You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi everyone! For those who interviewed on 10/30, I called today and they said the admissions committee is meeting tonight!! We should hear in the next few days, good luck!
How often does the committee meet? I interviewed last week and, like an impatient idiot, I'm hoping that they'll get back to me sooner than expected.
Interviewing here pretty soon. For those who've interviewed so far, what did yall think of the school?
It's impressive! Everybody there is super warm and friendly and they have really cool stuff going on with their curriculum (focus on standardized patients, ultrasound, community outreach). The facilities are bright, clean, and comfortable. Seems like a really nice place to be.
C
Clockwork Biology
I believe someone called awhile back and was told that they meet twice a month.
Hopefully us 11/6 interviewee's got included in last nights meeting! Another 3 weeks would kill me

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any current students willing to host me on 12/1? I'm female, but I'd stay with a guy or a girl. I'll bring you cookies!
UberWhat's the cheapest cab service in the Norfolk area?
Just got an email that I've been placed on the alternate list so of course I called...apparently I'm near the bottom of the top 1/3. I'm not sure if that's a good/neutral or bad sign, ugh. 🙁 IS, interviewed 10/28.
Just got an email that I've been placed on the alternate list so of course I called...apparently I'm near the bottom of the top 1/3. I'm not sure if that's a good/neutral or bad sign, ugh. 🙁 IS, interviewed 10/28.
Same - I interviewed on 10/28 and just got alternate list email. I called and they said I am in the top 1/3 (I think?!!!? Now wondering if I understood her correctly). I have been placed on so many waiting lists, it is breaking my heart. They don't accept or reject me - just hold, waiting, alternate, etc... torture.
PS- what does "LizzyM" mean?
Any hotel recommendations? is it best to rent a car? I feel kinda stupid when I'm trying to plan these trips 

I'm so sorry, that really is the worst - but at least you still have a chance at those schools, though I get how it's the not knowing that's most agonizing. Stay strong!Same - I interviewed on 10/28 and just got alternate list email. I called and they said I am in the top 1/3 (I think?!!!? Now wondering if I understood her correctly). I have been placed on so many waiting lists, it is breaking my heart. They don't accept or reject me - just hold, waiting, alternate, etc... torture.
PS- what does "lizzyM" mean?
In the meantime, I'm wondering how much/if a LOI will help people in our position w/ EVMS get off the waitlist. Going through this and past threads, it seems like others have had a lot of anecdotal success - is that at all generalizable?
Your LizzyM score is, at it's simplest, (GPA * 10) + MCAT. The same can be calculated using a given med school's averages, so the idea behind it is to have a general gauge of your competitiveness at a school; that is, the closer your score is to the school's, the more likely you are to fit that school's stats profile and, thus, (hopefully) get interviewed.
I used AirBnB and had a whole apartment a block from EVMS and it only cost ~$110 a night. No car, just used Ubër to get to and from the apartment that I stayed at. Good luck at your interview!Any hotel recommendations? is it best to rent a car? I feel kinda stupid when I'm trying to plan these trips![]()
Thanks that's super helpful!I used AirBnB and had a whole apartment a block from EVMS and it only cost ~$110 a night. No car, just used Ubër to get to and from the apartment that I stayed at. Good luck at your interview!
Just withdrew my interview for 12/11 in case anyone needed that day 🙂 Good luck everybody!
Accepted. OOS interviewed 10/28
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the middle-3rd-of-the-waitlist folks...there's hope! I was waitlisted on Nov. 5 in the middle third and made if off. Interview 10/14, LizzyM ~64, IS
That's awesome, congrats!!! Did you send a letter of interest? I hear they pull off the waitlist to match the demographic of the person who refused the acceptance. Something like that. Who can figure out this mystical process anyway
That's awesome, congrats!!! Did you send a letter of interest? I hear they pull off the waitlist to match the demographic of the person who refused the acceptance. Something like that. Who can figure out this mystical process anyway
Thanks! No, I didn't do anything special. I only called once I found out I was waitlisted to see where I was on the list. That's interesting, about matching the demographics of the waitlister and the person declining acceptance. I hadn't heard that. Like you, I have no actual idea how these decisions get made haha but I wish you the best of luck!!
How does anyone pay for this school??
but in all seriousness, any current students coming from OOS, or OOS applicants with any ideas on financial aid and stuff? feel free to PM if that's more comfortable
but in all seriousness, any current students coming from OOS, or OOS applicants with any ideas on financial aid and stuff? feel free to PM if that's more comfortable
How does anyone pay for this school??
but in all seriousness, any current students coming from OOS, or OOS applicants with any ideas on financial aid and stuff? feel free to PM if that's more comfortable
Yeah, that's my biggest concern for this school!!
C
Clockwork Biology
Waitlisted today. Middle third
Waitlisted today. Middle third
When was your interview date?
C
Clockwork Biology
Interviewed 11/6
Wow! I interviewed a week after you. They are really moving, hope this means I will hear something soon. Looking through other years a lot of people get accepted from the middle 1/3. Certainly if you are OOS.Interviewed 11/6
Interviewed 11/6
I interviewed the same day as you but no news yet! Did they email you or did you call?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today via email!!!! Interviewed early October and was placed in the middle 1/3 of the waitlist. Don't lose hope guys!!!
Did anyone that interviewed on 11/11 or 11/13 hear anything yet?
Accepted today via email!!!! Interviewed early October and was placed in the middle 1/3 of the waitlist. Don't lose hope guys!!!
Congrats! You guys give us hope! Can I ask, IS or OOS?
Congrats! You guys give us hope! Can I ask, IS or OOS?
I am IS
Anyone else here who interviewed 11/6 and hasn't heard back yet? I'm getting so antsy! 😱
Can anyone who lives in the area (current student or otherwise) tell me a little about what living in Norfolk is like? It seems like a nice area, but I really have no idea as I'm OOS and have never visited!
D
deleted674251
Can anyone who lives in the area (current student or otherwise) tell me a little about what living in Norfolk is like? It seems like a nice area, but I really have no idea as I'm OOS and have never visited!
Norfolk is really inconsistent, quality-wise. The area immediately around EMVS (called Ghent) is quite nice. I've lived here for 3 years, and really enjoy it. There are a good amount of restaurants and bars and it's relatively safe. Most of the apartments are pretty old (early to mid 1900s), but they've mostly been renovated recently. It seemed pretty expensive to me when I moved here from the midwest, but people from DC or California have told me it's quite a bit cheaper than they're used to. The Freemason and downtown areas are also pretty good, but the price goes up noticeably.
However, if you go north of 21st Street or east of of Monticello Avenue, it gets shady super quickly (There's literally a train track that you can be on the wrong side of). I never really have any need to leave Ghent other than to go to Wal-mart, so it doesn't bother me at all.
Hampton Roads is divided up by bodies of water and connected by tunnels. All of the tunnels have tolls which can get pretty hefty pretty quickly. You'll want to invest in an EZ Pass if you have any need to be going through them.
Lastly, parts of Ghent flood really easily. The city has been working to fix this, but just be aware that if you live near the water (especially the Hague), you'll see a lot of flooding. Definitely ask somebody about this when you're looking for a place to live.
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks so much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate it! I am currently reading this at a coffee shop immediately east of Monticello Ave, and I was like, "uh oh!" Lol.Norfolk is really inconsistent, quality-wise. The area immediately around EMVS (called Ghent) is quite nice. I've lived here for 3 years, and really enjoy it. There are a good amount of restaurants and bars and it's relatively safe. Most of the apartments are pretty old (early to mid 1900s), but they've mostly been renovated recently. It seemed pretty expensive to me when I moved here from the midwest, but people from DC or California have told me it's quite a bit cheaper than they're used to. The Freemason and downtown areas are also pretty good, but the price goes up noticeably.
However, if you go north of 21st Street or east of of Monticello Avenue, it gets shady super quickly (There's literally a train track that you can be on the wrong side of). I never really have any need to leave Ghent other than to go to Wal-mart, so it doesn't bother me at all.
Hampton Roads is divided up by bodies of water and connected by tunnels. All of the tunnels have tolls which can get pretty hefty pretty quickly. You'll want to invest in an EZ Pass if you have any need to be going through them.
Lastly, parts of Ghent flood really easily. The city has been working to fix this, but just be aware that if you live near the water (especially the Hague), you'll see a lot of flooding. Definitely ask somebody about this when you're looking for a place to live.
Accepted today via email!!!! Interviewed early October and was placed in the middle 1/3 of the waitlist. Don't lose hope guys!!!
I'm also middle third. They told me they weren't going to pull from the waitlist until April... ???
I'm dying here. Anyone know when they meet next? I interviewed on 11/18 and am unsure when they will get back. Anyone called and asked yet?
I'm dying here. Anyone know when they meet next? I interviewed on 11/18 and am unsure when they will get back. Anyone called and asked yet?
It's only been a little over two weeks. 😛 Judging by this thread, most decisions take around 3-6 weeks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had called awhile ago and the admissions lady (super nice btw) told me I have been approved for an interview... Does that mean I'm just holding on until they make their way to me on their list?
I had called awhile ago and the admissions lady (super nice btw) told me I have been approved for an interview... Does that mean I'm just holding on until they make their way to me on their list?
Same thing happened to me--you've officially been granted an interview (congrats!) but they only send IIs out in batches, so just hang tight until you get the email. Mine came just a few days later, you can call again if it's been more than 2 weeks and they might let you go ahead and schedule over the phone.
It took about 3 weeks for me to get the email invitation after hearing this on the phoneI had called awhile ago and the admissions lady (super nice btw) told me I have been approved for an interview... Does that mean I'm just holding on until they make their way to me on their list?
can anybody shed some light on what the interview is like? i'm sure that information is somewhere in the thread, but I just sorted through 3 pages and couldn't find anything so I'm resorting to this lol. anything as far as open vs. closed and question style- I remember reading that EVMS is particularly interested in hearing your opinion on healthcare policy/reform and medical ethics. but I could've easily made that up.
any help would be appreciated! 🙂
any help would be appreciated! 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K