2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please post the essay prompts/character limits for the secondary? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! Thank you in advance

3. Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor? If yes, please provide a description here: (500 characters)
4. Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? If yes, please provide a description here: (500 characters)
6.Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2014-2015 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2015. (750 characters)
7. What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)
8. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
9. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

I believe they're the same as last year's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
oops thanks for the correction

Members don't see this ad :)
For the last essay on specific interest for GW, did anyone talked about the Track Programs? I don't know if this program is specific for GW or does every medical schools have this "Track Program". I am really interested in Global Health Track and I want to talk about how GW offers something like this.

Reactions: 1 user
For this question
6.Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2014-2015 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2015. (750 characters)

are adcoms looking for specific dates? I ask because they mention "to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week)" so it seems like they want to know what you did every month of the 2014-2015 period

For this question

are adcoms looking for specific dates? I ask because they mention "to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week)" so it seems like they want to know what you did every month of the 2014-2015 period

I'm confused on this question. Do they ONLY want 2014-2015 or does the "2014-2015 application cycle" mean all full time jobs that contribute towards this application cycle (freshman-senior year)?

For the last essay on specific interest for GW, did anyone talked about the Track Programs? I don't know if this program is specific for GW or does every medical schools have this "Track Program". I am really interested in Global Health Track and I want to talk about how GW offers something like this.

I talked about it in mine. Not every school has it, so it's something unique.

Reactions: 2 users
Where is the best place to find information to help answer the final essay? Just the school website? I feel thats were most people would get their info from and all the essays would be similar :/

Hi all,

I'm having some concerns about Q6 ("Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities..."). The only things I will certainly be doing are returning to school part-time and continuing one of my volunteering activities. I'm searching for a lab to work in and part-time paid work, while also taking some online, not-for-credit classes (nothing that would produce a transcript).

Should I mention this in the essay, or just stick to what I know I'll be doing?

I'm confused on this question. Do they ONLY want 2014-2015 or does the "2014-2015 application cycle" mean all full time jobs that contribute towards this application cycle (freshman-senior year)?
I took it to mean now until August 2015 matriculation.

Where is the best place to find information to help answer the final essay? Just the school website? I feel thats were most people would get their info from and all the essays would be similar :/
I would suggest asking your undergrad for some emails of students that attend GW and email them asking a few basic questions about why GW is unique. I did that for some of the schools I am applying to and it helped give me more direction when researching the schools.

I would suggest asking your undergrad for some emails of students that attend GW and email them asking a few basic questions about why GW is unique. I did that for some of the schools I am applying to and it helped give me more direction when researching the schools.

Haha I'm pretty sure this works only for people who attend large schools that pump out successful students. My undergrad has had ~3-4 students go to med school in the last 5 years i would say hahaha. But if this works for you, that's awesome!!

I personally just scoured the website. I wrote about the track program and some other unique opportunities I found listed on their site.

For this question

Hi all,

I'm having some concerns about Q6 ("Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities..."). The only things I will certainly be doing are returning to school part-time and continuing one of my volunteering activities. I'm searching for a lab to work in and part-time paid work, while also taking some online, not-for-credit classes (nothing that would produce a transcript).

Should I mention this in the essay, or just stick to what I know I'll be doing?

This question is just asking you what you'll be doing for the next 9+ months. If you're in school, just say that you'll be finishing your degree in XYZ while doing ABC planned extracurriculars, or whatnot. You don't have to go into week-by-week details. It also doesn't have to be something that's a concrete plan, as long as you have reasonable cause to think it might become a big part of your schedule - my answer to this essay was just to say that I'd applied for jobs and AmeriCorps positions and was waiting to hear back, along with a description of some ECs I was continuing.

All the info you need is on the website for sure. You can look for supplementary info from other sources like GW's Medicine+Health or AAMC's Academic Medicine, but do that only if you have the time and really can't find enough on the website to fill out the prompt.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question is just asking you what you'll be doing for the next 9+ months. If you're in school, just say that you'll be finishing your degree in XYZ while doing ABC planned extracurriculars, or whatnot. You don't have to go into week-by-week details. It also doesn't have to be something that's a concrete plan, as long as you have reasonable cause to think it might become a big part of your schedule - my answer to this essay was just to say that I'd applied for jobs and AmeriCorps positions and was waiting to hear back, along with a description of some ECs I was continuing.

Thank you for the response. That's what I expected, but I wanted some reassurance that I wasn't completely mistaken.

If you don't mind me asking, do you feel that GWU is mostly stats-driven or do they seem to care more about extracurriculars?

Thank you for the response. That's what I expected, but I wanted some reassurance that I wasn't completely mistaken.

If you don't mind me asking, do you feel that GWU is mostly stats-driven or do they seem to care more about extracurriculars?
Just burnt the whole day on these prompts. Ugh

I just submitted, and my status is: We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If you have not done so, please send your letters of recommendation to AMCAS. If you have questions about letters please contact AMCAS. If we require any further documentation, we will contact you.

Is there a reason why they don't have my letter packet yet? AMCAS received it 2 weeks ago

Can someone please post the essay prompts/character limits for the secondary? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! Thank you in advance
same as last year;)

I just submitted, and my status is: We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If you have not done so, please send your letters of recommendation to AMCAS. If you have questions about letters please contact AMCAS. If we require any further documentation, we will contact you.

Is there a reason why they don't have my letter packet yet? AMCAS received it 2 weeks ago

Same, who knows.

I got the same thing and AMCAS has my letters...I'm thinking it may be a generic response they give everyone after you complete your secondary...at least i hope so

For those of you that submitted, did you notice if the character count included spaces. I am seeing that it doesn't, so just want to know if you all saw the same? After editing it down to fit, now I have some room and can put back a few sentences.
I didn't submit, but it says it does not include themn

Alas, the best I can do is speculate and try to make conclusions based on my n=1 experience. I was a min-max applicant, with a GPA on the low end of GWU's range and an MCAT on the high end of their range. It's hard to say if my GPA was overlooked because of my MCAT, overshadowed by my ECs, or something else entirely. But it would seem that GWU isn't so scrupulous about stats that they would turn away an otherwise acceptable applicant for having a low GPA (within reason) or some Ws on their transcript.

The onus of proof is on the applicant to demonstrate, in some way, that they can handle the academic rigor of medical school and not be consistently overwhelmed. Beyond that, if I had to choose one or the other, I think GWU would care more about character. Not all schools have a student-run free clinic, or an inter-professional service program, or a track program that can train students in policy, business, disaster response, urban health, and several more. Things like these hint to me that GWU wants students who have diverse enough interests outside their classroom curriculum that these opportunities will not go under-enrolled.

I read the bolded words as the operative phrase here. This message likely appears upon every secondary submission, regardless of the student's letter status, as a reminder to those who may not have their letters sent yet.

Reactions: 2 users
"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date."

Ouch. So far so good...

"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date."

Ouch. So far so good...

Haha, did you get this via email? You say ouch....You perceive this as negative? At least you got reviewed already! :)

Last edited:
Haha, did you get this via email? You say ouch....You perceive this as negative? At least you got reviewed already! :)

Well, I was actually being somewhat facetious, playing on the 'death sentence' feeling that being on hold gives. However, realistically I wouldn't expect anything else at this point; even if they loved my app I doubt the would offer me an II within the first few hours on the first possible day. (Now, if other people here start getting II's then I will go cry in the corner...)

And since I'm sure this will affect many of us, here's what I found in last years thread:

"
Not necessary true. Here are some things I noticed from reading last years thread:

- The people with "complete" status never having been put on the "hold" status received interviews first.
- GW changed people from one status to another often and multiple times.
- A lot of the people (not everyone) on "hold" status did receive interviews eventually.
"

Well, I was actually being somewhat facetious, playing on the 'death sentence' feeling that being on hold gives. However, realistically I wouldn't expect anything else at this point; even if they loved my app I doubt the would offer me an II within the first few hours on the first possible day. (Now, if other people here start getting II's then I will go cry in the corner...)

And since I'm sure this will affect many of us, here's what I found in last years thread:

"
Not necessary true. Here are some things I noticed from reading last years thread:

- The people with "complete" status never having been put on the "hold" status received interviews first.
- GW changed people from one status to another often and multiple times.
- A lot of the people (not everyone) on "hold" status did receive interviews eventually.
"

Ya, exactly my point - they must really be organized if they reviewed your application already! Did they email you about this or did you check your status on the web page?

Just submitted a little while ago! My committee hasn't submitted by letter packet to AMCAS yet, though :/ They're known for not being the best committee lol. Oh well, I'm hoping that I submitted earlier enough that it won't make a huge difference if my letters are in soon.

ugh the holds are starting already..? Last year's thread just looked unpleasant..

Ouch. So far so good...

That was a fast submission! Congrats :)
Do you mind sharing your stats??

Received secondary 6-28-2014 at like 10pm EDT haha...submitted today at 9pm but my AMCAS is still not verified...ughhhhh verification holding me back

Submitted!

But my school takes forever with letter packets so here begins the waiting game.

Just submitted a little while ago! My committee hasn't submitted by letter packet to AMCAS yet, though :/ They're known for not being the best committee lol. Oh well, I'm hoping that I submitted earlier enough that it won't make a huge difference if my letters are in soon.

Same here! I'm just waiting for committee letter to be submitted to AMCAS....

Submitted my secondary yesterday, OOS! I'm kind of surprised FAP applicants don't have to pay the $125 fee as they seem to want everyone to submit a secondary.

Ouch. So far so good...

My secondary status is this as well. I don't think they would send out II's this early so I doubt you should take any meaning to this...

how long after the initial "you are complete and we have everything necessary for review" did it change to hold?

So this school has recently been on probation for some pretty good reasons .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_University_Medical_School
Makes me doubt myself of submitting a secondary.

What convinces you guys otherwise to apply to this school?

Okie doke, so this subject came up last year and I looked into it. In short, the research I did resolved my doubts, and I ultimately chose to attend GWU over other offers of acceptance. I’ll try to replicate that info here.

So, for background, the LCME Accredation Probation was placed on GWU SMHS in 2008 and removed in early 2010. To give some context, this status isn’t quite as uncommon as the Wikipedia article purports: currently, Rosalind Franklin, the University of Louisville, and Baylor are some of the MD schools on LCME probation (the other two are in Puerto Rico and Canada). Other schools with recently-resolved probationary status include Marshall Edwards, TCMC, UT San Antonio, and SUNY Upstate. But just because other schools have incurred probationary status doesn’t mean it’s acceptable. So, it’s worth investigating why GWU SMHS was put on probation and if those issues have been resolved. The reasons behind the 2008 probationary status that I can find in the Wikipedia article or the related article in the Washington Post are:

1. An “outdated system of managing its curriculum, [and] the curriculum itself." To that point, the Revised Curriculum is starting this fall! Central themes of the revision include creating more active student involvement in learning, more integration between basic sciences and clinical training, and greater utilization of technology for education. Other US schools are making similar changes to their curriculum, including the University of Indiana, the University of Minnesota, OHSU, Harvard, and many others. These elements lead me to believe that GWU is currently keeping abreast with national trends in curriculum management without issue.

2. “High levels of student debt.” The two largest contributing factors to COA at GWU SMHS are tuition and cost of living. In all fairness, the tuition itself is expensive to anyone except perhaps the independently wealthy. That said, it's not runaway compared to the cost of medical education in the US. Actually, it's exceeded by private schools in all regions - namely Tufts, Tulane, TCMC, Geisel, AMC, Temple, WashU, Duke, Harvard, Columbia, Case Western, Boston U, USC, Georgetown, and Penn State in that order (as found in the MSAR). On the other hand, cost of living is high because Foggy Bottom is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive cities in the US (1) (2) (3). This is obviously important to take into account in your choice of school, but not really within GWU SMHS's purview. It's worth noting that DC’s neighboring MD school, Georgetown, has an average student indebtedness that exceeds GWU’s by about $20,000 per student. In addition, GWU has a lower average student indebtedness than several MD schools who were not placed on probation for this reason – including fellow private schools Georgetown, Temple, Morehouse, Creighton, Boston U, Drexel, Rush, and Tufts – suggesting that the student indebtedness incurred by graduates of these schools is no longer cause for concern to the LCME.

3. “Inadequate study and lounge space for its students.” The LCME and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. Honestly, I just don’t care how much lounge space there is. I don’t doubt that there are people who do care, I just think we have differences that I can’t address by citing sources. As for study space, I thought it was more than adequate when I visited the school: access to all four floors Himmelfarb Library is reserved for use by health sciences students exclusively, in addition to space in the actual medical school building and GW Hospital. Unless medical students need to starfish while they study, the space seemed fine to me.

4. “Conflicts of interest potentially subordinating the medical school as a teaching institution to the economic interests of Universal Health Services.” The Washington Post article states that the conflict of interest in question was private compensation received by former provost John Williams. I can’t find any sources to clarify how, and to what degree, GWU SMHS is culpable for hiring someone with that level of conflict of interest, but the issue was addressed in part by asking Williams and SMHS’s dean at the time to resign. The rest of that paragraph, which talks about “deficient-implementation [sic] of new ACGME medical resident work hours rules,” seems to be a non sequitur. The 2009 NEJM article cited in Wikipedia mentions no specific medical schools or hospitals, and, so far as I can tell, doesn’t really have much to do with GWU or LCME accredation at all. Rather, it talks in general about the negative effects of overworking medical residents. I’m really not sure how the contributor to the Wikipedia article made an association between this research and GWU.

As for the "other, much more serious, problems" that the Wikipedia article editorializes, I can't find any logic behind suggesting that these elements were linked to action by the LCME. Actually, the issues are both misleading and outdated at best:

“With respect to putative LCME allegations of trainee abuse, the District of Columbia Department of Human Rights [sic] subsequently ruled that a medical student was unfairly expelled in direct retaliation for lodging an internal complaint about a GW faculty member. This civil case is still pending…” First of all, the citation for this point leads to another Wikipedia article, and further hilarity ensues when we realize that the linked Wikipedia article contains no evidence or information on the subject at all. Second, this civil case is not still pending. An order on the case in question was made two and a half years ago. For context, the subject of the case was a claim made by a dismissed medical student (Hajjar-Nejad) who said that his dismissal violated the contract between him and GWU SMHS outlined in the Offer of Acceptance. (It sounds like he was really just kind of a d-bag.) Any claim of irresponsibility or violations by GWU SMHS was denied by the court, citing among other things that “the precise legal theories upon which Hajjar-Nejad intended to rely are not clear.” Another memorandum opinion says that, "accordingly, this action is DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE in its entirety."

The second "more serious problem" the Wikipedia article mentions is "another case claiming illegal billing of medicare [sic] for work done by residents and nurse anesthesists.” This case is also not pending. It was concluded about six and a half years ago. Basically, the court said that the CRNAs making claims against GW Hospital “failed in many instances to provide the Court with the essential link between their arguments and the evidence in the record that would support their arguments. Too frequently the Relators [the CRNAs] make bald assertions or generalized arguments without directing the Court to the part of the record that would suport their assertions or arguments.” Also, if, for funsies, we were to find that this billing by GW Hospital was in fact incorrect, I'm left to wonder what this has to do with the undergraduate medical program or LCME. Fraudulent billing at Brigham and Women's wouldn't mean that HMS sucked, yeah?

TL;DR: Wikipedia is a nice jumping-off point, but don't make important decisions based on its information alone. This Wikipedia article seems to suck in particular.

TL;DR #2: Resolution of the 2008 LCME Probationary Status was good enough for me yo!!!1!1!

I know this is probably riddled with typos, so I'll try to reread later and fix that. Anyhow, hope this helps :3

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Okie doke, so this subject came up last year and I looked into it. In short, the research I did resolved my doubts, and I ultimately chose to attend GWU over other offers of acceptance. I’ll try to replicate that info here.

So, for background, the LCME Accredation Probation was placed on GWU SMHS in 2008 and removed in early 2010. To give some context, this status isn’t quite as uncommon as the Wikipedia article purports: currently, Rosalind Franklin, the University of Louisville, and Baylor are some of the MD schools on LCME probation (the other two are in Puerto Rico and Canada). Other schools with recently-resolved probationary status include Marshall Edwards, TCMC, UT San Antonio, and SUNY Upstate. But just because other schools have incurred probationary status doesn’t mean it’s acceptable. So, it’s worth investigating why GWU SMHS was put on probation and if those issues have been resolved. The reasons behind the 2008 probationary status that I can find in the Wikipedia article or the related article in the Washington Post are:

1. An “outdated system of managing its curriculum, [and] the curriculum itself." To that point, the Revised Curriculum is starting this fall! Central themes of the revision include creating more active student involvement in learning, more integration between basic sciences and clinical training, and greater utilization of technology for education. Other US schools are making similar changes to their curriculum, including the University of Indiana, the University of Minnesota, OHSU, Harvard, and many others. These elements lead me to believe that GWU is currently keeping abreast with national trends in curriculum management without issue.

2. “High levels of student debt.” The two largest contributing factors to COA at GWU SMHS are tuition and cost of living. In all fairness, the tuition itself is expensive to anyone except perhaps the independently wealthy. That said, it's not runaway compared to the cost of medical education in the US. Actually, it's exceeded by private schools in all regions - namely Tufts, Tulane, TCMC, Geisel, AMC, Temple, WashU, Duke, Harvard, Columbia, Case Western, Boston U, USC, Georgetown, and Penn State in that order (as found in the MSAR). On the other hand, cost of living is high because Foggy Bottom is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive cities in the US (1) (2) (3). This is obviously important to take into account in your choice of school, but not really within GWU SMHS's purview. It's worth noting that DC’s neighboring MD school, Georgetown, has an average student indebtedness that exceeds GWU’s by about $20,000 per student. In addition, GWU has a lower average student indebtedness than several MD schools who were not placed on probation for this reason – including fellow private schools Georgetown, Temple, Morehouse, Creighton, Boston U, Drexel, Rush, and Tufts – suggesting that the student indebtedness incurred by graduates of these schools is not longer cause for concern to the LCME.

3. “Inadequate study and lounge space for its students.” The LCME and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. Honestly, I just don’t care how much lounge space there is. I don’t doubt that there are people who do care, I just think we have differences that I can’t address by citing sources. As for study space, I thought it was more than adequate when I visited the school: access to all four floors Himmelfarb Library is reserved for use by health sciences students exclusively, in addition to space in the actual medical school building and GW Hospital. Unless medical students need to starfish while they study, the space seemed fine to me.

4. “Conflicts of interest potentially subordinating the medical school as a teaching institution to the economic interests of Universal Health Services.” The Washington Post article states that the conflict of interest in question was private compensation received by former provost John Williams. I can’t find any sources to clarify how, and to what degree, GWU SMHS is culpable for hiring someone with that level of conflict of interest, but the issue was addressed in part by asking Williams and SMHS’s dean at the time to resign. The rest of that paragraph, which talks about “deficient-implementation [sic] of new ACGME medical resident work hours rules,” seems to be a non sequitur. The 2009 NEJM article cited in Wikipedia mentions no specific medical schools or hospitals, and, so far as I can tell, doesn’t really have much to do with GWU or LCME accredation at all. Rather, it talks in general about the negative effects of overworking medical residents. I’m really not sure how the contributor to the Wikipedia article made an association between this research and GWU.

As for the "other, much more serious, problems" that the Wikipedia article editorializes, I can't find any logic behind suggesting that these elements were linked to action by the LCME. Actually, the issues are both misleading and outdated at best:

“With respect to putative LCME allegations of trainee abuse, the District of Columbia Department of Human Rights [sic] subsequently ruled that a medical student was unfairly expelled in direct retaliation for lodging an internal complaint about a GW faculty member. This civil case is still pending…” First of all, the citation for this point leads to another Wikipedia article, and further hilarity ensues when we realize that the linked Wikipedia article contains no evidence or information on the subject at all. Second, this civil case is not still pending. An order on the case in question was made two and a half years ago. Any claim of irresponsibility or violations by GWU SMHS was denied by the court, citing among other things that “the precise legal theories upon which Hajjar-Nejad intended to rely are not clear.” Another memorandum opionion says that, "accordingly, this action is DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE in its entirety." For context, the specific case refers to a claim made by a dismissed medical student (Hajjar-Nejad) who said that his dismissal violated the contract between him and GWU SMHS outlined in the Offer of Acceptance. It sounds like he was really just kind of a d-bag.

The second "more serious problem" the Wikipedia article mentions is "another case claiming illegal billing of medicare [sic] for work done by residents and nurse anesthesists.” This case is also not pending. It was concluded about six and a half years ago. Basically, the court said that the CRNAs making claims against GW Hospital “failed in many instances to provide the Court with the essential link between their arguments and the evidence in the record that would support their arguments. Too frequently the Relators [the CRNAs] make bald assertions or generalized arguments without directing the Court to the part of the record that would suport their assertions or arguments.” Also, if, for funsies, we were to find that this billing by GW Hospital was in fact incorrect, I'm left to wonder what this has to do with the undergraduate medical program or LCME. Fraudulent billing at Brigham and Women's wouldn't mean that HMS sucked, yeah?

TL;DR: Wikipedia is a nice jumping-off point, but don't make important decisions based on its information alone. This particular Wikipedia article seems to suck in particular.

TL;DR #2: Resolution of the 2008 LCME Probationary Status was good enough for me yo!!!1!1!

I know this is probably riddled with typos, so I'll try to reread later and fix that. Anyhow, hope this helps :3
Thank you for that extremely well thought out and eloquent response. Your dedication to this school shows through this post.

How do you like the area? And what have you done to work around the high cost of living?

General sentiments about your experience in the school thus far?

does it matter much to submit secondary early when you aren't yet verified?
or is there any benefit for submitting when your recs haven't arrived?

Last edited: