2015-2016 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Marked complete just now
Where do you check to see if it's marked complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Did someone post the prompts already? Just getting to this thread! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a sense of how far the rotation sites are from the main campus at Rosalind Franklin? I looked at the map but couldn't get a sense of how far apart these things were.

Got the email saying my application was complete this morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an email yesterday that my application is complete and under review.

Soooooo........ what's North Chicago like? Never even been to Chicago, but I've heard the suburbs around Chicago are nice? Right?!

I live in the suburbs. They're nice and quiet with lots of different stuff to do. I went to school in the city, it's really great if you like being around a lot of people. There's ALWAYS something to do.

I have a question about letters of rec. On their website, it states that "If you choose to submit three individual letters, we prefer (but do not require) at least one recommendation to come from a medical professional". This implies to me that if we're submitting a committee letter or packet, we don't have to worry about this. Yet on secondary application, it states that "Whether you submit three individual or one committee letter, we would like to see at least one recommendation from a medical professional you have worked with." I think they're very unclear about this... I'm submitting a committee letter, so this seems very confusing to me. Any thoughts folks?

Did anybody else get this email?
Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your continued interest in the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS).

Your application is currently complete and under review with the Admissions Committee. Due to the large number of applications we receive, please allow 8-10 weeks for us to send you an email update regarding the status of your application. We appreciate your patience during this time.

Please note, we cannot accept any additional information or materials for your file beyond our application requirements, unless it concerns Institutional Action, Felony, Misdemeanor or Military Discharge.

Please note that admissions counselors are unable to provide you any further updates by phone or email regarding your status other than that you are currently in primary screening.

Again, thank you for your interest in RFUMS.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anybody else get this email?
Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your continued interest in the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS).

Your application is currently complete and under review with the Admissions Committee. Due to the large number of applications we receive, please allow 8-10 weeks for us to send you an email update regarding the status of your application. We appreciate your patience during this time.

Please note, we cannot accept any additional information or materials for your file beyond our application requirements, unless it concerns Institutional Action, Felony, Misdemeanor or Military Discharge.

Please note that admissions counselors are unable to provide you any further updates by phone or email regarding your status other than that you are currently in primary screening.

Again, thank you for your interest in RFUMS.

How long after you submitted your supplemental did you get this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the same letter a moment ago. Submitted on the 10th.

submitted mine on the 17th, hopefully I hear back soon too!

Oops! meant the 17th as well. Accidentally hit the wrong key haha. You should be getting it soon too. Seemed like an automatic generic email.

Can anyone comment on the differences in Mission & Vision between the website and the secondary application?

For reference, they are different:

Mission: To educate physicians to be leaders in an interprofessional environment, who are able to adapt, innovate and discover in an ever changing healthcare landscape.

Vision: Chicago Medical School graduates will be leaders in developing and delivering the health care of tomorrow.

versus

Mission: Chicago Medical School educates physicians & scientists dedicated to providing exemplary, compassionate patient care and excellence in scientific discovery within an interprofessional environment.

Vision: To be an outstanding community based medical school with excellence & innovation in medical education, scientific discovery and clinical care.

I submitted on the 14th and I have still not gotten anything from them... :(

Can anyone comment on the differences in Mission & Vision between the website and the secondary application?

For reference, they are different:

Mission: To educate physicians to be leaders in an interprofessional environment, who are able to adapt, innovate and discover in an ever changing healthcare landscape.

Vision: Chicago Medical School graduates will be leaders in developing and delivering the health care of tomorrow.

versus

Mission: Chicago Medical School educates physicians & scientists dedicated to providing exemplary, compassionate patient care and excellence in scientific discovery within an interprofessional environment.

Vision: To be an outstanding community based medical school with excellence & innovation in medical education, scientific discovery and clinical care.

The first speaks strictly of the MD program. The second one is all encompassing

This diversity question is nearly impossible. Are my experiences living, volunteering, and working in specific underserved area a good topic to talk about for this prompt

Has anyone else who submitted their secondary on the first day it came out not received a complete email yet?

I submitted my secondary application on the 12th and just got the "complete" email a few minutes ago.

Has anyone else who submitted their secondary on the first day it came out not received a complete email yet?
I submitted mine right after midnight the day it came out (so technically I submitted on July 11th, not July 10th) and still have not received my email stating that my application is complete.

Last edited:
This was a total off-the-cuff school for me! I randomly sent in my primary here last night at midnight, got my secondary this morning at 7, and am not submitting it at 7:45. I know nothing about Chicago, but hey if I get an II I'll soon learn! Good luck everyone.

Prompts anyone?!

1. Why did you choose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS? Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

2. We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Rosalind Franklin University Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

Same as last year!!

Anyone submitted their secondary on 7/15 or before and still hasn't received a completion email?

Anyone submitted their secondary on 7/15 or before and still hasn't received a completion email?

It took me 14 days to get my completion email (submitted on 7/10), so I wouldn't worry yet.

I submitted 7/15 and just received the completion email on Friday. Yours should be coming soon

I got my complete e-mail 2 weeks after I submitted

does anyone know about this interprofessional learning environment?

Well the way they explained it is that they have like scenario based learning within one of the newer rooms they have on campus. It's a big conference room with a couple of sets of computer stations that face each other, possibly to make it harder to see the other person's screen. From what I gathered, there are scenarios played out using those computers and other methods and people from other health professional schools within rosalind will do the team scenario with you? Not entirely too sure since it was a while back, but the gist of it is that you meet and work with other allied health professionals in preparation for when you actually have to do it for realz. Outside of that I don't remember much else about it.

Well the way they explained it is that they have like scenario based learning within one of the newer rooms they have on campus. It's a big conference room with a couple of sets of computer stations that face each other, possibly to make it harder to see the other person's screen. From what I gathered, there are scenarios played out using those computers and other methods and people from other health professional schools within rosalind will do the team scenario with you? Not entirely too sure since it was a while back, but the gist of it is that you meet and work with other allied health professionals in preparation for when you actually have to do it for realz. Outside of that I don't remember much else about it.

You will have a class where students from the MD, podiatry, pharmacy, PA, clinical psych, and pathology are interspersed in groups of 7-8. You'll then work together in class on different medical scenarios and have a project to complete - usually at a local clinic. You will also take a biostats class with the pharmacy students. The screens are set up so that all students at a table can view content NOT for isolation. Cooperation is the focus for the class and interaction is encouraged.

Reactions: 1 users
You will have a class where students from the MD, podiatry, pharmacy, PA, clinical psych, and pathology are interspersed in groups of 7-8. You'll then work together in class on different medical scenarios and have a project to complete - usually at a local clinic. You will also take a biostats class with the pharmacy students. The screens are set up so that all students at a table can view content NOT for isolation. Cooperation is the focus for the class and interaction is encouraged.
Thanks yea, I just remmebered what I could from the interview day

You have multiple classes with other schools. Also clubs and events are usually interprofessional with students from all over. You probably won't be studying with them that much, but its great to have friends in other programs. Other classes that are interprofessional that haven't been mentioned above are:

Anatomy - taken with Podiatry
Neuroscience - taken with PHDs and other graduate programs
Pathology - taken with Path Assistants
There's probably other classes that I'm leaving out.

Its actually very rewarding getting to know the other professions. I had no clue about path assistants or their training process until I became friends with some of them. I'm much more aware of what Physical Therapists do and how they interact with their patients. Both these programs take more anatomy courses than us and are have phenomenal knowledge of certain areas.

Also, in the Interprofessional Clinic, you'll be working with Physician Assistants, nurses, etc.

As with everything else in medical school, interprofessionalism is what YOU make out of it. You don't have to interact with the other professions at all (besides some mandatory projects that aren't hard). On the other hand, you can make some great friends and gain some great insight.

Reactions: 2 users
Do they want us to focus on mission and vision when answering the first question? That doesn't seem like a great way to specify why CMS as opposed to another school, since they basically all have the same mission

Do they want us to focus on mission and vision when answering the first question? That doesn't seem like a great way to specify why CMS as opposed to another school, since they basically all have the same mission
I did but also answered why I want to go there using their keywords from the mission/vision.

Does anyone know of what community service opportunity this school offers? I can't find anything on their website. Thanks!

Does anyone know of what community service opportunity this school offers? I can't find anything on their website. Thanks!

There's a few programs and clubs. This is in no way a comprehensive list but what I can remember off the top of my head:

Interprofessional Community Clinic is a free healthcare and is completely student run with volunteer attendings that help diagnose and treat patients.
Outreach for Health does many simple screening such as cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.
Step UP is an opportunity to tutor at high school around the area.
Phi Delta Epsilon is a medical fraternity that does many events such as helping with food banks.

There's MANY others. Its easy to get involved. There's a student activities fair in the first few weeks of school.