You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Texas Tech University - El Paso Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anymore people receive or not receive a letter (via snail mail) after they interviewed?
I know some schools like utsa email everyone! I'm just curious and this wait is wayyyy to long hahah
I review one a few weeks ago as well.
Congratulations! When were you complete?I was given an II on Friday, the available dates I was able to choose from were October 30th & November 6th
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No noise from this school in over 4 months. Pretty sure I'm rejected at this point.
What are your stats, Earl?No noise from this school in over 4 months. Pretty sure I'm rejected at this point.
What are your stats, Earl?
Higher than this school's medians, but I don't think stats matter much for the Tech schools. It seems to be more about fit from what I gather.
+1Anyone know this schools average step 1 score?
Congratulations! When were you complete?
I submitted my secondary and was complete on 10/1. I was very surprised to hear back so soon.
I can't believe no one got accepted here yesterday!
Let the countdown to nov 15th proceed........
Let the countdown to nov 15th proceed........
We have a grand total of 1 OOS student in our class. I wouldn't be surprised if the OOS acceptance rate is low this year as well.
I don't know what the average Step I score was this year, will try to find out.
I don't know what the average Step I score was this year, will try to find out.
For anyone who got an II recently, where is El Paso filled until on their calendar?
I just received my oos acceptance today, so there will be at least one of us in the next matriculating class!
what day did you interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what day did you interview?
CONGRATULATIONS! I loved Foster and I'm glad you're planning on attending! I'm hoping for news from here in November.
Congrats! I'm OOS and hope I hear back soon.I just received my oos acceptance today, so there will be at least one of us in the next matriculating class!
I interviewed on September 25th.what day did you interview?
Anybody still waiting for this school to show up on their TMDSAS ranking page? For some reason both Texas Tech schools seem to take awhile. I don't think it matters, but for some reason I'd like to see it before pre-match day haha
Anybody still waiting for this school to show up on their TMDSAS ranking page? For some reason both Texas Tech schools seem to take awhile. I don't think it matters, but for some reason I'd like to see it before pre-match day haha
Yeah I just checked mine and it's not on there. I interviewed in August so that's kind of odd...
You should be really proud of that. El Paso is notoriously tough to get into OOS. Congrats!Received an acceptance offer yesterday! OOS
Thank you! That's what I hear - I feel pretty lucky! I loved the school when I interviewed there, so I'm really happy about it.You should be really proud of that. El Paso is notoriously tough to get into OOS. Congrats!
Received an acceptance offer yesterday! OOS
Congrats! when did you interview?
Thanks! I interviewed on 10/8Congrats! when did you interview?
Thanks! I interviewed on 10/8
What a turnaround, congrats!
Was anyone else really impressed by this school? I feel like if was closer to home, it would definitely be a top 3 school for me.
I find it very telling that they are able to take in a student body that has scored below the national average on the MCAT and get them to score above the national average for Step 1.
I was really impressed as well. I liked their approach and the faculty was so friendly. The closeness to home is the only thing that has me pause too--although one of their twenty scholarships might be able to soften the sting. Match lists are going to be very difficult.
Do you know if their scholarship is $15,000 per year or $15,000 total?
I interpreted it as $15,000 per year. And they said they give out 20--so those are pretty good odds! Some of the scholarships might be lower though?
Accepted today!!! So excited! OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Average step 1 score for the 2013-2014 on cycle is 235
Did any OOS applicants who were accepted get any scholarship offers? Also how do we write the letter of acceptance? And that doesn't mean we are for sure going there right? It just means we are still considering it?
Did any OOS applicants who were accepted get any scholarship offers? Also how do we write the letter of acceptance? And that doesn't mean we are for sure going there right? It just means we are still considering it?
You go to your login where you filled out the secondary and view the offer tab.
I think that you need to accept the offer, you only have two weeks to decide. If you ultimately go elsewhere you might lose your deposit, but I wouldn't decline unless you've had offers from other schools that you prefer more.
In addition to what altius23 said, they send a letter in the mail with a form to sign and return via either snail mail or a scanned document in an email. The letter makes it explicit that our acceptance doesn't jeopardize our offers from other schools. I also got a letter about a scholarship, but I think it's a scholarship they give to every OOS. It's $1000 and a reduction to the in-state tuition rate, which is awesome! That letter came about five days after my acceptance email.Did any OOS applicants who were accepted get any scholarship offers? Also how do we write the letter of acceptance? And that doesn't mean we are for sure going there right? It just means we are still considering it?
That is awesome. When did you interview?Just got an acceptance email. Super excited!
I
I interviewed on September 4th.That is awesome. When did you interview?
Do you know if their scholarship is $15,000 per year or $15,000 total?
I interpreted it as $15,000 per year. And they said they give out 20--so those are pretty good odds! Some of the scholarships might be lower though?
When we interviewed last year, there were ten of the $15,000 and multiple lower amount scholarships. The $15,000 scholarship is indeed $15,000 per year.
As someone else mentioned in the thread, if an OOS student receives a $1000 scholarship at a Texas institution, he/she automatically qualifies for in-state tuition.
Was anyone else really impressed by this school? I feel like if was closer to home, it would definitely be a top 3 school for me.
I find it very telling that they are able to take in a student body that has scored below the national average on the MCAT and get them to score above the national average for Step 1.
Indeed. Also, this school rejects many applicants with higher stats every year in favor of applicants who better fit the school's mission (i.e. serving the El Paso and west Texas border population). This is why even though the applicant pool has become increasingly competitive each year, the MCAT average of our student body has actually declined.
So I submitted their Secondary in September 3rd week - what are my chances for getting an interview?
Does anyone know if they're receptive of update letters pre II?
How will we find out if we get pre-match offer? snail mail or email?
Email!
And let's just say I got the push-notification and I had a mini heart attack hahah
And let's just say I got the push-notification and I had a mini heart attack hahah
Email!
And let's just say I got the push-notification and I had a mini heart attack hahah
Did you just get an acceptance here?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish.....Did you just get an acceptance here?
But last year they did email and every other school did email, so I assumed they would just follow suit.
Rumor has it that last year it was around 3pm (time zone unknown)
Anybody pre match here?
Womp......womp....womp
Here's to waiting till Monday
Here's to waiting till Monday
I thought I would pre match here, ugh, still awaiting