You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Texas A&M Application Thread
Started by sector9
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
have any waitlisters heard anything?
Nope...at least I havent.have any waitlisters heard anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine - Class of '18
I'm not. I've got to move, go on vacation and be as lazy as possible during the summer. Plus, I got Temple so I'd have to find somewhere to stay for a short time. This is probably a more attractive offer to students graduation A&M this semester who are already established in the area.
Someone left the FB group for a different school last week. I don't know how Texas A&M fills the empty spots though (immediately or waits to a certain date).
So if you are the waitlist and you did not send in an update letter, will this hurt your chances of being accepted off of the waitlist?
So if you are the waitlist and you did not send in an update letter, will this hurt your chances of being accepted off of the waitlist?
A&M has a ranked waitlist, so probably not. But who knows.
the wait is killing me!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like I'm kind of fumbling around in the dark with regard to how I'm going to pay for school...
Where/when can I apply for scholarships? Also, can anyone recommend scholarships to apply to?
I'm also looking into taking out loans. I started filling out my fafsa this past weekend, but I'm not sure if there's something else I should be doing right now.
Am I behind the ball or ahead of it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Where/when can I apply for scholarships? Also, can anyone recommend scholarships to apply to?
I'm also looking into taking out loans. I started filling out my fafsa this past weekend, but I'm not sure if there's something else I should be doing right now.
Am I behind the ball or ahead of it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

From the Facebook page, it appears that a committee meets and decides on how scholarships will be distributed so I don't think there is anything we can do on our end. We won't find anything out about financial aid until the end of May
Do we have .edu emails yet?
Congrats!! Hopefully Ill hear something soon too! J/w what number did they call you from? Or did they email you? I have a terrible fear that I'm going to miss the phone call or think its a telemarketer and lose my opportunity to get off the waitlist.Got off the waitlist, 1pm today!
Got off the waitlist, 1pm today!
Congrats man! Welcome to Class of 2018! Did you get an option to choose between campuses?
Got off the waitlist, 1pm today!
Congrats!
Haha, strange enough I had this same fear. It was email only for me, and caught me totally by surprise.Congrats!! Hopefully Ill hear something soon too! J/w what number did they call you from? Or did they email you? I have a terrible fear that I'm going to miss the phone call or think its a telemarketer and lose my opportunity to get off the waitlist.
I did not receive campus designation information yet.
Got a scholarship yesterday! 15k/year! Still a bit stunned
Got accepted off the waitlist at 10:30 A.M. today! I had no acceptances up to this point and was on 4 waitlists so the email was a big relief.
Anyone know when I might get an idea of campus designation? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
Anyone know when I might get an idea of campus designation? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!Got accepted off the waitlist at 10:30 A.M. today! I had no acceptances up to this point and was on 4 waitlists so the email was a big relief.
Anyone know when I might get an idea of campus designation? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.
congrats, you are IS or OOS?
IS, interviewed on 11/21. 3.7/35 if anyone is curious about stats.
From one of the presentations, I believe around 5-6% of the class, at that time, was OOS. This was back in the middle of January though. From years past, it seems as though most of the waitlist movement at Texas schools occur in the middle/end of May. Good luck!
thanks!!!From one of the presentations, I believe around 5-6% of the class, at that time, was OOS. This was back in the middle of January though. From years past, it seems as though most of the waitlist movement at Texas schools occur in the middle/end of May. Good luck!
You should be able to add individual letters to your packet. I had my committee letter, two science profs, and a work supervisor all in my packet.Anybody not use an HPAC letter? I think individually my LOR would be stronger than a committee letter because of my workplace relationship.
I just used 2 letters from professors. It's not uncommon to skip the committee letter.Anybody not use an HPAC letter? I think individually my LOR would be stronger than a committee letter because of my workplace relationship.
It depends on how exactly your pre-med committee does your packet. I bolded the parts from TMDSAS relevant to how my undergrad did it. Basically, they submit a packet for you, which contains one letter written by your actual pre-med advisor or committe. ALSO included in said packet are any supporting letters you receive, with no limit (though obviously use your judgment and don't include like 37). Then if you got some other letter later that wasn't in the packet, you could submit that to TMDSAS as your additional letter (I didn't need to do that, though).Ahh, thanks guys. I'm a bit confused about Chillbo Baggins' post. I searched here and read TMDAS. I thought we can do 1 comm. letter + 1 extra letter OR 2 individual letter +1 extra letter.
WHAT IS A HEALTH PROFESSIONS COMMITTEE PACKET?
Many institutions utilize a Health Professions Committee Packet for their professional school applicants. These packets come in three basic formats:
- Committee letter with supporting letters attached.
- Committee letter that is composed and uses quotes from various evaluators but may or may not have supporting letters attached.
- Collection of individual evaluation letters which may also include a cover letter from an advising office or school letter service. The advising office or school letter service serves as a central collection service for the applicant, but does not make additional assessments of the candidate.
There is now! They were created without any fanfare.Just wondering how come there's not a thread for the 2014-2015 cycle yet.
http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net...th-science-center-application-thread.1074048/
Sorry if this has been addressed already, haven't seen it in this thread nor in the 2014 thread. Does A&M require research ("scholarly activity") or service at all before graduating?
Bumping. Very helpful this year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad