2022-2023 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that interviewed 10/15, how did it go? Any tips or advice you can give? Thanks!
I was shocked by how relaxed the entire process was. After attending the events, I know this is the school I hope to attend even if I get into a higher-ranked alternative. There are certain intangibles that are very important to me: community, collaboration, and research. If any of these are important to you, this may also be the school for you! If you are lucky enough to be part of future interviews, my advice for you is to let your hair down, be yourself, and engage with the other applicants. I have already made friends that I hope to see on a Second Look visit! Best of luck to you all and I hope you find this school as amazing as I did!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL! SO EXCITED!!

Edit: Secondary submitted: 8/2; II invite: 8/18; II: 9/17; LM: 71 ORM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted via phone call earlier this morning!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via phone call around noon EST!!! So hype!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Got the A earlier :) I decided to make a groupme for accepted members. DM me for the link!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Are you a VA resident and have above average stats and ECs?
VA resident yes, stats are average, but honestly I have no touchstone for what above average EC's are so I can't really give you an estimate on that one LOL. I do have a research-heavy app

Reactions: 1 users
How late does VTC send out interview invites? Submitted 7/25 and no word :(

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How late does VTC send out interview invites? Submitted 7/25 and no word :(
Last cycle I submitted within the first two weeks of opening. Got my II in January for the last interview date (Feb). Hang in there!!

WL today; complete 7/31. II 8/18. Interview 9/17.

• Care
WL as well, is there a difference between active status and waitlist, or are they basically the same? Interviewed in August

Accepted yesterday! OOS, complete 7/25, interviewed 9/17, LM 72

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
WL as well, is there a difference between active status and waitlist, or are they basically the same? Interviewed in August

There is no difference, their waitlist is called active status.

Pre-II R today. complete 7/12. in state

Pre-II R yesterday, complete 7/11. Best of luck everyone.

Did you have to wear a mask for those who interviewed in person?

Around what proportion of applicants would you say wore masks for the in person interviews so far?

Around what proportion of applicants would you say wore masks for the in person interviews so far?
I don't remember any applicant wearing one when I interviewed, but they split you up into groups. So maybe a handful were idk.
Some of the volunteers were wearing masks tho, that was about 50/50

I don't remember any applicant wearing one when I interviewed, but they split you up into groups. So maybe a handful were idk.
Some of the volunteers were wearing masks tho, that was about 50/50
Agreed here, I don't think any applicants were, but many MMI interviewers/other staff were.

I interviewed at VTC on 10/15, and have been lucky enough to gain admission at my state school! However, VTC is my top choice. Does anyone have opinions on a letter of intent? I have heard mixed remarks about them, but I want to do everything possible to end up at this school. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

I was in the afternoon interview group on circuit A, and I don't recall any of my interviewers wearing masks. None of the applicants I spoke with wore one either.

For people who interviewed, are you guys sending Thank you notes. I don't really have any information on any of my interviewers and was just wondering if you guys are and how you guys are doing it.

Vent post: I’m IS, 5,000+ research hours, 3 pubs, stats above their medians, complete 7/13 and this is the only VA school that hasn’t given me an II. I’m extremely grateful for my other interviews so if VTC doesn’t want me then oh well, but goes to show that nothing in life is guaranteed!

For people who interviewed, are you guys sending Thank you notes. I don't really have any information on any of my interviewers and was just wondering if you guys are and how you guys are doing it.
I uploaded a thank you note to the portal

Any recent IIs from here? It seems eerily quiet as not much has been heard from here for some time.

Any recent IIs from here? It seems eerily quiet as not much has been heard from here for some time.
complete 7/31 and have heard nothing from them since submitting my secondary. I’m IS

complete 7/31 and have heard nothing from them since submitting my secondary. I’m IS
Hopefully they sent out something after Thanksgiving. According to last cycle's thread, some IIs were sent out during the first week of December so maybe they'll say something during that time.

Anyone know when decisions from 10/15 interview will be released?

Usually the second Tuesday in December. Though that was for interview dates that were a bit later in October. So might be Dec 6 this year. My bet would still be Dec 13. Look for that call from the 540 area code. Good luck!

Usually the second Tuesday in December. Though that was for interview dates that were a bit later in October. So might be Dec 6 this year. My bet would still be Dec 13. Look for that call from the 540 area code. Good luck!
Just wanted to pop in that my call was actually not from the 540 area code because I think the person who called me used their personal phone! LOL so just... answer your phone regardless

Hi everyone! Just wanted to see what the general census is about interest/update letters for VTC. I was complete in early August, OOS with research heavy app, and really love this school. Have not heard anything, and I am debating on writing a letter of interest/update since the option is available on the portal. Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to see what the general census is about interest/update letters for VTC. I was complete in early August, OOS with research heavy app, and really love this school. Have not heard anything, and I am debating on writing a letter of interest/update since the option is available on the portal. Any advice is appreciated :)
I would do it if it is a meaningful update (accepted pub/abstract, conference poster, significant new experience). I got an interview ~1 month after sending an update letter with new additions like the above and a short paragraph with what I think is unique about VTC and how my background ties to those programs/VTC attributes. VTC is the only school I took the time to write about "fit"/why I like them in an update, and I do think that can help.

If you think something is in the pipeline, wait until it is accepted before submitting since that is more weight -- they have an interview date each month till Feb based on last year, so there's plenty of time.

I sent a letter of intent a month after my interview because I 100% know I want to go here. I also had some updates in it but mostly talked about why I think it would be a good fit, some of my experiences in Roanoke outside the interview, and my intent to attend the school.

• Love
I would do it if it is a meaningful update (accepted pub/abstract, conference poster, significant new experience). I got an interview ~1 month after sending an update letter with new additions like the above and a short paragraph with what I think is unique about VTC and how my background ties to those programs/VTC attributes. VTC is the only school I took the time to write about "fit"/why I like them in an update, and I do think that can help.

If you think something is in the pipeline, wait until it is accepted before submitting since that is more weight -- they have an interview date each month till Feb based on last year, so there's plenty of time.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! My updates would be a poster I worked on/presented not at a conference but at the universities symposium. The other thing would be an org I started working with, which was not in my primary or secondary. I have a pub in progress that has yet to be accepted, so I don't want to include that since it isn't as significant. With that being said, would you think this would be a meaningful update with the inclusion of stated interest in the school? I am a little on the fence and appreciate brutal honesty.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! My updates would be a poster I worked on/presented not at a conference but at the universities symposium. The other thing would be an org I started working with, which was not in my primary or secondary. I have a pub in progress that has yet to be accepted, so I don't want to include that since it isn't as significant. With that being said, would you think this would be a meaningful update with the inclusion of stated interest in the school? I am a little on the fence and appreciate brutal honesty.
If you can submit to a local conference or regional one in the next month, I think that would be a more significant update (could build on the findings you just presented) to VTC and any other school. You could talk to your PI/mentor for help with identifying an upcoming conference and see if they can partially cover submission/travel fees. I think if the pub is fully drafted and submitted, you could slip in when you mention an accepted abstract or external poster that the paper is in peer review. This just tells them where the project is at (complete) and if you do interview, the person will have the update and know they can talk to you more at length about it.

My personal opinion: I don't think the university symposium is a significant update alone. Maybe the org involvement if you perceive it as significant (getting to be a couple months of involvement, good chunk of time e.g., 5-10 hrs/week, meaningful impact thus far, it has impacted you and how you perceive medicine/your career). Keep in mind I'm a fellow applicant, and I don't know how exactly different updates are perceived. I read a bit about them when trying to decide timing for mine and this seemed to be what blogs said.

If you can submit to a local conference or regional one in the next month, I think that would be a more significant update (could build on the findings you just presented) to VTC and any other school. You could talk to your PI/mentor for help with identifying an upcoming conference and see if they can partially cover submission/travel fees. I think if the pub is fully drafted and submitted, you could slip in when you mention an accepted abstract or external poster that the paper is in peer review. This just tells them where the project is at (complete) and if you do interview, the person will have the update and know they can talk to you more at length about it.

My personal opinion: I don't think the university symposium is a significant update alone. Maybe the org involvement if you perceive it as significant (getting to be a couple months of involvement, good chunk of time e.g., 5-10 hrs/week, meaningful impact thus far, it has impacted you and how you perceive medicine/your career). Keep in mind I'm a fellow applicant, and I don't know how exactly different updates are perceived. I read a bit about them when trying to decide timing for mine and this seemed to be what blogs said.
Updates and more so, communication throughout the cycle are tricky. I think our manuscript being accepted will be the most significant update where I can include some other things, so right now I am leaning toward waiting for that to submit an update. I definitely don't want to update just for the hell of it and because I'm anxious lol. But I SO appreciate your feedback and talking through it with me :giggle: