2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jealous...fellow cali OOS here and still not hear anything back yet :(
Keep your head up! I am sure you heard the stats on oos acceptances this year. All you need is an interview!

+1

OOS Cali
Woot Woot California reppin. Where in cali are you from and when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!! That is a fast turnaround. Did Dr. Chan call you?

Tell me about it! They told us at our interview not to expect to hear anything until March 1st, and then not even two weeks later Dr. Chan called me with some very good news. Needless to say I was happily surprised when he called.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted a little over a month ago. Interview 11/02. Has anyone else been accepted that interviewed 11/02?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your head up! I am sure you heard the stats on oos acceptances this year. All you need is an interview!

Woot Woot California reppin. Where in cali are you from and when did you interview?

NoCal xD

Interviewed in January.

I didn't know you had already gotten accepted here! That's awesome, congrats to both you and @sosoSoCalpreMD :)

Don't fret! OOS acceptances are starting to roll in from across the nation. I'm sure you'll hear soon.

There are no shortage of stories from people with Feb/March acceptances. Indeed, Utah sends out most acceptances in March. You got this.

Last edited:
A little late to the game but got accepted a couple weeks ago. I really liked this school and the environment it's in. The interview was my first time in Utah. It was truly beautiful there. I am thrilled at the idea of going here!

Anybody know if UT is still interviewing for OOS applicants? I don't have an II and I'm wondering if it's kind of a "silent rejection" or if I still have a chance. :eyebrow:

Anybody know if UT is still interviewing for OOS applicants? I don't have an II and I'm wondering if it's kind of a "silent rejection" or if I still have a chance. :eyebrow:
They are still going. I just got my II today

Reactions: 1 users
I know we are scheduled out until at least feb 19th. That is totally up for change (could go longer could go shorter). Take it for what it's worth. I have no idea about in-state vs out of state interviews either.

I know we are scheduled out until at least feb 19th. That is totally up for change (could go longer could go shorter). Take it for what it's worth. I have no idea about in-state vs out of state interviews either.
And from what I recall from the interview scheduling calendar (I looked at it two months ago mind you, so take that for what it's worth) I think interviews went all the way out to Feb 29, and they do two interview days per week, which means they may still have a few interview days left.

They are still going. I just got my II today

And from what I recall from the interview scheduling calendar (I looked at it two months ago mind you, so take that for what it's worth) I think interviews went all the way out to Feb 29, and they do two interview days per week, which means they may still have a few interview days left.

Thanks, y'all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I still haven't heard back yet. I am not really expecting to hear back until March. Do you expect to hear back before then?
I guess that's why I was asking. If nobody from Idaho has heard back yet I guess they are just going to pick towards the end of the cycle. I guess we will see.

I guess that's why I was asking. If nobody from Idaho has heard back yet I guess they are just going to pick towards the end of the cycle. I guess we will see.

That is my guess too. Waiting is the hardest part of all this.... :whistle:

Is anyone else having problems logging into the portal today?

I logged on earlier today with no problems. It could potentially mean good news for you guys! I heard that they update your portal when you get accepted.

Is anyone else having problems logging into the portal today?
It won't let me even pull up the login page. I click on the link to get to the portal and it says the page is not responding.

I just barely logged on with no problem. If they are doing maintenance, wouldn't they shut all of them down?

I logged on earlier today with no problems. It could potentially mean good news for you guys! I heard that they update your portal when you get accepted.
Haha I wish!! Still waiting for an II :)

Hmmm okay still can't get the page to load or login....wondering if I should call admissions. Anyone else still having this problem?

They just sent out an email with a new link that should work.

Why is it that only some people can not get online? I never got an email with a new link.

Accepted in November just before thanksgiving. Good luck everyone.

Why is it that only some people can not get online? I never got an email with a new link.
Same here. I can't access and didn't receive the email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did doctor chan say the rest of the class will find out who got in by March 1st or the 15th?

I just got a call from Dr. Chan this morning. It's still setting in but this was my number one school so once I come to my senses I'm going to be really excited.

My interview date was Jan. 11. Good luck to everyone!

How many newly accepted students are in the Facebook group? I'm just curious to know how many have been accepted so far.

I just got a call from Dr. Chan this morning. It's still setting in but this was my number one school so once I come to my senses I'm going to be really excited.

That is awesome. Congratulations! I interviewed on Jan 8th and still haven't heard anything.

Congrats!! Are u in state or out of state?

That is awesome. Congratulations! I interviewed on Jan 8th and still haven't heard anything.

Good luck! I'm sure they told you that most of the decisions are made in March. I hope you get some good news between now and then!

Congratulations! What a quick turn around from your interview date. What do you think made the difference? Was there one or two things that really stuck out in your application or interview?

Congratulations! What a quick turn around from your interview date. What do you think made the difference? Was there one or two things that really stuck out in your application or interview?

Yeah! I was very surprised by how fast they got back to me. I had tried hard to put it out of my mind until March, and getting the call today was a very nice surprise.

As far as things that made a difference, both of my traditional interviews were with physicians from the field that I'm interested in and that I have spent 6 years doing research in. I don't know if they designed it that way, but it helped break the interview mold, and I left the traditional interviews feeling very good. For the multiple minis, I highly recommend taking a look at the University of Washington's online bioethics course (https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/). I read through it and the case studies that come with each section, and it really prepared me well.

Another thing is that I was a reapplicant. I wasn't even offered an interview at Utah last year, and when I got my rejection, I asked admissions for feedback. The feedback came directly from Dr. Chan himself, and it was very detailed. The only catch is that they can't release it directly to you. You have to have your pre-med adviser request it and then meet with the adviser to go over it. If you are an out of state student, don't worry, they will work with out of state schools (I was in Arizona when I requested feedback). I really focused on improving the areas of weakness presented by Dr. Chan in last year's feedback (average volunteering hours and a personal statement that wasn't very engaging). For anyone who fails to get in this year, I highly recommend requesting feedback and following through on it. The feedback on its own is valuable, since it comes directly from the dean of admissions (this is honestly amazing, since most schools flat out refuse to give you feedback at all), but they also keep track of people who were rejected in the past, requested feedback, and took measures to improve.

Finally, really pay attention to your writing and show your personal statement to as many people as possible. I was a cell biology major and have done research for 5 years after graduating, so the only writing I've done in the past 7 years is scientific writing. I honestly hate personal writing and hate sharing it with people, but I sucked it up and showed it to my friends, family, colleagues.. basically anyone who said they could look at it for me. I asked them to make sure that everything I included in my statement told them something about myself and my journey to the medical field. I recommend finding a few people that don't know you that well and get them to look at it too. A lot of my close friends and family looked at it and said it was good as it was because they know me already and they like me (hopefully). It was the people who didn't know me quite as well who could point out where the story lost them, and I think those people were more likely to criticize in general. It was a long process, but I was really proud of the end product and I felt like it represented me very well. Also, I spent a lot of time on writing about the AMCAS activities list in the primary application. Don't just explain the responsibilities of each activity you list. Explain why you did it and what you learned from it.

I hope this information is helpful, and not too much of a wall of text. I got a bit carried away.

How many newly accepted students are in the Facebook group? I'm just curious to know how many have been accepted so far.

+1. I would be interested to know too. I think they said about 25% would be accepted before march which is about 25 seats. And it seems like more than that have been accepted. Though I haven't actually gone through and counted or anything.

Ahh! Congratulations! That was my interview date as well....I had almost gotten to the point where I wouldn't check my phone obsessively for Dr. Chan's call...here's to hoping for good news in March!

Ahh! Congratulations! That was my interview date as well....I had almost gotten to the point where I wouldn't check my phone obsessively for Dr. Chan's call...here's to hoping for good news in March!

Same here. March can't come soon enough :nailbiting:

Congratulations to you! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA and MCAT? I'm curious as I've seen a lot of people with low MCATs be accepted early, which really does speak a lot to the holistic process.

Thanks!

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.36, but most of the damage was done early as an undergraduate before I got myself together. My last two undergrad years and my graduate years were 4.0 or close to it. My MCAT was a 520.

Well congratulations!!! It seems you were in fact an extremely well rounded candidate, with a stellar MCAT, experiences, and a solid upward GPA trend! You absolutely deserved an early offer! I'm shocked they didn't take you last year

Thank you! Best of you to you this year!

Hi everyone! I tried to look for this answer on my own, but I can't find it. I interviewed here back in November, and I remember meeting with Dr. Chan and he told us something about roughly 30 percent of the incoming student body hears back BEFORE like the middle of March or something like that... Am I remembering right? I am kind of losing hope for the other schools that I interviewed at, and I would like to keep at least some shred of hope before I give up for this year. Let me know if I am mistaken, and when most students hear back. Thanks!! :)

haha! I just looked at the page before this one and found my answer... don't know how I missed that one. But still, if anyone cares to elaborate further on anything else regarding the number of admissions, etc., feel free! I am sure that most people here love to freak out over more admissions information and speculation, including myself... :0

Got a call from Dr. Chan this morning. I am still in shock. I definitely did not expect to be in the 25-30% of early acceptances.

Reactions: 7 users
The Facebook group currently has 59 members (some are admin) so I think they are accepting beyond the 25-30% now!

OOS Interviewed in October and still waiting to hear back. With all these acceptances, I'm beginning to lose hope. Keeping fingers crossed though!