2013-2014 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay prompt will go here. PM me when it's available. GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I am currently finishing up my first year here at SUNY Downstate and I - along with a few of my classmates - will try to follow this thread to answer any questions you'll have about the application, student life, the curriculum, or anything else you can think of.

I'll post a short blurb about my experiences later, but I just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best of luck this cycle. Applying to med school is pretty stressful and the long periods of time spent waiting around for decisions doesn't help, so make sure you're also enjoying the last year before you start medical school!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I am currently finishing up my first year here at SUNY Downstate and I - along with a few of my classmates - will try to follow this thread to answer any questions you'll have about the application, student life, the curriculum, or anything else you can think of.

I'll post a short blurb about my experiences later, but I just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best of luck this cycle. Applying to med school is pretty stressful and the long periods of time spent waiting around for decisions doesn't help, so make sure you're also enjoying the last year before you start medical school!

SUNY Downstate is definitely on my list and I just wanted to know more about the school. I understand that you haven't done MS3 and further, but I still would like to know what you know and have heard so far. Thank you in advance for your time!

How many students do you know who conducted research as a MS1? In other words, how easy is it to get involved in research as a MS1?

I understand that Downstate has many immigrant patient populations as well as diverse exposures to cases. From what you saw and heard, can you describe the volume and diversity of patients?

How were your schedules like for MS1 (and 2)? Are your afternoons completely open, like the schedules at Case?

What would you have done differently if you could do the whole medical school (MS1 as well as application cycles) again?

What were the things you wish you would have known?

Can you describe your transition to med school from college? Or describe your MS1 experiences in general, both good and bad things about curriculum and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Downstate is definitely on my list and I just wanted to know more about the school. I understand that you haven't done MS3 and further, but I still would like to know what you know and have heard so far. Thank you in advance for your time!

How many students do you know who conducted research as a MS1? In other words, how easy is it to get involved in research as a MS1?

Research opportunities are pretty easy to come by. It's not very common (although I guess it is possible) in the school year, but many of us hop on to a project for the summer. There are seminars/talks for the MS1 class where different professors will discuss their research as well. Professors are also very open and responsive to emails. I know Downstate is not generally seen as a "research powerhouse," but there are many interesting opportunities that my friends are working on this summer ranging from bench work to being on call in the ER for patient recruitment to working in the delivery room collecting cord blood to chart review.

I understand that Downstate has many immigrant patient populations as well as diverse exposures to cases. From what you saw and heard, can you describe the volume and diversity of patients?

This is a point that has been really stressed by the MS3 and MS4 that I've talked to. Our school's clinical exposure is something that it prides itself on. To put it simply, there is a huge patient volume and an enormous patient diversity. After all, Downstate is the only school for the entire borough of Brooklyn. Another thing that I've noticed (in my limited experience) is how much respect and responsibility the patients give you - a lot of them treat you as a doctor instead of shunning you away.

One thing I do want to point out is the incredible diversity in our school as well. The large majority of my classmates have immigrant parents and are going to be the first doctors in their families. And I think it's great to get so many unique viewpoints.

How were your schedules like for MS1 (and 2)? Are your afternoons completely open, like the schedules at Case?

So we are actually the last class (2016) before the curriculum changes so things are a little different for you. For us, a typical day would be 2-3 hour lectures in the morning followed either by anatomy or histology lab or small group work. There is the occasional afternoon off (usually 1-2 a week) but it really depends what block we're on. I'm not too familiar with the new curriculum but I know that it's much less lecture based with more of an emphasis on small group work.

What would you have done differently if you could do the whole medical school (MS1 as well as application cycles) again?

What were the things you wish you would have known?

Can you describe your transition to med school from college? Or describe your MS1 experiences in general, both good and bad things about curriculum and etc.

Probably not stress so much during the application cycle. It's funny how little you care about the application cycle when you're looking back on it, and in retrospect I was probably on SDN a little too much... It also doesn't hurt to be proactive with schools and to send in updates.

This whole last year was a big transition for me, not just going to med school but also moving to NY (I grew up and went to college in CA). My biggest regret was probably not understanding the hectic process of renting an apartment out here and dealing with brokers. Also I didn't know how to adjust a radiator for the longest time...

It's been a very surreal year in general, but it has been a lot of fun. When you come in, it all seems very daunting and intimating but it's crazy how quickly you get accustomed to something. I wouldn't worry too much about the academic side of things. It's tough, but there are a ton of resources and everyone is very friendly and helpful. You really end up finding your groove and figuring out how to study effectively.

The bad? Unfortunately, there is a large disparity in the quality of some lecturers: some are really good and some not so much. But that's not all that different from college, at least in my experience. And yes, the school is a little run down and the facilities are not that great but I feel like there is some pride in this "underdog" mentality.

Ultimately, I think the things that really matter in picking a school are classmates you get along with, administration that is supportive and responsive, and a clinical education that prepares you for your future, and I really think downstate has all those. Although I may be a little biased...

Last edited:
Hoping for some OOS love. I grew up in Brooklyn and it would be great if they liked that :p

How strong of an applicant do you need to be to have a shot OOS?

I'm a reapplicant from Central NJ. I trained many Downstate Grads in Epic when I worked at NYU.

3.67 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 29S MCAT, honors thesis among a couple other stuff. Also taught Epic at NYU. Any chance? (Last year I didn't do the secondary)

Does anyone have the secondary essays? Please post it.

Does anyone have the secondary essays? Please post it.

People usually post them or that they got the secondary basically instantaneously. Pretty sure no one here has it yet. Last year they came out on 7/9 so maybe we can hope for Monday!

Here is last year's secondary:

Question:
Describe briefly an extended scholarly activity in which you either worked independently or contributed significantly within a small group. Include information on how results were presented and what you learned from the experience. Subject areas may include any field - the sciences, social sciences, humanities. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question and write "None" in the text box. (Limit 150 words)

Question:
List any full time or part time peer teaching experiences that lasted a minimum of one academic year (give dates). Include the number of hours per week spent in this activity. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question, and write "NONE" in the text box. (Limit 100 words)

Question (optional):
If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)

Question (optional):
If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 2012 to July 2013. (Limit 200 words)

Question (optional):
If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)

Question (optional):
If you have a specific reason why do you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 100 words)

Last edited:
When are apps looked at and when are interviews usually given out?

Downstate accepts students on a rolling basis, interviews start as early as August

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know around when in August?

I am one of the tour guide coordinators for your incoming class, and we have yet to meet with admissions, and since classes do not start until early August, I would say the earliest to expect an interview would be the latter half of August.

Can anyone post the prompt?

You can bet that as soon as they're available, this will be the first place you'll find them. I'm really not trying to be sassy, but asking repeatedly for the prompts will not make them come faster. I replied to your last request with last year's prompts if you want to take the chance on pre-writing without the certainty they'll be the same.

You can bet that as soon as they're available, this will be the first place you'll find them. I'm really not trying to be sassy, but asking repeatedly for the prompts will not make them come faster. I replied to your last request with last year's prompts if you want to take the chance on pre-writing without the certainty they'll be the same.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for the prompt again a couple of days after I asked about it. If a person get 20 secondaries, will he necessarily remember that he has to post one for this school? Putting this post on first page of the forum serves as that reminder. This is especially true since last application cycle the secondary for this school was out already.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for the prompt again a couple of days after I asked about it. If a person get 20 secondaries, will he necessarily remember that he has to post one for this school? Putting this post on first page of the forum serves as that reminder. This is especially true since last application cycle the secondary for this school was out already.

Chill dude.

You'll get the secondary the same time as everyone else (MSAR says they don't screen), and if you don't, most likely whoever gets it first will post here that they received it, and everyone will +1 him if you really want to be ahead a few hours.

Chill dude.

You'll get the secondary the same time as everyone else (MSAR says they don't screen), and if you don't, most likely whoever gets it first will post here that they received it, and everyone will +1 him if you really want to be ahead a few hours.

I'm chill bro, don't worry about it.

So... I went to their admissions seminar, I overhead a conversation with Dean Gerber and a student as I waited on line. There will be different questions this year.

So... I went to their admissions seminar, I overhead a conversation with Dean Gerber and a student as I waited on line. There will be different questions this year.

DANG. I just finished pre-writing this secondary. I really hope that in addition to new questions, that the secondary gives higher word limits - I genuinely feel that I couldn't do justice discussing why I'm a good fit for Downstate and why I am interested in the school with the word limits from last year.

Same as last year; I'd post but in in traffic right now

If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 2013 to July 2014. Please enter none if there are none. (Limit 200 words)

If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)

If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 100 words)

If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 2013 to July 2014. Please enter none if there are none. (Limit 200 words)

If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 100 words)

Are these questions part of the secondary?

"Question:
Describe briefly an extended scholarly activity in which you either worked independently or contributed significantly within a small group. Include information on how results were presented and what you learned from the experience. Subject areas may include any field - the sciences, social sciences, humanities. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question and write “None” in the text box. (Limit 150 words)

Question:
List any full time or part time peer teaching experiences that lasted a minimum of one academic year (give dates). Include the number of hours per week spent in this activity. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question, and write "NONE" in the text box. (Limit 100 words) "

Are these questions part of the secondary?

"Question:
Describe briefly an extended scholarly activity in which you either worked independently or contributed significantly within a small group. Include information on how results were presented and what you learned from the experience. Subject areas may include any field - the sciences, social sciences, humanities. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question and write “None” in the text box. (Limit 150 words)

Question:
List any full time or part time peer teaching experiences that lasted a minimum of one academic year (give dates). Include the number of hours per week spent in this activity. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question, and write "NONE" in the text box. (Limit 100 words) "

Nooooope!

filling out secondary and I have a quick question... When listing course work their instructions say, "If a prerequisite was divided into separate lecture and lab, list each separately. If you took a course under the quarter system, you will need to list 3 quarters=2 semesters." Do they mean to literally write "3 quarters=2 semesters" the additional information box?

Question for this (and other) applications:

If a school asks you which biology classes you've taken to fulfill their requirements, are you also listing other additional advanced biology classes in the same area?

Goodluck to all applying.

Question for this (and other) applications:

If a school asks you which biology classes you've taken to fulfill their requirements, are you also listing other additional advanced biology classes in the same area?

Goodluck to all applying.

Hey! No, only the ones that specifically fulfill their requirements. Do not list any additional courses. Goodluck!

Do we really have to submit course descriptions for every one of our prerequisites?

"Submit any course descriptions, any information about accelerated course sequences, or non-traditional course sequences as a scanned PDF to [email protected]."

Seriously? The fact that course title is Biology 101 - Intro to Biology isn't enough?

Do we really have to submit course descriptions for every one of our prerequisites?

"Submit any course descriptions, any information about accelerated course sequences, or non-traditional course sequences as a scanned PDF to [email protected]."

Seriously? The fact that course title is Biology 101 - Intro to Biology isn't enough?

+1 - also wondering if I need to submit these. I also feel that a course title like "General Chemistry I with Lab" ought to suffice. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Hey! No, only the ones that specifically fulfill their requirements. Do not list any additional courses. Goodluck!

Thanks swim88! So you wouldnt even list classes that are listed as 'recommended'?

Has anyone found out if we actually need to submit course descriptions?

Has anyone found out if we actually need to submit course descriptions?

I took this to mean only if the course title is misleading/some kind of explanation is required. Y'all are being neurotic :p

I took this to mean only if the course title is misleading/some kind of explanation is required. Y'all are being neurotic :p

I used it as a way to explain how the course number I inputted is different from the course number on my official transcript, because I couldn't fit it in the space provided

Yikes I'm a nontrad and my earliest basic premed courses (the bio ones) were taken about 7 years ago as a freshman...I listed them in the bio section but also listed some more recent classes that were on their list of 'recommended' courses (like anatomy and genetics that I took in the past year) just in case the early bio ones "expired."
I only entered the minimum required classes for every other section. Hope they don't shred my application- Downstate's one of my top 2 choices!

good luck to all applying!:D

Yikes I'm a nontrad and my earliest basic premed courses (the bio ones) were taken about 7 years ago as a freshman...I listed them in the bio section but also listed some more recent classes that were on their list of 'recommended' courses (like anatomy and genetics that I took in the past year) just in case the early bio ones "expired."
I only entered the minimum required classes for every other section. Hope they don't shred my application- Downstate's one of my top 2 choices!

good luck to all applying!:D

I did this as well b.c my school's bio labs are only for upper division bio classes. I was worried that if i write a gen bio class which didnt match the lab , they might look at it and be like wtf....

it would look weird if i put bio 101 and microbio lab
Instead i wrote microbio and micro lab.

Anyone unable to pay their application fee?

I'm a third year (rotations started a couple weeks ago). I'd be happy to chime in as well.

This may be a stupid question, but in the section where we list all the pre-req's if the class was a combined lecture and lab (received one grade, 4 credits), do we list the lab separately? I think not, but the instructions confused me.

This may be a stupid question, but in the section where we list all the pre-req's if the class was a combined lecture and lab (received one grade, 4 credits), do we list the lab separately? I think not, but the instructions confused me.

I didn't, but in the additional info box on the bottom I wrote that they were combined lecture lab courses.

Got an email from Downstate today asking for upcoming fall 2013 grades to be forwarded to them as soon as they are available. Anyone have insight into this or know if this is good news?

Got an email from Downstate today asking for upcoming fall 2013 grades to be forwarded to them as soon as they are available. Anyone have insight into this or know if this is good news?

are you non-Trad? I think it is good news for non-Trad, but maybe less so for current undergrads...