2013-2014 Texas Tech - El Paso Application Thread

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else receiving e-mails from merlin asking you to make activate an account? I have been having trouble with this
 
Merlin has repetitively been e-mailing me, stating that I need to make an eRaider e-mail account. I attempted to make one, but I need an activation code. I called IT, who transferred me to student services...who transferred me to PF's IT...who stated I needed to talk to student services, find my sponsor and get an ID. I gave up. lol
 
Merlin has repetitively been e-mailing me, stating that I need to make an eRaider e-mail account. I attempted to make one, but I need an activation code. I called IT, who transferred me to student services...who transferred me to PF's IT...who stated I needed to talk to student services, find my sponsor and get an ID. I gave up. lol
ah. really? I was under the impression we make the email accounts after paperwork is all finalized (aka we are going there for sure)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merlin has repetitively been e-mailing me, stating that I need to make an eRaider e-mail account. I attempted to make one, but I need an activation code. I called IT, who transferred me to student services...who transferred me to PF's IT...who stated I needed to talk to student services, find my sponsor and get an ID. I gave up. lol

The same thing is happening to me, and I also gave up 🙂 … for now.
 
Does anyone else think more pre-matches will go on 12/16 based on last years thread?

I interviewed this past thurs and they said we could possibly hear back as soon as the next day, or maybe Monday (12/16), so yes I was expecting some prematches to go out by yesterday. I haven't heard anything, so I'm hoping they just haven't sent them out yet! :O
 
I interviewed this past thurs and they said we could possibly hear back as soon as the next day, or maybe Monday (12/16), so yes I was expecting some prematches to go out by yesterday. I haven't heard anything, so I'm hoping they just haven't sent them out yet! :O
I interviewed Dec. 5th, and I remember them saying that they review interviewees the evening of the interview. They then rank the interviewees and give out pre matches as needed. So, depending on how where they rank you, one could get a prematch the day after the interview (happened to someone who interviewed the same day as me).
 
I love Paul Fosters system of reviewing applicants. Rather than having a strict point scale, the impression you make during interview day is weighed just as important as your other factors. They decide on you immediately vs waiting.
 
Do you guys remember what they said about apartments? I think one of the biggest factors in choosing a school for me is making sure I can get an apartment near the school (within a 5-10 minute walk). Someone told me that Foster's closest apartments are a 15 minute drive. Is this true? I completely forgot what they said about housing.
 
They said most students lived on the west side. Which is probably 10-15 minute (NOT SURE) depending on traffic. Of course there's apartments everywhere though..
 
Does anyone know how the rotations here are good? Do students tend to have to move out of El Paso on their last two years?
 
Last edited:
Do you guys remember what they said about apartments? I think one of the biggest factors in choosing a school for me is making sure I can get an apartment near the school (within a 5-10 minute walk). Someone told me that Foster's closest apartments are a 15 minute drive. Is this true? I completely forgot what they said about housing.

I stayed with a student on the West side of town (past the mountain range). It took about 20mins to get to Foster in the morning, with traffic. The student I was staying with told me that there is apartment-style housing in downtown el paso (5-10 mins drive?), but virtually nothing that is within walking distance.
 
I stayed with a student on the West side of town (past the mountain range). It took about 20mins to get to Foster in the morning, with traffic. The student I was staying with told me that there is apartment-style housing in downtown el paso (5-10 mins drive?), but virtually nothing that is within walking distance.

I stayed with a person on the East side I think. They said most people live on the west side but it was a little more expensive so they got one on the east side. I think from either direction it's a 10-15 min drive. I remember taking the highway though the entire way and it was a quick and easy drive.
 
Just to add, I also heard most live on the west side. One student lived on the west side in a duplex for 700-800/month and another student had a 1 bedroom apartment on the east side close to school for 550/month. They both were very happy with their places so it seems like CoL would be pretty low in El Paso.
 
Another thing to note is that a lot of students live in the same apt. complexes and it's fairly easy to carpool if you don't want to drive everyday or if you want to save some money
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed here yesterday. What an awesome school and curriculum! Everyone there was so friendly and the school looks so new! El Paso was also surprisingly nice and beautiful.
I just got a pre-match offer to TCOM today, but I would love to come to Tx Tech-El Paso. I hope I get the chance! 🙂
 
How are the quality of rotations in El Paso? I want to be able to stay in the same area all 4 yrs due to family but I heard that most end up going to Amarillo or Lubbock for clinicals.
 
How are the quality of rotations in El Paso? I want to be able to stay in the same area all 4 yrs due to family but I heard that most end up going to Amarillo or Lubbock for clinicals.
I think you'll stay in EP all for 4 yrs with an option doing a rotation somewhere else your 4th yr.
 
Do they or have they ever given prematch offers during January or is this it until feb 1st? I hear they tend to make decisions right after interviews so I'm wondering if it's possible for those that interview in January, as well.
 
How is El Paso for having a family? I will be bringing my wife and dog there.
 
Last edited:
Ranked EP #1 and hoping to hear good news on match day. So tired of waiting. Im curious at to what my odds are. I'm hoping a lot of the prematches go elsewhere and most of the class comes from match.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told they were conservative with their prematches and filled most of the class through match so there's a good chance for a lot of people.
I remember the med student I stayed with mentioned that he knew more people who matched than pre-matched. There is always hope!