2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Easier said than done, I know, but don't freak out yet! There are still seats and still time. It doesn't seem like anyone has been accepted since the group a week and a half ago.

I'm right there with ya. I need to find something to occupy my time this week so I stop thinking about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

There are 103 members and 19 invited on the Facebook page. So it looks as though 121 offers have been made thus far. Dr. Chan said originally that they will make ~160 offers total.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
There are 103 members and 19 invited on the Facebook page. So it looks as though 121 offers have been made thus far. Dr. Chan said originally that they will make ~160 offers total.
Oh man, maybe this is it before the wait list then. I wonder if their changed requirements will affect the number of offers they extend.

Well, 103 + 19 = 122. Which is the size of their medical school class, I believe. Which means that there probably aren't going to be any more acceptances going out. A few of the 122 might be administrators, so maybe there are 3-5 more going out. But the rest of the '160' acceptances came off their wait list, so I wouldn't expect any more acceptances this year. Guess we will all have to wait until March 15 to see if we are rejected or just wait listed. I can't put in words how bummed I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call this morning, so I don't think they are done just yet. I interviewed on the second to last interview day.

Reactions: 6 users
Utah is a funny institution. Rejection is hard to handle sometimes... especially from our own state school. Last year when I was rejected, I ate an entire Hot n Ready pizza, drank over three liters of Diet Mountain Dew, and I really wanted to listen to B.o.Bs new album. Unfortunately, I didn't have internet so I stole the church's wifi to illegally download an explicit album. All time low.

This year, I applied more broadly and luckily I won't be slamming down pizza and dew. All in all, it's been a fun ride folks. Congrats to those who were accepted. And for the rest of us fighters, hang in there. Keep your feet movin.
(Btw, I actually bought the album on Amazon...edited. But I did use the church's wifi.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Last year when I was rejected, I ate an entire Hot n Ready pizza, drank over three liters of Diet Mountain Dew, and I really wanted to listen to B.o.Bs new album. Unfortunately, I didn't have internet so I stole the church's wifi to illegally download an explicit album...(Btw, I actually bought the album on Amazon...edited. But I did use the church's wifi.)
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!

Reactions: 3 users
I'M IN I'M IN I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the call from Dr. Chan just before 10 this morning. I knew who it was when I saw the number, and I cried over the phone when he told me the good news.

I've been rejected from Utah (and all medical schools for that matter) two years in a row, and it was such a discouraging feeling each time. I've been through this whole waiting process a few times, I've talked to anxious family and friends and had to tell them that "I'm still waiting" or "yep, I'm reapplying again. THIS will be the year."

I was really beginning to worry about this application cycle, worried that a fourth round of applying was on my horizon. I feel so much relief and joy right now. For those who are still trucking along waiting for an acceptance somewhere, whether this be your first time around or your second, just keep moving forward and doing your best. I know how hard it is, but now that I am here with this acceptance, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is absolutely worth it when you arrive. I can also tell you that, having fallen short of this outcome twice, that the victory that has finally come is all the sweeter to me.

@Ginred this is great to hear! I've been rooting for you this entire time. Maybe I'll see you on second look day. Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user

The majority of the 19 invites are from over a week ago. And 8 are from "about a month" ago. Yes, it is late in the admissions process but there is more work for the committee, especially if invitees don't choose to follow through. Anyway, it's just the Facebook page. I'd be surprised if there aren't more direct invites offered over the next week.

Reactions: 1 users
@Ginred this is great to hear! I've been rooting for you this entire time. Maybe I'll see you on second look day. Congratulations!
Hey thanks a bunch man! I still remember what you look like from assessment day last year, so I'll keep an eye out for you on second look day!!

Does anyone happen to know what the U's policy is on grades post-acceptance? Some schools have a specific policy posted on their website and can be as picky as even suggesting that anything lower than a B could be an issue with the possibility that you will either have to explain your grades or the committee will reconsider you. Has anyone heard of any experiences from where Utah is at with all of this? I'm just finishing up some non-related courses this semester and it would be nice to not need to over-stress them too much!

Any news today? I am going out of my mind over here! Also - does anyone know where to find this Facebook group that keeps being referred to? How are people seeing it?

Any news today? I am going out of my mind over here! Also - does anyone know where to find this Facebook group that keeps being referred to? How are people seeing it?
The Facebook group is a closed group for accepted students. You can't search for it.

Seems like any news is going to non-SDNers...it's been so quiet it only makes me more anxious...kind of preparing for the rejection email next Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like if you didn't hear back by March 1st you are in line for a waitlist or rejection email. Last year around this time acceptances were flying around like crazy. I don't think anybody has heard a word since March started.

Does anyone happen to know what the U's policy is on grades post-acceptance? Some schools have a specific policy posted on their website and can be as picky as even suggesting that anything lower than a B could be an issue with the possibility that you will either have to explain your grades or the committee will reconsider you. Has anyone heard of any experiences from where Utah is at with all of this? I'm just finishing up some non-related courses this semester and it would be nice to not need to over-stress them too much!

Due to me missing a lot of school during interview season, I ended up with two B- post-acceptance. None of the schools minded. I can't say anything about C's and below though.

Well I am assuming rejection/wait list at this point. I interviewed on 02/05. I guess I should prep myself for the next cycle. I'll let myself feel bummed out this weekend and than onward and upward. Good luck to all my fellow SDNers.

Well I am assuming rejection/wait list at this point. I interviewed on 02/05. I guess I should prep myself for the next cycle. I'll let myself feel bummed out this weekend and than onward and upward. Good luck to all my fellow SDNers.
Sending good vibes your way! I know you are awesome because I interviewed on 2/5 too and we had a great interview group! Hope you hear some good news soon, it might not be over yet!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well I was literally just reading this page to find out news when I got an email from Utah saying that my application is "no longer under consideration." I guess that's not even a waitlist. Well good luck to the rest of you.

Well I was literally just reading this page to find out news when I got an email from Utah saying that my application is "no longer under consideration." I guess that's not even a waitlist. Well good luck to the rest of you.
When did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected. Good luck to everybody else still in the game.

Last edited:
My inbox just feels like a timebomb about to go off right now...

Reactions: 1 users
When did you interview?

I interviewed in November. Its been a sad first cycle actually. I had 6 interviews which gave me hope but now all have rejected me except for UCLA which is just taking its sweet time. I actually just got a call from Loma Linda with a late-game interview though so that's my last chance I think.

edit: waitlisted not rejected technically. So I guess there's still hope.

I interviewed in November. Its been a sad first cycle actually. I had 6 interviews which gave me hope but now all have rejected me except for UCLA which is just taking its sweet time. I actually just got a call from Loma Linda with a late-game interview though so that's my last chance I think.

You mean you were waitlisted by the U?

I just got rejected. My cycle was the same. Started out really optimistic with a great number of interviews and slowly the rejections and waitlists are coming in.

refresh SDN....wait 30 seconds.....refresh email....wait 30 seconds....repeat

Reactions: 6 users
I still haven't heard either way...is anyone else still waiting for an email?

Also in the waiting boat

Just got the rejection email. Interviewed 10/26. Looks like its off to the midwest for me. Good luck to those still in it. Time to go burn all my Ute gear haha :boom:

Same here. Are we thinking that means waitlist?
I feel like there is bound to be another round or two of rejections. I'd like the wait list, but by no means am I getting my hopes up haha

I feel like there is bound to be another round or two of rejections. I'd like the wait list, but by no means am I getting my hopes up haha

probably true. A lot of people took the axe today, so it seems weird that they would hold off and spread it over a few more rounds. Especially since they've been able to consider my application for the 5 months its been since I interviewed. What will another 1-2 days do? haha. But I am definitely grateful to still be in the game at this point.

Sorry to all those who got rejected today. Hope you have acceptances elsewhere. :)

I had to read the email several times to make sure it was real. Rejected. So sad right now.

I had to read the email several times to make sure it was real. Rejected. So sad right now.
Did they send that today?! If so, my supposed worry free weekend is gone.. Best of luck to you!

Did they send that today?! If so, my supposed worry free weekend is gone.. Best of luck to you!
No. I am in a village in Afria and as such I do not always have easy access to internet let alone the contemporary worlds other conveniences. And thanks for the luck. Looks like I will need it.

Any chance more acceptances go out the next two days? Or are we just waiting for rejection/waitlist?

Any chance more acceptances go out the next two days? Or are we just waiting for rejection/waitlist?
I don't know for sure, but my hunch is that they are done with rejections for now. We are all ranked with an assigned score. I don't see why they wouldn't send out all of the rejections at once. It's not like they are looking at our applications and mulling over whether or not they want us at this point.

I don't know if there will be any acceptances between now and tomorrow but I'm guessing we are waitlisted.

Has anyone heard anything today? This waiting is torture. What does is all mean?!?!?!

Just got the wait list email