You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Texas Tech - El Paso Application Thread
Started by sector9
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any information packet or e-mail that gets sent out to the prospective interviewers?
Is there any information packet or e-mail that gets sent out to the prospective interviewers?
Yeah you should get an email a few days before your interview that just tells you the location and some info about the interview itself. I had the interview today and it was super awesome. Really great facilities and everyone was extremely welcoming. Even the MS1s were coming in during the lunch and just talking with us about the school. Certainly changed my view of El Paso for the better.
Yeah you should get an email a few days before your interview that just tells you the location and some info about the interview itself. I had the interview today and it was super awesome. Really great facilities and everyone was extremely welcoming. Even the MS1s were coming in during the lunch and just talking with us about the school. Certainly changed my view of El Paso for the better.
Do you mind share your interview questions? Thanks.
Is the curriculum true P/F ? Also is there AOA at EP?
is the curriculum true p/f ? Also is there aoa at ep?
aoa?
P/F for first two years; then H/P/F for last two years I believe
In terms of files, they are open. I think that they have access to all. My two interviewers knew my background and personal statement, but made no reference to my scores, etc. The other folks there that day agreed that the interviews were conversational and relaxed. Don't stress. Nice day/nice folks.
In terms of files, they are open. I think that they have access to all. My two interviewers knew my background and personal statement, but made no reference to my scores, etc. The other folks there that day agreed that the interviews were conversational and relaxed. Don't stress. Nice day/nice folks.
aoa?
Alpha Omega Alpha.
Its an honor society whose membership is usually offered to the top quartile (maybe top 10%) of med students.
I brought it up because if its a true P/F without internal ranking, then IDK how the AOA thing would work.
Alpha Omega Alpha.
Its an honor society whose membership is usually offered to the top quartile (maybe top 10%) of med students.
I brought it up because if its a true P/F without internal ranking, then IDK how the AOA thing would work.
ah, thanks for the clarification. most med schools have a chapter?
For those who have attended interviews, have they ended right at 3 or a little before/after? I'm trying to plan flights with the time required to get back to the airport etc. so I don't pick a bad flight time.
The shuttle provided leaves the school at 3:15 pm. My flight was around 5 pm and I still had plenty of time to spare one we got to the airport.
II received yesterday for Sept. Transmitted first week of August. GPA 3.7+, 28-31 MCAT. Looking forward to finally start interview season!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mind share your interview questions? Thanks.
Some ethics questions that weren't particularly difficult to answer. Stuff about how you would react in certain situations and "what are your views on..." kind of questions. The interviews are open file and they might ask you general questions about your application. Just be relaxed and act cool. It was a very easygoing interview, not stressful at all.
Can someone please answer this question for me.
I was looking through the El Paso secondary, and I started it and clicked save and continue without filling out the essay, I was just checking what else is required. Did that submit my secondary?? just by clicking save and continue?? I didn't pay for the secondary yet either.
I was looking through the El Paso secondary, and I started it and clicked save and continue without filling out the essay, I was just checking what else is required. Did that submit my secondary?? just by clicking save and continue?? I didn't pay for the secondary yet either.
Can someone please answer this question for me.
I was looking through the El Paso secondary, and I started it and clicked save and continue without filling out the essay, I was just checking what else is required. Did that submit my secondary?? just by clicking save and continue?? I didn't pay for the secondary yet either.
No it didn't submit, no worries.
Just wanted to congratulate everyone who has received a II here. I think you will really enjoy the school.
The staff here is really nice, and I don't imagine anyone giving really tough interviews. If you have any questions about the school, I'd be happy to answer them.
The staff here is really nice, and I don't imagine anyone giving really tough interviews. If you have any questions about the school, I'd be happy to answer them.
Any OOS applicants received II? Merlin says that I have "no status"... 🙁
Any OOS applicants received II? Merlin says that I have "no status"... 🙁
Don't worry about no status. That shows up even for those with iis
In the morning, are you taking a cab to the school?
I picked 9/12 for my interview also. Looking forward to meeting you all there!
In the morning, are you taking a cab to the school?
I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express and they offer a shuttle to Texas Tech!
Also, anyone (Including current students) willing to give me a rides/split a cab to the social on Wednesday night? Lemme know!!
Do they send out an email about the social? I haven't heard anything yet
Do they send out an email about the social? I haven't heard anything yet
Yes.
I wont be at the social since my flight gets in at 9PM.
First II!
Hey Everyone,
Interviewed at El Paso last Thursday and I'll be as thorough as I can to help future interviewees.
1st: Stayed at Holiday Inn and Suites Air Port. Best experience I've ever had, they had a shuttle from Airport to Hotel, Hotel - School, Hotel - Any food in a 3 mile radius Ect. They really hooked it up.
2nd: The Paul Foster curriculum is one of the most amazing in Texas. They have a PBL like structure that will incorporate the sciences with the presentation of a disease which really solidifies learning. Their SIM center with standardized patients is on point as well.
3rd. Interviews were VERY conversational. My first interviewer knew EVERYTHING about me, with written notes in a spiral and blanks underneath her questions to fill in with my answers. They seemed genuinely interested in advocating for many of us in their upcoming class. My second interviewer had made up his mind before I even walked in the room. We just talked about life for a while and he only asked 3 questions. They just wanted to confirm that we were not crazy. It set a great tone for the school
4th. Students were AWESOME. I went to the social the night before and was only amongst 2 other individuals. The students answered all our questions and really sold the school. Despite being in El Paso, everyone seemed pretty happy with things.
If you have any questions, let me know! Best of luck friends 🙂
Interviewed at El Paso last Thursday and I'll be as thorough as I can to help future interviewees.
1st: Stayed at Holiday Inn and Suites Air Port. Best experience I've ever had, they had a shuttle from Airport to Hotel, Hotel - School, Hotel - Any food in a 3 mile radius Ect. They really hooked it up.
2nd: The Paul Foster curriculum is one of the most amazing in Texas. They have a PBL like structure that will incorporate the sciences with the presentation of a disease which really solidifies learning. Their SIM center with standardized patients is on point as well.
3rd. Interviews were VERY conversational. My first interviewer knew EVERYTHING about me, with written notes in a spiral and blanks underneath her questions to fill in with my answers. They seemed genuinely interested in advocating for many of us in their upcoming class. My second interviewer had made up his mind before I even walked in the room. We just talked about life for a while and he only asked 3 questions. They just wanted to confirm that we were not crazy. It set a great tone for the school
4th. Students were AWESOME. I went to the social the night before and was only amongst 2 other individuals. The students answered all our questions and really sold the school. Despite being in El Paso, everyone seemed pretty happy with things.
If you have any questions, let me know! Best of luck friends 🙂
Hey Everyone,
Interviewed at El Paso last Thursday and I'll be as thorough as I can to help future interviewees.
1st: Stayed at Holiday Inn and Suites Air Port. Best experience I've ever had, they had a shuttle from Airport to Hotel, Hotel - School, Hotel - Any food in a 3 mile radius Ect. They really hooked it up.
2nd: The Paul Foster curriculum is one of the most amazing in Texas. They have a PBL like structure that will incorporate the sciences with the presentation of a disease which really solidifies learning. Their SIM center with standardized patients is on point as well.
3rd. Interviews were VERY conversational. My first interviewer knew EVERYTHING about me, with written notes in a spiral and blanks underneath her questions to fill in with my answers. They seemed genuinely interested in advocating for many of us in their upcoming class. My second interviewer had made up his mind before I even walked in the room. We just talked about life for a while and he only asked 3 questions. They just wanted to confirm that we were not crazy. It set a great tone for the school
4th. Students were AWESOME. I went to the social the night before and was only amongst 2 other individuals. The students answered all our questions and really sold the school. Despite being in El Paso, everyone seemed pretty happy with things.
If you have any questions, let me know! Best of luck friends 🙂
+1, thank you for the info
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone else have any feedback on how the interviews and everything went? getting nervous/excited cause this will be my first interview
does anyone else have any feedback on how the interviews and everything went? getting nervous/excited cause this will be my first interview
interviews were very relaxed. Just dont be too nervous or awkward.
The school itself was nice and modern. Pay attention to their presentations so you can talk about them during your interviews and ask them questions about certain aspects of it.
I asked my interviewer why she picked EP/ what she thought of the surgical program at EP/ and what was special about PLF that made it a better choice than the other schools.
I interviewed here today. The day started out in a lecture hall and we had orange juice coffee water and cookies available. we had a couple presentations about the school and the curriculum and then we toured the campus. It was a fantastic looking school with very modern teaching tools. It is a true pass/fail system and all of the students said that they loved how that system fostered a collaborative environment. Their integration of clinical applications and basic sciences was very interesting and it seemed like a good method to learn how to be a doctor early on and be ready for the wards come 3rd year. All of the students I talked to seemed very happy to be there and enjoyed the curriculum and the city. The interviews were the most conversational that I have had yet and I enjoyed talking to both of my interviewers. Overall I was very impressed with the school and would be happy to go here.
I interviewed here today. The day started out in a lecture hall and we had orange juice coffee water and cookies available. we had a couple presentations about the school and the curriculum and then we toured the campus. It was a fantastic looking school with very modern teaching tools. It is a true pass/fail system and all of the students said that they loved how that system fostered a collaborative environment. Their integration of clinical applications and basic sciences was very interesting and it seemed like a good method to learn how to be a doctor early on and be ready for the wards come 3rd year. All of the students I talked to seemed very happy to be there and enjoyed the curriculum and the city. The interviews were the most conversational that I have had yet and I enjoyed talking to both of my interviewers. Overall I was very impressed with the school and would be happy to go here.
Agreed. Did they joke about how they "were up all night baking those cookies" that they bought from Subway? Man their facilities are unreal, the laparoscopic simulator was just too cool.
I didn't actually hear them say that about the cookies. I agree about the sim center and the laparoscopic sim. All the little individual pieces that they get to use for the medical skills class was fantastic. I wasn't sure what to expect but their whole building was fantastic and the students were all very happy to be there.
Now that this was brought up in another thread I'm curious. Does anyone know how many of the total acceptances are given out during prematch? Also I was wondering how many people get acceptance offers out of those that interviewed?
Now that this was brought up in another thread I'm curious. Does anyone know how many of the total acceptances are given out during prematch? Also I was wondering how many people get acceptance offers out of those that interviewed?
Stats page I posted on the other thread has some of this info
Stats page I posted on the other thread has some of this info
Yeah that got me intrigued. Was hoping if anyone had more info as well
Also got a II on Friday. Everything was transmitted 7/18.
^Thanks for posting... Even though y'all make me jealous
Note to future ll. our student host program is solid. Save money. 🙂
Note to future ll. our student host program is solid. Save money. 🙂
I can confirm this! Not only was my host really nice and informative, he even picked me up from the airport (close to midnight) and dropped me back off after my interview. Very gracious.
do you mind to share your stats? thanksAlso got a II on Friday. Everything was transmitted 7/18.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My application here recently went from closed to open. Does that mean they're reviewing my app? I know I'm overanalyzing but I'm also curious.
I just checked and mine is open as well. Weird.
I just checked and mine is open as well. Weird.
Mine just reopened today also. Not sure what it means, if anything
mine just reopened today also. Not sure what it means, if anything
+3
Interview invite! 😱
Weehoo! Just got an II for November!
Keep your heads up and stay confident. TTEP is still showing us some love 🙂
Secondary complete early Aug.
Nice!
Nothing on my end. I guess they don't think I'm their type.
