lightning fast), then another about two minutes after paying. Neither said I was complete, just mentioned that I finished those two parts. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I just got an email saying that I submitted, but yea it doesnt mention me paying. I emailed them anyways to tell them I didnt pay yet lol (not that I want to pay them haha)

Just got secondary and submitted! Good luck everybody!

just finished the first essay; 1.5 pages single spaced

I'm not sure if I'll even be able to hit 0.5 pages for the second page though.

This secondary is such a pain in the ass. Kill me.