2015-2016 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's strange. I called the admissions office today since I had the Final status change 7 days ago. They said I would have to wait until April 6th, the next decision day to hear back... Did you get a background check email before the call?
No background check email. They told us that depending on who you interviewed with and how soon they get their "review" of you in, that you might find out sooner rather than later. My interviewer must have been on the ball!

Members don't see this ad.

No background check email. They told us that depending on who you interviewed with and how soon they get their "review" of you in, that you might find out sooner rather than later. My interviewer must have been on the ball! I did see that status change the day before I got a call so I'm not sure how it works once your status changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually also called recently (because I had the portal update for over a week) and they said that we would receive and email sometime within the next couple of weeks, or possibly a call. The email could be for acceptance/waitlist/or rejection. This seems inconsistent with some of the other information I've heard lol but I thought I would share. Good luck everyone!

I actually also called recently (because I had the portal update for over a week) and they said that we would receive and email sometime within the next couple of weeks, or possibly a call. The email could be for acceptance/waitlist/or rejection. This seems inconsistent with some of the other information I've heard lol but I thought I would share. Good luck everyone!
When they called they said that I had been on the alternate list and that I had been moved from that list to the accepted list. That may explain why they are telling people they may have to wait a couple weeks; as they hear back from people giving up seats they should be making more calls...?

When they called they said that I had been on the alternate list and that I had been moved from that list to the accepted list. That may explain why they are telling people they may have to wait a couple weeks; as they hear back from people giving up seats they should be making more calls...?
Thank you for clarifying. In my interview they said everyone who isn't called the first time the group meets is technically on the alternate list. Do you mean that list, or were you waitlisted?

I'm on the edge of my seat hoping for an acceptance call. Really liked this school!

Thank you for clarifying. In my interview they said everyone who isn't called the first time the group meets is technically on the alternate list. Do you mean that list, or were you waitlisted?

I'm on the edge of my seat hoping for an acceptance call. Really liked this school!

I haven't heard anything at all, actually. So no waitlist or acceptance. But as I remember, everyone is put on the "alternate list" and then they accept batches of people from there. So I'm assuming that they met, if the person above received an acceptance call? It's all very confusing.

I haven't heard anything at all, actually. So no waitlist or acceptance. But as I remember, everyone is put on the "alternate list" and then they accept batches of people from there. So I'm assuming that they met, if the person above received an acceptance call? It's all very confusing.

People that arent in the top 20-30 scored applicants who get accepted at each date are waitlisted. Entirely possible you break into that with your interview and get accepted without waitlist from there.

Reactions: 1 user

I was never waitlisted so the alternate list. They did say that everyone from our round of applications was place on the alternate list until a decision was made... but yes very confusing all around.

I was never waitlisted so the alternate list. They did say that everyone from our round of applications was place on the alternate list until a decision was made... but yes very confusing all around.

Since you guys seem confused: waitlist = alternate list, FYI :). They hand out very few post-ii rejections, almost everyone ends up on the alternate list after being scored and then they accept 20-30 ppl who are ranked at the top at each decision date. The alternate list picks up movement, mostly in May, by rank.

It is a little weird that you heard back prior to a decision date, but that may just mean that people are beginning to call in to withdraw and you were at the top of the rankings. There's one more decision date sometime next week, and then the rest of us alternate listers can probably expect some substantial movement after April 30. Congrats nonetheless!

Does anyone know if the financial aid award is subject to change? Can we expect some movement regarding scholarships/grants as the entering class solidifies? Can the award be appealed?

RE the earlier comment about lack of response from Miami to applications, "it would be extraordinarily time consuming to have all 8,000+ applications thoroughly reviewed by three separate people. Unfortunately, it appears that your applications were excluded during the aforementioned process. "

So, Miami, just click on "reject" once the application is "excluded" and no one will get frothy. Nearly every other MD school in the US manages to communicate decisions, even with more apps than Miami. And, it's not like this is their first margarita. Just say "no" and move on versus being soulless and discourteous. As for the people who write here, "hey, twisted knickers, get used to indifference and cold shoulders or you won't make in med school!" I reply: I can get used to it, but can still call it out for what it is, especially when better and larger schools, with far more applicants, manage some modicum of courtesy. If Harvard can say "no," why can't Miami?

Does anyone know if the financial aid award is subject to change? Can we expect some movement regarding scholarships/grants as the entering class solidifies? Can the award be appealed?

Not entirely sure, but if it's a major factor in you leaning towards matriculating elsewhere, I would try emailing about it towards the end of the cycle. I know plenty of people who have tried this at other schools, some of who were able to get additional funding once they explained their circumstances and interest in the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some advice. I have
Question for those of you with scholarships:

Did you have other offers from schools when you got scholarships?
If so were you holding offers at more or less prestigious schools?

I'm asking to see if anyone got scholarship money with just one acceptance at Miami or had a second acceptance at a really low tier school. Logically it would make sense to give scholarships to the students that may not end up coming vs the students that have no other options but to come. Just curious :)
How exactly are you determining the tier of your school?

Question about the alternate list ranking, if anyone knows:

What exactly is your rank score based on? Is it just your preliminary application score + secondary score + interview score combined? Any info on how the breakdown on points would be?

Does anyone know roughly when they finish up rejections if they're going to reject you? This is the only school I haven't heard back from so just waiting before I look for housing at another university.

Does anyone know roughly when they finish up rejections if they're going to reject you? This is the only school I haven't heard back from so just waiting before I look for housing at another university.

They are done interviewing, so I would take it as a rejection if you haven't heard anything pre-II. There were people receiving rejection letters up until June during last cycle, so I would expect them to start rolling out relatively soon.

Has anyone else's FinAid posted yet? All that's showing is my reward but not the rest............

For those of you asking about scholarships from UM, about 25% of the incoming class will get one (ranging from $5-35k per year). Most of those are given out a merit basis, with a few given out on a need basis. All are awarded at time of admission and renewable for 4 years, and thus are fixed (including need-based awards, which are not reviewed on a yearly basis). Most of the merit-based awards are given out to people with GPA and MCAT scores above the accepted average, but it's not a perfect correlation.

Also, for those of you complaining about high tuition costs and high interest rates, as an Economics major in undergrad I can tell you that med schools are simply behaving rationally as any profit-maximizing business would do: charge as high as they can until market supply is in equilibrium with demand. But the same time, as a rational consumer, you should have the ability to decide based what options you have and if it's worth it to pay the price for what you're offered. For med schools, they all know that even now, physicians from American med schools still have a good chance of making a reasonably decent profit in the future, and thus that's why you get ~5% acceptance rates at med schools across the country even with the high tuition, high interest rates, and high application costs that you must pay. In contrast, for example, PhD programs will almost always PAY for their students to do the PhD and pay for all interview costs during the application process, and even then the application process to get a PhD is not nearly as competitive. Why? Because the future expected earnings of a PhD degree are currently much lower than that of an MD. So the bottom line is: if the financial cost of something is outside what you have or are willing to spend, then don't go for it and complain.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you asking about scholarships from UM, about 25% of the incoming class will get one (ranging from $5-35k per year). Most of those are given out a merit basis, with a few given out on a need basis. All are awarded at time of admission and renewable for 4 years, and thus are fixed (including need-based awards, which are not reviewed on a yearly basis). Most of the merit-based awards are given out to people with GPA and MCAT scores above the accepted average, but it's not a perfect correlation.

Also, for those of you complaining about high tuition costs and high interest rates, as an Economics major in undergrad I can tell you that med schools are simply behaving rationally as any profit-maximizing business would do: charge as high as they can until market supply is in equilibrium with demand. But the same time, as a rational consumer, you should have the ability to decide based what options you have and if it's worth it to pay the price for what you're offered. For med schools, they all know that even now, physicians from American med schools still have a good chance of making a reasonably decent profit in the future, and thus that's why you get ~5% acceptance rates at med schools across the country even with the high tuition, high interest rates, and high application costs that you must pay. In contrast, for example, PhD programs will almost always PAY for their students to do the PhD and pay for all interview costs during the application process, and even then the application process to get a PhD is not nearly as competitive. Why? Because the future expected earnings of a PhD degree are currently much lower than that of an MD. So the bottom line is: if the financial cost of something is outside what you have or are willing to spend, then don't go for it and complain.

Thanks for the information! So merit scholarships are only awarded at the time of admission? I was admitted back in November with no scholarship... so safe to assume I won't be receiving one?

Thanks for the information! So merit scholarships are only awarded at the time of admission? I was admitted back in November with no scholarship... so safe to assume I won't be receiving one?
Unfortunately yes, nearly all of them are given at time of admission (usually a few weeks after you get your admit decision).

Unfortunately yes, nearly all of them are given at time of admission (usually a few weeks after you get your admit decision).

Well, darn. Thank you for your response! So do the scholarships given to students who decide not to attend not get handed out?

I get what you are saying but that is perhaps one of the most calous ways I have ever heard it phrased, especially from a current student who is representing your school.

I hope the UM administration doesn't share your view of "were charging as much as possible because we can, and if you don't like it quit complaining and go somewhere else."

Edit: also UM (and every other U.S. Also school besides northstate) is not profit maximizing, it's a non-profit. If I wanted to go to a profit maximizing school Id go to Ross lol

Just got the waitlist email :/ super sad, hoping there's a lot of movement. Does anyone have any idea what financial aid is like for people pulled off the waitlist? I'm expecting probably almost no scholarships?

Just got the waitlist email :/ super sad, hoping there's a lot of movement. Does anyone have any idea what financial aid is like for people pulled off the waitlist? I'm expecting probably almost no scholarships?

I was on the alternate list from the first decision date up until second week of March and received a $40,000 scholarship. Keep your head up because anything is possible. :)

Reactions: 4 users

Hey sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get pulled off the alternate list! If you don't mind me asking, when was your interview date?

Alt list here as well :-/ really thought my interview went well, too. This was my top choice and I really hope I get off of it. Good luck everyone!

Alternate list for me too... interviewed March 7th. I was kind of expecting this with such a late interview, but still bummed.

I get what you are saying but that is perhaps one of the most calous ways I have ever heard it phrased, especially from a current student who is representing your school.

I hope the UM administration doesn't share your view of "were charging as much as possible because we can, and if you don't like it quit complaining and go somewhere else."

Edit: also UM (and every other U.S. Also school besides northstate) is not profit maximizing, it's a non-profit. If I wanted to go to a profit maximizing school Id go to Ross lol

Plenty of "non-profit" organizations make money, even charities have administrative fees (some heftier than others -- the Red Cross "lost" $500 million in donations for Haiti). It's just a tax status and doesn't say anything about whether the organization is operating at a profit or not.

Not to imply that UM is raking in huge profits from med students, but the tax status isn't informative.

Alt list here as well :-/ really thought my interview went well, too. This was my top choice and I really hope I get off of it. Good luck everyone!

Alternate list for me too... interviewed March 7th. I was kind of expecting this with such a late interview, but still bummed.

Did anyone get accepted this past week for the MD program? Why would people just get alternate listed on a non-release date? The next official release date is April 6th. Does anyone know if the release this week was only alternate list releases, and that acceptances may still go out on April 6th as officially planned?

Did anyone get accepted this past week for the MD program? Why would people just get alternate listed on a non-release date? The next official release date is April 6th. Does anyone know if the release this week was only alternate list releases, and that acceptances may still go out on April 6th as officially planned?
I'm quite confused with that as well.

Hi! First time poster on this thread... new to SDN too! I was called and accepted earlier this week to the MD/MPH program! So maybe they had an extra "unofficial" release date for that program.

Has anyone tried calling to check status/chances of coming off of the waitlist and received an answer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you guys are really intense haha
But actually tho. I hope the new class isn't as intense as they seem on here. Just chill out y'all.

Reactions: 2 users
But actually tho. I hope the new class isn't as intense as they seem on here. Just chill out y'all.

Y'all, eh ? Losing anonymity ;) not too many people in a given UM class say "y'all". But then again there weren't too many Canadians either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Y'all, eh ? Losing anonymity ;) not too many people in a given UM class say "y'all". But then again there weren't too many Canadians either

Uhhhh I thought y'all was a southern thing aka what I'm used to lol

Uhhhh I thought y'all was a southern thing aka what I'm used to lol

Miami isn't really the south. And there aren't that many true southerners in UM class, at least there weren't in my class :)

Last edited:
Miami isn't really the south. And there aren't that many true southerners in UM class, at least there weren't in my class :)

I know Miami isn't the south lol. My class has a few southern gentlemen (and belles).

To not derail this thread further: Get excited for second look weekend, everyone! Can't wait to meet some of y'all!

To not derail this thread further: Get excited for second look weekend, everyone! Can't wait to meet some of y'all!

I got the invite for the Diversity Celebration Reception... Does anyone know if it is meant for everyone or for those from "diverse groups"? (Being as the subject line of the email is "Diversity Reception" and the sponsoring groups are SNMA (Student National Medical Association), LMSA (Latino Medical Student Association), Medic-Out, etc.) It's hard to tell if it is for everyone or meant for minority groups without saying so specifically...

If I was accepted in December but still haven't gotten any sort of scholarship/financial aid, is it safe to assume by now I won't be getting any?

Hi! First time poster on this thread... new to SDN too! I was called and accepted earlier this week to the MD/MPH program! So maybe they had an extra "unofficial" release date for that program.
Congrats! What day did you interview?