2014-2015 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Annnnnnnd there it is. Rejected via email

FYI: It doesn't change your actual status in the portal (so far) but the rejection is reflected in the communication status section.

That's super useful to know, thanks Peds! :) Sorry about the rejection - wishing you the best as this cycle comes to a close!

Reactions: 1 user
So sorry about all the rejections, guys! I interviewed there today and they told us something like 150 hours community service is an absolute minimum and most interviewed applicants have an average of 600 hours (both clinical and nonmedical). Rush is extremely service-oriented, and each completed app is screened by a person, not a computer. So they most likely also screen for people who not only had a lot of hours for service but also genuinely meaningful service and volunteering experiences. Good luck with the rest of this cycle, y'all!

So sorry about all the rejections, guys! I interviewed there today and they told us something like 150 hours community service is an absolute minimum and most interviewed applicants have an average of 600 hours (both clinical and nonmedical). Rush is extremely service-oriented, and each completed app is screened by a person, not a computer. So they most likely also screen for people who not only had a lot of hours for service but also genuinely meaningful service and volunteering experiences. Good luck with the rest of this cycle, y'all!
How many interview days left, do you know?

How many interview days left, do you know?
They said next week is the last. So I guess no one signed up for March dates and they didn't need to use them. Sorry guys. We can't win 'em all. But I know most of you have had better success at other mutual applied schools than me, so be proud of that.

Hey guys. For those still interviewing next week and those waiting around on the wait list i thought I would throw out some numbers they gave us yesterday at the interview. There were around 10,000 applications of which just shy of 7,000 were completed. From there they sent interview invites to around 450 people. They are expecting to send out in total around 250-260 acceptances. Matriculation will be around 120-130. I know there was some confusion as to how many acceptances were handed out and not just matriculation or at the very least I was having a hard time find that info. Another thing to reiterate is that there are still open spots! Next weeks applicants are not interviewing for a wait list spot. The admissions lady was pretty appalled by schools that hold to that practice. Good luck to everyone and sorry to hear about the round of rejections last week. You all sound like amazing people! Just remember that rush seems to be uber picky and places a lot of stress on community service and volunteer work.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. For those still interviewing next week and those waiting around on the wait list i thought I would throw out some numbers they gave us yesterday at the interview. There were around 10,000 applications of which just shy of 7,000 were completed. From there they sent interview invites to around 450 people. They are expecting to send out in total around 250-260 acceptances. Matriculation will be around 120-130. I know there was some confusion as to how many acceptances were handed out and not just matriculation or at the very least I was having a hard time find that info. Another thing to reiterate is that there are still open spots! Next weeks applicants are not interviewing for a wait list spot. The admissions lady was pretty appalled by schools that hold to that practice. Good luck to everyone and sorry to hear about the round of rejections last week. You all sound like amazing people! Just remember that rush seems to be uber picky and places a lot of stress on community service and volunteer work.
The admissions speaker at your interview date didn't happen to mention how many acceptances were given out so far did she? Thanks!

Hi friends!

I'm a current M1 here at Rush - congrats to all those who have been accepted, and best of luck to all those who are currently in the process of applications!

There's been some queries about a Class of 2019 Facebook group - I'm happy to announce that it is now up and running. You can search for it @ Rush Medical College Class of 2019. Please only request if you've been admitted to Rush - and also, in order for us to verify your status, you will also need to email [email protected] just a quick note saying that you've requested to be a part of the group, and they'll let me add you in after that.

If, for any reason, your FB name does not correspond with the name that's "officially" @ Rush - send me a private message and we'll work it out.

Other than that - if there's any questions I can answer that are not admissions related - I'm an open book! Feel free to ask anything on your mind as you all make your final decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends!

I'm a current M1 here at Rush - congrats to all those who have been accepted, and best of luck to all those who are currently in the process of applications!

There's been some queries about a Class of 2019 Facebook group - I'm happy to announce that it is now up and running. You can search for it @ Rush Medical College Class of 2019. Please only request if you've been admitted to Rush - and also, in order for us to verify your status, you will also need to email [email protected] just a quick note saying that you've requested to be a part of the group, and they'll let me add you in after that.

If, for any reason, your FB name does not correspond with the name that's "officially" @ Rush - send me a private message and we'll work it out.

Other than that - if there's any questions I can answer that are not admissions related - I'm an open book! Feel free to ask anything on your mind as you all make your final decisions.

woo finally so excited! I can't find the group though... if I email [email protected] would they be able to send me the link? Also would it be better to email them from my rush email?

I wonder how they determine who will come.

For the record Rush, I will come if given an II.

71 LizzyM, OOS.

Their 2014-2015 class profile gives a rough average LizzyM of 66.7. They get so many applicants, they probably only send IIs to people who are close to that.

FWIW, I probably would have declined the II.

I'm interviewing on February 18th. It is the last day for interview and it looks like I am interviewing for a waitlist spot. I guess it is better than nothing.

Hey Peterpan, I just wanted to let you and everyone else know that Rush does not interview for wait list spots. It's rolling admissions, so if you've interviewed (even on the last day, which was in fact today), you have just as much of a shot getting accepted as anyone else who interviewed on any other day. Good luck to you and hope your interviews went well and you enjoyed your time at Rush!

Accepted today!!! The e-mail does not mention at all a deadline for accepting my seat in the class. Does anyone know what that date is?

Accepted today!!! The e-mail does not mention at all a deadline for accepting my seat in the class. Does anyone know what that date is?

I think you have like a week or two. I'd check the portal for your acceptance offer. Congrats btw!

Rejected pre-II about an hour ago :( Very disappointed. Good luck to everyone else though :)

Last edited:

Congratulations!!!! AWESOME JOB!

They told us on the 11th that they would take about 2 1/2 weeks to hand out some decisions for our group so it looks like they are staying pretty true to that by the sound of it for your decision. I'm gonna be a complete wreck through the next week of waiting. Regardless, so happy for you!

They told us on the 11th that they would take about 2 1/2 weeks to hand out some decisions for our group so it looks like they are staying pretty true to that by the sound of it for your decision. I'm gonna be a complete wreck through the next week of waiting. Regardless, so happy for you!
No more of a wreck than I will be lol.

Rejected pre interview. Pretty sure this week was the last week for interviews anyway, right?

Yup they were right on mark with the 2.5 weeks. But Rush sends out all of their decisions on Fridays so don't make yourself crazy checking your email any other day!!!

Mrs. Volk wasn't kidding when she said that Dr. Schaider talked really fast. The 10 minutes interviews were really meant for him.

Rejected today. Completed in August. Looks like they are done with interviews. Email said:

"Thank you for your interest in Rush Medical College! We have recently concluded our interview season and regret that we will not be able to offer you an interview for the 2015 application cycle. We received over 10,600 AMCAS applications this year, and the academic credentials of this year’s applicants—along with their array of volunteering/community service, healthcare experience, and involvement in diverse activities—were very impressive..."

Rejected today. Completed in August. Looks like they are done with interviews. Email said:

"Thank you for your interest in Rush Medical College! We have recently concluded our interview season and regret that we will not be able to offer you an interview for the 2015 application cycle. We received over 10,600 AMCAS applications this year, and the academic credentials of this year’s applicants—along with their array of volunteering/community service, healthcare experience, and involvement in diverse activities—were very impressive..."

greattttt. looks like my inevitable rejection is on the way

+1, ahh well, I guess Rush and I were not meant to be.

Yup they were right on mark with the 2.5 weeks. But Rush sends out all of their decisions on Fridays so don't make yourself crazy checking your email any other day!!!

Yeah I'm expecting Friday to be the day. For now I've managed to get a really bad cold so instead of trying to keep myself busy at work I'm waking up coughing every hour. Hmmm now to bing on TED talks or to bing on medtube.net. Decisions decisions.

Did anyone else receive an II e-mail from RMC followed by a rejection a few minutes later? I am really confused.

Rejected post-interview 30 min ago by email. Oh well, still have an acceptance somewhere else lol. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wait-listed today. Just tell me if you love me or not Rush!!

Hey does anyone know if you need to send in your financial aid info to rush before the early March deadline even if you have not been accepted yet?

Hey does anyone know if you need to send in your financial aid info to rush before the early March deadline even if you have not been accepted yet?
Yes, I emailed their financial aid office about this a few weeks ago after my interview and they said to still send in the FAFSA and institutional e-form.

Just got the second look email. There was talk about it before, but any SDNers still planning on attending? I know some people were on the wall about spending the money if waitlisted. Since I would drive instead of fly I decided it was worth it for me personally.

Just got the second look email. There was talk about it before, but any SDNers still planning on attending? I know some people were on the wall about spending the money if waitlisted. Since I would drive instead of fly I decided it was worth it for me personally.

when is the second look day?

April 10th. I got an email around 3:00pm about it. They will be sending more details later but the email links to where you need to register for it. Its really just to get a head count I think and make name badges as far as the registering thing goes.

Got my finanncial aid offer by checking my Rush email and portal...all I can say is ouch.

Got my finanncial aid offer by checking my Rush email and portal...all I can say is ouch.
Sorry to hear that :/ I'm not expecting much help either.

How do you check your rush portal and email? I accepted my offer on 2/23 but have not received any further information.

Sorry to hear that :/ I'm not expecting much help either.

How do you check your rush portal and email? I accepted my offer on 2/23 but have not received any further information.

I believe you will receive a document in the mail that gives you your login info and instructions a couple weeks after your acceptance email.

When did you submit your materials?

I submitted my materials really early (like last week of Jan-early Feb) because I was heading out of the country.

Was waitlisted today. Did anyone get accepted?

Anyone willing to share the amounts of their scholarships they got in their Rush financial aid package?

I recently submitted, does that decrease my chances for scholarships?

I read there were very little movement last year in the waitlist and no movement at all from two years ago. Does anyone know what it will be like this year?