2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+2

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile
CANT THEY JUST PUSH A BUTTON AND GIVE EVERYONE A RESPONSE AT THE SAME TIME?!?!
I havent gotten an email and if the CAPS LOCK doesn't give you an idea, I am freaking out....

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll just assume rejection until proven otherwise haha

anybody know the #'s that come off the waitlist? and or how many are on the waitlist

Still nothing over here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just got put on the Alternate List via email. Looks like the wait continues!

I think they send the email in alphabetical order

Waitlisted as well, for the second year in a row.

According to the new MSAR, last year Utah had a waitlist of about 90 and granted 24 acceptance offers to applicants on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a source by chance? And by alternate list, do you mean the waitlist?
The U calls it an alternate list. It is synonymous. In the packet they provided on interview day it said they accepted around 160 applicants last year for 122 seats. Idk how many get in off the waitlist though.

Reactions: 1 user
My assumption was safe. Just got rejected... Good luck on the wait list everyone! Looks like I'm going to be a DO! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Damn. Rejected. Here I was sad about the looming wait list. They really showed me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I really like this school and everyone from admissions but I really dislike they way they went about admissions this year. What's the point in telling everyone that 25% of the class will seated by March 1st and then the rest by March 15th when about >75% was admitted by mid February and almost everyone by March 1st. I get rolling admissions and everything but don't tell us you'll have this system and not follow it at all. I had a late interview and it was pretty much to get onto the wait list. I just got the email saying I did but I only wonder what could have happened if I had an earlier interview date.

Here's hoping I get lucky and a good amount of people reject their acceptances.

I really like this school and everyone from admissions but I really dislike they way they went about admissions this year. What's the point in telling everyone that 25% of the class will seated by March 1st and then the rest by March 15th when about >75% was admitted by mid February and almost everyone by March 1st. I get rolling admissions and everything but don't tell us you'll have this system and not follow it at all. I had a late interview and it was pretty much to get onto the wait list. I just got the email saying I did but I only wonder what could have happened if I had an earlier interview date.

Here's hoping I get lucky and a good amount of people reject their acceptances.

I don't remember exactly how it was phrased at my interview, but the impression I got was that at least 25% would be admitted by March 1st, and the deadline to notify everyone was by March 15th. In other words, the bare minimum they would accept by March 1st was 25% of the class but they could (and did) accept more than that.

If you're on the waitlist, don't lose hope! I got in from the WL; and I can personally attest to many, many of my classmates who did. It's not some "hypothetical" thing--it does really happen! Once people start giving up acceptances (most accept-ees have more than 1, seems like), things will move, especially around May 1st. If you're not in after that, you probably won't get in, because things move fast at that point.

I got a call from a No Caller ID number would that possibly be the admissions office???

I got a call from a No Caller ID number would that possibly be the admissions office???
I'm guessing they would've left a message. At least that is what has happened for others on here.

I just called and talked to the admissions office. They said that there are "close to 100 people on the waitlist, and between 25-45 accepted each year from it". Honestly, those are the best odds I have had yet at the U, so I will take it! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
I have a theory.. I hope I'm wrong but I'd like to hear thoughts on it. In years past it seems that Utah has waited until quite late in the game to hand out acceptances (around Feb-March). This likely caused those getting accepted into Utah, who already had acceptances, going to the schools that they had heard from earlier. This would obviously benefit the waitlist. This year it seems that Utah made a point to accept more people earlier on, and since the retention of people matriculating from Utah if they are accepted is high, I wonder if they will have an even higher retention because of them handing out acceptences earlier. This would obviously decrease the chances of getting in off the waitlist, as more people would choose to go to Utah.

Thoughts?

Also curious how the tuition will affect matriculation. Maybe many OOS people applied as IS and got accepted, but will wait to see if they get accepted elsewhere so they don't have to pay 60k.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a theory.. I hope I'm wrong but I'd like to hear thoughts on it. In years past it seems that Utah has waited until quite late in the game to hand out acceptances (around Feb-March). This likely caused those getting accepted into Utah, who already had acceptances, going to the schools that they had heard from earlier. This would obviously benefit the waitlist. This year it seems that Utah made a point to accept more people earlier on, and since the retention of people matriculating from Utah if they are accepted is high, I wonder if they will have an even higher retention because of them handing out acceptences earlier. This would obviously decrease the chances of getting in off the waitlist, as more people would choose to go to Utah.

Thoughts?
I think that is probably true to an extent. Also, the U loosened it's requirements for letters this past year. I'm willing to bet more people applied who wouldn't have otherwise and there may have been more in the pool that ranked the U lower as a result. I doubt it is much of a factor but it may decrease retention a little bit.

I think the biggest factor that is going to effect the waitlist is the new "in state" qualifying rules. I think a lot more students that would have chosen another school over Utah due to the tuition difference are now going to stay with Utah because they will get In state tuition. I think there will be even less waitlist movement this year than in previous years. Due to this and what has been previously stated. But that just my opinion.

I think the biggest factor that is going to effect the waitlist is the new "in state" qualifying rules. I think a lot more students that would have chosen another school over Utah due to the tuition difference are now going to stay with Utah because they will get In state tuition. I think there will be even less waitlist movement this year than in previous years. Due to this and what has been previously stated. But that just my opinion.

What are those new rules?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think those new rules only change whether you take an IS or OOS seat. Tuition remains the same. So you could technically apply as in state, take an in state seat, but not be a resident of Utah and pay OOS tuition (60k).

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted off the wait list! Dr Chan called just before 10 AM! I am so incredibly stoked right now! I will see you all in the fall! Best of luck to those still waiting.

Reactions: 7 users
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think those new rules only change whether you take an IS or OOS seat. Tuition remains the same. So you could technically apply as in state, take an in state seat, but not be a resident of Utah and pay OOS tuition (60k).

Yes, that's my understanding. As I understand it, the UUSOM has loosened their definition of In State students for admission to their medical school. Meanwhile, the office of graduate admissions has their own definitions for granting in state tuition. So, I suspect that there will be more IS wait list movement this year than in years past.

Just got accepted off the wait list! Dr Chan called just before 10 AM! I am so incredibly stoked right now! I will see you all in the fall! Best of luck to those still waiting.
Congrats and welcome aboard! I'm excited to meet you and everyone else on April 1!

Congratulations!! I hope this means some movement on the wait list. You are IS right?

Hey guys, I'd like to tell you my story. This is my third year applying to medical school. The last two years I was wait listed at 4 different schools including Utah twice. The first year I checked SDN every day. The last two years, to keep my sanity, I stopped cold turkey, and this is the first time getting back on.

This last year I decided basically only to apply to Utah and podiatry programs. I interviewed early and got into all the podiatry programs (some with a pretty good scholarship) but this last week I got the call and was accepted into Utah!

The last three years have been crazy. I got a couple of jobs working the health care field, lots of volunteering, shadowing physicians, and getting leadership positions. For those who are going to apply again next year, I highly recommend getting a job in a hospital. It helps. And although waiting sucks, especially for three years, somehow after getting the call it didn't matter. It just feels good start the long journey to becoming a physician.

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone else get an email about the Hubbard scholarship?

Nope. Was that one of the large list of scholarships due on the 15th? Were you awarded something already?

Yes. I actually forgot to submit the scholarship application that was due on March 15th so I was surprised when I received an email about being awarded the Hubbard scholarship. It is $6000 for the first year only.

Will be a part of the E2015 class. Feel free to ask me any questions! I'm an Idahoan, if that means anything of you all. Good luck!!
I am also an Idahoan student who will be applying to U of U this summer as my number one pick. I have been attending BYU and wanted to know if you have any idea of whether I would have better odds of getting in as one of the 8 Idaho students or as one of the 100 Utah students. I still have an Idaho drivers licence and so I could apply as either and Idaho student or Utah student. If I apply as a Utah student I may be giving up my in state advantage for applying to U of W Med school, which is my second pick. What do you think? Is there any data about that for the past??

I am also an Idahoan student who will be applying to U of U this summer as my number one pick. I have been attending BYU and wanted to know if you have any idea of whether I would have better odds of getting in as one of the 8 Idaho students or as one of the 100 Utah students. I still have an Idaho drivers licence and so I could apply as either and Idaho student or Utah student. If I apply as a Utah student I may be giving up my in state advantage for applying to U of W Med school, which is my second pick. What do you think? Is there any data about that for the past??

I am unfamiliar with that it means to be an in-state applicant. If you could be an in-state applicant, it'd be much better by far to apply to UU as a Utah resident, but you will be ineligible for applying to UW. And don't be so sure that you could apply as an Idaho resident, they have very stringent residency guidelines that are not as simple as having an Idaho driver's license.

I am unfamiliar with that it means to be an in-state applicant. If you could be an in-state applicant, it'd be much better by far to apply to UU as a Utah resident, but you will be ineligible for applying to UW. And don't be so sure that you could apply as an Idaho resident, they have very stringent residency guidelines that are not as simple as having an Idaho driver's license, attending an Idaho HS etc etc. You have to pretty much be living in Idaho unless you went directly into an OOS school with no breaks/gaps in taking courses.

I hit the wrong button--see 'quoted' post for full answer.

If you have been attending BYU you will get in state consideration regardless of whether or not you are a Utah resident. That said, if you are accepted to the U as an Idaho resident (even if you were considered as in state for interview purposes), you may have to pay out of state tuition which is something like 65k/year.

If you have been attending BYU you will get in state consideration regardless of whether or not you are a Utah resident. That said, if you are accepted to the U as an Idaho resident (even if you were considered as in state for interview purposes), you may have to pay out of state tuition which is something like 65k/year.

Not quite. If you get accepted as a verified Idaho student, you will pay in-state student but it will be harder to get in (there will likely be 10 seats).

If you are just using the fact that you graduated from BYU as a way to get in-state Utah consideration you will likely have to pay the out of state tuition unless you can prove Utah residency for tuition purposes.

Not quite. If you get accepted as a verified Idaho student, you will pay in-state student but it will be harder to get in (there will likely be 10 seats).

If you are just using the fact that you graduated from BYU as a way to get in-state Utah consideration you will likely have to pay the out of state tuition unless you can prove Utah residency for tuition purposes.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was implying that if you get accepted to the U as an Idaho resident without taking an Idaho seat.

For what its worth, there are a few people from Idaho who went to Utah schools and were considered In-state (non-Idaho) and they aren't part of the "Idaho" students. Essentially, they were Utahns for the purposes of applying and I don't believe they applied to UW. The Idaho students who get support from the state of Idaho are kind of our own separate group, even though there are more than 8 people with Idaho ties

Yes. I actually forgot to submit the scholarship application that was due on March 15th so I was surprised when I received an email about being awarded the Hubbard scholarship. It is $6000 for the first year only.

Wow! Congrats!

Just posting for a quick update on the Facebook page. There are currently 120 members, 4 admins, and 13 invited. I believe that means that there are actually only 107 students in it? IDK, I could be wrong about that, you facebook experts will have to correct me. Just thought you might like the update!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my application yesterday. It was a hard decision as I love Utah but it is time for me to move elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else who is on the waitlist. Hopefully one of you get my spot in the coming couple of days.