You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 West Virginia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did all of you guys that got interview invites have your letters in all already? I just submitted the secondary but my letters won't be in until maybe the end of this week, is there a chance I hear from them without my letters being in?
My letters are not in and I received an II.
When did you guys submit? I submitted on 7/13 and nothing here. Idk why -_- ughhh
I submitted 7/6 so they probably just haven't gotten to you yet. Don't worry!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks HopefulDoc12! It is just frustrating when people submitting after you (w/o letters too) start getting II makes you wonder if you are rejected :/I submitted 7/6 so they probably just haven't gotten to you yet. Don't worry!
Received II today, sent in my secondary 24 hours ago on a Sunday. These guys are fast.
Just received a II as well- scheduled for 10/2! Submitted my secondary on 7/17 and my committee hasn't uploaded their letters either
OOS, 29 MCAT, cGPA 3.59 sGPA, 3.53, masters degree
OOS, 29 MCAT, cGPA 3.59 sGPA, 3.53, masters degree
My application got verified on 7/14, and I still haven't received any email from the school in terms of a secondary. I'm OOS.
How long does it usually take to receive a secondary (or any notification for that mater) from the school after your app has been verified?
How long does it usually take to receive a secondary (or any notification for that mater) from the school after your app has been verified?
II and will be there in Oct!
Sorry to hear 🙁 that. Good luck with the rest of the application process, I am sure you will get into a great school.Just got rejected. Good luck everyone!
Yeah, but I noticed that for OSS, they interview about 700 people for only 40 spots so even though we got an II, those are some slim odds. 🙁
I know which is so stupid! -_- 700 for 40 whhhYYyyyYyyY?!Yeah, but I noticed that for OSS, they interview about 700 people for only 40 spots so even though we got an II, those are some slim odds. 🙁
Good luck to everyone applying! Just got a secondary today! Verified 7/17
That sounds crazy, where did you see that?Yeah, but I noticed that for OSS, they interview about 700 people for only 40 spots so even though we got an II, those are some slim odds. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's on MSAR under the acceptance information tab: II to 694 applicants and 36 matriculated.. eeks. That is really weird -_-
It's on MSAR under the acceptance information tab: II to 694 applicants and 36 matriculated.. eeks. That is really weird -_-
Possibly they accepted ~100 OOS kids and only ~40 matriculated. WVU is an expensive school for OOS (~53,000/year), so OOS applicants with multiple acceptances may have been inclined to go elsewhere.
Alternatively they really like to interview OOS kids to find those whose ideals match WVU's.
II scheduled for 9/15, I'll take the slim chances
It's like 70/524 acceptances extended according to usnews
70 IS/524 OOS??? Or 70 out of 524 interviewed?
70 IS/524 OOS??? Or 70 out of 524 interviewed?
70 OOS acceptances out of 524 OOS interviewed
What is the point of them sending so many II then? -_-70 OOS acceptances out of 524 OOS interviewed
I just got the secondary!
I think they probably accept alot more OOS and that's just how many of them actually matriculated. They probably accepted around 100+ or so
I think they probably accept alot more OOS and that's just how many of them actually matriculated. They probably accepted around 100+ or so
It's like 70/524 acceptances extended according to usnews
Hmm I would imagine it is more than that... If they on avg matriculate 40 OOS, only extending 70 invitations that is cutting it really close. That means they are expecting more than 60% of your acceptances to be matriculates... I would imagine you would want 3-5x as many acceptances to spots you hope to fill. I could be completely wrong though i have no idea what i am talking about!
Hope this is true. It seems rather pointless to interview nearly 700 peeps. I am sure not a whole lotta people would wanna go here over places like CA, NY, TX, etc.. But then again since they put 90% of the OOS applicants on waitlists anything can happen..Hmm I would imagine it is more than that... If they on avg matriculate 40 OOS, only extending 70 invitations that is cutting it really close. That means they are expecting more than 60% of your acceptances to be matriculates... I would imagine you would want 3-5x as many acceptances to spots you hope to fill. I could be completely wrong though i have no idea what i am talking about!
I just got the secondary!
I think they probably accept alot more OOS and that's just how many of them actually matriculated. They probably accepted around 100+ or so
Well, usnews claims 70 acceptances were offered (only 33 matriculated). If you're right and this isn't the case then I'd be paying for a bs service. Lame situation either way.
Last edited:
Hmm I would imagine it is more than that... If they on avg matriculate 40 OOS, only extending 70 invitations that is cutting it really close. That means they are expecting more than 60% of your acceptances to be matriculates... I would imagine you would want 3-5x as many acceptances to spots you hope to fill. I could be completely wrong though i have no idea what i am talking about!
Keep in mind that the "invitations" include acceptance offers off of the waitlist. They can throw out 40 invites and then go from there depending on how many decide to matriculate. They don't necessarily have to throw out 3-5x the number of spots especially when dealing with OOS people.
I dug out my MSAR (hard copy) edition 2012-2013, and they give you statistics for the 2010-2011 year (2 years prior -_-) and they were as follows:
OOS apps: 2341
Interviewed: 262
Matriculated: 40
Way better odds here and this seems more reasonable.
So the current MSAR on the website could be for 2012-2013 year I am assuming..
OOS apps: 2341
Interviewed: 262
Matriculated: 40
Way better odds here and this seems more reasonable.
So the current MSAR on the website could be for 2012-2013 year I am assuming..
Keep in mind that the "invitations" include acceptance offers off of the waitlist. They can throw out 40 invites and then go from there depending on how many decide to matriculate. They don't necessarily have to throw out 3-5x the number of spots especially when dealing with OOS people.
I agree with this... This is the only way 70 acceptances would be feasible if they were offered after May 15th to mostly wait listed candidates. However, even then if they plan on interviewing 700 applicants and only offering an acceptance to 1/10 seems a bit unusual, AFAIK most schools the acceptance % is closer to 35% if you get II.
I lurked the WV thread last year and there were individuals who were offered straight acceptances OOS after the interview so it's possible!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, instead of worrying about the odds (ironic, since I brought it up anyway)--since medical school isn't a straight lottery, I was wondering what you guys thought they see as one of the most important factors in their interview? Desire to go to WVU? Commitment to community service? After all, if they invited 700 people how are they planning on distinguishing between them?
to continue on with spark's question…
does anyone know if WVU does open file interview? as in, do the interviewers have your entire file sitting in front of them...
does anyone know if WVU does open file interview? as in, do the interviewers have your entire file sitting in front of them...
I'm 99% sure it's open file. They can ask you about grades, MCAT, ECs, etc.to continue on with spark's question…
does anyone know if WVU does open file interview? as in, do the interviewers have your entire file sitting in front of them...
@Mountaineer12 thanks! I figure most schools are open file
I submitted my whole app several days ago and just got an email that my secondary fee hasn't been paid-- whereas the money has been withdrawn from my account, just the site says it hasn't "shipped" it to WVU yet. Strange. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do?
I submitted my whole app several days ago and just got an email that my secondary fee hasn't been paid-- whereas the money has been withdrawn from my account, just the site says it hasn't "shipped" it to WVU yet. Strange. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do?
The most logical thing to do would be to contact the Admissions Office: 304-293-1439 or via the email ([email protected]).
Yup-- it was technical difficulties on there end; their admissions coordinator caught it when she double checked. Just wanted to throw that in for anyone who hadn't received an II yet and was curious as to why-- I just scheduled mine 🙂 WV is so expensive to fly into though!The most logical thing to do would be to contact the Admissions Office: 304-293-1439 or via the email ([email protected]).
I'm driving down 8 hours, but I will try to enjoy the scenery 😛Yup-- it was technical difficulties on there end; their admissions coordinator caught it when she double checked. Just wanted to throw that in for anyone who hadn't received an II yet and was curious as to why-- I just scheduled mine 🙂 WV is so expensive to fly into though!
Last edited:
No that email is useless. I would use the medadmissions@.... one. The secondaryapP@ email is exclusive for secondary material submission. (for furture folks to keep in mind)The most logical thing to do would be to contact the Admissions Office: 304-293-1439 or via the email ([email protected]).
Submitted my app at 12 PM, got the II 4 hours later! I submitted the secondary a few days after the 2-week deadline, and was pretty worried.
You still got other chances! Good luck to you!Just got rejected. Good luck everyone!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are a few that are blind and strictly based on your interview. Ohio State is one of them, but I know there are a couple others. I find it interesting because it's like your interview depends strictly on your interview skills.@Mountaineer12 thanks! I figure most schools are open file
I'm driving down from NY. 8 hours, but I will try to enjoy the scenery 😛
Thank goodness I live in MD. It's a 4-6 hour drive for me lol
When are you guys going for interviews? I'm heading out on the 10/17 date, PM me if you have the same date!
There's always the option of flying into Pittsburgh and renting a car or taking one of the buses to Morgantown. Just thought for you or anyone else that might be trying to save a few bucks on travel!Yup-- it was technical difficulties on there end; their admissions coordinator caught it when she double checked. Just wanted to throw that in for anyone who hadn't received an II yet and was curious as to why-- I just scheduled mine 🙂 WV is so expensive to fly into though!
Thank goodness I live in MD. It's a 4-6 hour drive for me lol
Im for MD too, straight shot on 70. hopefully traffic isn't bad!