2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would prefer not to share stats (since that could identify me as an applicant), but I am IS. :pigeon: I can give you a hint that it is not very good, lol.

I believe, however, that UCSF is not as uptight about stats as other medical schools. This was from the letter, "This rejection does not mean that we believe you to be unqualified to attend this or any other School of Medicine on either personal or scholarly grounds or that we think that you will not become a fine physician. It simply reflects the enormous competitive pressure of highly qualified applicants for the limited number of positions here."

:=|:-):

That is possibly the nicest rejection letter...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Gives BU a run for its money. I think all schools can learn a lesson though.

Completely agree. I think one school sent me a one sentence rejection letter, which I found a little annoying.

With the time, money, and energy poured into these applications, it's nice to see schools being respectful to all their applicants

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone complete the end of August heard anything yet? I would not mind a visit to Frisco in the dead of a Wisconsin winter. Ahh... I'm such a dreamer!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone complete the end of August heard anything yet? I would not mind a visit to Frisco in the dead of a Wisconsin winter. Ahh... I'm such a dreamer!
Wondering the same thing. I was complete Aug. 27 and haven't heard anything yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for some golden gate love!

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete first few days in August and still nothing. Starting to think bad news is heading my way... No sense in worrying about it I guess.

I was complete first few days in August and still nothing. Starting to think bad news is heading my way... No sense in worrying about it I guess.

Why are you so quick to jumping to negative conclusions? Keep your chin up! People that were complete weeks after you have been rejected. No news is good news - clearly you are still under consideration and I am sure you are a unique, perfectly qualified applicant. Keep in mind that there are individuals (myself included) who were complete weeks before you that have also heard nothing. I know the silence is deafening, but hang in there. Sending positive energy to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Why are you so quick to jumping to negative conclusions? Keep your chin up! People that were complete weeks after you have been rejected. No news is good news - clearly you are still under consideration and I am sure you are a unique, perfectly qualified applicant. Keep in mind that there are individuals (myself included) who were complete weeks before you that have also heard nothing. I know the silence is deafening, but hang in there. Sending positive energy to everyone!
Exactly! I was complete 7/24 and still nothing. Similar at many schools, actually!

Reactions: 3 users
Sending positive energy to everyone!
Completed Aug 6th and nothing.
Remote positive energy transduction totally works. It got me an offer at one school and an II at the other. Just make sure you orient yourself towards the right direction when you initiate the transduction protocol.

Reactions: 8 users

That's really great advice! It's true! It's better to not hear anything at all, than to hear a rejection. At least you're still in the running. This process may seem long, and at times can make us stress, but there is always a bright side to things. It's still October so don't fret my friends!

lolz just got rejected. didn't have high hopes at all but still sucks. :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you gave it a shot!!!!!!!!!! :) Hope that this cycle works out well for you!

Hahah me too! I'm already accepted into a DO school which is awesome, but just hoping to get a chance at an MD. We'll see though since I have no interviews for MD as of yet. Waiting anxiously lol :nailbiting:

Hahah me too! I'm already accepted into a DO school which is awesome, but just hoping to get a chance at an MD. We'll see though since I have no interviews for MD as of yet. Waiting anxiously lol :nailbiting:
It's not over until it's over! It's barely November, so you still have time!!

Does anyone know the admission office is receptive to "in the area" email?

I believe someone posted earlier that they are not.
I just ran through the whole thread with ye olde control+F "area" and "update", and have gathered that in-the-area emails are okay and could even expedite the process (although some have reported a "thank you, but please wait your turn" response). Updates do not seem to be as well-received; though if it is truly something exceptional I don't think it could hurt, so long as you go about it humbly and kindly.

Who are you guys addressing these ITAs to?

I just ran through the whole thread with ye olde control+F "area" and "update", and have gathered that in-the-area emails are okay and could even expedite the process (although some have reported a "thank you, but please wait your turn" response). Updates do not seem to be as well-received; though if it is truly something exceptional I don't think it could hurt, so long as you go about it humbly and kindly.

You know you can do a "only in this thread" search right? :playful:. I don't know what would count as exceptional...an interview at that institution 1h train ride away did not help in my case. Still silence....

You know you can do a "only in this thread" search right? :playful:. I don't know what would count as exceptional...an interview at that institution 1h train ride away did not help in my case. Still silence....
oy!!! Well that's good to know now haha.

Hmm, so do you think it was just a coincidence for the folks who said they got an II after an ITA email?

oy!!! Well that's good to know now haha.

Hmm, so do you think it was just a coincidence for the folks who said they got an II after an ITA email?

I haven't seen anyone who can tie their II to the ITA email on this thread, did you? I mean...it didn't work for me maybe because I never suppose to get an II, while it could have worked for somebody else when that person was already considered to be qualified for an II, you know such things are not really for our mortal applications to speculate...we can only :poke: and :thinking:

Very true!

I was referring to this:

Just n=1 here, but 2 years ago my friend from SC sent one and got an II shortly after. It probably wouldn't hurt.

I think I'm going to send one just because who could really take offense to a 1-2 sentence email informing them that we're thinking about them and that we'll be close by soon? Sure, it probably won't matter, but I don't see the harm.

Stupid question but to whom and how did you address your ITA email?

Very true!

I was referring to this:

I think I'm going to send one just because who could really take offense to a 1-2 sentence email informing them that we're thinking about them and that we'll be close by soon? Sure, it probably won't matter, but I don't see the harm.

Stupid question but to whom and how did you address your ITA email?
Let's see...... [email protected] was where i sent the email to and from where I got a response to tell me to wait for my turn.

Agree with your altitude, I consider every communication a form of LOI.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question for those of you that are familiar with the JMP program. Is it possible to get a JMP interview but not receive on to UCSF?

I addressed it to the admission office.

Submitted my secondary (I know it's late, but they sent me an invitation about 1.5 weeks ago and it could not have come at a busier time in my life)

Given how they reject some of the highest stats applicants I have ever seen on SDN, I will await for UCSF to also break my heart as well.

Submitted my secondary (I know it's late, but they sent me an invitation about 1.5 weeks ago and it could not have come at a busier time in my life)

Given how they reject some of the highest stats applicants I have ever seen on SDN, I will await for UCSF to also break my heart as well.

Getting into medical school is not always about a specific checklist. Have more faith in the process my friend.

Coming up on week 15 with radio silence here... Hopefully its a good thing because they seem to be pretty against silent rejection :)

Reactions: 1 users
Almost. Coming up on 11 weeks now :/

Are you guys talking about 11 weeks or whenever from confirmation of secondary?
Coming up on week 15 with radio silence here... Hopefully its a good thing because they seem to be pretty against silent rejection :)

Do you refer to 15 weeks from verification of secondary or primary?

almost at 15 weeks from secondary complete email...

It's been 5 months since I submitted my primary and just got a secondary! I'm speechless.

LizzyM 76, not quite impressive ECs but I have clinical/non-clinical/research all covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
almost at 15 weeks from secondary complete email...

I didn't get a secondary complete email, just a "secondary submitted" email and all green checks on my portal. Did everyone else get complete emails?

I didn't get a secondary complete email, just a "secondary submitted" email and all green checks on my portal. Did everyone else get complete emails?

No, just a secondary submitted email.

How long does UCSF conduct interviews for? I completed my secondary 9/1 but have yet to hear back :-/

How long does UCSF conduct interviews for? I completed my secondary 9/1 but have yet to hear back :-/

Some people completed way before you and are in silence. I would be patient.

Reactions: 3 users
We need a de-stress and empowerment thread! I don't want to minimize anyone's feelings, because they are valid, and I experience them myself. I just feel like there has to be a better way to deal with those feelings. Unless your an ADCOM, no one really knows how the reviewing process works, but if we continue to compare our stats etc. to others we are surely going to worry more than what's necessary.

Reactions: 12 users
Hey, so my UCSF secondary asked how I identify. I am bisexual, and have dated women and men. But I'm still closeted to my religious family. Do they require that we be out to identify as LGBTQ spectrum?