2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just finished my interview, really impressed with the school and the atmosphere. The interview was really relaxed and the student/faculty were welcoming and friendly. The one thing that concerns me is that I wasn't asked any ethical questions or something about healthcare like everyone else has mentioned. I'm not sure if that means that they didn't want to bother because I'm auto-reject, or they thought I was competent enough to the point where asking the question would be a waste.
+1 no ethical questions but lots of discussion about US healthcare policy vs. international healthcare policies
 
Just finished my interview, really impressed with the school and the atmosphere. The interview was really relaxed and the student/faculty were welcoming and friendly. The one thing that concerns me is that I wasn't asked any ethical questions or something about healthcare like everyone else has mentioned. I'm not sure if that means that they didn't want to bother because I'm auto-reject, or they thought I was competent enough to the point where asking the question would be a waste.
I had no ethical or healthcare questions! I thought my interview went really well. So I don't think it's a bad sign.
 
Just finished my interview, really impressed with the school and the atmosphere. The interview was really relaxed and the student/faculty were welcoming and friendly. The one thing that concerns me is that I wasn't asked any ethical questions or something about healthcare like everyone else has mentioned. I'm not sure if that means that they didn't want to bother because I'm auto-reject, or they thought I was competent enough to the point where asking the question would be a waste.

I interviewed 11/6 and was wait listed. I did not have anything near ethical or healthcare related questions during my interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that I am back home from the airport, I guess I'll briefly share more about my interview experience as a heads up for anyone who has an upcoming interview.

1) My panel was only an M2 and retired MD. The admission counselor's paperwork was in the room and it was obvious where their seat was but I guess they stepped out and never came back??? O__O
2) The interview was pretty conversational. Based on previous feedback, I thought it would be more of a straightforward question-and-answer style but mine was more discussion-based, with few questions that were meant as a starting point. The questions didn't feel as scripted as if they were reading off a list and it was definitely more impromptu based on where I lead the conversation. I wouldn't say that they grilled me on each response, but they definitely would bring up scenarios to counteract what I said to see how I would respond, ie. "okay, so you mentioned [___________], but what if [___________]?". I actually found this helpful because it showed me that they were genuinely interested in what I had to say and weren't bored.
3) I had prepared answers for typical questions like why medicine/why a doctor/why EVMS/pros and cons of Obamacare/ethical questions and I was only asked "why medicine".
4) They barely asked about my application AT ALL and each question was very open ended, more to see the kind of person I was. I'd say it was a good mix of medical and non-medical questions.

Hope this helps! Basically, just be yourself and answer honestly. If you don't know an answer, it's okay to say you don't know. I was asked to compare the US healthcare to other international healthcare policies and while I did have some knowledge of that, it's definitely okay to admit that you don't know all the details than to try BS-ing your way to a semi-decent response. (I was asked an extremely random question near the end that no one would know the answer to, and I think they were looking to see if I was capable of admitting that I didn't know--the question was "Do you know the number of (med school) applicants who go outside of the US to study?" lol)

(in other news, interviews are slotted for 45 min but mine went for a whole hour so SORRY to those who interviewed late because of me...>__>)
 
Wait listed, haven't called to find out what "third" I'm in..not sure if I want to?
Complete 8/31, II 11/10, Interviewed 11/20.

In-state, but not the Hampton Roads area.

Not super surprised but also pretty bummed out :\
 
Wait-listed "within the top tier. " Interviewed 12/2. OOS. Damn it. Quick turnaround though.

They said they wouldn't be pulling off the wait list until April, but I see that people have already been pulled? What's up with that?
 
Interview on 12/2 as well. On the top 1/3 of wait list. My email says that they pull of the list as soon as vacancies become available.
 
Wait-listed "within the top tier. " Interviewed 12/2. OOS. Damn it. Quick turnaround though.

They said they wouldn't be pulling off the wait list until April, but I see that people have already been pulled? What's up with that?

Was wondering the same thing as I was just told the same thing. I'm wondering if they pull as soon as someone withdraws their seat?
 
Anyone interview 11/18 and still not hear anything?? What the heck lol people from 12/2 are getting responses at this point
 
Didn't get a match list during my interview here, and I can't find it online. If someone has this, could you please share this? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone interview 11/18 and still not hear anything?? What the heck lol people from 12/2 are getting responses at this point

For the batch of acceptances that went out in mid-November, all the wait-lists went out on one day and then all of us who got accepted found out the next day, so it may actually be a very good sign for you.
 
I probably already know the answer to this, but does anyone know if anyone in a previous thread received an interview after being put on hold?
 
I called >4 weeks ago and they told me I had an II and to wait for an email.... Does it warrant a call back? Or am I farther down the line?
 
I called >4 weeks ago and they told me I had an II and to wait for an email.... Does it warrant a call back? Or am I farther down the line?

I would call back! It only took me and others a few days to 2 weeks to get the email after hearing that over the phone.
 
Just finished my interview, really impressed with the school and the atmosphere. The interview was really relaxed and the student/faculty were welcoming and friendly. The one thing that concerns me is that I wasn't asked any ethical questions or something about healthcare like everyone else has mentioned. I'm not sure if that means that they didn't want to bother because I'm auto-reject, or they thought I was competent enough to the point where asking the question would be a waste.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got no healthcare and no ethics questions. My interview was long and one of the panel interviewers was being so "difficult" that I just knew I wasn't getting in. Then I got accepted.
 
Just called and the lady said I've been re-reviewed but no decision made. She said I'm sort of in limbo/on hold.... Lol...

Also she killed my ego by saying I'm sort of at the lower end of potential interviews.

Woot. Good luck all
 
I can't decide whether I want to call or not now. :/

Honestly, I just decided to call so I could stop worrying about if x school will interview me or not.. I would've rather known that I have limited chances than not... the ambiguity made me call!

I'm glad they told me that I really don't have much of a chance, so I can plan around not getting any love from EVMS..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't decide whether I want to call or not now. :/
Might as well. I mean, the reason I called to begin with was to make sure I didn't miss any interview invites by mail. (I found out EVMS stuff has been going to my spam)
Just called and the lady said I've been re-reviewed but no decision made. She said I'm sort of in limbo/on hold.... Lol...

Also she killed my ego by saying I'm sort of at the lower end of potential interviews.

Woot. Good luck all
I'm sorry to hear that, but I wouldn't give up yet. They kept reviewing your file rather than outright reject for a good reason, I think.
 
Does EVMS reject pre-interview? Or just put you on hold?
they said they wouldn't 'leave me hanging' by not knowing my status, but since they interview til april they probably just hold you til then..
though i do think a few have been rejected pre interview in the thread iirc
 
they said they wouldn't 'leave me hanging' by not knowing my status, but since they interview til april they probably just hold you til then..
though i do think a few have been rejected pre interview in the thread iirc

Thanks so much, I think I will call then!
 
I think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I've been re reviewed after my update/ letter of interest. Any one have any questions I can ask?
 
II about an hour ago. OOS with very strong ties to the school and the area. Complete email received early this month but secondary submitted in late Oct.
 
alternate list, middle third, interviewed 12/11. speedy turn-around, although they did say ~2 wks. true to their word! admissions informed me that ~2/3 of the class comes off the waitlist and most movement is in April, so I'm content with the outcome 🙂
 
alternate list, middle third, interviewed 12/11. speedy turn-around, although they did say ~2 wks. true to their word! admissions informed me that ~2/3 of the class comes off the waitlist and most movement is in April, so I'm content with the outcome 🙂

Hey! I interviewed that day too! Did they email you, or did you call to find out? I might just go with the whole "ignorance = bliss" approach and wait for an email... and congrats! I hear the school has tons of movement off the waitlist.
 
Hey! I interviewed that day too! Did they email you, or did you call to find out? I might just go with the whole "ignorance = bliss" approach and wait for an email... and congrats! I hear the school has tons of movement off the waitlist.
Hey! Hahaha
They emailed me telling me that I was on the alternate list, and then I called to f/u on what portion of the WL I was on! Thank you, hopefully you hear some good news soon! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II yesterday at 2PM! Didn't see it until just now though...but I will probably withdraw due to another acceptance. Completely mid-July to early August, LizzyM about 69-70, I had called this school a couple of months ago and they told me I would receive an interview.