2015-2016 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what time in August it's starting? I hope Orientation doesn't start on Monday August 1st.

Anyone know what time in August it's starting? I hope Orientation doesn't start on Monday August 1st.

According to the Admissions Coordinator, August 1st is the first day of orientation! I guess I better secure housing....

Yeah, I think I'll be moving in around the 15th of July to get everything set up before that.

Anyone have an idea of how long the waitlist is?

Reactions: 1 users
^ that and also around when do people on the waitlist start hearing news? I read it was around May but just want see if anyone else knew anything

You guys think it would be worth sending an update letter now (OOS been on WL since end of Jan) or should I wait until May?

You guys think it would be worth sending an update letter now (OOS been on WL since end of Jan) or should I wait until May?
Now i am no expert in the matter but to me, what makes the most sense, is to send the letter around this time. The list starts moving in May but you are actively reviewed and ranked as the months go by, so an update letter would be a nice boost to your application (i think waiting until may would be too late and decrease your chances)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Now i am no expert in the matter but to me, what makes the most sense, is to send the letter around this time. The list starts moving in May but you are actively reviewed and ranked as the months go by, so an update letter would be a nice boost to your application (i think waiting until may would be too late and decrease your chances)

Vey good points, thanks!

Anyone know what the dress code is like for Second Look days here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else in the waitlist receive a letter about financial aid?

If you are on the waitlist ? No... What does it say ?

It was such a tease, had red "return service requested" stamp on the front which led me on then inside it said basically "we noticed you applied for finaid but aren't accepted. Lol sux ttyl". Knew the small envelope couldn't be any good news but still, salt in the wound. Not cool WVU

It was such a tease, had red "return service requested" stamp on the front which led me on then inside it said basically "we noticed you applied for finaid but aren't accepted. Lol sux ttyl". Knew the small envelope couldn't be any good news but still, salt in the wound. Not cool WVU
Yea it pretty much just reminded you that you weren't accepted...yet lol

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the waitlist!! OOS interviewed in early December! I'm just nervous about OOS tuition. Can any current students speak a little bit more about scholarships?

Also, how much does a 1 bedroom apartment usually range from in Morgantown?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist!! OOS interviewed in early December! I'm just nervous about OOS tuition. Can any current students speak a little bit more about scholarships?

Congrats!! I hope there is more movement in the works!

Uh, I got a 1 bedroom for about 620. It's pretty nice, but doesn't include utilities or trash removal. The usual range varies between 600-700 depending on what you're looking for.

These values are by no means representative, but just based off the places I viewed. If you want more info about specifics feel free to pm me.

Did you hear via email?

for those of you who are IS, do you mind me asking what your credentials were? I'm getting ready to apply and still unsure what new MCAT score is considered competitive

for those of you who are IS, do you mind me asking what your credentials were? I'm getting ready to apply and still unsure what new MCAT score is considered competitive

I asked them about it on the interview and they said ~80%tile(507-509) would be considered competitive.

Hey guys I interviewed on 1/15 and was wait listed. OOS. I'm just wondering if many people on here, who were/are in the same boat, have heard any news yet regarding acceptance/rejection off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I interviewed on 1/15 and was wait listed. OOS. I'm just wondering if many people on here, who were/are in the same boat, have heard any news yet regarding acceptance/rejection off the waitlist.
I was wondering the same thing. I heard that after April 30th people on the waitlist should be hearing news since it's the deadline for admitted students to pick where they want to go

OOS waitlister with strong ties, interviewed early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I tried searching this forum but wasn't able to find anything about the computer requirements. Can any current students give me more information about that?

I tried searching this forum but wasn't able to find anything about the computer requirements. Can any current students give me more information about that?
You are given a Macbook Air before the semester starts. By given I mean the cost is included in the tuition.

Got the call this morning!!!!!!! I must say, this being April of my second cycle, that the relief is very much welcomed. First MD acceptance and couldn't be happier about the school! On four other waitlists, but can't believe how blessed I am just to have this one. WVUSOM ftw

Reactions: 7 users
Got the call this morning!!!!!!! I must say, this being April of my second cycle, that the relief is very much welcomed. First MD acceptance and couldn't be happier about the school! On four other waitlists, but can't believe how blessed I am just to have this one. WVUSOM ftw

Congrats!!!

GOT THE CALL!!! OFF THE WAITLIST!!!! My first MD acceptance, I'm crying. Guess I should start looking at housing!

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome ! Congrats!! When did you interview?

It was my first interview actually. Interviewed September 18th. Was waitlisted on October 15th, and have been sending monthly update letters since then haha. It's been a very long wait. I'm OOS with no direct WV ties, however, I'm from a rural state and am interested in rural healthcare.

Got the call!!! Finally off the waitlist! Super excited for my first MD acceptance as well!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who recently came off of the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the call!!! Finally off the waitlist! Super excited for my first MD acceptance as well!

Isn't it a magical phone call?! Dr. Nield was the one who called me, and it all seemed like such a blur because I was trying not to freak out with excitement as she was talking to me. Congrats to you!!

Reactions: 3 users
I got the call! Accepted off the waitlist this morning! First acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
I got the call! Accepted off the waitlist this morning! First acceptance!
Congrats! Hope they have more spots! Keeping my fingers crossed! Question for you and others accepted off the waitlist, did you send a letter of intent or anything while on the waitlist?

Congrats! Hope they have more spots! Keeping my fingers crossed! Question for you and others accepted off the waitlist, did you send a letter of intent or anything while on the waitlist?

I sent three update letters, one of which was sent about 3 days before I got the "off the waitlist call". I was waitlisted back in October, so I did one around November (intent), Jan (update on academics), and April (update on spring activities, more intent).

I am on the other end of the spectrum when compared to the member above. I never sent a single letter. I interviewed early September. Waitlisted 10/15

I did not send any letters of intent, and I recently got accepted. Interviewed in early February and was waitlisted. Best of luck!

I was accepted last week! I sent in 3 letters updates and interviewed in October. My stats are a bit above the average for last years entering class, I am OOS, and have in-state ties. Does anyone know if there is a class of 2020 forum, or at least know which apartments/housing are popular with the medical students? Also, I was told by a medical student on interview day that there was a dedicated medical student study area being built.. I was wondering if this was true (any current med students mind shedding light on this if possible?)? Sorry for all of the questions! :)

I was accepted last week! I sent in 3 letters updates and interviewed in October. My stats are a bit above the average for last years entering class, I am OOS, and have in-state ties. Does anyone know if there is a class of 2020 forum, or at least know which apartments/housing are popular with the medical students? Also, I was told by a medical student on interview day that there was a dedicated medical student study area being built.. I was wondering if this was true (any current med students mind shedding light on this if possible?)? Sorry for all of the questions! :)
There's a Facebook page, maybe try looking for WVU School of Medicine class of 2020. Someone posted the link a few pages back if you can't find it. If you want to walk to class, Georgetown, Copperfield Court, and Chateau Royale are the major 3 apartment complexes in the area. I've seen incoming 1st years posting about housing and roommates already on the FB page so that will give you more of an idea.

It's more of a lounge than a study area. It's pretty nice though. There are desks/study spaces, but there are also areas to eat, watch TV, and hang out so I'd imagine it can get loud in there depending on the time of day. It's med student access only though so that's nice. I don't use it much as a third year, but I think the first and second years use it a fair amount between and after classes.