You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Texas Tech University - El Paso Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II received yesterday!
Do you mind sharing your stats and when you secondary was completed?II received yesterday!
3.7/ 31 IS. Secondary completed 6/24
Has anyone who interviewed like to share some insight? or maybe an MS1?
the email I received with details about the interview did not mention one? It just said to be at the school at 8:15, so I would assume there isn't oneAre they holding a Meet and Greet event the nights before the interview dates? I heard they did that in previous years, but have not heard anything yet for this year.
Are they holding a Meet and Greet event the nights before the interview dates? I heard they did that in previous years, but have not heard anything yet for this year.
I interviewed on august 7th and there was no meet and greet! I had a great experience though!
Hey y'all! Sending in my secondary to this school tonight or tomorrow - wanted some insight from any current medical students if possible. I know that there's a heavy emphasis on border health, but in what way? Are there specific classes geared toward public health instruction during the first two years? Apart from geography, how does the school address the needs of the Hispanic population?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current MS1 here, let me know if you have any questions. I will try my best to answer them.
I received a question about the interview. Based on my experience, here's what I have to say:
Chill. My interview here was by far the most relaxed. Most of the people I talked to on interview day did not receive any ethical questions. It was more of a "getting to know you as a person" type interview, and I got to go more in detail about stuff on my app. For this and your other interviews, it would be wise wise to brush up on the Affordable Care Act and to have an opinion of what you think about it regardless of where you stand. If you have done research, they might ask you about it, but they will not quiz you about minute details. They might ask you what you are interested in going into after medical school. If you haven't decided, be honest about it. If you have time, ask around about El Paso (safest city in the US for a population of over 500,000, people are very polite around here, etc), drive around, have dinner at a Mexican restaurant, etc as they are likely to ask you what you think of the place.
Hope this helps.
Chill. My interview here was by far the most relaxed. Most of the people I talked to on interview day did not receive any ethical questions. It was more of a "getting to know you as a person" type interview, and I got to go more in detail about stuff on my app. For this and your other interviews, it would be wise wise to brush up on the Affordable Care Act and to have an opinion of what you think about it regardless of where you stand. If you have done research, they might ask you about it, but they will not quiz you about minute details. They might ask you what you are interested in going into after medical school. If you haven't decided, be honest about it. If you have time, ask around about El Paso (safest city in the US for a population of over 500,000, people are very polite around here, etc), drive around, have dinner at a Mexican restaurant, etc as they are likely to ask you what you think of the place.
Hope this helps.
So I interviewed last week, and I completely forgot to send a thank you e-mail right after to my interviewers. It was my first med school interview, and it was a rookie mistake! Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send thank you emails one week after my interview date?
So I interviewed last week, and I completely forgot to send a thank you e-mail right after to my interviewers. It was my first med school interview, and it was a rookie mistake! Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send thank you emails one week after my interview date?
The admissions committee meets immediately after the interviews (on the evening of interview day) and makes acceptance decisions, so your interviewers probably won't see thank you emails until after decisions have been made. However, I believe thank you cards/emails are always good gestures and reflect well on you as an individual, especially in fields of high professionalism like medicine, even if you are a bit late to send them.
Last edited:
II today. Complete on 7/15. IS 31 cGPA 4.0 ICU RN.
Congrats! I remember you from some other Texas threads. Which II's do you have so far?
The admissions committee meets immediately after the interviews (on the evening of interview day) and makes acceptance decisions, so your interviewers probably won't see thank you emails until after decisions have been made. However, I believe thank you cards/emails are always good gestures and reflect well on you as an individual, especially in fields of high professionalism like medicine, even if you are a bit late to send them.
Thanks for the advice! Sent the letters today. Do you know how soon after our interview we can hear a decision? An MS1 on my tour said that hypothetically we can be offered an acceptance next day. Any merit to that?
Thanks for the advice! Sent the letters today. Do you know how soon after our interview we can hear a decision? An MS1 on my tour said that hypothetically we can be offered an acceptance next day. Any merit to that?
That is only true for those who interview during the pre-match period. Since the pre-match period for TX residents is Nov 15-Dec 31, the earliest that Texas residents will hear back will be Nov 15. Non-residents may hear back earlier (Oct 15).
Last edited:
thanks, only A&M, Galveston, & now El Paso. Hopefully more will come in over the next month or so. What about you?Congrats! I remember you from some other Texas threads. Which II's do you have so far?
Your stas ifyou don't mind sharing... and when you were transmitted?Congrats on all your interviews! I've got A&M, El Paso, Baylor and an out of state school. Hoping for some southwestern and Houston love in the coming months 🙂 but get excited about your el paso interview because it is an AWESOME school!
3.7/33/IS/Transmited late july. No II yet. Anyone is same boat??
Transmitted early June. No II yet.
cau u share your stat? thxTransmitted early June. No II yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cau u share your stat? thx
PM me if you would like to know!
Best of luck to both of us and everyone else! Hoping for a wave of II's this week from this school. Would love to interview here!
Are they just handing out interviews at random intervals?
Are they just handing out interviews at random intervals?
Honestly it feels like it if no one else is joining me? I poured my heart into this secondaries, it was literally the only school that I really connected to "essay-wise" so I was a little hurt that they were one of the last TX schools to offer me an II.
Honestly it feels like it if no one else is joining me? I poured my heart into this secondaries, it was literally the only school that I really connected to "essay-wise" so I was a little hurt that they were one of the last TX schools to offer me an II.
You know schools aren't done handing out II's, right?
You know schools aren't done handing out II's, right?
First that was a little rude, but it's a striking difference when 5 other TX schools invited me weeks ago. I was trying to agree that it does seem they are reviewing apps at random intervals. Seems to be very little rhyme or reason to this process, and I agree with that. Calm that Dallas attitude.
First that was a little rude, but it's a striking difference when 5 other TX schools invited me weeks ago. I was trying to agree that it does seem they are reviewing apps at random intervals. Seems to be very little rhyme or reason to this process, and I agree with that. Calm that Dallas attitude.
I think you read way too much into what I said. Didn't mean to offend. Good luck!
First that was a little rude, but it's a striking difference when 5 other TX schools invited me weeks ago. I was trying to agree that it does seem they are reviewing apps at random intervals. Seems to be very little rhyme or reason to this process, and I agree with that. Calm that Dallas attitude.
I would give an arm and a leg to have 5 tx interviews. Congrats man!Honestly it feels like it if no one else is joining me? I poured my heart into this secondaries, it was literally the only school that I really connected to "essay-wise" so I was a little hurt that they were one of the last TX schools to offer me an II.
I would do it for one interview right now...I would give an arm and a leg to have 5 tx interviews. Congrats man!
I would do it for one interview right now...
^ STORY OF MY LIFE
Got an II today! Very excited!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you two! I have my fingers crossed for an II!
Is anyone interviewing Oct 8th? It only gave me two options. Oct 8th and that next Thursday. Did anyone have more options?
For those of you who have interviewed (or are planning to), is there a good/convenient hotel that you used? I know many of them have free shuttles to/from airport, but do any hotels have shuttles to/from the school?
For those of you who have interviewed (or are planning to), is there a good/convenient hotel that you used? I know many of them have free shuttles to/from airport, but do any hotels have shuttles to/from the school?
I would love to know this as well! Do they have uber in El Paso?
