2021-2022 Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So earlier this week my portal changed from

"Your applications and interview report will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine" to

"Your applications and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine."

I interviewed in early March and have not heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question, do you guys think it is unprofessional to only go to some of the vritual second look day meetings today? I have work for a lot of the day and so I could only make one or two of them at different times. Should I just not worry about it or do you guys think they wouldnt care if a random student popped in and out for only 2 of items on the agenda?

Random question, do you guys think it is unprofessional to only go to some of the vritual second look day meetings today? I have work for a lot of the day and so I could only make one or two of them at different times. Should I just not worry about it or do you guys think they wouldnt care if a random student popped in and out for only 2 of items on the agenda?
should be fine, there are 149 people on the call

Reactions: 1 user
I heard a rumor once that the MPH classes for the MD/MPH were going to be online for the first month or so for late June and through July. Is that true or are they starting in person? Thanks.

Another Question about MPH classes. I thought they were pass-fail but am now hearing that they are graded?

I heard a rumor once that the MPH classes for the MD/MPH were going to be online for the first month or so for late June and through July. Is that true or are they starting in person? Thanks.
Another Question about MPH classes. I thought they were pass-fail but am now hearing that they are graded?
At the second look day session they basically said classes would be in person unless something crazy happens(?) and they also said the MPH classes are graded.

Was scored sometime in September but never received an II or R - randomly checked my interview portal and the text now says "Your application is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee." instead of what it said before about my application being scored. Does anyone know what this means? I am assuming they are done interviewing by now.

Hey all, Im currently accepted to the md/mph and had a few questions:

1. is it possible to drop the mph and just do MD? Or do you have to get accepted separately to the MD only program?

2. Will doing an md/mph hinder my shots at competitive residencies such as derm or optho? or will I basically be in a situation where I have to do internal medicine or family medicine or fields similar to those?

3. Does anyone know what the match list is like for the MD/MPH graduates? I would love to compare it to the MD only match list

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No, you have to do both degrees.

2. Just my opinion, but having both degrees can only be a positive thing when applying for residency. You'll probably do research as part of the MPH curriculum and you'll have a unique perspective on healthcare.

3. There is a slide in the MD/MPH presentation on the hub that has information regarding specialties that people match into. It's not just IM, FM, and OBGYN.

1. is it possible to drop the mph and just do MD? Or do you have to get accepted separately to the MD only program?

2. Will doing an md/mph hinder my shots at competitive residencies such as derm or optho? or will I basically be in a situation where I have to do internal medicine or family medicine or fields similar to those?

3. Does anyone know what the match list is like for the MD/MPH graduates? I would love to compare it to the MD only match list
the one caveat about research and the MPH is that from what I hear in my classmates there's a lot of busy work associated with getting the MPH. And while yes, you are doing research it may not always be directly related to your specialty of interest. You'll often hear the MPHers asking PDs if their public health research counts and theyre told yes. however, if were being honest, for the ultra competitive specialties they really wanna see the focus of the applicants research in that specific specialty. If you can tie public health stuff into the specialty then obviously that counts but you really gotta have more traditional research if that isn't the case for you. all this to say I feel like the extra work associated with the MPH can detract from time that could be focused on doing specialty specific research. however, they match into all specialties and it can be done. one of them matched neurosurgery this year but he did a research year and is an all around goat

edit: idk if any MPHers are following this thread but if ya'll are it would be valuable to see if you guys agree

1. No, you have to do both degrees.

2. Just my opinion, but having both degrees can only be a positive thing when applying for residency. You'll probably do research as part of the MPH curriculum and you'll have a unique perspective on healthcare.

3. There is a slide in the MD/MPH presentation on the hub that has information regarding specialties that people match into. It's not just IM, FM, and OBGYN.
Thank You for the reply!

I was wondering if you had any insight about this. My top choice program is the MD only, but I am currently only accepted for the MD/MPH program. While i am extremely blessed for the MD/MPH and would do it without hesitation, I would prefer to do the MD only program. Would it look bad to email the school stating my preference? how would i go about doing it? i dont want them to think that I dont want the MD/MPH and that im not fully committed to it, but the MD only is my top choice program.

I think the reason you can't transfer is because they only have a limited number of student spots at Jackson Memorial, so the remaining MD/MPH students go to JFK. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if you sent an email reiterating your interest in the MD-only program.

I've also heard from many MD MPH students that you have enough time to do both the MPH research and other research in the field that you want to. I know of MD MPH students who are also going into competitive specialties like plastics

Waitlisted last week after a March interview. Best of luck folks.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does the Miller School require us to use the plan to enroll and commit to enroll functions on AMCAS?

Has anyone else got an updated financial award package that includes a scholarship, but didn't get a letter explicitly stating what the scholarship is? I want to know if I can assume the scholarship applies to all 4 years

Withdrew my application today. I knew it was a longshot, but my wife's entire family lives here, so I shot my shot. While I was loathe to do so, since I feel we are owed a response having paid a secondary fee, they are notorious for ghosting. This was the last school I was waiting on and can now consider my application cycle definitively concluded. Best of luck to all still under consideration at Miller!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my application today. I knew it was a longshot, but my wife's entire family lives here, so I shot my shot. While I was loathe to do so, since I feel we are owed a response having paid a secondary fee, they are notorious for ghosting. This was the last school I was waiting on and can now consider my application cycle definitively concluded. Best of luck to all still under consideration at Miller!
Miller and FSU are my two remaining schools that I have had total silence since last year. I'm almost certain which school I will be attending in the fall but it feels silly to still have radio silence from these schools at this point in the cycle. Best of luck to you, you will find success wherever you decide to go!

Miami out here ghosting us longer than my gf ghosting me on a "girls trip" to Miami...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I just got a pre-II R followed by an email that had absolutely nothing in the body except "Medical Admissions Office would like to recall the message, "Miller School of Medicine: Final Admissions Decision"

About 20 seconds ago they resent the rejection email, likely because they wanted to reject me not once but twice

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R finally received!!! honestly glad thats finally over lol since submitting in July
+1, I got pre-II rejected from every Florida school as a Florida resident despite getting a lot of love OOS. Goes to show how weird medical school app cycles go. Good luck y’all!

I was also rejected 2x, once three weeks ago and then another yesterday LOL

+1, I got pre-II rejected from every Florida school as a Florida resident despite getting a lot of love OOS. Goes to show how weird medical school app cycles go. Good luck y’all!
I didn't apply to too many schools but same here. Nothing from our 8 IS schools and my only two IIs came from other large public OOS schools, definitely learned my lesson if I have to reapply!

finally got the pre-II R. Guess they were on an "adcoms trip" in Miami beach and finally got to send the R's!

Just got an email asking if I would like to remain an alternate and whether I had committed to another medical school

Just got an email asking if I would like to remain an alternate and whether I had committed to another medical school
+1, not sure if everyone on alternate list got the same email though

What makes you think that??
I just thought they would want to gauge interest from everyone & narrow their choices before WL movement starts…I’m also just trying to keep my expectations low lol

I just thought they would want to gauge interest from everyone & narrow their choices before WL movement starts…I’m also just trying to keep my expectations low lol
unless im having a 118 CARS moment, I think that was the point of the email. To cull the list of actually relevant waitlisters prior to serious waitlist movement.

I still haven't been rejected, not sure why....

Just withdrew my A, good luck everyone!