2015-2016 Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected last week via status update. Not entirely surprised based on my career choices. Best of luck everyone!

Do you mean what you wrote for the career essay? If you don't mind me asking, what did you write?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both CT and UT II this morning! Ecstatic!
Complete 8/3

Got an e-mail telling me and to then choose dates from iapply.

Reactions: 4 users
Why are some people getting emails for their interviews and others only get a status change? I know mine didn't go to spam because I made a new email for applications and have been managing it very carefully.

Interview season is now under way. This was CCLCM's first week of interviews. To those who have been invited for interviews, PLEASE re-read all of your essays, know your application, and be able to articulate your research. To those still waiting for IIs, please be patient. There are plenty of applications that are still coming in, and every single application is reviewed. Abundant interview slots are still available. As stated earlier, about 250 interviews will be granted. If you have been put on hold at this point, don't despair as you may still be one of the 250 invited for interviews. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 13 users
II!!!!! I also got a II for Case Western University.

Reactions: 4 users
No College interview, but I did get a UT II so I'm not going to complain! Hopefully see some of you dual-invitees there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Silent rejection this morning via portal, after being on "hold for future review/decision" for quite a while. I already have an II for the University track though so it's all good! :cool:

Kind of numb right now... Got an II for both CT and UT! Sorry to those who did not get one and wish you the best on your other applications/interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
It's generally well received but absolutely not required or necessary. Thank you cards and emails are sent to the admissions office and then redistributed to the individual interviewers. Please continue to be patient as we are still scheduling interviews. Best of luck to all.

Reactions: 3 users
Was put on hold earlier in September for CT, complete 9/1. Good luck to you all!!

Has anyone on here interviewed yet? Care to share your impressions?
Thanks!

No way! UT/CT II this morning!
So incredibly awesome!

Is CT rolling? I'm trying to figure out whether to book my interview ASAP or wait till I have done a few more interviews

Well it has a set of admissions prior to december and then one in march/april.

Hi @adcom101! If I am on hold for CT (since late August), do you know if it would help for me to send in (maybe via email?) a very brief letter of interest, perhaps in the context of a minor research update? I am truly honored to still be under consideration for CT and can definitely be just keep waiting if that would be best, so I don't meant to seem pushy/impatient. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any opportunities that might help the committee know of my interest. Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Hoping for some movement on the hold list soon :p

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @adcom101! If I am on hold for CT (since late August), do you know if it would help for me to send in (maybe via email?) a very brief letter of interest, perhaps in the context of a minor research update? I am truly honored to still be under consideration for CT and can definitely be just keep waiting if that would be best, so I don't meant to seem pushy/impatient. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any opportunities that might help the committee know of my interest. Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Hoping for some movement on the hold list soon :p

I am not sure that sending a letter of interest will significantly benefit your overall application. I think that applying to a unique program like CCLCM indicates to us that you are absolutley interested in our program. However, if you have had a publication or submitted an article for publication, then yes, email the admissions committee as an update.

Yeah, I remembered something about decisions in December.
This is true. The first 16 acceptances will be offered in the second week of December. The second 16 acceptances will be offered in the second week of February. Keep in mind that about 40-45 acceptances are generally offered to fill class of 32. Last year, 9 of the first 16 acceptances matriculated to CCLCM. So, you still have a very good chance of being accepted even if you interview in December and January. The last date for interviews for CT is February 1, 2016. Wishing all the best to those applying here and elsewhere.

Thank you for the advice, @adcom101! I have not yet sent anything in because I do not have any publication updates, but I did give a couple of presentations recently. I don't think they were significant enough to warrant an update, and I did figure that CCLCM is aware of my interest :) I think I'll just keep waiting it out! Thanks again for the input!

This is true. The first 16 acceptances will be offered in the second week of December. The second 16 acceptances will be offered in the second week of February. Keep in mind that about 40-45 acceptances are generally offered to fill class of 32. Last year, 9 of the first 16 acceptances matriculated to CCLCM. So, you still have a very good chance of being accepted even if you interview in December and January. The last date for interviews for CT is February 1, 2016. Wishing all the best to those applying here and elsewhere.

Hi @adcom101

I know everyone is anxiously waiting, and if this question is not appropriate to ask, please ignore it :)

For those of us who have been complete for a while, but have not been put on hold, what does this mean as far as the process goes? Will we be looked at again later? Again, if you can't speak to inner workings of the process, I completely understand!

Reactions: 2 users
I am not sure that sending a letter of interest will significantly benefit your overall application. I think that applying to a unique program like CCLCM indicates to us that you are absolutley interested in our program. However, if you have had a publication or submitted an article for publication, then yes, email the admissions committee as an update.

Hi @adcom101,

Thanks so much for your input! I am also on hold right now for the College Track and I actually just received word that a paper I submitted has been accepted for publication. I'm wondering what information would be beneficial to give to the Admissions Committee? I'm not sure yet when the paper will actually be published (in what issue, etc.) since I just got the notification of its acceptance this week. Is the title/author/journal enough to send an update or should I wait for more information?

Thanks again!

Hi @adcom101

I know everyone is anxiously waiting, and if this question is not appropriate to ask, please ignore it :)

For those of us who have been complete for a while, but have not been put on hold, what does this mean as far as the process goes? Will we be looked at again later? Again, if you can't speak to inner workings of the process, I completely understand!

The deadline for secondary applications is December 15. As long as your app is active, anything can happen. If there are late arriving stellar applications in November (which I doubt), then the chances of getting an II is of low probability. Only 250 II are given and the interview schedule for January is still relativley open. I suspect that there will be a lot of movement in the next 4-6 weeks.

Hi @adcom101,

Thanks so much for your input! I am also on hold right now for the College Track and I actually just received word that a paper I submitted has been accepted for publication. I'm wondering what information would be beneficial to give to the Admissions Committee? I'm not sure yet when the paper will actually be published (in what issue, etc.) since I just got the notification of its acceptance this week. Is the title/author/journal enough to send an update or should I wait for more information?

Thanks again!

Congrats on the publication! You can update via email the title/author/journal. "Accepted for publication" certainly carries more weight than "Submitted for publication."

The deadline for secondary applications is December 15. As long as your app is active, anything can happen. If there are late arriving stellar applications in November (which I doubt), then the chances of getting an II is of low probability. Only 250 II are given and the interview schedule for January is still relativley open. I suspect that there will be a lot of movement in the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the input!

Hi @adcom101

Are the December acceptances based on interview dates or is it based on some sort of rank?

In case of the former, what interview date (or range) would be within the timeline for a December decision?

Bad timing on my part, I think.... rejected CT via portal (no email). Just noticed about 30 minutes ago and I definitely checked earlier today, so it happened pretty recently. I'm crushed because this was a top program choice for me, as I was expressing earlier on this very thread. However, I am glad that it will open up a spot for someone else to interview, and I wish you all the very best of luck!!!
(Complete 7/16, originally placed on hold at the end of August)

EDIT: Received and email notifying me of change to portal status the next morning.

Last edited:
Hi @adcom101

Are the December acceptances based on interview dates or is it based on some sort of rank?

In case of the former, what interview date (or range) would be within the timeline for a December decision?

Every interviewed applicants are discussed by the committee every two weeks and are voted upon by the committee (MD, PhD, and med students). I can't go into details but this is an engaging discussion. The files are open and other committee members will question the interviewers about your application - "did you ask him/her about this... did you ask him/her about that, etc." As an interviewer, you really need to know your interviewee. You don't want to look like a fool in front of the other committee members. The interviewer can really advocate for you and your application is therefore going to be viewed higher by others in the committee. Once applicants are vetted through this process, and your application is still "alive" or active (some interviewees can be rejected after these meetings), you will be ranked in the first week of December #1-16. The PI's are contacted by CCLCM to discuss your research activities to verify your involvement with their lab. Those ranked #17 and higher will "survive" until the first week of February where all active applicants will then be re-ranked #17-32.

Hope this information helps. This is a very time consuming process. We want to be sure that those offered acceptances really match the mission of CCLCM, and not only fit, but thrive as a medical student within the curriculum of CCLCM. For those who have been rejected, don't lose hope. You will be accepted elsewhere and I am sure you will be a great fit for that med school. Best to all.

Every interviewed applicants are discussed by the committee every two weeks and are voted upon by the committee (MD, PhD, and med students). I can't go into details but this is an engaging discussion. The files are open and other committee members will question the interviewers about your application - "did you ask him/her about this... did you ask him/her about that, etc." As an interviewer, you really need to know your interviewee. You don't want to look like a fool in front of the other committee members. The interviewer can really advocate for you and your application is therefore going to be viewed higher by others in the committee. Once applicants are vetted through this process, and your application is still "alive" or active (some interviewees can be rejected after these meetings), you will be ranked in the first week of December #1-16. The PI's are contacted by CCLCM to discuss your research activities to verify your involvement with their lab. Those ranked #17 and higher will "survive" until the first week of February where all active applicants will then be re-ranked #17-32.

Hope this information helps. This is a very time consuming process. We want to be sure that those offered acceptances really match the mission of CCLCM, and not only fit, but thrive as a medical student within the curriculum of CCLCM. For those who have been rejected, don't lose hope. You will be accepted elsewhere and I am sure you will be a great fit for that med school. Best to all.

This is great information!; thanks for shedding some light on the process.

Would you have some idea of the last interview dates that would be up for discussion and 1-16 ranking for the December decision?

As well, PIs will only be contacted for all applicants who are vetted to proceed to the ranking stage?

This is great information!; thanks for shedding some light on the process.

Would you have some idea of the last interview dates that would be up for discussion and 1-16 ranking for the December decision?

As well, PIs will only be contacted for all applicants who are vetted to proceed to the ranking stage?

Probably through November 30. Only the PIs of those candidates ranked (#1-16, and then #17-32) will be called. Essentially, a discussion with your PI will have to take place before an official offer is made.

Hi @adcom101, would it be possible to send an update letter even though I have not had a status update (hold or II) since being marked as complete? I have a paper that was listed as submitted on my AMCAS but has since been accepted. I would like to inform the committee of this and send a link for them to review the abstract and paper if needed.

Thank you!

One of my interviewers ran out of time, and thus had to skip past most of the research questions they wanted to ask. Hoping that they can still advocate for me, haha!

If we are rejected after these meetings/discussions, will we possibly be informed before mid-December?

Hi @adcom101, would it be possible to send an update letter even though I have not had a status update (hold or II) since being marked as complete? I have a paper that was listed as submitted on my AMCAS but has since been accepted. I would like to inform the committee of this and send a link for them to review the abstract and paper if needed.

Thank you!

Congrats on the publication! That's great news! You can email the admissions committee with the reference.

One of my interviewers ran out of time, and thus had to skip past most of the research questions they wanted to ask. Hoping that they can still advocate for me, haha!

If we are rejected after these meetings/discussions, will we possibly be informed before mid-December?

Yes, you will be notified if your application was rejected. If you are not rejected, and you are not one of the first 16 offerred admissions, you are still in the running for the the #17-32 slots.