2015-2016 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AAMC Traffic Rules require applicants with multiple medical school acceptances to notify all schools where they hold acceptances of their decisions by April 30. Since April 30 falls on Saturday this year, the deadline has been extended until Monday, May 2. Once we have heard from all applicants holding an acceptance from us, we will know how may additional acceptances we can offer. We expect to make some acceptance calls starting on Wednesday, May 5.
VTCSOM Admissions Office
(540) 526-2560

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man I was hoping they wouldn't wait until after the multiple acceptance dateline. Oh well

Edit: the 5th is a Thursday, not a Wednesday!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Virginia Tech Carilion SOM has notified all applicants selected in our April round of admissions committee voting. We expect to make additional offers to applicants from our wait list starting in late May or early June.
VTCSOM Admissions Office
(540) 526-2560

Waitlisted as well. Been a long road so far! Hoping to hear good news in the coming weeks :)

hi guys :) congrats to everyone who got in! Long-time lurker here...I was just wondering if anyone knew what the waitlist movement is typically like after the April voting.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got into VTC this morning. They called and told me to amazing news!

any word on the wait list at this point? or just reapply regardless?

hey guys I want to apply here for this coming 2016-2017 cycle and wanted to ask about the screen for the secondary.

I am in state, 3.6 gpa and 505 mcat (123 in bio :/ but retaking in July) ... so if I submit with what I have now, will I get the secondary? Or is it better to wait until I get my retake scores back, although itll be later in the cycle?
I don't think it would hurt to try. You just need to strong in all other areas and especially in your science classes. I had a terrible verbal score but I wrote a killer personal statement and worked very hard on my interviews. You just have to compensate.

WAs anyone successful without having a lot of research experience? I do some research but no pubs, Conf,etc. I like this school, but I'm OOS without many research accomplishments. Still worth applying or would it be a waste of money? 33 MCAT, 3.95

WAs anyone successful without having a lot of research experience? I do some research but no pubs, Conf,etc. I like this school, but I'm OOS without many research accomplishments. Still worth applying or would it be a waste of money? 33 MCAT, 3.95
It sounds like you do have some experience in research. Some is better than none. You could possibly start something research wise either this summer or through the 2016-2017 school year- it couldn't hurt. As for your MCAT and GPA, they are a little over average for this school. Those could compensate for low research hours. There are some accepted with little research experience too. Also, OOS does not really matter for this school. They are a public institution with private ties but have more OOS attending than IS which means they probably accept more OOS. This has been said a million times on this forum, if you don't try you won't get in. So just give it a shot.

Class Stats: http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/class_statistics/

Long time lurker, but just made an account to answer your question. I will be attending this school in the fall and had some research experience (with one publication). My stats were 34/3.74 OOS. I'd say go for it, and when you get an interview definitely emphasize you have a strong interest in continuing research (I wouldn't apply to this school unless you do!).

It sounds like you do have some experience in research. Some is better than none. You could possibly start something research wise either this summer or through the 2016-2017 school year- it couldn't hurt. As for your MCAT and GPA, they are a little over average for this school. Those could compensate for low research hours. There are some accepted with little research experience too. Also, OOS does not really matter for this school. They are a public institution with private ties but have more OOS attending than IS which means they probably accept more OOS. This has been said a million times on this forum, if you don't try you won't get in. So just give it a shot.

Class Stats: http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/class_statistics/
Long time lurker, but just made an account to answer your question. I will be attending this school in the fall and had some research experience (with one publication). My stats were 34/3.74 OOS. I'd say go for it, and when you get an interview definitely emphasize you have a strong interest in continuing research (I wouldn't apply to this school unless you do!).

I definitely want to do research in medical school. My little research experience right now is not in a science field, but in medical school, I want to work in a science lab. I'm actually trying to find a science lab to work in right now while applying, but did not indicate that before submitting my AMCAS (because I'm not 100% certain I will find one immediately)

This school definitely looks great, and research is something I want to do in medical school. I don't want to be wasting money by applying where I won't even be considered, but you both make it sound like it's worth a shot.