2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone with an II please let me know what interview days are still available? I might be in NY the first week of October, and wonder if it's feasible to send an ITA email...

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone with an II please let me know what interview days are still available? I might be in NY the first week of October, and wonder if it's feasible to send an ITA email...
Don't have an II here (yet) but for what it's worth, I sent them an ITA e-mail and their response was just that they'll note the dates I mentioned in my file. And I've had other people tell me they're not receptive to ITA e-mails. The response might be different for you with your stats, though :)

Reactions: 1 user
Moving on. If I can't be with the ones I love, I'll love the ones I'm with (on interview day!!)

So has anyone gotten an II here without extensive research?
Me. I had only had about 200 hrs total. This actually resulted in a publication with me as the 2nd author, but honestly not a ton of research. I got the II about a week after I submitted the secondary.

Hi!

I'm a first year at UofR right now. I can answer any questions you'd like.

In general: Rochester is a great school. If you get an interview here, make sure to read up on the BioPsychoSocial Method-you'll hear about it. Our class is pretty small-104 people or so- it happens to be more guys than girls, but this is the first time that's happened for a while. Students at UofR tend to be bit older than many other schools- 70% of us took a gap year or more. You'll see us for sure-the student lounge is on the way to our morning classroom. People are from all over the country- lots of Californians, Southerners, Utahans? Seattleites, etc.

Rochester itself is a bit quiet for sure, especially if you're from NYC or LA or Chicago. There are several brand new bars near the med center, but the hospital is about 15 mins from downtown rochester. Plenty of cool little restaurants etc, but I'm too poor to enjoy them right now haha

For those who get an II, you'll get a few pre-interview questions to fill out. It's not long- like 50 words bout your favorite things, hobbies, etc, that takes 10 mins to fill out. Also read through your app before you submit- you will be asked questions whether you like it or not

Reactions: 4 users
Hi!

I'm a first year at UofR right now. I can answer any questions you'd like.

In general: Rochester is a great school. If you get an interview here, make sure to read up on the BioPsychoSocial Method-you'll hear about it. Our class is pretty small-104 people or so- it happens to be more guys than girls, but this is the first time that's happened for a while. Students at UofR tend to be bit older than many other schools- 70% of us took a gap year or more. You'll see us for sure-the student lounge is on the way to our morning classroom. People are from all over the country- lots of Californians, Southerners, Utahans? Seattleites, etc.

Rochester itself is a bit quiet for sure, especially if you're from NYC or LA or Chicago. There are several brand new bars near the med center, but the hospital is about 15 mins from downtown rochester. Plenty of cool little restaurants etc, but I'm too poor to enjoy them right now haha

For those who get an II, you'll get a few pre-interview questions to fill out. It's not long- like 50 words bout your favorite things, hobbies, etc, that takes 10 mins to fill out. Also read through your app before you submit- you will be asked questions whether you like it or not
Thank you for the advice! Rochester sounds great.

Also read through your app before you submit- you will be asked questions whether you like it or not
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the interviews are blind. This was in my confirmation: "Interviews at Rochester are done "blind", which means that the faculty interviewing you will not have access to your application materials or academic credentials. The interviewer will know your name, undergraduate college or university, degree program and year of graduation, and your four most important extra-curricular/volunteer experiences ( as entered by you below). We do "blind" interviews intentionally because we want the interview to focus on you, the individual, and not on your grades or test scores."

At this point is it worth it to really study your app? Or would it just be best to think about how the experiences you listed helped you grow as a person and potential physician and maybe think of ways you can generally relate them to other aspects of your application?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the interviews are blind. This was in my confirmation: "Interviews at Rochester are done "blind", which means that the faculty interviewing you will not have access to your application materials or academic credentials. The interviewer will know your name, undergraduate college or university, degree program and year of graduation, and your four most important extra-curricular/volunteer experiences ( as entered by you below). We do "blind" interviews intentionally because we want the interview to focus on you, the individual, and not on your grades or test scores."

At this point is it worth it to really study your app? Or would it just be best to think about how the experiences you listed helped you grow as a person and potential physician and maybe think of ways you can generally relate them to other aspects of your application?
Regarding "studying" one's app. Perhaps the earlier poster was alluding to the fact that some people forget what they wrote on their own applications. I've heard of scenarios in which an applicant can't recall when they did something, or that they actually did something (and included it on the app, which they wrote 7 months previously).

Regarding "studying" one's app. Perhaps the earlier poster was alluding to the fact that some people forget what they wrote on their own applications. I've heard of scenarios in which an applicant can't recall when they did something, or that they actually did something (and included it on the app, which they wrote 7 months previously).
yeah you're probably right. I guess the only thing I'm confused about is how he said we will get questions about our app whether we like it or not. And I personally think that everyone should be reviewing their app before the interview, but then I'm just wondering who would be asking questions about the app if the interviewers were both blind. Certainly not the tour guide... haha.

yeah you're probably right. I guess the only thing I'm confused about is how he said we will get questions about our app whether we like it or not. And I personally think that everyone should be reviewing their app before the interview, but then I'm just wondering who would be asking questions about the app if the interviewers were both blind. Certainly not the tour guide... haha.
Hahaha. And yes, that is a good point. I haven't thought of that....hmmm

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry, my bad for any confusion. nake sure you know what you put down. Though rochester has blind interviews, you don't want to tell your interviewer anything different from what you put down in your app.

Though in the interest of honesty, I totally forgot that rochester has blind interviews-i interviewed in early september last year, so my memory was a bit hazy. But now that you'Ve correxted me, rochester definitely has blund interviews-i checked with my classmates

Rochester interviews ppl from September to March. About 700 ppl are interviewed for a class of about 104. Most years, Rochester pulls heavily from the waitlist, but last year only 2-3 people from our class came off the waitlist.

About 30-40 percent of the class comes from early entrance programs from around the country-URMC has early linkages from UofR, Xavier, Colgate, Bryn Mawr post bac, etc. The biggest represented colleges are UofR, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Colgate, Hamilton, Bryn Mawr, Yale, etc

Sorry, my bad for any confusion. nake sure you know what you put down. Though rochester has blind interviews, you don't want to tell your interviewer anything different from what you put down in your app.

Though in the interest of honesty, I totally forgot that rochester has blind interviews-i interviewed in early september last year, so my memory was a bit hazy. But now that you'Ve correxted me, rochester definitely has blund interviews-i checked with my classmates

Rochester interviews ppl from September to March. About 700 ppl are interviewed for a class of about 104. Most years, Rochester pulls heavily from the waitlist, but last year only 2-3 people from our class came off the waitlist.

About 30-40 percent of the class comes from early entrance programs from around the country-URMC has early linkages from UofR, Xavier, Colgate, Bryn Mawr post bac, etc. The biggest represented colleges are UofR, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Colgate, Hamilton, Bryn Mawr, Yale, etc
okay that makes a lot more sense. I appreciate the clarification

How long did it take to receive a secondary from here?

So my interview is tomorrow and I just submitted my essays and activities section even though they asked us to do it one week prior to the interview. I completely missed that. How bad is it that I just submitted now? I hope it doesn't seem like I was being negligent, I just totally missed it.
One of my interviewers didn't even read that info, so who knows

Any news? Seems like nothing's happened much since that first batch of IIs.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those who just got IIs!

I interview here this week and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed here so far could tell me how it went. What you liked/didn't like, the vibe you got from the interviewers/students/school, if the interview was stressful, what the ethical group discussion was like, or anything else interesting.

Thanks!

Congrats to those who just got IIs!

I interview here this week and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed here so far could tell me how it went. What you liked/didn't like, the vibe you got from the interviewers/students/school, if the interview was stressful, what the ethical group discussion was like, or anything else interesting.

Thanks!

Interview was pretty chill. I liked it way more than I was expecting. All the students were super friendly and while we were waiting in the admissions lounge, students just kept stopping by asking us how our day was going, if we had any questions, if we needed help with anything etc etc. The interviews were super calm and conversational. During the interview, they gave me the impression (although I could be wrong) that they were already interested in giving me an admissions offer which I presume is the case for everyone (that's why you received the interview invitation after all). The ethical group discussion was very low-key. Sat around and everyone took turns sharing their thoughts on the pretty standard ethical scenario. Can't really think of anything I disliked. Seems like a great place to be a medical student. I stayed with a student host, which was also great.

Interview was pretty chill. I liked it way more than I was expecting. All the students were super friendly and while we were waiting in the admissions lounge, students just kept stopping by asking us how our day was going, if we had any questions, if we needed help with anything etc etc. The interviews were super calm and conversational. During the interview, they gave me the impression (although I could be wrong) that they were already interested in giving me an admissions offer which I presume is the case for everyone (that's why you received the interview invitation after all). The ethical group discussion was very low-key. Sat around and everyone took turns sharing their thoughts on the pretty standard ethical scenario. Can't really think of anything I disliked. Seems like a great place to be a medical student. I stayed with a student host, which was also great.
Thanks for the quick/thoughtful reply!

If anyone else wants to add anything, feel free!

This may have been posted previously but has anyone applied here with new mcat score AND gotten an II? If so can you please share your stats? Thanks!

This may have been posted previously but has anyone applied here with new mcat score AND gotten an II? If so can you please share your stats? Thanks!

Yeah, they were my second (and latest interview) in late August. I scored a 517, balanced MCAT. GPA of ~3.8. Extensive clinical experience and no research.

II this morning! OOS, LizzyM 69-70, complete 8/15. Dates available early to mid november. I chose 11/26, hope to see some of yall there! Can't wait to visit!!! HappyKittyEmoji needed!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone knows whether U Rochester is flexible with prerequisites?

Meme.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, an II to an 8/15, it truly is getting close. (I was complete 8/20).

So has anyone gotten an II here without extensive research?
I did, I have 0 research experience. However, I also worked full-time during full-time undergrad.
34 Lizzy... 34MCAT/3.87cGPA/3.94sGPA. Nonresident.

Jul 08 - AMCAS complete
Jul 09 - secondary app requested
Jul 21 - secondary completed
Jul 30 - II for Sep 17

I adored this school! They keep it real here... in a real good way.

I did, I have 0 research experience. However, I also worked full-time during full-time undergrad.
34 Lizzy... 34MCAT/3.87cGPA/3.94sGPA. Nonresident.

Jul 08 - AMCAS complete
Jul 09 - secondary app requested
Jul 21 - secondary completed
Jul 30 - II for Sep 17

I adored this school! They keep it real here... in a real good way.

Yeah, but your app is on roids. Haha! Congrats tho!

Does anyone else see this on their status page? No II's yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.59.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.59.56 PM.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 291

I don't have it, must mean you got an II and didn't get the email yet :D

I just checked mine and it looks like that too. I think it is an II--there is a tab to select a date and all that... I'll probably wait a day or two for an email before I get too excited though.

Update: Just got an email. Yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks guys, I did get an email too! UR is one of my top choices..

Submitted 7/15, completed 7/16

Reactions: 3 users
I just interviewed at UR and I am really interested in the MD program. Students seem to be very happy and and really like their professors. The only thing I fear is the weather and things to do outside of school. I didn't see many bars nearby or typical hang out spots for med students. Can someone correct me? What is it like living in Rochester? I'm from California and am not used to such extreme winter climates.

For those that are interested in my stats:

URM
3.85 from top 10 university
29 MCAT (P12, V6, B11)
Fair amount of research
Great letters and ECs

II, complete 8/12! I'm now officially in a great mood :)

Ahh it's getting close then! I was complete 8/20, so I hope I hear something soon!

Does anyone know if Rochester is receptive to ITA emails?