2014-2015 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am wondering what people have been putting in the additional info section of the secondary. I was just thinking about discussing what I have been doing since I submitted the AMCAS application. Thank you for any help you can provide.
That is what I did.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected today, complete end of Aug. :'(

Rejected post-secondary as well today. IS complete early mid-August, Lizzy score 73. Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected here also .... Sigh. Rejection and silence are starting to get old. Best of luck to everyone else though !

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe it. II! ty god. IS, low 30s MCAT, GPA 3.7+, non-trad, complete in november. Unbelievably grateful.

Reactions: 11 users
Just received secondary invite, do I win the award for latest secondary?

Reactions: 6 users
Just received secondary invite, do I win the award for latest secondary?

Congrats! You are in the running, but ehh! Remember what they say about saving the best for last !

Reactions: 1 user
Took em 16 weeks but I got that rejection finally!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the rejection through email yesterday. Complete ~8/28 LizzyM ~72, OOS Very grateful for the secondary invite but also quite bummed I won't get to see this magnificent school. Does anyone know if they're receptive to appeals?

rejected post-secondary ~ complete late august.
guess you can't win them all :(

Just received the rejection through email yesterday. Complete ~8/28 LizzyM ~72, OOS Very grateful for the secondary invite but also quite bummed I won't get to see this magnificent school. Does anyone know if they're receptive to appeals?
You can appeal, chances of interview invite nil to not very high, depending on your reasons for appeal.

Yeah. I was rejected in this wave as well. Complete mid aug.

Complete August 27 and still nada! Hoping to hear good news soon, but feeling pessimistic seeing all these rejections :/ sorry guys!

I received a secondary on December 2 at 4:38 PM PDT. I was pretty excited. I sent in the secondary the next day. Thankfully it's not the bear that is the UCLA secondary.

So, for fun I'm going to tell you guys a little story. It relates to the "Did UCSF just send me a secondary because it needs funding" asked in jest earlier in the thread.

As an undergrad at UC Berkeley, some admissions staff from UCSF came over to talk with us about applying to medical school and a little bit about UCSF in particular. She told a story about how a student called her, told her who he was and then asked if they "just sent him a secondary to get the fee?" She told us that she then hung up the phone. She told us, in no uncertain terms, that we should not ask that particular question. She said that she found his application in the stack of applications (this was many years ago--I'm almost embarrassed to say how long) and made certain that it was on the bottom. She made it really clear that we applicants should be extremely nice to all admissions employees, even if we think that the person answering the phone is lowly and unimportant. Something in my gut told me not to mess with this woman!

I'm not saying that I completely believed her, but I hoped that what she said was true. I would prefer that nice people are rewarded. Having worked at a retail pharmacy for 3 years, I can tell you that no matter how tough you get, no matter how used to being verbally abused you become, people can still find a way to get to almost everyone. Sometimes it requires a series of many difficult, unpleasant people. So, I imagine someone else dealing with stressed out people might be similarly abused or treated like a computer rather than a person. I try to be really nice to admissions personnel in part because I imagine that their job is difficult this time of year, but also because it seems best not to mess with them.

[shaking font]Ask admissions personnel about them giving you a secondary for funding at your own peril!!![/shaking font]

Also, as I'm certain many of you have read, UCSF appears to have a uniquely applicant friendly pre-secondary screening. I'm certain that all of you appreciate how nice it is to avoid writing another secondary. Because of that and assuming that UCSF ran admissions similarly back then, I can see why this particularly admissions lady was irked by that particular question.

Good luck to the rest of you still in the running!

Reactions: 7 users
I received a secondary on December 2 at 4:38 PM PDT. I was pretty excited. I sent in the secondary the next day. Thankfully it's not the bear that is the UCLA secondary.

So, for fun I'm going to tell you guys a little story. It relates to the "Did UCSF just send me a secondary because it needs funding" asked in jest earlier in the thread.

As an undergrad at UC Berkeley, some admissions staff from UCSF came over to talk with us about applying to medical school and a little bit about UCSF in particular. She told a story about how a student called her, told her who he was and then asked if they "just sent him a secondary to get the fee?" She told us that she then hung up the phone. She told us, in no uncertain terms, that we should not ask that particular question. She said that she found his application in the stack of applications (this was many years ago--I'm almost embarrassed to say how long) and made certain that it was on the bottom. She made it really clear that we applicants should be extremely nice to all admissions employees, even if we think that the person answering the phone is lowly and unimportant. Something in my gut told me not to mess with this woman!

I'm not saying that I completely believed her, but I hoped that what she said was true. I would prefer that nice people are rewarded. Having worked at a retail pharmacy for 3 years, I can tell you that no matter how tough you get, no matter how used to being verbally abused you become, people can still find a way to get to almost everyone. Sometimes it requires a series of many difficult, unpleasant people. So, I imagine someone else dealing with stressed out people might be similarly abused or treated like a computer rather than a person. I try to be really nice to admissions personnel in part because I imagine that their job is difficult this time of year, but also because it seems best not to mess with them.

[shaking font]Ask admissions personnel about them giving you a secondary for funding at your own peril!!![/shaking font]

Also, as I'm certain many of you have read, UCSF appears to have a uniquely applicant friendly pre-secondary screening. I'm certain that all of you appreciate how nice it is to avoid writing another secondary. Because of that and assuming that UCSF ran admissions similarly back then, I can see why this particularly admissions lady was irked by that particular question.

Good luck to the rest of you still in the running!

Oh, and for data/comparison purposes, my secondary was not completed until October 15th. I ran into some issues requesting transcripts, took the MCAT fairly late (end of July) and did not know until it was too late how important the timing can be in this entire process. I was told by many that I could not really even decide to which schools I ought to apply until my MCAT results were in.

Complete August 27 and still nada! Hoping to hear good news soon, but feeling pessimistic seeing all these rejections :/ sorry guys!

Same here!

Got the axe just barely. Complete late August. I would have loved to visit San Fran. Good luck to those in the running!

Today I got an email from UCSF Osher Mini Medical School and totally had a false alarm. Yes, I'm signed up for their newsletter. Sigh. I keep waiting for the axe but have a glimpse of hope. *end rant.

Whoa! I just received a secondary! I'm probably around their lower .0001 percentile as far as GPA is concerned and feel super lucky to have received it! I wonder if there was a computer error??? Anyway hopefully I'll here some good news! Good luck to all of those still waiting!

I wonder if there was a computer error???

No my dear, we don't do automatic screens, all secondaries are selected by hand. Take it as a compliment that your whole package is far more interesting than just numbers and an opportunity to show that you deserve an interview too. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
No my dear, we don't do automatic screens, all secondaries are selected by hand. Take it as a compliment that your whole package is far more interesting than just numbers and an opportunity to show that you deserve an interview too. Good luck.
Thank you! Do you think it would be okay to elaborate on some topics covered in my primary application as well as additional activities I started since the submission of my primary application? The prompt states this, "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below." I wanted to elaborate on how I have been impacted by life events and how I can add to dynamics of the medical school class. Do you think this is appropriate considering the prompt?

Thank you! Do you think it would be okay to elaborate on some topics covered in my primary application as well as additional activities I started since the submission of my primary application? The prompt states this, "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below." I wanted to elaborate on how I have been impacted by life events and how I can add to dynamics of the medical school class. Do you think this is appropriate considering the prompt?
Yes, definitely update them on your most recent activities. Elaborate on any experience that you feel will benefit you as a future physician, give you more insight/maturity/empathy, allow you to make unique contributions to your class, etc. Anything that makes you a more compassionate, more interesting person.

Yes, definitely update them on your most recent activities. Elaborate on any experience that you feel will benefit you as a future physician, give you more insight/maturity/empathy, allow you to make unique contributions to your class, etc. Anything that makes you a more compassionate, more interesting person.
Fantastic,
Thank you for your advice! I like your snail by the way :)

Any recent interview invitations?

Well it was fun while it lasted. Complete August 27, rejected today!

Whoa! I just received a secondary! I'm probably around their lower .0001 percentile as far as GPA is concerned and feel super lucky to have received it! I wonder if there was a computer error??? Anyway hopefully I'll here some good news! Good luck to all of those still waiting!
Nothing is ever a fluke. Think positive!

Dun dun dun, another one bites the dust. See ya later Frisco!

Reactions: 4 users
Have they mentioned decision release dates at any recent interviews?

It seems like post-secondary applicants still waiting after the 12-week period just end up getting rejections eventually.

del

Last edited:
[starting neurotic post]

Does anyone know if UCSF is open to post-secondary, pre-interview letter of interest/intent? I have deep roots in the area (live here, spouse works here, family here) and have been involved with UCSF in many ways over the years (I'm a nontrad). I love this school and it's the absolute best fit for me and my family. Would it be a bad idea to convey this?

Thanks for the advice and I apologize for the neuroticism. I know this school is a dream for many/most of us.

No, UCSF doesn't accept pre-interview updates.

For those who have interviewed, have any of you heard anything back regarding PRIME candidacy? I'm super interested in that program!!!

Rejected 12/8/2014
It's okay, reaching UCSF's secondary is good enough ^^
Best of luck to rest of you all.

It seems like post-secondary applicants still waiting after the 12-week period just end up getting rejections eventually.
Okay! I was actually asking about post-interview decisions. It was said it may be as early as November at my interview but just wasn't sure if they have been giving any more specific information at more recent interviews. Just curious if December is a possibility or if its definitely going to be next year!