2014-2015 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it only prospective students that go to the revisit day? I would assume it's just for students but the invitation has up to four guests as an option.
I wondered the same thing. I RSVPed for two just in case. I'd like my SO to be there to help figure out housing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know of any local newspapers or blogs about healthcare in the NEPA community? Would love to have credible sources for background research before my interview.
 
looks like there hasn't been much deferred list love in awhile...

Its surprising since so many have said that a majority of last years class was deferred students. Maybe this is the result of them getting their accreditation? People are probably taking them more seriously.
 
Its surprising since so many have said that a majority of last years class was deferred students. Maybe this is the result of them getting their accreditation? People are probably taking them more seriously.

possibility. either way, it's bad news for us on the deferred list!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At this point I am starting to think that the deferred candidates will hear some news when people withdraw closer April 30...I'm just trying to stay patient until then...
I'm hoping that others may have heard back from schools they were waiting for as most schools are probably done interviewing by now. But if not April 30 for sure I'd hope. With how little movement there has been with deferals maybe there will be quite a few taken from the official waitlist this year
 
At this point I am starting to think that the deferred candidates will hear some news when people withdraw closer April 30...I'm just trying to stay patient until then...
I believe they are still interviewing so I'm not sure what exactly their plan is...
 
i guess that means the rest of us got deferred again haha

Not necessarily. Deferrals always come out the Wednesday before acceptances do. So within 5 business days we should know of any acceptances, which I would assume include those that would come from people who were deferred.
 
Last edited:
Did any of you that were deferred write a letter of intent? I feel like at the interview they said to only update with significant updates but just wanted to make sure!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did any of you that were deferred write a letter of intent? I feel like at the interview they said to only update with significant updates but just wanted to make sure!

I remember them saying that they will not accept letters of intent - and will only pass your stuff to the adcoms if it was a significant update
 
Did any of you that were deferred write a letter of intent? I feel like at the interview they said to only update with significant updates but just wanted to make sure!
I wrote and send a letter of intent during Thanksgiving break when I was deferred in October. On early December I received my acceptance. It may be just a coincidence, but I think the letter helped.
 
I wrote and send a letter of intent during Thanksgiving break when I was deferred in October. On early December I received my acceptance. It may be just a coincidence, but I think the letter helped.
Mmm I was deferred back in November and have since written an update letter and a letter of intent, but still deferred. A few others are in the same boat and wrote letters as well. Guess that tactic isn't working for us. This list hasn't moved since December :/
 
Last edited:
To those in the deferred boat with me...
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 209
How do you know you got deferred? Is it different than a letter of rejection?

In the defer email it literally says, "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and elected to defer your application to the next committee meeting."
 
Hey how long did it take for you guys to hear back after your interview?

I just had mine on their last interview day this past Thursday, so I'm expecting a nice long wait, but just wanted an idea of how long it took for some of you guys.
 
It only took me four weeks to hear back. I figure with your interview date being the last it should be close to 4-6 six weeks I'd bet they'd want to offer any acceptances they can before the second look on April 11th.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wrote and send a letter of intent during Thanksgiving break when I was deferred in October. On early December I received my acceptance. It may be just a coincidence, but I think the letter helped.

When you wrote your letter, did you send it in an email or did you write an old fashioned letter? Who did you send it to?