2013-2014 The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can any student comment if we are interviewing late (february) , that we still have a chance of getting in right away?

Rejected pre-interview today, 3.9+/36 and complete in mid-October. Disappointed, but oh well. At least the email came after a good interview with another school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can any student comment if we are interviewing late (february) , that we still have a chance of getting in right away?

Not sure when the last interview was last year, but I interviewed in the middle of February and got in on March 1st, so definitely possible!!

are they done handing out interviews??

Maybe. I recall someone posting earlier in the thread that they were rejected with a letter to the effect that they had already finished preliminary review of applications. I don't think it means they are necessarily done with IIs. Didn't interviews go until late February/early March last year?

I think if they were done handing out interviews, we would all know. Aka we would be getting rejections.
I jinxed myself. Aka I got a rejection this morning. Good luck everyone else!

So I interviewed today and absolutely loved it. The staff and the students were the nicest I've met so far on the interview trail and my fellow interviewees were really nice and outgoing too. Also providence was very cool.

I guess everyone still waiting for a decision probably already knows this but we should all hear back on February 14th. Here's to hoping!!! :p

Brown just changed their preclinical years to pass/fail (technically, satisfactory/no credit). http://bit.ly/Ln7B8g

Big deal or little deal?

So to those of you who sent your interviewers thank you letters, how did you go about it? Did you use mail or email and how did you get their addresses?

Members don't see this ad :)
So to those of you who sent your interviewers thank you letters, how did you go about it? Did you use mail or email and how did you get their addresses?

I sent a thank you email right after and a letter later in the week- I found both their email and mailing address on the AMS faculty pages (pretty much just by googling...) good luck!

Anyone remember if there's an inordinate amount of walking on the tour?

No, actually. We stayed in the building (beautiful!) the entire time.

winterchill is right, though depending on where you are interviewing you may have to do a bit of walking inside and outside.

Thanks guys! Excited to be back in the biggest littlest state in the union this weekend!

The Honors/Pass/Fail was the only flaw in this school. Brown was absolutely phenomenal.

Rejected pre-interview at 3:30pm Eastern today. A big part of me is like "Jeez, finally," haha. Good luck to everybody else.

Rejected pre-interview at 3:30pm Eastern today. A big part of me is like "Jeez, finally," haha. Good luck to everybody else.
+1 to everything!
Good luck!

+1 to everything!
Good luck!
+1
Rejected pre-interview inv. also today. it's strange that am getting more love from my reach schools than my match schools.

Last edited:
+1
Rejected pre-interview inv. also today. it's strange that am getting more love from my reach schools than my match schools.

+1 lol I had no business applying to Brown.

Is Feb 14 the last acceptance day of the cycle? Not counting the WL

Is Feb 14 the last acceptance day of the cycle? Not counting the WL

Yes, they told us this past Friday was the last interview day and our group will be included in the last wave of post-interview decisions next week.

Does interviewing late decrease chances of an outright acceptance?

Does interviewing late decrease chances of an outright acceptance?

I can't speak to that but I can say that getting accepted outright at Brown seems to be pretty rare no matter when you interview. As I understand it they accept and reject very few people post-interview, wait-listing the majority. After they are done interviewing they start pulling people off of the waitlist throughout the spring. The good news is that if we (late interviewees) get waitlisted and then ultimately accepted we may potentially be on the waitlist for far less time than those who interviewed at the beginning of the cycle :p

I can't speak to that but I can say that getting accepted outright at Brown seems to be pretty rare no matter when you interview. As I understand it they accept and reject very few people post-interview, wait-listing the majority. After they are done interviewing they start pulling people off of the waitlist throughout the spring. The good news is that if we (late interviewees) get waitlisted and then ultimately accepted we may potentially be on the waitlist for far less time than those who interviewed at the beginning of the cycle :p

Really? I was under the impression that chances are pretty good after an interview at Brown.

Really? I was under the impression that chances are pretty good after an interview at Brown.

When I interviewed I think they said around 25% of interviewees get accepted. I was waitlisted, and I'm pretty sure Brown is pretty waitlist heavy. However, just to get an interview there is a big deal because they don't interview a lot of people. And I imagine they take off a lot more from the waitlist than other schools.

Yes, I think this is the case. I believe that Brown accepts a huge number of people they interview, but most of them get accepted off of the waitlist.

does anyone know around when we should expect movement off the waitlist?

I hope the snow doesn't delay the post-interview decisions coming out tomorrow...

Hi guys, I wanted to get your opinion on two school choices. I've been waitlisted at both and am thinking of sending in a LOI. The idea of committing (even without the acceptance lol) to one is putting me under pressure. I would really appreciate your honest thoughts!

Brown VS. Tufts

I know both are great schools that will offer great community & education. When thinking about them in terms of ranking (MSAR), I know that Brown is a bit higher up in the rank. But, I guess the TIMES higher education ranking says otherwise: http://www.timeshighereducation.co....-ranking/subject/clinical-pre-clinical-health

So instead of relying on numbers (which I really shouldn't in the first place..), I want to think about the two schools prospectively.. Any thoughts?

First of all Tufts is one the most expensive school in the nation. The average debt is 200,000.

How will we hear tmrw? Mail or phone? Any specific time-frame?

How will we hear tmrw? Mail or phone? Any specific time-frame?

I got accepted via email (Jan. 10th) at 11:37am. They also send a letter via postal mail. Good luck!

Good luck to everybody waiting on decisions today! ... now lets see how productive I am at work today :rolleyes:

+1

EDIT: I'm guessing everyone gets the same waitlist message, right? "We evaluate your application as highly competitive...please continue to send us updates...ask if you have any questions."

Last edited:
+1

EDIT: I'm guessing everyone gets the same waitlist message, right? "We evaluate your application as highly competitive...please continue to send us updates...ask if you have any questions."

Yupp, that's what mine said.

So sad since Brown is my top choice but at least it's not a rejection, right? Do they accept a lot of people off the waitlist?

WL - probably will not pursue. Congrats to those accepted!