2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So is RF still on probation? Are current med students worried about their school's (past?) probationary status?

Members don't see this ad :)
So is RF still on probation? Are current med students worried about their school's (past?) probationary status?
Still on probation. Admin says very very likely to get off. I think it takes 2-4 years to completely be off. Not worried about the status at all. Does not affect us.

Does anyone know what led to the probation in the first place? Wikipedia was very vague (not the best source, but meh).

Does anyone know what led to the probation in the first place? Wikipedia was very vague (not the best source, but meh).

Read everything (especially the status reports) here: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/LCME.aspx

Our school is very transparent about the LCME process. There are meetings every 1-2months where the Dean will go over where we're at with the LCME.

Reactions: 1 user
Also look at this year's match list. You can see it did not affect anything

I'm a rising fourth year, and based on this year's and last year's match, both of which occurred during probation, I'm not worried in the slightest.

That being said, if you have any questions about the school, particularly clinical rotations and living arrangements, I'm happy to answer questions here or via PM.

Notably, I am not on the admissions committee and I do not read essays for them, so I can't tell you how to get an interview. Just answer the questions asked in the secondary, proofread well, and don't call the school or send any love letters (they don't accept them anyway!).

Also, below is the 2015 match list!

Anesthesiology (10)
U Alabama Med Center - Birmingham
Cedars-Sinai, California
Rush University, Illinois
University of Illinois Chicago
University at Buffalo, NY
NYP Hosp- Columbia Univ Med Ctr
Cleveland Clinic, OH
Medical College of Wisconsin x2
U Wisconsin

Child Neurology (1)
Stanford

Dermatology (6)
Loma Linda
Southern Illinois University SOM
Loyola
Cook County/Stroger
University Hospitals-Jackson MS
Darmouth

Emergency Medicine (21)
Harbor-UCLA
UConn
University of IL - St Francis Med Ctr
Cook County/Stroger x2
Resurrection Med Ctr x2
U Kansas- KC
Henry Ford HSC, MI
Beaumont Health System, MI
Western Michigan University Stryker
Hennepin County Medical Center, MN
Einstein/Jacobi x3
University of Toledo
Akron Gen/NEOMED
Allegheny General Hospital PA
Albert Einstein Med Ctr PA
Christus Spohn Mem Hosp TX
U Wisconsin Hospital

Family Medicine (12)
University at Buffalo
UMass
U Kansas SOM - WIchita
U Michigan Ann Arbor
Univ of British Columbia Victoria
Loma Linda University CA
UC Irvine
University of Iowa
Advocate Lutheran General Hosp
Hinsdale Hospital IL
McNeal Hospital IL
University of IL - Chicago

General Surgery (5)
Memorial Health University Med Center GA
Barnes Jewish MO
Saint Louis Univ SOM MO
Cleveland Clinic OH
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics

Internal Medicine (40)
U Texas HSC - San Antonio
UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr AZ
UCIrvine
Santa Clara x2
University of Southern California
Huntington Memorial Hospital
Cedars Sinai
Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara
UCSF Fresno
Loma Linda University
Kaiser - SF
Jackson Memorial Hosp FL
Mercy Hosp and Med Center (IL)
Rush University x3
Advocate Lutheran x2
Loyola University
Indiana University
University of Louisville KY x2
St Elizabeth’s MA
Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center
University of Minnesota
North Shore-LIJ
Einstein/Jacobi
CWRU Metro Health
Drexel COM
Thomas Jefferson University
Brown University
University of Vermont
Aurora Health Care (Wisconsin)
MCW x 2
WVU
Kaiser Permanente - Oakland

Medicine-Pediatrics (3)
Banner-Good Samaritan AZ
Loyola University
University Massachusetts

Medicine (Primary Care) (2)
George Washington Univ
Barnes Jewish

Neurosurgery (1)

Neurology (11)
Northwestern McGaw x2
Loyola University
Rush x2
University of Kansas SOM
University of Minnesota
Saint Louis University SOM
SUNY Upstate x2
UPMC

OB-Gyn (4)
Cedars-Sinai, CA
Rush University
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners, MI
Texas Tech-Lubbock

Ophthalmology (2)
Case Western Reserve University
St Louis University

Orthopedic Surgery (5)
UIllinois Chicago
Indiana
University of MO - KC
Baylor College of Medicine

Otolaryngology (1)
UIllinois Chicago

Pathology
Northwestern McGaw

Pediatrics (18)
Phoenix Children’s
Kaiser Permanente LA
Stanford x2
UCLA
CHLA
University of Hawaii
University of Iowa
Southern Illinois University
Loyola University x2
Advocate Lutheran
Rush University
Northwestern McGaw
University at Buffalo
Northshore LIJ
U Tennessee COM - Memphis
San Antonio Military Medical Center

PM&R (4)
Marianjoy Rehab Hospital IL
WSU (Detroit Medical Center) MI
U Texas HSC San Antonio
Medical College of Wisconsin

Psychiatry (1)
Advocate Lutheran, IL

Radiation Oncology (1)
University at Buffalo

Radiology Diagnostic (8)
UCLA
Loma Linda
UC Irvine
Rush University
Beaumont Health Systems
NYP Hosp - Columbia
Brown
UIllinois Chicago

Urology
SUNY Upstate

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oh man, they don't like update letters? Was hoping to notify about a potential future publication

Anyone get a secondary here yet?
I doubt it. I feel like this thread would be alight with posts if secondaries had started going out. There probably hasn't been much going on over the last few days with the holiday and all. I'd expect them to release the secondary within the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else note that the fee is listed as $125 in one part of the secondary and $105 in another part of the secondary?

A 100 word diversity statement...? This should interesting. That's no room to work with at all

Reactions: 5 users
A 100 word diversity statement...? This should interesting. That's no room to work with at all

Seriously. Im about to copy and paste the lyrics to 2 Chainz's I'm Different and call it a day. I mean that's diversity right? because no one else is crazy enough to do that

Reactions: 26 users
Secondary received also and surprised at how short the prompts are.

Seriously. Im about to copy and paste the lyrics to 2 Chainz's I'm Different and call it a day. I mean that's diversity right? because no one else is crazy enough to do that
Haha you would definitely set yourself apart! But I'll barely get to "what diversity I bring" and the 100 words are going to be up.

I honestly had a hard time cutting down my diversity essay for Tufts to fit the 1,000 character limit. I just checked and it still is 174 words :bored:

Last edited:
That moment when you check your folder for secondaries you have prewritten and find out you wrote the 100 word diversity essay at 2 am one night but completely forgot you had :bow::soexcited::clap::horns::zip::prof:

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received and submitted. Appreciated the short prompts and loved how easy it was to use their portal.

finished the secondary and got this in an email:

We have received your Chicago Medical School Supplemental Application. We will be processing your supplemental application and you can expect another email from us when your application is complete and sent into screening. As a reminder, the following materials are required for full consideration of your application:

- RFUMS Supplemental Application & Fee
- MCAT scores (sent directly to AMCAS)
- Three individual letters of recommendation, one committee letter or one letter packet containing no more than three letters (sent directly to AMCAS)

...so if my letter packet has more than 3 letters its no good?

finished the secondary and got this in an email:

We have received your Chicago Medical School Supplemental Application. We will be processing your supplemental application and you can expect another email from us when your application is complete and sent into screening. As a reminder, the following materials are required for full consideration of your application:

- RFUMS Supplemental Application & Fee
- MCAT scores (sent directly to AMCAS)
- Three individual letters of recommendation, one committee letter or one letter packet containing no more than three letters (sent directly to AMCAS)

...so if my letter packet has more than 3 letters its no good?
My advisor said they would most likely just stop reading after the third letter

My advisor said they would most likely just stop reading after the third letter

:thumbdown: I have a committee packet with several supporting letters, I hope they just don't give up halfway through my packet haha

Hey yall I just realized RFU requires biochem (which I don't have) so how do I withdraw my application? Or do I just not complete the secondary? I just want to make sure that once I get biochem and apply here I wont be considered a reapplicant
Are you going to be able to take biochem by the time our class would matriculate in fall 2016? If so, you're fine. You don't have to have already taken it, you just have to take it before you matriculate.

I really appreciate that they want concise responses for their secondaries. This school just gained major points for that.

Does anyone know how to check status??
I don't know that there is a way to check your status. I kind of thought that the only way we'd know we're complete is when we get a complete email.

Is it one or two semesters of Biochem?

Oh wow, didn't realize that. I thought you had to have completed all prereqs by the time of application. thanks!
You're welcome! Good luck in your applications.

this has been my favorite MD secondary by far. They don't ask for anything that's already in my primary

Reactions: 4 users
Is this more of a research school? a social justice type school? I cant seem to figure out what their niche is

Is this more of a research school? a social justice type school? I cant seem to figure out what their niche is
the fact that they named it after franklin suggests they're heavy into research and social justice (cause she got swooped on by watson and crick) but they also have a lot of community service clubs and events

I want to add RF to my application but I don't have a letter from a medical professional. It says preferred but not required on the website. How much weight do you think that carries?

I especially appreciated that their mission statement popped right up next to my essay on their secondary. Thanks for catering to us lazy folk, RFU :)

Reactions: 2 users
I especially appreciated that their mission statement popped right up next to my essay on their secondary. Thanks for catering to us lazy folk, RFU :)
Right? I felt like I found five bucks in my pocket or something.