2015-2016 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Under review since 7/6. 38/3.9, non-trad. Good luck!
Thanks for the quick response. When you say under review, was there a specific website for UT Houston where we could check our status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response. When you say under review, was there a specific website for UT Houston where we could check our status?

I received an "Application Received" email on that date saying I was "UNDER REVIEW".

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else here not received an e-mail saying your application was received? I transmitted 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received anything.

I have! @SouthernPreDoc June/26 .. but haven't heard from them since then. It was a email stating my application was recieved and it will
be under review till further notice.

Has anyone else here not received an e-mail saying your application was received? I transmitted 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received anything.

I would actually advise you to call/email them. The same thing happened with me for UTMB; every Texas school had sent me a verification email but them. After I called them, they sent me the verification email within 2 hours. I'm sure they have your app and just forgot to send the email.

I called them and they said they received my application, but they haven't processed it. It's been 3 weeks and I'm starting to think it's going to put me at more of a disadvantage. Guess I'll just wait. :rolleyes:

Was anybody able to get a reschedule on their interview date? I can't make any of the three dates on the portal. Sent them an email but no response after two days.

Edit: oops, I meant "can't" not "can"

Last edited:
Was anybody able to get a reschedule on their interview date? I can make any of the three dates on the portal. Sent them an email but no response after two days.
Congrats on the interview! Would you mind sharing stats and when you received "under review" email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing! I wasn't under review until 7/21 so I guess I should patiently wait. What day of the week are they interviewing btw?
Yeah, you are probably fine. Hope you get your invite soon!

Seems like only Friday as of now. I'll let you know if they tell me otherwise.

Yeah, you are probably fine. Hope you get your invite soon!

Seems like only Friday as of now. I'll let you know if they tell me otherwise.
Great thanks for the info and good luck!

Was anybody able to get a reschedule on their interview date? I can't make any of the three dates on the portal. Sent them an email but no response after two days.

Edit: oops, I meant "can't" not "can"

Pick up the phone and call them

Pick up the phone and call them
Thanks for the suggestion, but I wasn't really sure who to call. The other schools I have rescheduled at provided me with a specific phone number for rescheduling. UTH only gave me an email address so I went with that.

I'll try calling the school directly tmr, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wasn't really sure who to call. The other schools I have rescheduled at provided me with a specific phone number for rescheduling. UTH only gave me an email address so I went with that.

I would just call the admissions office. I've called twice in the past few weeks and they're really nice. They're totally open to questions and want to help!

Thanks for sharing! I wasn't under review until 7/21 so I guess I should patiently wait. What day of the week are they interviewing btw?

I got my under review e-mail 7/21 as well. I got my II today. Be on the look out!

I got my under review email back on 7/1 and no II yet. It has been a long wait.

Congrats to everyone with IIs! I'm a current MS1 at UTH, so if any of you have questions about the interview, feel free to ask.

Did you receive an email beforehand about your status? And also mind listing your stats?

Congrats BTW, that's awesome!

I don't think I got any emails beforehand, I just got one email with the interview invite information.
My interview is for August 28 and my stats are OOS LizM score of 76

Reactions: 1 users

Did you hear anything? I'm in the same boat as you!

The phone operators were very nice and helpful, but indicated that requests regarding interview dates must arrive via email.

Here are the dates for interviews this year. Good luck, everyone! Lemme know if you have any questions about UTH or the process in general... I'm an MS1 here!

Attachments

• 1439932865222.jpg
    1439932865222.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: 8 users
So I applied to all 3 Houston med schools (including Galveston in my count since it's the same airport). Would August be considered too early in the season to call UT Houston and let them know I'll be in town for another interview in September? It's going to cost at least 400 dollars each time I fly to Texas :(

Here are the dates for interviews this year. Good luck, everyone! Lemme know if you have any questions about UTH or the process in general... I'm an MS1 here!

Hi,

I was just wondering what interviews were like--interviewing 8.28! It's my first one so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was just wondering what interviews were like--interviewing 8.28! It's my first one so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!
I'm another MS1 here at UTH. My interviewers here were great. They were part of the reason why I chose to come here! Very conversational. You should get their name when you check in in the morning. It might be a good idea to quickly look up their bio on your phone just to see what they do research/practice etc. It just gives you another topic to bring up in conversation if needed! I hope this helps. If you have another other questions, feel free to inbox me! There are a couple of us MS1's on here but, we many not check the forums very often!

Is anyone else in the same situation as me? I transmitted 7/21 and still haven't received an e-mail from admissions saying they received my application, or that my application is under review. I called 2 weeks ago and they said to call back in two weeks, so I guess I'm calling them tomorrow. They said it takes 2-3 weeks for those emails to go out, but it's already been 5. I feel like it's putting me at a disadvantage and I'm starting to worry.

Hi,

Thanks!

Houston, in my and a lot of others' opinions, puts on the best interview day of all the Texas schools... It's definitely part of why it was my favorite! It's been a while since my own, and idk if anything is changing this year, but I'll give it a quick rundown. In the morning there is a breakfast with other interviewees and student ambassadors, during which you watch some funny and informational videos about the school/hear some high-ups talk. Then half go on to interviews (2 interviews - one has your entire application, the other one has everything except your MCAT scores and GPA). I had interviews in the morning, right up until lunch which is the BOMB. Fajitas and chocolate cake (which is famous across med school interviewees), sitting with professors and med students. Then I went on a tour of the school, Memorial Hermann hospital, and I believe St. Luke's hospital. Got to go up to the helipad and get in the care-flite helicopter too. Then a bus tour around the med center as well as student housing/the rec center. After that, I believe everything was finished. Overall an AWESOME interview experience...cant wait for y'all to experience it yourselves!

Reactions: 3 users
Houston, in my and a lot of others' opinions, puts on the best interview day of all the Texas schools... It's definitely part of why it was my favorite! It's been a while since my own, and idk if anything is changing this year, but I'll give it a quick rundown. In the morning there is a breakfast with other interviewees and student ambassadors, during which you watch some funny and informational videos about the school/hear some high-ups talk. Then half go on to interviews (2 interviews - one has your entire application, the other one has everything except your MCAT scores and GPA). I had interviews in the morning, right up until lunch which is the BOMB. Fajitas and chocolate cake (which is famous across med school interviewees), sitting with professors and med students. Then I went on a tour of the school, Memorial Hermann hospital, and I believe St. Luke's hospital. Got to go up to the helipad and get in the care-flite helicopter too. Then a bus tour around the med center as well as student housing/the rec center. After that, I believe everything was finished. Overall an AWESOME interview experience...cant wait for y'all to experience it yourselves!
Sold. Now I just need an II.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm thinking about calling them because I'll be in Houston for my Galveston interview, and with flight and car rental I'll be spending 500 dollars, so it would be great to do both interviews in one trip.

Is it too early in the season to call them about this?

I mean I don't think it would hurt you in any way... They are very nice people in the office. Worst thing that happens is they say that they can't accommodate you, best case they can. But I don't think you'll come off as desperate or hurt your application just by asking if it's possible to save you a whole lot of money

I mean I don't think it would hurt you in any way... They are very nice people in the office. Worst thing that happens is they say that they can't accommodate you, best case they can. But I don't think you'll come off as desperate or hurt your application just by asking if it's possible to save you a whole lot of money
OK I will get on it first thing tomorrow. Thanks for your input!

Word of advice: Dont be a tool when you call the admissions office. They are extremely nice and will do all they can to help you but also remember that if you come off as entitled, they WILL remember who you are.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I'm so happy, was volunteering this morning so I was going to call them now, but I got an II email!!! Yay
2 days before my Galveston interview. SO HAPPY AND RELIEVED (saving $500 thanks to their timely II)
Complete email on 7/6, LizzyM 76

Reactions: 10 users
II ! Complete email on June 26, OOS nontrad.

Reactions: 3 users
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I'm so happy, was volunteering this morning so I was going to call them now, but I got an II email!!! Yay
2 days before my Galveston interview. SO HAPPY AND RELIEVED (saving $500 thanks to their timely II)
Complete email on 7/6, LizzyM 76

Congratzz!! What interview date did they give you?