2014-2015 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And so it begins! Good luck to everyone applying! :luck::luck: Here's hoping that UW likes us.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an in-region secondary request today, even without an MCAT score yet. I thought I wouldn't because I thought they screen by GPA and MCAT before requesting secondaries.

Yay! I got a secondary request and residence verification request today, too! I'm going WWAMI.

I got a residency verfication request after filling out the in-state questionnaire. I think I found the right form for the residency verfication but does anyone know if we send it to the address for residence classifaction (and then they send it to UW admissions) or to UW admissions directly?

I got a residency verfication request after filling out the in-state questionnaire. I think I found the right form for the residency verfication but does anyone know if we send it to the address for residence classifaction (and then they send it to UW admissions) or to UW admissions directly?
Give all your information for residency verification to UW Residency Office. Following verification, they will send the SOM an email and cc the student with the results. It took mine about a week and a half but I did it in June since I expected the verification after recently returning to the state..

Last edited:
So even if they get all my LORs and money, my file will be incomplete until the residency office gets back to them? Bummer... :(

So even if they get all my LORs and money, my file will be incomplete until the residency office gets back to them? Bummer... :(
Yes, but most people are in the same position as you. Just be quick, make no errors and it'll be fine.

Dat residency verification is such a pain...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are most of you using the space provided for the Autobiographical Statement Addendum in addition the the personal statement?

Edit: Check out question #3 from the top:
http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/Documents/md-program/2014_FGquestions.pdf
Yes, definitely add more.

On a side note, finished my secondary up today and sent off the check! I kept clicking on the "application fee" section of the secondary, only to finally read it after several tries and see you have to send it via snail mail :smack:

OOR applicant here- @Osteoth @LeafyTreeTops how long after verification did you get the initial letter? I'd LOVE to go to UW but I know the OOR screen is probably tough!

FYI there's this funky formula they screen with (I'm hardcore speculating here, but maybe the initial letter means you made it through this screen??). Check it out:
When UW School of Medicine receives your file from AMCAS, an initial automated screening is done of all applications:

The WGPA (weighted GPA)* is added to the mean MCAT score then converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal CS (Combined score) = 8
(eg. WGPA = 2.4, mean MCAT = 9 then CS would be calculated as 2.4 + (9/3.75) = 4.8).
If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out and the applicant will not be invited to complete a secondary application.

*WGPA = freshman GPAx1 + sophomore GPAx2 + junior GPA x 3 /6

For non-WWAMI applicants, an additional review will follow to determine if the applicant meets the criteria for out-of-region candidates.​

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on the TRUST program? I am familiar with what it is, and in fact I am applying for it, but I can't seem to find anything about the admissions of it. Is it generally a smaller applicant pool so it helps your chances of getting in? Or is it a super competitive program based on UWs high primary care ranks? I think it's an awesome program and would really enjoy being a part of it seeing as how I am from a rural western WA town and would love to stay in the area to do Rural Family medicine, but I just can't find anything. Any tips on how to increase my chances?

So just a double confirmation: The autobiography essay is for a fact limited to 250 words? (For those of you that have submitted already)

I've scoured the forums looking for more info on TRUST (acceptance/admissions info) but I can't find any. Does nobody like talking about it? Or does nobody apply for it?

Sadly, yes.

Thanks! It was really hard to get 250 words! Trying to verbalize very subjective material as abruptly as possible is a challenge.

I've scoured the forums looking for more info on TRUST (acceptance/admissions info) but I can't find any. Does nobody like talking about it? Or does nobody apply for it?

Not sure if this can apply across the TRUST program as a whole, but the Idaho TRUST (directly from the PreMed Summit) is "marketed" as a program that takes rural students and locks them down in a specific rural area for all your clinical rotations to get you to practice there. In regards to admission chances, they say there is no difference in your chances if you choose TRUST or not. For those considering the program, use caution, because your application may look inconsistent if you requested TRUST without being from a rural area or experience in rural medicine.

Last edited:
I spent some time a while back looking for info on TRUST. I assumed there must be some kind of stipend or scholarship that goes with it, but couldn't find any verification of that.

If there's no money, why in the world would you apply? It seems like it would merely restrict your options.

Not sure if this can apply across the TRUST program as a whole, but the Idaho TRUST (directly from the PreMed Summit) is "marketed" as a program that takes rural students and locks them down in a specific rural area for all your clinical rotations to get you to practice there. In regards to admission chances, they say there is no difference in your chances if you choose TRUST or not. For those considering the porgram, use caution, because your entire application would look inconsistent if you requested TRUST without being from a rural area or experience in rural medicine. Hipster trying to pose as a Cowboy = Instant Application Killer. And no, boots with your suit won't get you into the program, haha.

I am interested in practicing in rural areas (possibly globally too?) and also think primary care could be the specialty for me...Since it will allow me to develop the meaningful relationships with patients that have always made me want to be a doctor. I mentioned these interests in my PS (rural and primary care). However, I'm not sure TRUST is the right option for me due to other interests in public health and research. Think they will look at it as an inconsistency if I dont apply to TRUST and mentioned those things in my PS?

OOR applicant here- @Osteoth @LeafyTreeTops how long after verification did you get the initial letter? I'd LOVE to go to UW but I know the OOR screen is probably tough!

FYI there's this funky formula they screen with (I'm hardcore speculating here, but maybe the initial letter means you made it through this screen??). Check it out:
When UW School of Medicine receives your file from AMCAS, an initial automated screening is done of all applications:

The WGPA (weighted GPA)* is added to the mean MCAT score then converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal CS (Combined score) = 8
(eg. WGPA = 2.4, mean MCAT = 9 then CS would be calculated as 2.4 + (9/3.75) = 4.8).
If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out and the applicant will not be invited to complete a secondary application.
*WGPA = freshman GPAx1 + sophomore GPAx2 + junior GPA x 3 /6

For non-WWAMI applicants, an additional review will follow to determine if the applicant meets the criteria for out-of-region candidates.​
Never mind, I see in my initial letter now that it is 4-6 weeks. Here's to hoping for the best come August!

My app hasn't been verified yet, but I'm looking over the residency verification form and am getting a little worried...has anybody else recently moved to Washington? I spoke to the admissions office last year and they told me that as long as I had started the process to becoming a resident by the time I applied, I would be considered in-state. However, the form is asking for proof of being in-state for the past 12 months. Does anybody have experience with this?

Does anyone have any information on the TRUST program? I am familiar with what it is, and in fact I am applying for it, but I can't seem to find anything about the admissions of it. Is it generally a smaller applicant pool so it helps your chances of getting in? Or is it a super competitive program based on UWs high primary care ranks? I think it's an awesome program and would really enjoy being a part of it seeing as how I am from a rural western WA town and would love to stay in the area to do Rural Family medicine, but I just can't find anything. Any tips on how to increase my chances?

TRUST definitely has a smaller applicant pool (I feel like I saw numbers from the cycle I applied, but I can't seem to find them on the site now...) but it is still a competitive program. As far as I can tell, the current TRUST scholars all have backgrounds and experiences that support their decision to practice rural medicine. The best way to optimize your chances is to be passionate about your experiences and project yourself as someone who is committed to rural med. Here's the website, just in case you haven't seen it: http://depts.washington.edu/fammed/education/programs/trust/apply/2015/info

Not sure if this can apply across the TRUST program as a whole, but the Idaho TRUST (directly from the PreMed Summit) is "marketed" as a program that takes rural students and locks them down in a specific rural area for all your clinical rotations to get you to practice there. In regards to admission chances, they say there is no difference in your chances if you choose TRUST or not. For those considering the porgram, use caution, because your entire application would look inconsistent if you requested TRUST without being from a rural area or experience in rural medicine. Hipster trying to pose as a Cowboy = Instant Application Killer. And no, boots with your suit won't get you into the program, haha.

As far as I know you are not required to do all your clerkships at your site, check the link above.

I am interested in practicing in rural areas (possibly globally too?) and also think primary care could be the specialty for me...Since it will allow me to develop the meaningful relationships with patients that have always made me want to be a doctor. I mentioned these interests in my PS (rural and primary care). However, I'm not sure TRUST is the right option for me due to other interests in public health and research. Think they will look at it as an inconsistency if I dont apply to TRUST and mentioned those things in my PS?

I had the same concern when I applied and I was asked at my interview why I did not apply to TRUST, given my background and the career goals I expressed. I answered honestly and we moved on. Things worked out, so don't sweat it too much!

My app hasn't been verified yet, but I'm looking over the residency verification form and am getting a little worried...has anybody else recently moved to Washington? I spoke to the admissions office last year and they told me that as long as I had started the process to becoming a resident by the time I applied, I would be considered in-state. However, the form is asking for proof of being in-state for the past 12 months. Does anybody have experience with this?

Here is a link to info specifically related to the residency requirements for med school students. It mentions that you should be in WA for 6 full months prior to applying and also mentions that there is sufficient evidence that you will be in WA until matriculation. I would start getting as the residency stuff organized ASAP and you should probably okay as long as you have something that will keep you here until next summer.

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/medicalStudents.html

I am not being condescending in the slightest, just replying with a rhetorical question. Who says primary care can't do research? Obviously you would be hugely devoted to public health as one of the few (if you're lucky) physicians in a rural area, but you can also incorporate research into your practice. Quite a few of the incoming second years have spent the summer doing III projects that incorporate the two and we are in rural and underserved areas. Doing TRUST gets you started toward this path.

Survived the MSTP OOS prescreen and got invited for a secondary:)

Is the MSTP secondary the same as the MD secondary? Just want to know what areas of my life not to mention in the prelim so I can talk about them in the secondary!

Is the MSTP secondary the same as the MD secondary? Just want to know what areas of my life not to mention in the prelim so I can talk about them in the secondary!
It has the autobiography and then areas to explain research, clinical and volunteer! I'm not sure what the MD only one is like, but if you PM me I can tell you specifics when I get to a computer! (I'm on my phone)

The residency office for WA students moves very quickly. My documents arrived at their office yesterday (based on USPS tracking) and I just got the email that I'm still considered a resident for tuition purposes! Just thought I'd share that for others going through the same process.

For anyone who applied MSTP, how did you use the section that asked you to supplement your AMCAS personal comments? Did you just leave it blank?

Alright....so question on residency verification for those of you who receive less than 50% of financial support, and are actually independent on your taxes. We are required to send tax returns for 2012 and 2013 (which I do have both as an independent) and parents tax return for 2013 to show you are not listed as their dependent (which I also have). My tax returns are about 16 pages each year and my parents is around 65 pages.

For those of you who are completely financially independent, what tax pages did you submit from your return/parent's return to get verified?

I already called the residency verification office and she that tax returns should only be two pages each. Am I missing something here? My pdf of efile is at least 16 psges.

Thanks.

I have a question that maybe someone on here can answer. I was a WA resident and got my Biochem degree at UW. I recently moved to Indianapolis 4 months ago and got an Indiana drivers license and plan to put Indiana as my state of residency on my application. Because I only recently moved, if I called the UWSOM admissions office and spoke with them, would they consider my application from a WA resident standpoint (so consider me an IS applicant) or is it pointless to call and ask because my application has Indiana listed as my state of residency?

Alright....so question on residency verification for those of you who receive less than 50% of financial support, and are actually independent on your taxes. We are required to send tax returns for 2012 and 2013 (which I do have both as an independent) and parents tax return for 2013 to show you are not listed as their dependent (which I also have). My tax returns are about 16 pages each year and my parents is around 65 pages.

For those of you who are completely financially independent, what tax pages did you submit from your return/parent's return to get verified?

I already called the residency verification office and she that tax returns should only be two pages each. Am I missing something here? My pdf of efile is at least 16 psges.

Thanks.
The same thing happens to me every year for the scholarship application. My mom is self employed and has to fill out like 30 pages for taxes. The first year, since I wasn't in Seattle, I just mailed the the entire packet of tax information to UW and they took what they needed. The following year, I just took them everything in person and they picked what they wanted. They picked the sheets that just had the numbers, not the proof of where those numbers come from. So they ignored the itemized deductions, the business losses, the car loan sheet, etc. and just wanted the front pages. But that still doesn't stop me from giving them everything because I would rather give too much than not enough.

I have a question that maybe someone on here can answer. I was a WA resident and got my Biochem degree at UW. I recently moved to Indianapolis 4 months ago and got an Indiana drivers license and plan to put Indiana as my state of residency on my application. Because I only recently moved, if I called the UWSOM admissions office and spoke with them, would they consider my application from a WA resident standpoint (so consider me an IS applicant) or is it pointless to call and ask because my application has Indiana listed as my state of residency?

I would call and ask, but I'm guessing they won't consider you a resident. I went to school in Oregon for my post-bacc, and it was tough trying to prove my residency for the year I was gone as a full time student. Usually if you take steps to become a resident of another state, they don't consider you a resident of Washington anymore. If you are a full time student in another state, and make no steps to become a resident of that state (i.e. get a new drivers license, vote there, register your car, etc), then you can demonstrate that you maintained your Washington residency out of state. It also helps if you have evidence that you continue to come back to WA to spend money, and hang out....but that's just my experience.

Have any OOS non-MSTP people received secondaries?

I would call and ask, but I'm guessing they won't consider you a resident. I went to school in Oregon for my post-bacc, and it was tough trying to prove my residency for the year I was gone as a full time student. Usually if you take steps to become a resident of another state, they don't consider you a resident of Washington anymore. If you are a full time student in another state, and make no steps to become a resident of that state (i.e. get a new drivers license, vote there, register your car, etc), then you can demonstrate that you maintained your Washington residency out of state. It also helps if you have evidence that you continue to come back to WA to spend money, and hang out....but that's just my experience.

I forgot to mention that I still work in Washington state (I work remotely now, but the Dermatology practice is in Seattle and I fly back and forth every couple months) and my car is still WA registered, but I have an Indiana license and my med school application has Indiana as my state of residency. Do they only send residency verifications to those who have listed WA on their application? I will call the admissions office and talk to them on Monday. I'm hoping that the fact I still work in WA will help?

I forgot to mention that I still work in Washington state (I work remotely now, but the Dermatology practice is in Seattle and I fly back and forth every couple months) and my car is still WA registered, but I have an Indiana license and my med school application has Indiana as my state of residency. Do they only send residency verifications to those who have listed WA on their application? I will call the admissions office and talk to them on Monday. I'm hoping that the fact I still work in WA will help?

I think it may be an uphill battle trying to convince them of your WA residency after you switched. If it's only been 4 months of work, was there some perk to becoming another state's resident? I worked for 12 months in Portland, Oregon and still held onto my Idaho residency and it wasn't a problem to them. I still paid their income tax, after all.

Last edited:
I submitted my essays / all the things you have to fill in, but the LORs are indicated as "not received" on the status page. AMCAS has them; should I be worried? I haven't taken the check to the office yet.

OOS applicant, rejected pre-secondary. Probably because of my multiple mcat (average is crap)

Good luck to everyone who received secondary!:)

OOS, pre-secondary rejection

LizzyM ~70, MCAT >32, GPA > 3.6

OOS pre-secondary rejection! 35 MCAT, 3.9+ GPA

I guess they weren't kidding when they put this on their website: "Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

Email rejection. Good luck everyone. I'm sure that this is an amazing school.

Last edited:
OOR applicants: when were you verified? I am waiting to receive the axe