2014-2015 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could any current students elaborate on how they like the LIC. I've heard the internal medicine rotation is outpatient. Is that true? Another graduate of TCMC I spoke to said they had to do extra coordinating to patients pre and post op because of the structure of the LIC. Could someone elaborate on this? Thanks!
 
Got an email this morning. Just a "hey if we accept you we may consider you for one of two 40k scholarships."
Would be nice 🙄
October interview fyi
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol I'm no expert here, but that sounds extremely promising.

I was paraphrasing, it was a bit more general than that. I think it was a general message to local applicants.
Admissions offices are so weird. I gave up trying to guess what goes on behind closed doors a few months ago. :poke:
 
I was paraphrasing, it was a bit more general than that. I think it was a general message to local applicants.
Admissions offices are so weird. I gave up trying to guess what goes on behind closed doors a few months ago. :poke:
I guess I didn't get it cause I was deferred. Lol I'm a local applicant too!
 
When (date) in October did you interview?

On my old account from 4 years ago I was found out by a few people. I lurked for quite a while and finally made a new account yesterday.

So I'd rather just keep exact dates to myself. Sorry. Some people can't resist putting the puzzle pieces together and running your anonymity on here!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could any current students elaborate on how they like the LIC. I've heard the internal medicine rotation is outpatient. Is that true? Another graduate of TCMC I spoke to said they had to do extra coordinating to patients pre and post op because of the structure of the LIC. Could someone elaborate on this? Thanks!

Second year here, so I haven't done the LIC yet. Still, I'll answer as best I can. Things are changing, so keep that in mind.

Most of your rotations (including IM) will be outpatient as of now. Currently, students spend half-days in outpatient offices for each of the 6 core specialties with three half-days of "white space" that can be used to explore other specialties, do research, or catch up on reading. There are also ten "burst weeks" where you will spend the entire week in one specialty (IM, surgery, peds, OB, etc.) in the inpatient environment. See here for more: http://www.tcmc.edu/StudentBulletin#MDCourses.

The TCMC graduate you talked to was probably referring to moving around different rotations to follow a patient through the spectrum of care. For example, scheduling your IM/surgery/white space so you can see a patient on presentation to your primary care preceptor, the patient's consult with your surgery preceptor, and the actual surgical procedure in the OR.

I'll end this post by saying that some changes are likely coming to the LIC. @plasmamorris can elaborate better than I can. Nothing is official as far as I know, though.
 
Second year here, so I haven't done the LIC yet. Still, I'll answer as best I can. Things are changing, so keep that in mind.

Most of your rotations (including IM) will be outpatient as of now. Currently, students spend half-days in outpatient offices for each of the 6 core specialties with three half-days of "white space" that can be used to explore other specialties, do research, or catch up on reading. There are also ten "burst weeks" where you will spend the entire week in one specialty (IM, surgery, peds, OB, etc.) in the inpatient environment. See here for more: http://www.tcmc.edu/StudentBulletin#MDCourses.

The TCMC graduate you talked to was probably referring to moving around different rotations to follow a patient through the spectrum of care. For example, scheduling your IM/surgery/white space so you can see a patient on presentation to your primary care preceptor, the patient's consult with your surgery preceptor, and the actual surgical procedure in the OR.

I'll end this post by saying that some changes are likely coming to the LIC. @plasmamorris can elaborate better than I can. Nothing is official as far as I know, though.

Thanks for the information!
 
Considering they just released a batch of decisions a few days ago I doubt it. Maybe they have some Christmas cheer. Who knows! 😉

I think you might be right but what I find odd is that if they don't release the decisions before they go on break, I'll be well into my 10th week by the time they return. I guess 6 to 8 weeks response time won't be applicable to me.
 
I think you might be right but what I find odd is that if they don't release the decisions before they go on break, I'll be well into my 10th week by the time they return. I guess 6 to 8 weeks response time won't be applicable to me.


At a lot of my interviews they said it may be up to 12 weeks because of holiday delays. Just putting that out there. Who really knows how these things work. A lot of it is volunteers, so how they meet can be pretty variable.
 
I think you might be right but what I find odd is that if they don't release the decisions before they go on break, I'll be well into my 10th week by the time they return. I guess 6 to 8 weeks response time won't be applicable to me.

agreed, it'll be quite some time for me as well once the holidays are over. what can ya do
 
I think you might be right but what I find odd is that if they don't release the decisions before they go on break, I'll be well into my 10th week by the time they return. I guess 6 to 8 weeks response time won't be applicable to me.

Were you deferred at any point? I'm going into my 11th week now but I was deferred on week 5 which counts as a "decision" to them. So at this point, there's no longer an expected time frame.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be well into my 11th 🙁 And the funny thing is that I'm pretty sure we won't hear anything back until after the second or the third week of January.

that's just crazy. how have you not heard anything back yet? were you deferred? probably shouldn't give a timeframe for hearing back if it doesn't mean anything lol
 
Accepted (on 12/12/14)! Kept forgetting to post.
Is there a forum for accepted students? I've already paid my deposit because this is my first choice med school because it is close to home, community-friendly, and students/professors close relationships.
 
Accepted (on 12/12/14)! Kept forgetting to post.
Is there a forum for accepted students? I've already paid my deposit because this is my first choice med school because it is close to home, community-friendly, and students/professors close relationships.
When did you interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad