2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'M IN I'M IN I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the call from Dr. Chan just before 10 this morning. I knew who it was when I saw the number, and I cried over the phone when he told me the good news.

I've been rejected from Utah (and all medical schools for that matter) two years in a row, and it was such a discouraging feeling each time. I've been through this whole waiting process a few times, I've talked to anxious family and friends and had to tell them that "I'm still waiting" or "yep, I'm reapplying again. THIS will be the year."

I was really beginning to worry about this application cycle, worried that a fourth round of applying was on my horizon. I feel so much relief and joy right now. For those who are still trucking along waiting for an acceptance somewhere, whether this be your first time around or your second, just keep moving forward and doing your best. I know how hard it is, but now that I am here with this acceptance, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is absolutely worth it when you arrive. I can also tell you that, having fallen short of this outcome twice, that the victory that has finally come is all the sweeter to me.

Reactions: 20 users

I got the call from Dr. Chan just before 10 this morning. I knew who it was when I saw the number, and I cried over the phone when he told me the good news.

I've been rejected from Utah (and all medical schools for that matter) two years in a row, and it was such a discouraging feeling each time. I've been through this whole waiting process a few times, I've talked to anxious family and friends and had to tell them that "I'm still waiting" or "yep, I'm reapplying again. THIS will be the year."

I was really beginning to worry about this application cycle, worried that a fourth round of applying was on my horizon. I feel so much relief and joy right now. For those who are still trucking along waiting for an acceptance somewhere, whether this be your first time around or your second, just keep moving forward and doing your best. I know how hard it is, but now that I am here with this acceptance, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is absolutely worth it when you arrive. I can also tell you that, having fallen short of this outcome twice, that the victory that has finally come is all the sweeter to me.
Hey congrats! You deserve it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

When did you interview, btw?

Reactions: 1 user

Atta kid Ginred. You've been on the grind long enough and you deserve it bro. Congrats! Make us proud!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man! I just got a call from a Salt Lake number. Yeah... it was just a collections call asking for the the person who had this phone before me. I was getting a little excited when I looked down...but nope. Nada.

Reactions: 3 users
Got off work to see that I had missed a call this morning from SLC. Barely managed to restrain myself from happy crying in the staff lounge when I heard Dr. Chan's voice on the voicemail. Talked to him not too long ago and couldn't keep from jumping up and down in my living room while still on the phone with him. Is this real life?

Interviewed 2/5 for those interested. Non-trad. OOS but graduated from college in UT about 5 years ago. Now I just got to figure out how I'm going to pay that hefty OOS tuition...

Good luck to everyone still waiting for good news!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh man! I just got a call from a Salt Lake number. Yeah... it was just a collections call asking for the the person who had this phone before me. I was getting a little excited when I looked down...but nope. Nada.
Hahaha well at least the collections call wasn't for you. Hang in there! I'm anxiously anticipating the call as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Ginred, where did you complete your undergrad? Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm still crossing my fingers that I see an 801 number on my caller ID soon...

Ginred, where did you complete your undergrad? Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm still crossing my fingers that I see an 801 number on my caller ID soon...

When did you interview, btw?

Here's my story-

I'm a UVU graduate. AMCAS GPA: 3.56 MCAT 33. Got the secondary complete status email early September, interview date was December 21.

Dang telemarketers! Crossing my fingers for you!

Last edited:
Will someone post a link to the facebook group?
Sorry pal. It looks like word must've got around that their Facebook group could be seen by the public. I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm guessing that they probably have about 90-100 people accepted by now. Anybody who is actually in the group willing to give us an update?

Members don't see this ad :)
86 as of this morning!
I interpreted this the wrong way at first and wondered why people were liking it. I've spent some time in the restaurant biz and 86 has a certain meaning, so that's where my mind went: I thought you were saying your application got 86'd today- which confused me because I thought you'd been accepted already. Glad that isn't what you're saying!

On a side note, the link for the Facebook group isn't working for me...

Last edited:
I interpreted this wrong way at first and wondered why people were liking it. I've spent some time in the restaurant biz and 86 has a special meaning, so that's where my mind went: I thought you were saying your application got 86'd today- which confused me because I thought you'd been accepted already. Glad that isn't what you're saying!

Haha yeah I don't know what that even means but sorry for the confusion!

Haha yeah I don't know what that even means but sorry for the confusion!
No you're good, 86 just means that a menu item is all out or it means to take a certain item out of an entree (aka if some doesn't want mushrooms in their meal we'd say "86 the mushrooms.")

No you're good, 86 just means that a menu item is all out or it means to take a certain item out of an entree (aka if some doesn't want mushrooms in their meal we'd say "86 the mushrooms.")
Hmmm that's weird! Wonder how such a phrase came about!

Sorry to ask again, but... would it be safe to assume that after March 1st is when everybody will hear back? Should we be checking our emails and the portal for rejections/waitlisting??
So nervous, and really hoping to get accepted >.<! Please just call me, please!

Sorry to ask again, but... would it be safe to assume that after March 1st is when everybody will hear back? Should we be checking our emails and the portal for rejections/waitlisting??

I wouldn't assume anything right now. I don't think that facebook serves as a solid indicator of how many people have been accepted, because we have no idea how many people use facebook actively (personally, I don't use facebook at all). Also, the school has probably been pretty busy over the past couple of days due to Vice President Joe Biden visiting Huntsman Cancer Institute today, so who knows if they have been actively reviewing files this week (just a thought).

Personally, I think it is pretty unlikely that upwards of 40 people will be accepted this upcoming Monday and Tuesday. My guess is that the rest of the spots in the class will be offered over the course of the next two weeks. Hopefully, when the time comes, we will both be recipients of such good news :).

Anyways... good luck to everyone out there who is still waiting!

Speaking out of experience, I suspect wait list and rejection emails will go out closer to March 15, with phone calls going out up to that point.

Some cool news, Utah is getting another in-state medical school, available for application this upcoming cycle.
Awesome news for Utah students who don't have preference for MD or DO.

Rocky Vista University - Utah
http://www.rvu.edu/news/rocky-vista-university-to-open-new-medical-school-in-utah/
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2015/10/07/jla-medical-school-coming-to-ivins/#.VtCrBDanAVs
I remember when LECOM was looking at building in Provo and that Roseman (one the dental schools in Utah, specifically in South Jordan) was considering an MD program, in addition to RVU looking at Southern Utah. Sounds like one of these plans is actually happening then.

Last edited:
Speaking out of experience, I suspect wait list and rejection emails will go out closer to March 15, with phone calls going out up to that point.

I remember when LECOM was looking at building in Provo and that Roseman (one the dental schools in Utah, specifically in South Jordan) was considering an MD program, in addition to RVU looking at Southern Utah. Sounds like one of these plans is actually happening then.

I wouldn't assume anything right now. I don't think that facebook serves as a solid indicator of how many people have been accepted, because we have no idea how many people use facebook actively (personally, I don't use facebook at all). Also, the school has probably been pretty busy over the past couple of days due to Vice President Joe Biden visiting Huntsman Cancer Institute today, so who knows if they have been actively reviewing files this week (just a thought).

Personally, I think it is pretty unlikely that upwards of 40 people will be accepted this upcoming Monday and Tuesday. My guess is that the rest of the spots in the class will be offered over the course of the next two weeks. Hopefully, when the time comes, we will both be recipients of such good news :).

Anyways... good luck to everyone out there who is still waiting!

Thank you both for replying! I really hope we both get accepted. Just waiting :( It's going to be the most brutal two weeks now... Good luck to you too!! Hoping we both become classmates :D:D

PS -- anyone having trouble accessing the application portal? I wanted to sign on to see if there was anything posted on my portal.... but it won't open for me :/

Does anyone here know if the U requires parental tax information on the fafsa form?

Does anyone here know if the U requires parental tax information on the fafsa form?

Not sure how the U does it but a different school that I have been accepted to does. This is from their financial aid email they sent out:
"Regardless of your independency status, IUSM requires parental information on the FAFSA, specifically for need-based IUSM scholarships as well as any federal programs requiring the parent information, which includes the Loans to Disadvantaged Students and Federal Primary Care Loans."
This seems to be the case with a few other schools that I've looked into so I'm willing to bet that although parental information is not required, doing so gives you the highest chance of qualifying for the best financial aid possible.

Got my rejection email last Thursday. It hurt a little (maybe actually a lot) and allowed myself to mope a bit on Saturday, but now I'm feeling hopeful and I'm ready to get back on the horse! I still have one school that I interviewed at that I'm waiting to hear back from so not totally a loss, yet.

Congrats to everyone who has and will make it in this cycle! I admire your perseverance, and though I am jealous, I'm happy for you all!! Applying to medical school is such an emotionally trying process and I'm glad to see people finally achieving their goals.

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure how the U does it but a different school that I have been accepted to does. This is from their financial aid email they sent out:
"Regardless of your independency status, IUSM requires parental information on the FAFSA, specifically for need-based IUSM scholarships as well as any federal programs requiring the parent information, which includes the Loans to Disadvantaged Students and Federal Primary Care Loans."
This seems to be the case with a few other schools that I've looked into so I'm willing to bet that although parental information is not required, doing so gives you the highest chance of qualifying for the best financial aid possible.

I haven't reported parental Info on any of my FAFSA forms. These was something about supposedly it being needed but when I talked to the financial aid officer/person they said I didn't need to fill it out, I have yet to report it thus far. If there are any doubts though contact the financial aid office they are great :)

Got my rejection email last Thursday. It hurt a little (maybe actually a lot) and allowed myself to mope a bit on Saturday, but now I'm feeling hopeful and I'm ready to get back on the horse! I still have one school that I interviewed at that I'm waiting to hear back from so not totally a loss, yet.

Congrats to everyone who has and will make it in this cycle! I admire your perseverance, and though I am jealous, I'm happy for you all!! Applying to medical school is such an emotionally trying process and I'm glad to see people finally achieving their goals.

Hang in there! Best of luck!

Sending good vibes your way!! Best of luck, really hope you receive some good news in the next couple weeks!

When was your interview? Best of luck to you

Happy March 1st!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
2 weeks and counting to the big day (March 15)!!! Best of luck to everyone. I can't put in words the anxiety I have felt since my interview here (6 months ago almost). But I'm hoping for some good news!!

Does anyone know if they have rejected anyone post interview? I haven't seen anything in the past posts, but maybe I missed something. I'm just wondering if my odds have improved at all.

Last edited:
DrTwitch,

Also, has anyone received a call yet?

DrTwitch,

I'd like to know as well. Man, I thought I was a patient person until I applied to med school.... Found out that I'm not.

DrTwitch,

I believe that is a slightly different situation because, to my understanding, squareCD received a rejection pre-interview. As far as I've heard, they haven't sent out rejections to anyone who has interviewed at this point.

What's the deal with this silence? Does anyone know when the last acceptances will be rolling out?

Something tells me that they are a little bit busy using Romney to take down The Donald today... they might not get back to us today

Last edited:
A haiku:

Call me Dr. Chan
I desire admission
To the U of U

Reactions: 13 users
So, they now have about 100 members on the Facebook page, 5 of which are administrators. So, they only have maybe another 20 acceptances to issue? And then the rest of their acceptances come off their wait list, am I getting that correct? I am just surprised, because I was under the impression that March 15 there were going to be a ton of acceptances going out, but it sounds like if you haven't heard by March 15 you are either rejected or wait listed..

So, they now have about 100 members on the Facebook page, 5 of which are administrators. So, they only have maybe another 20 acceptances to issue? And then the rest of their acceptances come off their wait list, am I getting that correct? I am just surprised, because I was under the impression that March 15 there were going to be a ton of acceptances going out, but it sounds like if you haven't heard by March 15 you are either rejected or wait listed..
Yeah bruh. They accepted everybody before March 15th and if you didn't hear by then, you were waitlisted or rejected. That's how it worked out last year anyway.

They accepted somewhere around 160 last year. I'm not sure how many of those came off the wait list. I was told the majority of their class would be accepted between March 1st and March 15th but my buddy who interviewed later in the cycle said they were going to try to give out more acceptances earlier this year. It seems like that is the case.

Same goes for waitlisted then? Thanks for your response!
I was rejected last year post interview via email. I'm pretty sure waitlist peeps get the same type of thing. But if you are waitlisted, I don't think that Utah lets you know where you stand on the waitlist.

I feel like the class has been filled already and I'm destined for rejection and this wait time is causing me to catastrophize like crazy. Come on University of Utah, just let me know!

I feel like the class has been filled already and I'm destined for rejection and this wait time is causing me to catastrophize like crazy. Come on University of Utah, just let me know!
Easier said than done, I know, but don't freak out yet! There are still seats and still time. It doesn't seem like anyone has been accepted since the group a week and a half ago.

I'm right there with ya. I need to find something to occupy my time this week so I stop thinking about it.