2015-2016 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M12B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2015-2016 Secondary Prompts:

Each essay should be no more than 250 words.

1. In medicine, one needs resilience in some situations to persevere. Describe a time when you have demonstrated resilience to achieve your goals.

2. Part of the Hippocratic Oath is to “do no harm” What does this mean?

3. Other than a family member who has been the most influential person in your life and why?

4. If you had a $1000 to give to a charity, which one would you choose to give the money to? Why?

Thank you to @4-cyclohexene for the prompts!
Best of luck to you all! Go Mountaineers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
abandon hope all ye who enter here

good luck applicants

good luck applicants

Hahaha don't scare them before they even apply!

Hey guys, I'm an *almost* third year at WVU (just one more shelf exam and Step 1 to go!). Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the school!

Members don't see this ad :)

good luck applicants
Omg I was accepted this year and I'm starting this august. Why would you say that? You're freaking me out jk.

Omg I was accepted this year and I'm starting this august. Why would you say that? You're freaking me out jk.
Haha it's not that bad! Us second years are just in the midst of 5 shelves followed by Step 1 so it's a little crazy for us right now. First year isn't bad at all though, you'll have tons of fun! Second year is a lot more work, but still doable.

Haha it's not that bad! Us second years are just in the midst of 5 shelves followed by Step 1 so it's a little crazy for us right now. First year isn't bad at all though, you'll have tons of fun! Second year is a lot more work, but still doable.
Oh ufff that's a relief hahaha jk. Thank you.

are OOS accepted here?
If you're working on your school list, I would highly recommend purchasing the MSAR online, if you haven't already. It is undoubtedly invaluable!

OOS is accepted here! According to MSAR, it looks like they interview about 20% of OOS apps and about 50% of their matriculating class is OOS.

Applying OOS and I'm stoked!

Attend here currently for undergrad. Really hoping to get some love from my school:D

Edit: WV native. LizzyM 65

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just found out today that they only accept Jan 2014 and later MCAT scores, and I took mine in July 2013, so I'm going to have to start the study process all over again. FML.

Yes, they should've communicated this better. I only found out because I searched their website and saw that.

Yes, they should've communicated this better. I only found out because I searched their website and saw that.

January 2014 only gives those who took less than one gap-year...

Last edited:
Well...I got the pre-secondary rejection today lol.

"Thank you for your interest in and application to the West Virginia University (WVU) School of Medicine (SOM). Your AMCAS application and supporting information have been received, and after a holistic review of your application, we are unable to extend an invitation for a secondary application. As you may or may not be aware, the WVU School of Medicine is a land-grant institution and, as such, strong preference is given to West Virginia (WV) residents and out of state residents with strong ties to the state."

Whoops. At least the email was really nice lol. Good luck to the rest of you guys!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Well...I got the pre-secondary rejection today lol.

"Thank you for your interest in and application to the West Virginia University (WVU) School of Medicine (SOM). Your AMCAS application and supporting information have been received, and after a holistic review of your application, we are unable to extend an invitation for a secondary application. As you may or may not be aware, the WVU School of Medicine is a land-grant institution and, as such, strong preference is given to West Virginia (WV) residents and out of state residents with strong ties to the state."

Whoops. At least the email was really nice lol. Good luck to the rest of you guys!!!
Are you from the East coast? Also I'm sorry for the unfortunate news.

@ellocarter, Hey man I'm a CA resident. But it's interesting because in last year's thread there were tons of people that got secondaries with no ties to WV. Either way, its all good, its life. Good luck to you!
Best of luck to you as well!

Got the axe today as well. :( Good luck to everyone in the running still.

Got the cut. OOS but no ties to WV other than being from a neighboring state through which it gets its name...at least I think VA is a neighboring state to WV...not sure? Thank gosh geography wasn't on the MCATs! Best of luck to you all!

Got the cut. OOS but no ties to WV other than being from a neighboring state through which it gets its name...at least I think VA is a neighboring state to WV...not sure? Thank gosh geography wasn't on the MCATs! Best of luck to you all!
Oh boy.

OOS here. First rejection of the cycle! Must have been a fairly high threshold. Oh well.

In previous cycles it seemed as though secondary invite=interview invite as well. Does anyone know if that is the case for this application cycle? Thanks!

first OOS rejection. CA resident. I have large part of my family living in Ohio, would that count as in-state ties? :nailbiting:

Other than rejections, has anyone gotten any other communication from the school - like secondary invites? I'm OOS but have a substantial amount of family living in the area, so I'm hoping I don't get cut.

K, not applying here. It seems my state is too far and I have no ties.

Other than rejections, has anyone gotten any other communication from the school - like secondary invites? I'm OOS but have a substantial amount of family living in the area, so I'm hoping I don't get cut.
Hi! I got a secondary invite from them this afternoon, and I am OOS.

Thank you! Do they screen for all applicants? or just OOS?
The fact that a lot of people are getting rejected pre-secondary should indicate a screen. If they didn't have a screen, the majority of the posts would have been about the secondary and everyone would have already gotten it.

The fact that a lot of people are getting rejected pre-secondary should indicate a screen. If they didn't have a screen, the majority of the posts would have been about the secondary and everyone would have already gotten it.
They screen, per MSAR and their website.

Welp.... my first rejection. Does not feel good.

At least it wasnt for my stats or related to my app.

It seems they are very hardcore about having people from the west virginia area. Had I known this, I wouldnt have applied here. I just assumed they took a decent amount of OOS from the MSAR.

I"m from the Midwest and still got rejected

Secondary Prompts

1. In medicine, one needs resilience in some situations to persevere. Describe a time when you have demonstrated resilience to achieve your goals.

2. Part of the Hippocratic Oath is to “do no harm” What does this mean?

3. Other than a family member who has been the most influential person in your life and why?

4. If you had a $1000 to give to a charity, which one would you choose to give the money to? Why?

Good luck everyone! Keep your head up if you didn't get a secondary. Everyone on SDN has been so supportive and great throughout this process and I know we will all achieve our goals and be great physicians. :)

Being from a bordering state does help a bit, but I wouldn't not apply because you're from the West coast. There's at least 5 people in my class from the west coast and many from other far away states. WVU is more about you fitting their mission than about your scores and where you are from.

Being from a bordering state does help a bit, but I wouldn't not apply because you're from the West coast. There's at least 5 people in my class from the west coast and many from other far away states. WVU is more about you fitting their mission than about your scores and where you are from.
What about the mission should we fit?

That makes no sense. It seems their major reason for rejecting applicants pre-secondary is that we arent from the east side of the USA or have strong ties to it. Maybe those 5 people from the west coast have strong ties like close family members in the east coast. Those west coasters in your class would have still gotten interviews then.

Read the above email.

Does anyone know if being a Pittsburgh-are resident counts as "close-ties" to WV? I live only 1.5 hrs from the school