2018-2019 Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you both for your responses! Going to stock up on some comfy dress pants

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That does thank you! Would you be able to comment on second look at all? We haven't gotten any specifics yet and i know some people including myself were wondering on what to wear. Wasn't sure if it was a business casual type of thing or more business professional.

I'm glad it helped! Regarding Second Look, I'm sure you've heard of this before, but treat it like a second interview. Business casual, but a little more on the business side, if that makes sense. That will be your best bet. They do invite you to a relatively formal reception (at the Foundation House) during the Second Look where you meet faculty and the administrators, and believe or not, people are still watching you. I did hear from an administrator myself afterwards how she liked me talking about such and such topic during Second Look, so speaking from personal experience.

That being said, when you socialize e.g. for Bowling with current students on the first day of Second Look, have fun but still be professional there too (common sense - don't drink too much, be considerate of others), and don't tire yourself out. I personally went to my hotel room and slept, so that I could be ready for an early start the next day (something like 7am). During my Second Look it was fairly chilly too, so please check the weather. Wearing in layers is best, if feasible.

Make sure you balance your energy level, so that you can use the opportunity to ask questions and show genuine interest, and be enthusiastic. I had a very positive experience during my Second Look and I met really great people who remembered me when I matriculated. I hope it goes well for all of you :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad it helped! Regarding Second Look, I'm sure you've heard of this before, but treat it like a second interview. Business casual, but a little more on the business side, if that makes sense. That will be your best bet. They do invite you to a relatively formal reception (at the Foundation House) during the Second Look where you meet faculty and the administrators, and believe or not, people are still watching you. I did hear from an administrator myself afterwards how she liked me talking about such and such topic during Second Look, so speaking from personal experience.

That being said, when you socialize e.g. for Bowling with current students on the first day of Second Look, have fun but still be professional there too (common sense - don't drink too much, be considerate of others), and don't tire yourself out. I personally went to my hotel room and slept, so that I could be ready for an early start the next day (something like 7am). During my Second Look it was fairly chilly too, so please check the weather. Wearing in layers is best, if feasible.

Make sure you balance your energy level, so that you can use the opportunity to ask questions and show genuine interest, and be enthusiastic. I had a very positive experience during my Second Look and I met really great people who remembered me when I matriculated. I hope it goes well for all of you :)

Not gonna lie it sounds a little stressful but I'll try and enjoy myself while being conscious of all that. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much for your time- this was extremely helpful. Do you have any specific numbers on the typical success of an alternate applicant ultimately getting admitted? Could you share your experience??

Again, thank you!

Not gonna lie it sounds a little stressful but I'll try and enjoy myself while being conscious of all that. Thanks again!
Eeek, I didn't mean to stress you out! It's definitely more chilled than the actual interview, and you get to tour Cleveland on a trolley and the reception is definitely better than the interview lunch. Yes, please do try to have fun - I just wanted you to have an early great start while you get a similarly great and positive impression of CCLCM.

Thank you so much for your time- this was extremely helpful. Do you have any specific numbers on the typical success of an alternate applicant ultimately getting admitted? Could you share your experience??

Again, thank you!
Hi Latindoc2017,

I am probably not the best person since I don't know the exact stats - and I definitely don't want to raise any false hopes. But I know that my year at the time had a record number of applications, and similarly a very high number of 'turnover', meaning a good number of alternate applicants got in. My impression from the update (as current students you get to go to Dean's Update, or some sort of Dean's Address, where they introduce the incoming class to the CCLCM community) was that the school really tries to put together a diverse and well-functioning class. So I'm personally not sure of how a 'ranking' would actually work for the alternate list - because it's not just the grades or number of publications they look for but also experiences, your interests, your teaching style etc.

Sometimes accepted applicants defer as well, for opportunities like overseas scholarships (e.g. Fullbright), serving in the military, etc, which means you may or may not get an extra opening (i.e.. if deferred student is joining your class, one spot less, if someone is deferring, one spot more).

I know this is not a straight-forward answer and probably not that helpful. But with class of 32, I think each year they end up offering 40-45 spots. Being invited to Second Look is definitely a good sign though - it's an investment from the school and it's considered one of the major school events.

Hi Latindoc2017,

I am probably not the best person since I don't know the exact stats - and I definitely don't want to raise any false hopes. But I know that my year at the time had a record number of applications, and similarly a very high number of 'turnover', meaning a good number of alternate applicants got in. My impression from the update (as current students you get to go to Dean's Update, or some sort of Dean's Address, where they introduce the incoming class to the CCLCM community) was that the school really tries to put together a diverse and well-functioning class. So I'm personally not sure of how a 'ranking' would actually work for the alternate list - because it's not just the grades or number of publications they look for but also experiences, your interests, your teaching style etc.

Sometimes accepted applicants defer as well, for opportunities like overseas scholarships (e.g. Fullbright), serving in the military, etc, which means you may or may not get an extra opening (i.e.. if deferred student is joining your class, one spot less, if someone is deferring, one spot more).

I know this is not a straight-forward answer and probably not that helpful. But with class of 32, I think each year they end up offering 40-45 spots. Being invited to Second Look is definitely a good sign though - it's an investment from the school and it's considered one of the major school events.
Sooo being invited to second look but not being able to attend probably takes me out of consideration, right?

Hello everyone! I was recently admitted to CCLCM, which I'm very excited about. I'm highly interested in academic medicine/research and I think this program is awesome and I'm definitely very excited. I have two questions about "non-academic" life at CCLCM, if some current students would be able to chime in I'd appreciate it a lot!

- From interview day, my perception was that CCLCM has a very high focus on professionalism from the get go which is great. However, I am a little worried that it's maybe a bit too professional in the sense that you aren't in a traditional university setting, and it didn't seem like the most laid-back or "chill" environment. In addition, I am not too worried about the dress code per se, but more so the rest that comes along with, such as more formal interactions with peers and/or the feeling that you're constantly being watched/evaluated. Would someone be able to share their experiences with CCLCM in this regard and their general class dynamic?

- I'm really interested in translational science, but I'm also serving in an urban underserved location in engaging with health disparities in some manner. From what I've read, the Clinic has somewhat of a troublesome relationship with its neighbors, and the corporate environment of the hospital might not be the most conducive to underserved outreach, or this was my perception. Would someone be able to talk about their experiences with health disparities within and outside of the curriculum?

Appreciate your time in advance, looking forward to second look soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! I was recently admitted to CCLCM, which I'm very excited about. I'm highly interested in academic medicine/research and I think this program is awesome and I'm definitely very excited. I have two questions about "non-academic" life at CCLCM, if some current students would be able to chime in I'd appreciate it a lot!

- From interview day, my perception was that CCLCM has a very high focus on professionalism from the get go which is great. However, I am a little worried that it's maybe a bit too professional in the sense that you aren't in a traditional university setting, and it didn't seem like the most laid-back or "chill" environment. In addition, I am not too worried about the dress code per se, but more so the rest that comes along with, such as more formal interactions with peers and/or the feeling that you're constantly being watched/evaluated. Would someone be able to share their experiences with CCLCM in this regard and their general class dynamic?

- I'm really interested in translational science, but I'm also serving in an urban underserved location in engaging with health disparities in some manner. From what I've read, the Clinic has somewhat of a troublesome relationship with its neighbors, and the corporate environment of the hospital might not be the most conducive to underserved outreach, or this was my perception. Would someone be able to talk about their experiences with health disparities within and outside of the curriculum?

Appreciate your time in advance, looking forward to second look soon!
Current CCLCM M2 here.
-The professionalism piece basically means not wearing jeans, showing up on time to classes and turning stuff in on time, but outside of that stuff is pretty relaxed. Outside of PBL there's no feeling of being watched/evaluated, and the summer block helps prepare you to figure out what it means to participate in PBL (how to balance the different roles, adding jokes in your mini-presentations, etc.). Though the exact class dynamic varies on who is there, of course, I would say that the atmosphere is very chill and collaborative, especially since there isn't any kind of ranking. We like hanging out outside of class, whether it's hobbies, pickup basketball, class potlucks, local sports games, etc. In fact, there's a girl in our class who bakes a dessert item for each person on their birthday! I feel that I could text a question to anyone in my class, and it wouldn't feel weird to me regardless of who I messaged. Hopefully you're able to get a feel for the atmosphere firsthand at Second Look!

-I'm on a med student team doing health disparities research in Cleveland's Hispanic community, and we've received excellent faculty support from the school. I can't speak highly enough about our mentor, who has helped connect us with community and religious organizations whom we've partnered with to do focus groups. As for the corporate piece, I think on my end the biggest part is learning how to navigate it: there's much less red tape than traditional academic institutions and after pitching our focus group proposal to a couple of people in the CCF administration at a meeting, we received a significant amount of funding toward our project. At the same time, because the CCF is so large, sometimes we had to make sure we were using the right channels for project support (for example, figuring out whether to seek funding from the education department or the community outreach department).
-In the curriculum, systems based practice (including health justice and equity) is one of the core competencies, and is encompassed in various classes, such as PBL cases with social components, Art & Practice of Medicine, and in hands-on experiences in Longitudinal Clinic. I would say the characterization of a troublesome relationship with its neighbors is a little unfair (there is a lot of involvement in the community that isn't as high profile, such as work at the nearby John Hay High School), but at the same time I do believe that the Cleveland Clinic could be doing more in its neighborhood. At the sake of having a post that is too long, feel free to PM me if you would like to learn more about other health disparities-related activities my classmates and I are involved in or that the Cleveland Clinic/CCLCM are doing at the curriculum or institutional levels.

Sooo being invited to second look but not being able to attend probably takes me out of consideration, right?
Nope, a bunch of my classmates - including me - weren't able to attend Second Look, and we were accepted all the same. Second Look is more for the attendees to get a feel for the school than anything, which is especially important for CCLCM given the non-traditional nature of the school and small class size. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions answered that you would have liked to ask at Second Look!

I would disagree with the advice to treat Second Look "like a second interview", even if you are on the waitlist. Nobody is going to be taking notes on your Second Look "performance" or adjusting your spot on the rank list if you did "good" or "bad" at a lunch or panel session. That said, there was an accepted applicant a couple years ago who got very drunk at Second Look and punched a medical student, and as you can guess, this resulted in the applicant's acceptance being rescinded. Really, as long as you don't do something stupid, you'll be absolutely fine and there's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, a bunch of my classmates - including me - weren't able to attend Second Look, and we were accepted all the same. Second Look is more for the attendees to get a feel for the school than anything, which is especially important for CCLCM given the non-traditional nature of the school and small class size. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions answered that you would have liked to ask at Second Look!

I would disagree with the advice to treat Second Look "like a second interview", even if you are on the waitlist. Nobody is going to be taking notes on your Second Look "performance" or adjusting your spot on the rank list if you did "good" or "bad" at a lunch or panel session. That said, there was an accepted applicant a couple years ago who got very drunk at Second Look and punched a medical student, and as you can guess, this resulted in the applicant's acceptance being rescinded. Really, as long as you don't do something stupid, you'll be absolutely fine and there's nothing to worry about.

That's a relief to hear because i am waitlisted so a little stressed about it. I don't think I'll punch anyone in the face either so hopefully I'll be ok :p

• Haha
That's a relief to hear because i am waitlisted so a little stressed about it. I don't think I'll punch anyone in the face either so hopefully I'll be ok :p
I think you will all be fine - I hope you will have fun and enjoy Cleveland next week!

D. Y. described the chilled and friendly environment very well. When I was interviewing, the current students also had mentioned "being constantly watched" which I had bit of concern myself, but I can tell you that this "watching" is more of warm interest to get to know you better and to help you become better. So yeah, no need to worry about that. Same thing with Second Look - it's going to be a smaller crowd so you will get to know people and others will get to know you too.

Wishing you a safe trip.

Can confirm chill environment. If you are not used to receiving frequent evaluation it could seem like you are being "watched" but it isn't so bad.

Also you don't have to do research only at CCF. I have seen interesting projects including focus on disparities through the other hospitals (UH) that you could get involved with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no information on second look out? Anyone have any clue when they'll send the schedule?

Welp glad i didn't call haha, just got the schedule.

Welp glad i didn't call haha, just got the schedule.
Yay, that's great. Current students just got the schedule as well. M3's unfortunately have a mandatory session Friday afternoon and I'm rotating outside Main Campus on Thursday, but if anyone is interested in grabbing dinner or something Friday evening (after 5pm), feel free to message me!

And the schedule looks better than when I was here for Second Look (e.g. Corner Alley used to be something like 10pm-12am!), so take advantage of that :)

Just got a second look invite yesterday! I'm guessing someone backed out of attending or something, but I'm excited to meet all of you all there!

I talked to a student about this on interview day and they said it's pretty much business casual everyday during normal class. Khakis and a polo or a button down shirt for example are good for classes. Just can't wear sweats or anything like that. (Not sure where jeans fall under all this, I really love me my jeans but I'm guessing theyre also a no).

No jeans. Haha. Business casual. You get used to it quickly, and you do it MS3 anyway.

Ok, good to know! Not sure if you can answer this but for women are we supposed to wear a nice blouse/sweater for class or is a simple top fine? I also love my denim, I have a nice pair of black denim pants which I wonder if they would be ok? Trying to figure out how much shopping I need to do before school starts haha

Yup that’s fine

Yes, dress code is business casual. They just want us to look nice/professional since we are on the actual clinic (not a separate school campus). The public sees you as part of Cleveland Clinic, regardless of your status as a student, and they (the hospital, patients, mentors) do treat you like a doctor (albeit in-training).

Jeans are not allowed (during class or clinic, anyway. I've seen people and worn jeans myself for few casual evening events on Thursdays - where you have your day off). I personally would caution against black denim and would recommend getting few comfortable dress pants, if you can. They do pay off! Some of my classmates love to wear skirts.

Simple T-shirt that is short-sleeved may not work either during the day...I've done long sleeves though. Hope this helps.

Black denim is fine as long as it’s dark black and doesn’t look like jeans.

Current CCLCM M2 here.
-The professionalism piece basically means not wearing jeans, showing up on time to classes and turning stuff in on time, but outside of that stuff is pretty relaxed. Outside of PBL there's no feeling of being watched/evaluated, and the summer block helps prepare you to figure out what it means to participate in PBL (how to balance the different roles, adding jokes in your mini-presentations, etc.). Though the exact class dynamic varies on who is there, of course, I would say that the atmosphere is very chill and collaborative, especially since there isn't any kind of ranking. We like hanging out outside of class, whether it's hobbies, pickup basketball, class potlucks, local sports games, etc. In fact, there's a girl in our class who bakes a dessert item for each person on their birthday! I feel that I could text a question to anyone in my class, and it wouldn't feel weird to me regardless of who I messaged. Hopefully you're able to get a feel for the atmosphere firsthand at Second Look!

-I'm on a med student team doing health disparities research in Cleveland's Hispanic community, and we've received excellent faculty support from the school. I can't speak highly enough about our mentor, who has helped connect us with community and religious organizations whom we've partnered with to do focus groups. As for the corporate piece, I think on my end the biggest part is learning how to navigate it: there's much less red tape than traditional academic institutions and after pitching our focus group proposal to a couple of people in the CCF administration at a meeting, we received a significant amount of funding toward our project. At the same time, because the CCF is so large, sometimes we had to make sure we were using the right channels for project support (for example, figuring out whether to seek funding from the education department or the community outreach department).
-In the curriculum, systems based practice (including health justice and equity) is one of the core competencies, and is encompassed in various classes, such as PBL cases with social components, Art & Practice of Medicine, and in hands-on experiences in Longitudinal Clinic. I would say the characterization of a troublesome relationship with its neighbors is a little unfair (there is a lot of involvement in the community that isn't as high profile, such as work at the nearby John Hay High School), but at the same time I do believe that the Cleveland Clinic could be doing more in its neighborhood. At the sake of having a post that is too long, feel free to PM me if you would like to learn more about other health disparities-related activities my classmates and I are involved in or that the Cleveland Clinic/CCLCM are doing at the curriculum or institutional levels.

There were no health clinics in East Cleveland until CCF opened up STJ. It’s actually one of the national innovators for primary care in both affluent and underserved areas!

I think you will all be fine - I hope you will have fun and enjoy Cleveland next week!

D. Y. described the chilled and friendly environment very well. When I was interviewing, the current students also had mentioned "being constantly watched" which I had bit of concern myself, but I can tell you that this "watching" is more of warm interest to get to know you better and to help you become better. So yeah, no need to worry about that. Same thing with Second Look - it's going to be a smaller crowd so you will get to know people and others will get to know you too.

Wishing you a safe trip.

I’m sorry they said that. It doesn’t feel like your constantly watched. They were provably in the portfolio writing week and a bit angsty.

Granted, do you have to be more responsible than if you were just at home in your pajamas watching lectures 2x speed.... yes of course :). MS3-MS5 is the dream here.

(Graduation MS5 here)

Just got a second look invite yesterday! I'm guessing someone backed out of attending or something, but I'm excited to meet all of you all there!

That's so last second! Hopefully you have enough time to plan for travel ok. See you there!

AMA!

Morning, folks - Just checking in. On a research block in my residency. Life is good. Touched base with the CCLCM faculty and former students on Match Day - very impressive group of kiddos! Things seem to be plugging along fine at the school.

Former CCLCMer. Currently a resident/fellow. Wondering how people are doing? I can provide some long(er)-term perspective on CCF/CCLCM/CWRU/CLE/Ohio for those who might be interested? I'll be hanging out for much of the day on-and-off.

AMA!

Morning, folks - Just checking in. On a research block in my residency. Life is good. Touched base with the CCLCM faculty and former students on Match Day - very impressive group of kiddos! Things seem to be plugging along fine at the school.

Former CCLCMer. Currently a resident/fellow. Wondering how people are doing? I can provide some long(er)-term perspective on CCF/CCLCM/CWRU/CLE/Ohio for those who might be interested? I'll be hanging out for much of the day on-and-off.

Question for you having gone through everything, were residencies/program directors at programs you applied to familiar with the difference between CCLCM and the university program?

Question for you having gone through everything, were residencies/program directors at programs you applied to familiar with the difference between CCLCM and the university program?
It was a mixed bag. Made for interesting conversation during interviews. But I'd say it is more idle curiosity than anything else if questions are asked. Obviously the more local to Cleveland, the more familiarity the PDs have. But honestly it's not an issue for program directors. At all.

It might be a great place for you to learn
and a great way to develop professionally for you personally - but that's on you. It certainly was perfect for me! But after that... It's not THAT important to residency program directors. And it shouldn't be. You get the training you need. You are competent. Period.

Really, I'm surprised this is still a topic that comes up. It was a big question when the program was new. Was still a point of angst when I was applying for the more neurotic folks in my class. But truly: It is a non-issue. Frankly, nobody cares about PBL experience in residency. It's more about who you are, whether you are a team player, whether you are competent, mentally prepared for the next step, etc.

Bottom line, the question you REALLY wanted to ask is this: 'Does CCLCM limit your career?' Answer: No. This program won't hold you back.

Was one of the later ones invited to second look and my PI got a call this afternoon.

Were they not called prior to your invitation to second look?
I don't think so! Considering how I was invited the Monday before 2nd look, they simply might not have had time to contact them beforehand, so I'm not getting my hopes up or anything

Just got off the wait list! Really excited to see all of yalls beautiful faces in July

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
This isn't really a big deal at all but just wondering if anyone knows how the new building might affect the dress code? Would the dress code only be in place while in the clinic and more flexible while in the classes for the new building? Just wondering on how much of a wardrobe change I'd have to make (as in just a getting a few extra sets of business casual clothing or going all out and getting a bunch).

I've heard that for Lerner students business casual dress code remains but UP students do not have a dress code in the new building.

Dumb question but should CCLCM be a separate option on the AMCAS choose your medical school tool or do we just select Case Western? If I'm accepted at both Lerner and the UP should there be two options or just one?

Dumb question but should CCLCM be a separate option on the AMCAS choose your medical school tool or do we just select Case Western? If I'm accepted at both Lerner and the UP should there be two options or just one?

It shows up as just one option. For lerner you can confirm through the portal but not sure what to do on the choose your medical school tool.

Got the call earlier this evening!! There’s movement going on and I’m so excited to meet you all in person!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know where the Case Western ID is supposed to show up? I sent in my SSN about a week ago and it still hasn't shown up

On that topic, for those accepted earlier, how long does portal take to update? And, what do we do if AMCAS doesn't update by 4/30?

"Accepted applicants holding one or more acceptance offers can select “Plan to Enroll” in the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool.

According to our school-specific policies, an applicant whose first choice is Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM) of Case Western Reserve University must indicate “Plan to Enroll” no later than April 30, 2019; at this time, you must also withdraw from all other acceptances you may be holding (although you may remain on alternate lists). In consideration of other applicants who want to come here, we ask you to make your final decision as soon as you know or by the stated deadline.

If an applicant fails to indicate they Plan to Enroll in CCLCM by April 30, the acceptance offer may be rescinded. It is the applicant’s responsibility to inform us of any extenuating circumstances that may preclude you from complying with requirements."

The quoted above is what it says in the portal.

I'm a little confused on what we should do for the choose your medical school tool. I indicated that I confirmed my acceptance on the portal but not sure if we should just choose cwru on the amcas tool or not.

I'm a little confused on what we should do for the choose your medical school tool. I indicated that I confirmed my acceptance on the portal but not sure if we should just choose cwru on the amcas tool or not.

On the portal, how did it indicate that you confirmed your acceptance? I clicked the button stating I planned to matriculate and it said my status was updated by didn't explicitly state that anything was confirmed.

On the portal, how did it indicate that you confirmed your acceptance? I clicked the button stating I planned to matriculate and it said my status was updated by didn't explicitly state that anything was confirmed.

Same thing for me. I just meant I confirmed it but l by choosing that option.

There is a Facebook group for second look people (and any other people who are accepted I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to join) it didn’t get sent out so people don’t know about it but I want to spread the word. Here is the link! Log into Facebook | Facebook

Same here. Concerned I somehow did it wrong :help:

just got the call, honestly was too excited ! dont really know what im suppose to do now, when will my portal change? trying to get some form of confirmation besides the call before i withdraw from the school i chose yesterday

Last edited: