2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay! I was actually asking about post-interview decisions. It was said it may be as early as November at my interview but just wasn't sure if they have been giving any more specific information at more recent interviews. Just curious if December is a possibility or if its definitely going to be next year!

I know, I was just making a remark independent of your question. Did I accidentally quote your post? Hope you find your answer though!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay! I was actually asking about post-interview decisions. It was said it may be as early as November at my interview but just wasn't sure if they have been giving any more specific information at more recent interviews. Just curious if December is a possibility or if its definitely going to be next year!

Based on previous years I am hopeful that the first interviewees will hear either next Friday or early in the week of Christmas.

Oh gotcha! Think I was just confused ha. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on previous years I am hopeful that the first interviewees will hear either next Friday or early in the week of Christmas.

Prior to last year, I believe they explicitly said they released first decisions on 12/15 (think I saw this in earlier threads); last year they were told "mid-January," and first decisions came out 1/29. So I would err on the side of January rather than December when extrapolating from previous years' data, simply because they changed policies not too long ago.

The bulk of decisions will typically be released between January and March. November is possible but not guaranteed, and there is usually one batch of decisions release in December. Sometimes the committees meet late, sometimes the Dean waits for more rounds of meetings to gather enough for a batch. Easier for the office to work on a bunch of decision letters at once than trickles of them throughout.

I got rejected post-secondary today. I submitted my secondary in mid-November. Good luck to everyone else! :)

Rejected just now. Complete 9/9. Happy I got a secondary and honestly really expected nothing other than a rejection. It was fun while it lasted UCSF!

Reactions: 1 user
Thumbs up for nicest rejection ever though

Just got a post-secondary rejection. They sent me a secondary super late (12/3) and got my hopes up only to reject me 8 days after I submitted it. What gives?

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected just now. Got the secondary like November 11th or something and submitted/completed on 11/14. Don't know why they waited so long to give me a secondary just to reject me.

So long San Francisco! ='(

Members don't see this ad :)
well happy thanksgiving... just got a secondary, AMCAS verified mid July. had completely written off UCSF. maybe they'll give me an II for a christmas gift.
Well i guess ucsf decided i deserved coal for christmas... Joining the post-secondary rejection train. Little disappointed to have gotten a secondary so late just just end up rejected so fast (though atleast they didnt string me along i suppose).

That was quick. I submitted in September, still haven't heard.

Yeah, I got the secondary invite pretty late (11/6). I'm just glad they thought I was good enough for it. And it was truly the nicest rejection ever.

Cant find the answer via search, but are these rejections coming via an email? Complete Sept, crossing fingers for II, and assuming no news better than the Ax (can one hope to get a very late interview II just like they seem to ask for secondaries very late as well).

Cant find the answer via search, but are these rejections coming via an email? Complete Sept, crossing fingers for II, and assuming no news better than the Ax (can one hope to get a very late interview II just like they seem to ask for secondaries very late as well).

Via email.

+1 for getting the ax.

Was shocked at a secondary, so not too surprised about the rejection. Still stings to be cut by your dream school

I was complete on 8/7 and I've heard nothing still o_O... just put me out of my misery.

I am starting to wonder if they actually accept people here

Reactions: 9 users
+1 rejection (surprise secondary received two or three weeks ago).

Question - Does this also take us out of the running for the JMP or will we receive a separate rejection for that?

Just got a post-secondary rejection. They sent me a secondary super late (12/3) and got my hopes up only to reject me 8 days after I submitted it. What gives?
It's possible they just ran out of enough II spots and are being overly selective now or possibly the pre/post secondary screening is done by different people. We'd never know, hopefully you had a real shot, it wasn't just to tag along a bunch of people late in the season without a shot.

Mid Sept secondary radio silence. Although I feel like now that I put that out in the universe, I'm tempting something.

Reactions: 2 users
Mid Sept secondary radio silence. Although I feel like now that I put that out in the universe, I'm tempting something.
I was complete mid/late November… and now I feel the same way.

Last edited:
Rejected post-secondary last Friday. No surprises there, they gave me a pretty late secondary in late September (despite an early primary submission in June). They must've been short on funds and needed some extra secondary revenue :D, oh well

Rejected post-secondary last Friday. No surprises there, they gave me a pretty late secondary in late September (despite an early primary submission in June). They must've been short on funds and needed some extra secondary revenue :D, oh well
Same primary submission, mid-september secondary... just glad I haven't heard anything given the news being given of late. Hoping there's a wave of II's in January... And that's what I told Santa too.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone called and asked the school to give some feedback on rejection?

All I want for Christmas is an II/acceptance letter!

Reactions: 7 users
Alright UCSF, the first night of Chanukkah has passed. You've got 7 more chances to give me what I want.

Reactions: 9 users
I got a secondary from UCSF last week, which just about bowled me over! My stats are way below their average and I'm OOS. Not sure if it's worth the secondary fee because I'm so tight on dough after putting down a deposit at an osteopathic school, but I guess it couldn't hurt to submit. Reading about some of y'all's experiences, it looks like it's getting late in the cycle to even have a shot here, though.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a secondary from UCSF last week, which just about bowled me over! My stats are way below their average and I'm OOS. Not sure if it's worth the secondary fee because I'm so tight on dough after putting down a deposit at an osteopathic school, but I guess it couldn't hurt to submit. Reading about some of y'all's experiences, it looks like it's getting late in the cycle to even have a shot here, though.

It's of course up to you whether you want to send in a secondary, but if you are concerned about being OOS, UCSF, unlike many other UCs, doesn't have a quota on OOS. Each year our accepted class is usually 50/50 IS/OOS, but more IS applicants choose to matriculate, and the entering class turns out to be 80/20 or so.

...... and I'm out! :( Rejected post secondary no II.

Just got my secondary last week, turned it right around to the JMP. Not getting discouraged, this is my dream school and any shot is a shot.

I swear, one of the essays probably one of the best I've ever written in my life. Inspiration does that. This is a second career and I've actually taught PBL, so here's hoping it makes a difference. Even so, I'm looking at even getting a secondary as a small victory and not thinking about it again until I hear more.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got my secondary last week, turned it right around to the JMP. Not getting discouraged, this is my dream school and any shot is a shot.

I swear, one of the essays probably one of the best I've ever written in my life. Inspiration does that. This is a second career and I've actually taught PBL, so here's hoping it makes a difference. Even so, I'm looking at even getting a secondary as a small victory and not thinking about it again until I hear more.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

It's great to hear this. Very inspiring post. Best of luck to you!

I'll get it in and see what happens. What is there to lose? It would be really expensive, but it's an amazing school and area of the country in which to learn!

Reactions: 3 users
So...I just logged into my UCSF portal and saw a tab for 'waitlist'....which was super disheartening, but I haven't gotten any emails or notifications from UCSF yet (and status still says I've only interviewed), so I'm hoping it's a mistake.

...Not to mention that the letter references the "TCMC Office of Admissions", which Google tells me is The Commonwealth Medical College.

Anyone else have this randomly pop up within the last few days or so?

So...I just logged into my UCSF portal and saw a tab for 'waitlist'....

...Not to mention that the letter references the "TCMC Office of Admissions", which Google tells me is The Commonwealth Medical College.

What on earth?

I do not have any additional tab. I interviewed recently, though, and from what I was told on my interview day, it would be too early for a decision on my application anyway.

Is TCMC pranking UCSF? Maybe there is some cross-country beef that we're not aware of.

So...I just logged into my UCSF portal and saw a tab for 'waitlist'....which was super disheartening, but I haven't gotten any emails or notifications from UCSF yet (and status still says I've only interviewed), so I'm hoping it's a mistake.

Anyone else have this randomly pop up within the last few days or so?

Just checked and I have the same thing. Ouch. Hoping it's just a petty prank by TCMC, but it sounds like the Real Deal.

Looks like I'll probably be relocating to the L'East Coast!

I interviewed around OCt 22nd and I have no waitlist tab....

Has anyone tried calling them and asking about this?

That wait list has to be error. The tab even says to contact an e-mail that is ran by The Commonwealth Medical College. Not sure how exactly that occurred, but there is no way UCSF has done that on purpose. Especially considering none of us have been notified at all.

I interviewed around OCt 22nd and I have no waitlist tab....

Has anyone tried calling them and asking about this?
Same, I interviewed on 10/22 and nothing for me... so. much. stress. O_O

I interviewed on 10/9 and don't see that tab. But that tab doesn't sound right...

Based on past year's, it does seem possible that decisions are coming out either tomorrow or beginning of next week, however.

I just got an Offer tab!! No email though. So I am going to wait on it.

Interviewed early October. No waitlist or offer tab. So much stress..

Accepted!!!!!!! AHHH!!! They just sent me an email!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just checked, and I have a tab that says "offer" with a letter saying I've been accepted!

EDIT: I haven't received any emails regarding a status change or acceptance, how weird! Guess it's too late to call them, but maybe this means decisions will be officially released tomorrow? (I interviewed in mid November)

I thought November interviewees would not hear back until January (I interviewed Nov 20th)