2014-2015 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi everyone, I am new here but was hoping to gain some insight on the post interview communications. I interviewed in December and I know all acceptances are mailed but I was just curious what I might see in an acceptance packet (or letter), do they also mail rejection letters too? I wasn't sure if people have received rejections post interview, and if so was it also snail mailed or was it through an email? These last 4 weeks seem like forever and I know I still have most likely another month to wait.
Thanks for any feedback!
I was put on hold post-interview and it was via e-mail so my guess would be that rejections are via e-mail as well.
 
So I too was put in the "hold" column pre-interview today. Does anyone actually know what that means? I have a hard time imagining they haven't reviewed most applicants by now and it would appear there is a lot they have interviewed and not gotten back with yet. This is really frustrating and I don't know what to make of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I too was put in the "hold" column pre-interview today. Does anyone actually know what that means? I have a hard time imagining they haven't reviewed most applicants by now and it would appear there is a lot they have interviewed and not gotten back with yet. This is really frustrating and I don't know what to make of it.
When were you complete? I'm sure that the pre-interview hold moves !!
 
I need some honest advice: II this morning but I'm not sure I want to attend. I have one other acceptance that I am fairly happy with but I'm also intrigued by PSU. Anybody have any insight into how many acceptances have already been given out?
 
I need some honest advice: II this morning but I'm not sure I want to attend. I have one other acceptance that I am fairly happy with but I'm also intrigued by PSU. Anybody have any insight into how many acceptances have already been given out?
Depends on where you have an acceptance to, probably. If you're only "fairly happy", I think it is worth the interview if you are able to afford it. If not, relax and enjoy the rest of the year and summer.
 
Does anyone know what type of grades they expect on your current/future coursework after you get accepted? Is it fine as long as you pass?
 
Does anyone know what type of grades they expect on your current/future coursework after you get accepted? Is it fine as long as you pass?

I am fairly certain A's and B's are okay.

Try not to get any C's or below.
 
No. If you plan to drive around...rent a car. Taxis are pretty expensive.
how expensive? I need to get from the amtrak station to the college of medicine (~13 miles). I'm not able to book a rental car online (not 25 yet), and it will be an extra $27 charge if I do manage to get a rental car.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how expensive? I need to get from the amtrak station to the college of medicine (~13 miles). I'm not able to book a rental car online (not 25 yet), and it will be an extra $27 charge if I do manage to get a rental car.
Usually if you say that you are a medical student/going to a medical school interview they waive the under 25 fee. You can definitely book a rental car online, you just pay at the kiosk.
 
I'm just wondering if at this point they are waiting to mail all their rejections together. Dark thought I know but I guess I will hold out for any news.
 
Interviewed 10/27/14, accepted oos 12/24/14; like they say during the interview, it can take 8-10 weeks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got accepted today! If anyone saw my last post keep up hope. I interviewed in October and just got the packet in the mail this morning. I could not be happier! I loved this school and the children's hospital when I came to visit. If any of you have been waiting a while to hear back the wait is worth it.
 
Got accepted today! If anyone saw my last post keep up hope. I interviewed in October and just got the packet in the mail this morning. I could not be happier! I loved this school and the children's hospital when I came to visit. If any of you have been waiting a while to hear back the wait is worth it.

Congratulations!!
 
🙁 Just got the hold email post-interview...really bummed. Anyone know of the chances of getting off the waitlist?
 
🙁 Just got the hold email post-interview...really bummed. Anyone know of the chances of getting off the waitlist?

Totally depends on your placement on the list. If you are in the "high hold" catagory your chances are much better than if you are in the "low hold" category. No real way for you to find out though. Good luck and don't lose hope. Anything is possible until July.
 
Totally depends on your placement on the list. If you are in the "high hold" catagory your chances are much better than if you are in the "low hold" category. No real way for you to find out though. Good luck and don't lose hope. Anything is possible until July.

To bad Penn State doesn't reveal anything about their wait list..that and there isn't ever any movement until late May and June. Kinda puts a damper on plans...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really hope everything works out for you. It's not over yet!

When did you interview?


Thank you...this whole process is just brutal. I am very grateful for a hold and not a rejection, but it is disheartening to know I will be in limbo for several more months. The wait is killer!

I interviewed late November. Best of luck to you too!