2022-2023 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got the call!! Interviewed 2/7 and thought I bombed the MMI... can't believe they wanted me after that lol
Exactly how I felt lol!!

Members don't see this ad.

also got the call - all glory to God! interviewed on 1/10

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ya me too---did anyone get rejected or a hold? the delusional part of me thinks i'm getting a call lol but i'm guessing it's a hold--email forthcoming next week?
Yeah, in past years they’ve reevaluated everyone in April, then notify some that they want to keep them on the waitlist and will send Rs to everyone else.

I didn’t get a call either so definitely bummed, but congratulations to everyone accepted! VTC seems like a great program. 😊 Maybe a couple more of us will snag an A from the waitlist eventually!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
pre-ii R

I am fine with that because I was fortunate to receive an A from a school I like but "VTCSOM has declined to invite you to interview" as the email title is low-key a turnoff.

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I hope we all cross paths as future doctors one day :')

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my active status pool email. MSAR doesn't have any waitlist info :(
is it safe to say that you are waitlisted if you have received no communication yet?

any idea how many people get off the waitlist...i assume it's low since the class is only 49. I don't have MSAR or would check!

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-II R yesterday. Super bummed, but onward we march!

• Care
Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to the fortunate person who gets accepted (hopefully soon) and attends; seems like an incredible school!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Post II R this morning. It was my only interview. :(

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got notification that I was put on the WL. Anyone have any insight into how VTC manages the WL?

+2
I can’t imagine very many of us will get off the waitlist, but fingers crossed!
You’d be surprised! This is a school that’s skews toward research heavy applicants and there are many universities interested in the same applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
Has everybody been placed on the waitlist or were some rejected? Based on last year's thread some were rejected, but don't know if they're doing that this year. Was also wondering when do you guys think it would be the best time to send an update letter or a letter of interest? Was planning to send one this week since I thought decisions would come early April, but not so sure now.

mm anyone knows how big the waitlist is? or how many get off. MSAR just released data if anyone has acess

+2

You’d be surprised! This is a school that’s skews toward research heavy applicants and there are many universities interested in the same applicants.
agree. looks like VTC likes applicants with lots of research. there's definitely hope but I wish it came sooner. the 10-month wait is brutal....

Interviewed 10/15, Active-status 12/15. Active WL today 03/22. I believe they have a post-interview season round of acceptances in April.

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Varies
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Not Provided
Waitlist procedures and information
Interviewed applicants not initially accepted are re-evaluated in April. Qualified applicants are offered a seat or held on an active wait list until the incoming class matriculates.

^this is all thats on MSAR about the waitlist

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Varies
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Not Provided
Waitlist procedures and information
Interviewed applicants not initially accepted are re-evaluated in April. Qualified applicants are offered a seat or held on an active wait list until the incoming class matriculates.

^this is all thats on MSAR about the waitlist
I interviewed here two cycles ago and was active status pool but never put on the active waitlist and instead got the R at the end of April. None of their emails are worded the same this time around, but from what I can tell they did what they usually do in early April in late March instead this year. Especially considering the wording “Our admissions committee completed their final round of voting,” that they sent in the email today which would usually refer to that last April round of voting.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed here two cycles ago and was active status pool but never put on the active waitlist and instead got the R at the end of April. None of their emails are worded the same this time around, but from what I can tell they did what they usually do in early April in late March instead this year. Especially considering the wording “Our admissions committee completed their final round of voting,” that they sent in the email today which would usually refer to that last April round of voting.
awesome yea, so I guess, now it's just they have an internal rank or something and they can just call people as seats open up? were you waitlisted twice? that happened to me too at another school :(

Yeah, I think they're doing things differently this time around. Initially I was planning on sending an update this week for the last voting round in early April, but I'm not so sure now.

awesome yea, so I guess, now it's just they have an internal rank or something and they can just call people as seats open up? were you waitlisted twice? that happened to me too at another school :(
Yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever know what position we’re at and will just have to hope for the best!

Yeah, waitlists are rough :( I was waitlisted at my state school that year and was really close to being admitted (we knew our number and where the list was at), so I only applied to my state school the following year and then they just gave me a straight R. 🙃 So here I am yet again, but I have some DO acceptances this time so I’m very thankful that I’ll finally get to start school even if VTC doesn’t pan out.

Yeah, I think they're doing things differently this time around. Initially I was planning on sending an update this week for the last voting round in early April, but I'm not so sure now.
I’m inclined to say it won’t influence anything at this point, but who knows! Maybe they still move us around on the waitlist internally

I’m inclined to say it won’t influence anything at this point, but who knows! Maybe they still move us around on the waitlist internally
ok, I think late April/ early may be some movement....maybe the nice people who have multiple acceptances and want to withdraw and make choices? lol

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever know what position we’re at and will just have to hope for the best!

Yeah, waitlists are rough :( I was waitlisted at my state school that year and was really close to being admitted (we knew our number and where the list was at), so I only applied to my state school the following year and then they just gave me a straight R. 🙃 So here I am yet again, but I have some DO acceptances this time so I’m very thankful that I’ll finally get to start school even if VTC doesn’t pan out.
oh god, it's always the state school that does something fishy,.was this in Georgia btw

Do you mean to the same students?
Several of the sdn comments from last year say something along the lines of “Just accepted off of the WL but withdrawing, hope it goes to one of you,” and then the next person would say the same. So I’m assuming to some extent it was the same seat(s) that they all kept passing to the next person. I have absolutely no evidence to back that up and it’s not very important, just an observation 🤷🏼‍♀️

Several of the sdn comments from last year say something along the lines of “Just accepted off of the WL but withdrawing, hope it goes to one of you,” and then the next person would say the same. So I’m assuming to some extent it was the same seat(s) that they all kept passing to the next person. I have absolutely no evidence to back that up and it’s not very important, just an observation 🤷🏼‍♀️
There is a significant number of students who got in off WL it was not a single spot being passed around.

Nope :/ It also doesn't show in the CYMS tool on AMCAS like the email stated
I believe (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) it only becomes available after you've been accepted by at least one school. Afterwards you will be able to see other waitlist offers.

Would sending an additional letter of recommendation to Virginia tech help if you are on a waitlist?

Would sending an additional letter of recommendation to Virginia tech help if you are on a waitlist?
I would say no. But if you haven't reached out directly to admissions yourself yet (esp. phone call), I wouldn't discourage that...

I would say no. But if you haven't reached out directly to admissions yourself yet (esp. phone call), I wouldn't discourage that...
Any chance I could PM you? (your PMs are currently closed)

Anyone heard back regarding the scholarships (the ones where you have to write an essay and apply)? Or am I safe to assume that I got nothing lol

Has anyone gotten the lucky waitlist A since April 15th?

Does anyone know if VTC is P/F for all four years and also if there is internal ranking? Additionally, do they have a Step 2 dedicated study period?

Hello! Anybody know if there’s a GroupMe for accepted students ?