2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I mistakenly added too many letters of recommendation in my application to CMS. I have a bunch of letter writers and just got confused when I was sorting through all the schools choosing which ones to send...I sent four to CMS instead of the strict limit of three. Unfortunately for me, one of these letters is a "good" letter and the other three are "great" letters. In honesty, if they missed one of these "great" letters it might be the difference between an acceptance. I contacted CMS via email about the blunder and asked them to ignore the one I specified (although they could read it if they so desired) and all I got back was:

"Once an application has been submitted we cannot accept additional materials nor updates. In cases, like yours, when an application contains more than the required number of letters of recommendation the admissions committee will select the letters that will be considered during the review process. As this is not an uncommon occurrence the admissions committee has constructed a tactful criteria to implement in these situations."

Anybody have any insight into what this "tactful criteria" is?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I mistakenly added too many letters of recommendation in my application to CMS. I have a bunch of letter writers and just got confused when I was sorting through all the schools choosing which ones to send...I sent four to CMS instead of the strict limit of three. Unfortunately for me, one of these letters is a "good" letter and the other three are "great" letters. In honesty, if they missed one of these "great" letters it might be the difference between an acceptance. I contacted CMS via email about the blunder and asked them to ignore the one I specified (although they could read it if they so desired) and all I got back was:

"Once an application has been submitted we cannot accept additional materials nor updates. In cases, like yours, when an application contains more than the required number of letters of recommendation the admissions committee will select the letters that will be considered during the review process. As this is not an uncommon occurrence the admissions committee has constructed a tactful criteria to implement in these situations."

Anybody have any insight into what this "tactful criteria" is?

Ah crud, I also made this mistake too lol.... I submitted 5. :confused:

As far as the "tactful criteria" go, maybe they'll just pick and choose based on the type of letter? This is a very rough guess but maybe if you submit, say, 4 or 5, they'll take one science, one non-science, and one physician/supervisor/PI rec? Just a thought. I know that they strongly recommend a physician letter and one of my 5 is from a physician, so I'm assuming they'll select that and then two others.

Is a LOR from a medical professional required or recommended? From the secondary:

• Whether you submit three individual or one committee letter, we would like to see at least one recommendation from a medical professional you have worked with.

I did not submit the one DO letter I had to any MD schools. Is it worth applying here if I don't have an MD/DO letter?

Also, my letter packet has four letters, as opposed to the three that they ask for in a letter packet. How will they handle my letter packet? Throw out a random letter? Read all four?

Members don't see this ad :)
Committee letter rules trump individual letter rules. Also, it doesn't have to be an MD/DO

Is a LOR from a medical professional required or recommended? From the secondary:

• Whether you submit three individual or one committee letter, we would like to see at least one recommendation from a medical professional you have worked with.

I did not submit the one DO letter I had to any MD schools. Is it worth applying here if I don't have an MD/DO letter?

Also, my letter packet has four letters, as opposed to the three that they ask for in a letter packet. How will they handle my letter packet? Throw out a random letter? Read all four?

I think "we would like to see" is more of a recommendation than an actual requirement. I think I had seen either on this thread or last year's that more than a few people received interviews and acceptances here without any physician letter.

Also, if you have four letters in your packet, they'll probably just choose three to read and ignore the 4th. I have no idea about how they would go about selecting the letters, though.

Committee letter rules trump individual letter rules. Also, it doesn't have to be an MD/DO

I have a letter packet and not a committee letter. :(

I think "we would like to see" is more of a recommendation than an actual requirement. I think I had seen either on this thread or last year's that more than a few people received interviews and acceptances here without any physician letter.

Also, if you have four letters in your packet, they'll probably just choose three to read and ignore the 4th. I have no idea about how they would go about selecting the letters, though.

Hopefully they'll pick the best three! :/

How did you guys schedule your interview i got the link and pressed it and it says interview is now closed???

So I just got an II at 12:46. At 1:11 I get another email from them telling me to disregard the II email. WTF. Did this happen to anyone else??

So I just got an II at 12:46. At 1:11 I get another email from them telling me to disregard the II email. WTF. Did this happen to anyone else??
That's really rough. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

They haven't told me my II was a mistake yet. Hopefully they don't!! :(
Sorry they did that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch, that's cold! So sorry to hear that :wideyed:

No I tried to schedule an interview on the link that was attached and when I wasn't able to, I emailed them and told them. An hour after emailing them, they emailed back and said that my application is still under review.

wow so sorry to hear that

No I tried to schedule an interview on the link that was attached and when I wasn't able to, I emailed them and told them. An hour after emailing them, they emailed back and said that my application is still under review.

Uh oh. That's insane. I just sent them an email saying I couldn't login and that I want to schedule it on a particular day, and now i'm expecting that email.

Yeah, it was so weird and now I am freaking out

Last edited:
Guys, chill! Based on previous threads, it looks like they don't send out IIs until late August. It was likely a meaningless glitch that sent you emails. I understand why you'd panic, but seriously, I doubt it means anything!

Did anyone get a complete email from RFU? I submitted my secondary on 7/23 and got all my LORs in then but I never got the complete email. Just wondering.

Lol troll interviews. I can't imagine the feeling of that.

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone get a complete email from RFU? I submitted my secondary on 7/23 and got all my LORs in then but I never got the complete email. Just wondering.
Yep! I submitted 7/10(ish) and received a complete + under review email 7/16.

This is almost as bad as that one time that lion got murdered in cold blood on a continent plagued by civil war, starvation, thirst, disease and unemployment...

Oh, wait. No it's not.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:

If the universe were fair- they would have to give you an interview anyway because that's just cruel.

So, I received an II email this morning with the same issue of "interview closed" when I clicked on the link to schedule my interview. I called the admissions office and they said that they will be sending out an email either later today or tomorrow morning (within the next 24 hours) with a new link. Don't worry! :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
So, I received an II email this morning with the same issue of "interview closed" when I clicked on the link to schedule my interview. I called the admissions office and they said that they will be sending out an email either later today or tomorrow morning (within the next 24 hours) with a new link. Don't worry! :happy:

congrats!!! when were you complete?

Aw man! I was complete on 7/15 also. Hoping for some good news soon

Congrats!

Application complete 7/16, but not trolled about II yet. Does anyone know if it is wise to submit more than 3 LOR? Or should I choose the best 3 to send in via AMCAS?

Application complete 7/16, but not trolled about II yet. Does anyone know if it is wise to submit more than 3 LOR? Or should I choose the best 3 to send in via AMCAS?

msar says maximum is 3

Do you know what happens when you submit a committee letter + packet with 4-5 letters? Do they just read 3?

+1 lol @__@ didn't read the letter reqs carefully before submitting so sent 5 letters (3 in packet, 2 individual) but my non-science LoR is not included in the packet lol poor planning on my part :/

+1 lol @__@ didn't read the letter reqs carefully before submitting so sent 5 letters (3 in packet, 2 individual) but my non-science LoR is not included in the packet lol poor planning on my part :/
"No more than three individual letters of recommendation or one committee letter."

If you submitted in a packet with a committee letter, then I assume its fine no matter how many letters accompanies the packet. They may just choose to not read some.

"No more than three individual letters of recommendation or one committee letter."

If you submitted in a packet with a committee letter, then I assume its fine no matter how many letters accompanies the packet. They may just choose to not read some.

Committee letter like premedical advising committee right? My school doesn't offer one @__@ I will just assume they'll only pick the 3 required ones to read~ i can't remember if they asked on the secondary to indicate your 3 letters or not haha...getting so confused with all these applications

Oh good! I got my II (OOS) around noon today as well and have been experiencing the same issues as you guys. Hopefully I get an email with a new link and not the "disregard" email. This is one of my top schools and I was so happy to get a II!

Committee letter like premedical advising committee right? My school doesn't offer one @__@ I will just assume they'll only pick the 3 required ones to read~ i can't remember if they asked on the secondary to indicate your 3 letters or not haha...getting so confused with all these applications

you could try emailing CMS/Rosy about it. They responded to my previous question about the secondary.

They just verified that they did in fact mean to invite me for an interview. They emailed me a new link.

Reactions: 2 users
When was everybody complete. Interviewed here last year and would like to again.

I am currently finalizing my secondary....does anyone know if its acceptable to use abbreviations for the school? That 100 word limit is tough! If it is acceptable, what abbreviation should be used? RFU? CMS? Any insight is appreciated :)

I am currently finalizing my secondary....does anyone know if its acceptable to use abbreviations for the school? That 100 word limit is tough! If it is acceptable, what abbreviation should be used? RFU? CMS? Any insight is appreciated :)

I used RFUMS (for Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, their full name), but you can use CMS as well.