2014-2015 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my essays / all the things you have to fill in, but the LORs are indicated as "not received" on the status page. AMCAS has them; should I be worried? I haven't taken the check to the office yet.

I think they are just really backed up? I submitted my check/essays last week and all my other schools got my LORs at the beginning of July but I still have them as 'not received' on the UW status page...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was verified in mid-June, so my app was sent right away to them. I got an email about a week ago saying they received my app and it was under initial review, rejected today (OOR, 35, 3.9+). Good luck to everyone applying! I had no idea OOR screenings were this competitive, I'd be curious to hear the stats/ECs/etc. of those OORers who did get secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Working on my residency verification (Washington resident), submitting secondary essays soon.
I'm a bit nervous as I messed up my MCAT with a 27 (7/11/9), GPA is good
I have about 3000 hours of clinical experience working in the hospital and a fairly diverse amount of volunteering experience with leadership.
Any thoughts about whether or not I should retake the MCAT? I'm quite busy working full time and I'm still volunteering so I'm a bit nervous about retaking, though I was scoring in the low 30's on my practice tests before my exam. I'm very passionate about my experiences and am appreciative that UW takes a much more holistic approach to admission from what I've heard, but I'd really hate for my MCAT to hold me back. Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Working on my residency verification (Washington resident), submitting secondary essays soon.
I'm a bit nervous as I messed up my MCAT with a 27 (7/11/9), GPA is good at 3.89/3.87.
I have about 3000 hours of clinical experience working in the hospital and a fairly diverse amount of volunteering experience with leadership.
I grew up in a rural town and am the first in my family to get a Bachelor's, which I guess classifies me as SES EO1 on AMCAS, though I'm not 100% sure about how they do those designations. Any thoughts about whether or not I should retake the MCAT? I'm quite busy working full time and I'm still volunteering so I'm a bit nervous about retaking, though I was scoring in the low 30's on my practice tests before my exam. I'm very passionate about my experiences and am appreciative that UW takes a much more holistic approach to admission from what I've heard, but I'd really hate for my MCAT to hold me back. Good luck everybody!

I think it's up to you if you want to retake it or not. If you are confident that you could score higher then I'd say take it again.
That being said, your GPA and ECs look fairly solid and if you look at the MCAT/GPA chart (http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs#mcat) people in your range have gotten in!

hi all, i have a question. For reapplicants, do you have to rewrite all the secondary prompts? There is that "what makes you a stronger applicant?" prompt, so thats new information to be provided..then do I still need to change the answers to the other questions completely?? Thanks!

hi all, i have a question. For reapplicants, do you have to rewrite all the secondary prompts? There is that "what makes you a stronger applicant?" prompt, so thats new information to be provided..then do I still need to change the answers to the other questions completely?? Thanks!

I changed all of mine, but ultimately it's a personal decision. A whole year has passed, so I had additional stuff to add in, and figured it would look lazy if I didn't want to re-write it.

Anyone else's letters marked as "not received"? My letters have been with AMCAS since the end of June...

Mine still says "not received" Im still waiting too, im thinking of calling them tomorrow
IS 3.63cGPA. 3.67sGPA, 30MCAT, great EC

Mine still says "not received" Im still waiting too, im thinking of calling them tomorrow
Anyone else's letters marked as "not received"? My letters have been with AMCAS since the end of June...
Hey! FWIW, mine took about 20 days to be received... For md phd but I believe it's the same system

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my residence information for residence on 7/22 and just got an email my status had been verified today! Yet to get the update to my status pg through UW though

Last edited:
I submitted my residence information for Idaho residence on 7/22 and just got an email my status had been verified today! Yet to get the update to my status pg through UW though

Took about a day or two for me. Office is pretty good about updating!

Does anyone know how long it took for their LOR to update on the status pg.... Mine haven't for a week and the website says 4-6 wks so i was just wondering if it was any faster than that.

Have any more OOR-ers heard back from U of W? I know they sent out some rejections, but I'm curious if anyone survived the screening or has been sitting in silence like myself :)

Have any more OOR-ers heard back from U of W? I know they sent out some rejections, but I'm curious if anyone survived the screening or has been sitting in silence like myself :)
OOS also sitting in silence since the initial email. The people who got rejected blow me out of the water with stats, so who really knows!

OOS also sitting in silence since the initial email. The people who got rejected blow me out of the water with stats, so who really knows!

I was shocked they cut people with impressive stats so early! I wonder if they start their screening with the superstars and then work their way down?

Last year they sent out secondaries to OORers around 7/27, so hopefully some secondaries vs. rejections will come out soon

Just got an application complete email 5 days after submitting my secondary and having my residency information complete.

OOS. I was verified on 6/11, and received their "we have to review your application to determine if we send you a secondary" email on 7/11. Received a secondary today.

Is the "reapplicant" question on the secondary pertaining to a general reapplicant (meaning I have not applied to UWash in a previous cycle) or to a reapplicant specific to UWash (meaning I applied here last cycle)?

Thanks!

Just saw that UW is implementing their new curriculum 2015. I think I'm partially happy that I'm re-applying. The 1.5 yr curriculum looks beautiful!

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
OOR Received secondary 7/30! GPA< 3.5, MCAT > 35, LizzyM < 70. Tons of ECs and work with underserved communities. Really surprised because of my low numbers and OOR status. Do they give out a lot of OOR secondaries?

OOR Received secondary 7/30! GPA< 3.5, MCAT > 35, LizzyM < 70. Tons of ECs and work with underserved communities. Really surprised because of my low numbers and OOR status. Do they give out a lot of OOR secondaries?

I got one, and my stats are lower than yours. I'm just glad there's something they like in my app. lol

Still no secondary...verified 7/21/14. Mcat a day later...OOS 3.8+/38+

Anyone else get an email encouraging TRUST applicants? Wondering if they send that out to everyone
Yes I got one too. Glad to see other people are interested in the program. Seems like a slam dunk for those of us wanting to stick to our small town roots.

Are yours marked as received yet? Mine are still not received...getting slightly concered since I submitted on 7/11 and my recidency was verified shortly after. I might call them...

Can someone post the essay prompts for TRUST?

Directly from the Secondary application:

All are 250 words or less.

1. Please describe why you desire to participate in the TRUST program. Given your experience to date, which specialty is most interesting to you and where would you like to practice?

2. Currently, all states offers rural and small city experiences. However, all TRUST scholars have some exposure to both rural and urban experiences during the four-year curriculum.

Applicants for the TRUST program must understand that pre-matriculation experiences might be anywhere in your state. The TRUST committee will work with you on site selection for these experiences and for your first year placement.

Please indicate whether you would prefer to have a rural or small city experience and provide an explanation for your choice.

3. Please identify the rural and underserved areas wherein you have lived/worked for more than two months (community name, population, state and dates lived in that community).

4. Are there any concerns you have about entering medical school as a TRUST scholar?

Just saw that UW is implementing their new curriculum 2015. I think I'm partially happy that I'm re-applying. The 1.5 yr curriculum looks beautiful!

Could you post a link for the 1.5 yr curriculumn you are referring to? I know that they are changing to 18 months at the regional site before clinical rotations, but I haven't seen any detailed information.

Ugh, they've had my app for a month and still nothing...

Could you post a link for the 1.5 yr curriculumn you are referring to? I know that they are changing to 18 months at the regional site before clinical rotations, but I haven't seen any detailed information.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/curriculum-renewal

And here is the overall page! The links of interest are embedded in the block of text. Definitely excited for the new curriculum - hopefully we all get to experience it!

On another note - could a current student with experience with WA pre-clinical years comment on the availability of research opportunities at the Spokane site/if that's an option? Thanks!

Yes I got one too. Glad to see other people are interested in the program. Seems like a slam dunk for those of us wanting to stick to our small town roots.

Can anyone comment on how tough would it be to pursue an MD/MPH in addition to being in the TRUST program? Would the combination even be possible?

I had a question about residency verification. I am a Washington resident and the Residency Verification of my secondary application says Not Applicable. And in the instructions below it only says that Washington residents should be prepared to prove their residency at any time. Does this mean that I dont have to do anything till I receive further instructions from UW? Did other Washington residents have to verify their residency?

I had a question about residency verification. I am a Washington resident and the Residency Verification of my secondary application says Not Applicable. And in the instructions below it only says that Washington residents should be prepared to prove their residency at any time. Does this mean that I dont have to do anything till I receive further instructions from UW? Did other Washington residents have to verify their residency?

Correct, you don't have to do anything else. I am also a WA resident and my app says "not applicable" for that section as well.

When you submit your residency questionnaire they decide whether to request more information, from what I can tell. I received a longer Residency Verification form by email a week or two later after they determined they wanted more information.

Any idea how long it takes for letters to be downloaded/be complete?

Any idea how long it takes for letters to be downloaded/be complete?
I submitted my letters to amcas on 7/4 and they were marked as received today (8/7). It might take a while for your letter to show up.

Secondary submitted, Idaho residency verified, payment rec'd, etc. Just waiting on two more letters.

Six individual letters = lots of reminders and coordination. Hopefully this will be the last time to ask for LOR's until residency.

Secondary submitted, Idaho residency verified, payment rec'd, etc. Just waiting on two more letters.

Six individual letters = lots of reminders and coordination. Hopefully this will be the last time to ask for LOR's until residency.
How long did it take for the payment to be recorded?

How long did it take for the payment to be recorded?

Took mine about 2-3 business days. Back in mid-July though.

Edit: On a similar note, how long did it take for letters to be received? Would love to be complete!

Last edited: