2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have not received secondary, OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest no one jump to any conclusions since some of us are trying to access without the status update email and the website just loads forever, before the login page. This is probably just a bunch of status updates going live, not all rejections. Keep your heads up!

EDIT: Don't refresh! See below

Last edited:
It's loading, just really slowly. Managed to finally hit the login page. If you're trying, just keep waiting. (To previous poster, you're just rolling tires in the mud if you keep refreshing)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's loading, just really slowly. Managed to finally hit the login page. If you're trying, just keep waiting. (To previous poster, you're just rolling tires in the mud if you keep refreshing)
Thanks for the update. Will just keep it open :)

Did anyone else get a status update via email about 15m ago but now cannot connect to the website? I'm OOS. Hopefully not a bad omen :(

Yups 5:33PM...having trouble with downloading the status pdf.

I also got the impossible to access "status update". I know it was posted earlier that the II came in an email with the status update subject, but when you logged in was the II in a pdf file? Because if not, it was nice knowing you UCSF. Also, their website is terrible. :thumbdown:

Yep... finally got through and it wasn't good news. No advanced application. I hope other people receive better news.

I also got the impossible to access "status update". I know it was posted earlier that the II came in an email with the status update subject, but when you logged in was the II in a pdf file? Because if not, it was nice knowing you UCSF. Also, their website is terrible. :thumbdown:

Yes I agree. It wouldn't make sense for a secondary to be in a pdf form. Slowest rejection of my life.

Sorry to hear those who got the axe today :( But If you guys don't mind, when did you guys submit your secondaries for those that guy rejected post-secondary?

Yep... finally got through and it wasn't good news. No advanced application. I hope other people receive better news.

No advanced application? Does that mean rejection or some type of hold status?

No, the II is not in a PDF. The II is apparent on secondary as printed text. It requires no PDF to be downloaded. I'm sorry.

Rejected. I thought I had a decent chance of getting an interview (although not necessarily a great chance of getting in)...

-3.7-3.8 both cGPA and sGPA, top 10 university, engineering major
-36-38 MCAT
-Summer research internships in the life sciences at Harvard, MIT, and Stanford
-NCAA D1 varsity athlete, including a top 10 national placing
-100+ hours of volunteering at a local hospital, also plenty of non-clinical service
-Gap years between undergrad and med school working in clin ops the pharmaceutical industry
-California resident (San Francisco zip code)

It was my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reeeeeejected!! Dang UCSF is amazing, good luck everyone!!

Rejected. I thought I had a decent chance of getting an interview (although not necessarily a great chance of getting in)...

-36-38 MCAT
-100+ hours of volunteering at a local hospital, also plenty of non-clinical service
-Gap years between undergrad and med school working in clin ops the pharmaceutical industry

It was my top choice.

wow, your app sounds amazing!

-36-38 MCAT

It was my top choice.

Your application is so solid! You probably know this already, but you'll be getting plenty of love from many, many schools :thumbup: UCSF has to sting a bit though..

On a related note, I just got an email from UCSF and my heart dropped 6 inches before I realized it was from their Coursera outreach department :rolleyes:

Your application is so solid! You probably know this already, but you'll be getting plenty of love from many, many schools :thumbup: UCSF has to sting a bit though..

On a related note, I just got an email from UCSF and my heart dropped 6 inches before I realized it was from their Coursera outreach department :rolleyes:

That's really funny bc it's the same thing that happened to me this morning!

Anyone know why UCSF is so selective when the MCAT and GPA averages are slightly lower than other top 10's? Do they place more attention on diversity or something like that? It seems lots of qualified CA residents get the axe, so I doubt it has much to do with in-state preference.

No secondary or rejection yet hmmm

IS application received at the end of July

Anyone know why UCSF is so selective when the MCAT and GPA averages are slightly lower than other top 10's? Do they place more attention on diversity or something like that? It seems lots of qualified CA residents get the axe, so I doubt it has much to do with in-state preference.

I was told by current UCSF students that they are placing less emphasis on the MCAT because they know its just a test and on any given day you can do much better or much worse than expected.

I think that they care more about overall app and having a class that has diverse experiences and can teach and learn from one another.

Verified 8/11, no secondary or rejection. IS, avg stats, with a pretty unique/diverse background.

UCSF and UCR are the only CA schools I've yet to receive a secondary from :((

Verified 8/11, no secondary or rejection. IS, avg stats, with a pretty unique/diverse background.

UCSF and UCR are the only CA schools I've yet to receive a secondary from :((

Same here. Out of curiosity, are you a reapplicant? I applied to both of these schools last year...I wonder if that has to do with anything. Received secondaries this cycle from all other California schools as well. 34 MCAT and 3.8+ GPA

Same here. Out of curiosity, are you a reapplicant? I applied to both of these schools last year...I wonder if that has to do with anything. Received secondaries this cycle from all other California schools as well. 34 MCAT and 3.8+ GPA

I'm a reapp and has virtually same stats as you. Got secondary from UCSF.

Nope, first time applicant

It's really random and peculiar. I was wait listed by UCSD, MN, and WI last year. MN rejected me last week and I haven't received a secondary from UCSD. I gave UCSF a shot this year and got a secondary. I didn't think this process could get more random but it's very inconsistent and doesn't make much sense. With the high quality of applicants here I think they could throw darts at a list of names and select a pretty great class.

Last edited:
It's really random and peculiar. I was wait listed by UCSD, MN, and WI last year. MN rejected me last week and I haven't received a secondary from UCSD. I gave UCSF a shot this year and got a secondary. I didn't think this process could get more random but it's very inconsistent and doesn't make much sense. With the high quality of applicants here I think they could throw darts at a list of names and select a pretty great class.

Sounds pretty accurate :laugh:

It's totally pointless trying to track the process on a timeline too. People applying later than me at several schools have gotten IIs and/or rejections already xD. Ah, the luck of the draw. I wouldn't mind if that dart would hit me a few more times :p

It's totally pointless trying to track the process on a timeline too. People applying later than me at several schools have gotten IIs and/or rejections already xD. Ah, the luck of the draw. I wouldn't mind if that dart would hit me a few more times :p

Tracking timelines makes me go insane...especially when people who have applied after me get interview invites. I need a break from SDN, obviously.

I'll give you five of my ii's for your Wisconsin interview...

I'll give you five of my ii's for your Wisconsin interview...

Yeah, I am incredible grateful about my one ii and the luck I had in receiving it, but when everything's riding on that one offer, it can make anyone antsy given the odds :laugh:

And even if others have already told you this, you're a great/solid applicant, even if wisconsin thinks their shoe won't fit your feet :p

whats the longest its taken someone to get a secondary? They got my app on aug 21st and havent heard since then at all.

Lmao, I don't think that's very long. Doesn't the email say up to twelve weeks?

-36-38 MCAT

It was my top choice.

Sorry to hear that. But as others have mentioned, you have an incredible app and I'm sure you'll get into a great school!

To anyone who has received an interview invite,

Could you check how many spots and dates are left? I would greatly appreciate this. The wait is killing me :(.

For those of you who submitted your secondary and are still waiting, what does your status page say? Does it just say "secondary submitted"? Did anyone ever get a complete email?

Absolutely cannot complain. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have accepted myself if I were UCSF. They're looking for something specific and something special and I don't think I'd be the right fit. Amazing school, though, can't say I regret trying!

Absolutely cannot complain. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have accepted myself if I were UCSF. They're looking for something specific and something special and I don't think I'd be the right fit. Amazing school, though, can't say I regret trying!

I would have accepted you. I'll always accept you skab.

Well, bless your heart! :p

Was verified today. Got the "we have received your app" and "status update" (secondary request) at the same time.

3.89/3.89

Finally rejected. Dream school but expected. Hope to see you again UCSF.

has anyone taken a long time and still gotten a secondary? or those who haven't gotten a secondary quickly have they just been rejected?

II here!! Via status update email. Complete 8/15, IS ~3.8/35.

Last edited: