2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiosity, have many people been rejected pre-secondary or have those of us who haven't received secondaries yet been silently rejected?
I got a secondary last week and was verified in August.

It seems like others have been rejected pre-secondary though. (You might want to double check me on that)
Same - just received a secondary. They're definitely still patrolling!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected post-secondary last night. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected after waiting 17 weeks exactly. Nice rejection letter at least!

Last edited:
Rejected pre-secondary. Not even mad cause my chance of getting an interview here is about 0.5%

$35 worth

Received a secondary tonight 0_o. I had already assumed a rejection so that was unexpected.:)

Reactions: 3 users
Well...I knew it was a long shot (though I thought maayyyybe working for them for four years and publishing papers for the institution might help me a little...) - rejected just now.

Edit: rejected post-secondary

Reactions: 1 user
Received the friendly rejection just now post-secondary. Complete 08/05. It was a long shot, but worth the try. :)

Well...I knew it was a long shot (though I thought maayyyybe working for them for four years and publishing papers for the institution might help me a little...) - rejected just now.

Edit: rejected post-secondary
Do you mind me asking when you were you complete?

Out of curiosity, have many people been rejected pre-secondary or have those of us who haven't received secondaries yet been silently rejected?

Don't accept defeat. It seems they send out rejection letters, so until that happens... Think positive

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the friendly rejection just now post-secondary. Complete 08/05. It was a long shot, but worth the try. :)
At least you put your best foot forward! Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

I am not sure where to write this so that people will see it and don't know if starting a new thread is appropriate. I am currently a medical student at another institution (in the Midwest). I am looking for a place to stay over Thanksgiving. I am looking to do a year of research at UCSF so I am interviewing with a lab on the med center campus. I am willing to pay to stay with a student for a number of nights to avoid the high price of hotels. If anyone is interested in hosting me, please send me a PM. Thank you!

I am not sure where to write this so that people will see it and don't know if starting a new thread is appropriate. I am currently a medical student at another institution (in the Midwest). I am looking for a place to stay over Thanksgiving. I am looking to do a year of research at UCSF so I am interviewing with a lab on the med center campus. I am willing to pay to stay with a student for a number of nights to avoid the high price of hotels. If anyone is interested in hosting me, please send me a PM. Thank you!

Hey! I don't go to UCSF (see above re rejection) but I work there and live nearby. PM me for more details

Rejected pre-secondary. Not even mad cause my chance of getting an interview here is about 0.5%

$35 worth
Did you get a rejection letter via e-mail? I haven't received ANYTHING from UCSF since my primary application was verified in September.

Did you get a rejection letter via e-mail? I haven't received ANYTHING from UCSF since my primary application was verified in September.
Yea it was via e-mail, I submitted the primary late July.

Same here. I called about 3 weeks ago and they said they've been a little slower this year. So hopefully we're still in the running :/

anyone interview here in early october and hear rumors that we'd be hearing back in november?

anyone interview here in early october and hear rumors that we'd be hearing back in november?
I interviewed this month and they gave us a sheet indicating we would not hear anything until January at the earliest. I got the feeling this was the case for everyone who had interviewed thus far.

I interviewed this month and they gave us a sheet indicating we would not hear anything until January at the earliest. I got the feeling this was the case for everyone who had interviewed thus far.
That's not too long of a wait considering it's almost December!

From prior pages...

N = 1 anecdotal evidence, but at my interview session (early Oct), they speculated that our date could hear anywhere between late November and January. So possibly sooner.... but most likely later.

When I interviewed back in early October, Dr. Wofsy said decisions will come out some time after late November but that we would hear back before the end of the year....for people that interviewed recently has he said anything different than that?

someone mentioned that more than 1500 secondaries were given out this cycle. can anyone else confirm this? i know ucsf usually gives out only 1500, but judging from the sdn response (and the fact that i got one...lol) i wonder if they actually are changing their secondary policy. or perhaps, are they interviewing and accepting more students this cycle? does someone that had an interview there know what's up?

well happy thanksgiving... just got a secondary, AMCAS verified mid July. had completely written off UCSF. maybe they'll give me an II for a christmas gift.

Reactions: 15 users
They say they will get back to you after submitting the secondary within 4-6 weeks. Damn, no one else has that kind of turn around time.

They say they will get back to you after submitting the secondary within 4-6 weeks. Damn, no one else has that kind of turn around time.
I submitted my secondary almost 12 weeks ago, with still no response...

I recently added "Days since I've heard from them" To my spread sheet. The longest I have is 130 days, UCSF is sitting pretty at 86 (12+ weeks). Needless to say, I'm more than a little anxious at my chances.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary here on the 26th of September (complete shortly after). Judging by the past few posts, I'll have to wait quite a while before getting a final decision. Here's to waiting with everyone else :cigar:

Rejected post secondary on 11/14. submitted on 7/25 which makes it a 16 week turn around time lolz

Anyone know if there's an appeals process still for post secondary rejections?

Does anyone know when UCSF stops interviewing and when decisions are released?

In the past, interviews went until late Feb. II's went out as late as early-mid Feb I think.

Kind of confused.... OOS and just got a secondary. Submitted my primary in Mid-July (So, 19 weeks ago). Is this normal for UCSF and is there a chance they will make a decision on my application fast enough to get an II before the cycle is over? Thanks!

Kind of confused.... OOS and just got a secondary. Submitted my primary in Mid-July (So, 19 weeks ago). Is this normal for UCSF and is there a chance they will make a decision on my application fast enough to get an II before the cycle is over? Thanks!
got nothing to lose, except 100 bucks, but that's a drop in the bucket for a shot at an amazing school

Reactions: 3 users
got nothing to lose, except 100 bucks, but that's a drop in the bucket for a shot at an amazing school

Amen, bostonite. I'm shocked because I already assumed a silent rejection. I hope this brings a little hope to any other out-of-staters that haven't heard back after the submission of their primary.

Amen, bostonite. I'm shocked because I already assumed a silent rejection. I hope this brings a little hope to any other out-of-staters that haven't heard back after the submission of their primary.
Just got the same shock last week. I second the not much to lose. I'm telling myself it means it took them forever to decide they like me but that it's a more positive indication than if they decided right away (more than just a stats based decision).

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I am wondering what people have been putting in the additional info section of the secondary. I was just thinking about discussing what I have been doing since I submitted the AMCAS application. Thank you for any help you can provide.

I just received a secondary. I assumed rejection like most, but somehow received this super late secondary. Do you think the chances for a II at this point are slim especially since I will be "complete" in December?

I just received a secondary. I assumed rejection like most, but somehow received this super late secondary. Do you think the chances for a II at this point are slim especially since I will be "complete" in December?

They gave you a secondary. What do you have to lose? A little bit of money. No one here can tell you what your chances are. I would just submit it. It's not like they require any additional info

Reactions: 4 users
Just got one too. Either they need more funding from us or we do actually have a shot. I'm going to go with the latter.

I just received an invite to interview for the JMP and MD, with no word of PRIME. Does this mean that I have been rejected by the PRIME program? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, just trying to suss it all out!

I just received an invite to interview for the JMP and MD, with no word of PRIME. Does this mean that I have been rejected by the PRIME program? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, just trying to suss it all out!

From my understanding, PRIME candidacy is determined after you interview. I think it's a few weeks after :)

Hope the information helps! Good luck!!!

Pre-ii rejection just now, complete 7/31, OOS, LizzyM 76

And yeah their rejection email is nice, still sucks though :/

Last edited:
Post-secondary/Pre-II rejection today. Complete 8/7 (I think), LizzyM 73. Oh well, it was a long shot anyway. Good luck to those still in the running!